Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranks Dock Road - Scaffolding?

• 23-09-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

ranks_1.jpg

I'm surprised and disappointed with you all - passed this yesterday morning at 8.51am and the Scaffolders were just getting started.

- Now its halfway up the building...... Please do not adjust your set - Image above is pre-scaffold taken randomly from web etc....

So whats going on?
    Will it be worth 10 million to the City?
    Where will Kess73 store his Gimp set now?
    Will it result in more sirens on Childers Rd/By the Crescent/On the Dublin Rd.?
    Will the Garda Helicopter be able to hover over this event/occurence?
    Why isn't Ranks included in the "Limerick businesses closed" thread?
    Won't the Zombies climb those scaffolds and dive-bomb traffic on the Dock Rd.?

P.S. Wouldn't you just love to climb those ladders leading to the mad front door at top left?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Raiser wrote: »
    P.S. Wouldn't you just love to climb those ladders leading to the mad front door at top left?

I have been on the top of the landing at that door. I went up the inside of the building with my grandfather a long time ago. I didn't want to climb the outside stairs.

Remember the bridge crossing between the two buildings? That was badly decayed at the time so we didn't cross it.

That building is a strong visual memory for many people in Limerick. It would be weird if it was not there anymore but then again, would we miss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Cool! What the inside like? Is it a big hollow like a massive storage Silo?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My grandfather worked there for years. I'd say it'd be strange for my parents' generation if the building was gone, as so many people would have known friends and relatives who'd worked there.

Chances are it's just being reinforced/renovated. I'll be in that way tonight so I'll see if I can find out any more just by looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's being turned into a huge nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

You can go right to the top using an internal metal staircase. I've been to to the top a few times. I was up there once and a guy with me stood on the wall, fall outwards and he'd be mincemeat :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

That is where the zombies are hiding before the coming apocalypse :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rumour has it M&S will be opening there shortly. Either that or another Cash for Gold shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

This thread reminded me of the efforts to demolish the silo in 1989. Four attempts were made to bring the building down with explosives and every one of them failed. On one attempt, the silo jumped about 8 feet into the air and landed back in the same spot still intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    ranks_1.jpg

I'm surprised and disappointed with you all - passed this yesterday morning at 8.51am and the Scaffolders were just getting started.

- Now its halfway up the building...... Please do not adjust your set - Image above is pre-scaffold taken randomly from web etc....

So whats going on?
    Will it be worth 10 million to the City?
    Where will Kess73 store his Gimp set now?
    Will it result in more sirens on Childers Rd/By the Crescent/On the Dublin Rd.?
    Will the Garda Helicopter be able to hover over this event/occurence?
    Why isn't Ranks included in the "Limerick businesses closed" thread?
    Won't the Zombies climb those scaffolds and dive-bomb traffic on the Dock Rd.?

I will just store the suit the same way I always do, by making you wear it.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

db wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of the efforts to demolish the silo in 1989. Four attempts were made to bring the building down with explosives and every one of them failed. On one attempt, the silo jumped about 8 feet into the air and landed back in the same spot still intact.

Can remember that clearly. Was in Limerick at the time as a teenager and we went down to see it happen, well as close as you were allowed to go.

Was very anticlimatic as there would be a loud crack when they set off the charges and the building stood there with a big "eff you" type attitude. :D

Used to love coming to Limerick as a kid when both buildings were standing and they had the bridge thing between them. Loved being in the car driving between them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I have been on the top of the landing at that door. I went up the inside of the building with my grandfather a long time ago. I didn't want to climb the outside stairs.

It's one of those few buildings in Limerick (St Mary's Cathedral and King John's Castle being some of the others) that I'd love to get an unrestricted look at. Just out of pure curiosity, it'd be interesting to see the old/unsafe parts that are usually closed off to the public. Could be a decent idea for a new thread, actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

db wrote: »

dam straight....my auld man was at the attempts...germans if i recall correctly...no way could they understand it...the thing should have been in bits after the amount of explosives they put into it..

Ball and chain was the only job in the end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

was in first year in clements in 89, we got let down to the back pitches to have a birds eye view of the explosions.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

My Grandfather also worked in Ranks.
    Got to say it was the coolest Building in Limerick for years.

Fecking skyway across a road!!!! in little ol Limerick all those years ago.
    The kind of thing you dont even see now in the 21st Century in Limerick.

I remember Ranks being on the RTE news with a compilation of several attempts to bring the building down with explosives only to resort to the wrecking ball.

