Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee snow & black ice?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Their was a nasty accident in Farranfore a couple of days back, was at 6.30am. Have had 3 people say to me 'it was confirmed it was black ice' followed by 'it was snowing in Tralee that night'

Obviously I :rolleyes: followed by :mad:

Just thought I'd checkin, I can see no source for this nonsense, any other locals confirm this is nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Min temp in Cork yesterday was 10 degrees, Min in Shannon was 11 degrees.

Unless there was a very freak isolated weather system between the two places, the chances of black ice are next to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056374870&page=17

this was put up also ??

last post on page ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

http://twitter.com/#!/brianhurley1

Thats the show I heard it on

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

That was yesterday morning. AFAIK you were right to :rolleyes:.
    I heard totally unconfirmed rumours that there were loose chippings just after a bend in the road. May be total nonsense of course...
    Thoughts are with that poor mans family, terrible tragedy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

"Black Ice" has become an almost magical, mystical phrase in Ireland (or perhaps elsewhere). Any time someone loses control of their car, it's almost guaranteed that someone will say "It must have been", lower their voice to a whisper then "black ice".

Funnily, people were even saying this during the last few 'big freezes'. Even though the roads were covered with snow or normal ice, people blamed all slides on "black ice". I guess in post-tiger Ireland regular normal ice just isn't good enough for us any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

PM sent to original poster.

Original reports are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Tactical wrote: »
    PM sent to original poster.

Original reports are incorrect.

Care to share?

Pangea wrote: »
    Care to share?

All I can say is that reports contained in the thread in relation to black ice are inaccurate.

I won't be answering further queries in relation to this thread and have only posted and PM'ed strictly from a weather point of view.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

All I can say is that reports contained in the thread in relation to black ice are inaccurate.

I won't be answering further queries in relation to this thread and have only posted and PM'ed strictly from a weather point of view.

Heaven forbid you discuss the report from a weather point of view in the Weather forum... :confused:

There was me thinking I'd stumbled into the CT forum :pac:

I don't have a "report" on the incident.

I've simply stated that original reports of black ice are inaccurate, nothing more, nothing less.

Get over it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Thanks for the PM Tactical, I thought ice (of any colour) was a little premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There's a black ice conspiracy in Tralee and the cover up has begun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ch750536 wrote: »
    Thanks for the PM Tactical, I thought ice (of any colour) was a little premature.

I would of been surprised to have seen a thread with this title even in last years big freeze, kerry is not known for its snowfields :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I don't have a "report" on the incident.

I've simply stated that original reports of black ice are inaccurate, nothing more, nothing less.

Get over it.:rolleyes:

You did give the impression - deliberately or otherwise - that you had some secret information that you were not allowed to divulge publicly, so it was natural that people ask you for more details. All that talk about PMing and strictly from a weather point of view...

Anyway, there was no ice, so what have we learned? Don't believe a word you hear in the media (as if we didn't know that already).

Of course I don't have "secret" information :rolleyes: Just local knowlege of the road in question at the time in question

Anyhow Su, perhaps you might be able to explain a little bit about the differences between ice and what is referred to as black ice.

What difference, if any, is there between ice and black ice? Are there different conditions , if any, that lead to one or the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think black ice is the term given too it when its not visible on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes, it's that clear glaze of ice that forms when a layer of water freezes on a cold surface. Frost, or rime, on the other hand, forms when water vapour freezes onto a cold surface, giving that white finish.

Black ice is a lot more slippery and less visible than rime, hence the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

All road temp at 5 deg below the surface are above 5 degC. There was no ice in the last few days.....
    http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp

Advertisement