When one side had eventually gone the riverside building hosted a few
    businesses but for some reason they all had back luck and shut shop after
    a while. I think at one point there was a Lamp Shade shop???

Would have loved to climb the ladders and crossed the bridge between the two buildings but
    sadly never ever got the chance.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

seachto7 wrote: »
    was in first year in clements in 89, we got let down to the back pitches to have a birds eye view of the explosions.........

You're old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

There's a great photo of the old Rank's Silos here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45755268@N00/4380055889/

Used to love driving by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Mc Love wrote: »
    You're old :D

I'm old???:mad::mad::mad: I'm getting like David Brent. "I'm in my 30s"......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a great photo of the old Rank's Silos here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45755268@N00/4380055889/

Used to love driving by them.

That looks cool, wish I could have remembered them. I probably did see them.

That skywalk is a lot more impressive than the one the Leader used to have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I worked there for a few years , and my father worked there for decades, it was a fascinating place . I often wondered why they had to be knocked at all, they were just mafnicicent buildings with the most expensive maple floors. Why they could not be converted to other uses like all those textile mills I saw in New England I'll never know.

Great structures and great employers, the good old days where a job was for life (if you wanted it and passed the blood test )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd say it'd be strange for my parents' generation if the building was gone, as so many people would have known friends and relatives who'd worked there.

Who cares really? A lot of eyesores hold memories for people. Should we just preserve them all so as not to ruin their nostalgia buzz? Level the place imo, should have been done a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Who cares really? A lot of eyesores hold memories for people. Should we just preserve them all so as not to ruin their nostalgia buzz? Level the place imo, should have been done a long time ago.

I suppose that depends on you definition of ann eyesore, I always thought the original structure on each side of the dock road had a kind of grandeur and a lot more going for them that some of the more recent buildings in our fair city.

marienbad wrote: »
    I suppose that depends on you definition of ann eyesore,

Which Ann is that? Annie Fitz?

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

You think the building is an eye-sore, fair enough. That's no reason to crap all over an honest post that obviously means something to me. I was not looking for some kind of self-centred "nostalgia buzz". I was remembering a place where my late grandfather worked for most of his life.

Going by your logic, every ruined castle, tower, church, cathedral and graveyard should be bull-dozed as some token of enlightened modernity. Why not try to learn from it as a piece of local history? Why not try to re-model the building as a new resource for the city? Why talk about razing the structure instead of thinking about some of the photos and paintings its featured in?

"Who cares really?" People posting in this thread do, obviously, to some extent at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

What did Ranks do exactly? And why was the silo demolished?

Limerick appears to have one of the better preserved docks in Ireland. Preserved in italics as I'm not sure that its intentionally preserved or just hasn't been touched for years.

BESman wrote: »

Limerick appears to have one of the better preserved docks in Ireland. Preserved in italics as I'm not sure that its intentionally preserved or just hasn't been touched for years.

They were the biggest flour producers in Britain and Ireland - full name was Ranks Hovis McDougal with factories all over ireland of which Limerick was the biggest.

Back in the mists of time they invested in the xerox machine which was just invented. Rank Xerox went on to prosper while the flour milling industry wilted away bit by bit over the years.

J Arthur Rank film studios - with your man banging that gong was another one of their ventures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

BESman wrote: »

You mean you don't remember the ad "You no use Ranks, then how you hoping to win"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dam straight....my auld man was at the attempts...germans if i recall correctly...no way could they understand it...the thing should have been in bits after the amount of explosives they put into it..

Ball and chain was the only job in the end..

The gib of the ball and chain crane got bent trying to knock it......I have a photo somewhere that I'll upload later if I can find it.

Going by your logic, every ruined castle, tower, church, cathedral and graveyard should be bull-dozed as some token of enlightened modernity.
    Hmm, quite a silly extension of logic. The building on the dock road has no features which might be expected on the buildings which you have listed above. It is an ugly slab of concrete, much in the same way as that eyesore on William St.

I wasn't attempting to downplay the regard the building holds for your grandfather. I was merely stating that for me it's an ugly building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hmm, quite a silly extension of logic. The building on the dock road has no features which might be expected on the buildings which you have listed above. It is an ugly slab of concrete, much in the same way as that eyesore on William St.

I wasn't attempting to downplay the regard the building holds for your grandfather. I was merely stating that for me it's an ugly building.

It is 160 years old and one of the few buildings of historical significance left in the city as a reminder to its industrial past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sorry about the low quality, but you can still see the crane bent right over the top of the remains of the building

oops_ranks.jpg

Advertisement