Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi cycling stuff 29th September

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

How good is 30% Marino wool on 'Marino' shirt, anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I can recommend the gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

:pac:
    vektarman wrote: »

Always popular. Better sizing than Lidl. The usual scrum for the stuff. Touch, Pause, Engage! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Anyone know if they have sold the bike stand previously?? Any feedback?? 4 bikes in 1 too many in my apartment....

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Assuming someone is completely unprepared for winter cycling and wants to keep up fitness levels what would you recommend here for around €60-€70. Already have regular cycling shorts/jerseys/rain jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

cipo wrote: »
    Anyone know if they have sold the bike stand previously?? Any feedback?? 4 bikes in 1 too many in my apartment....

Thanks

I bought a couple last time.

They do the job.

You need to screw the top into the wall for stability, but not strictly necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Cycling jacket looks decent enough, anyone any experience of wearing one. Sturdy, warm? Can't afford to be splashing out on gear thiswinter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Already recommended the socks in another thread well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Cycling jacket looks decent enough, anyone any experience of wearing one. Sturdy, warm? Can't afford to be splashing out on gear thiswinter.

Have one, only wore it a couple of times in the depths of the snow last winter. If anything it is too warm - completely waterproof but also completely non breathable.
    Also so fluorescent it hurts the eyes.

I don't get much use out of it, but when I do I'm very happy to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Sent the link on to the GF. Her bill comes to €230 :eek:

The compression stuff seems ok, have the t-shirt for a while comfy enough.

THe bike stand could be on the cards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wouldn't mind getting the bike stand myself, just to keep the bike up off the carpet in my apartment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

used one of their cycling tops as a layer for skiing worked out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

souter wrote: »
    If anything it is too warm - completely waterproof but also completely non breathable.
    Also so fluorescent it hurts the eyes.

Are talking about the rain jacket or the winter jacket here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Last time these came around I bought the gloves, the winter cycling trousers, the cycling rain jacket and the winter cycling shirt.

Just bear in mind the items may not be exactly the same as those in their previous deal, though they do look the same in the pictures.

The gloves I have only used a couple of times, they are very cosy and more suited for very cold weather. A pair will roll up to the size of a tennis ball.

The winter cycling trousers are decent enough though I found the padding slightly large and it didn't exactly follow my contours leading to a small bit of discomfort on longer rides.

The cycling rain jacket will stop the rain getting in but as mentioned previously is not breathable, I wouldn't fancy having to wear this on a long ride. Overall quality seems decent enough, zips and stitching appear adequate. This jacket does not roll up small, the best I can get is a bit bigger than a water bottle.
    6Pe8v.jpg

The winter cycling shirt has to be one of my favourite cycling jerseys and one of the cheapest. Very comfortable, will keep you warm and is breathable. Plenty of length at the back with a kind of sticky elastic trim that will hold it to your shorts and stop it riding up. 4 back pockets one of which is zipped. Front zip is sheathed at the top to prevent irritating your neck. The main stitching is sturdy and of very good quality. Material is 95% polyester and 5% Elastane-Lycra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

velo.2010 wrote: »

Have the winter cycling jacket from last year. Used it quite a bit through the winter. Front, shoulders and front of sleeves are windproof, water resistant softshell fabric with light fleece backing. Back and part of sleeves more breathable. Worked well in the cold with a long sleeve thermal underneath. Well worth EUR18. Bit too warm for this weather. Might get another one.:)

Also bought one of the long sleeve thermals last year - great bit of kit for the price. This year's looks fancier.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

the light set looks alright for 7 bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

happytramp wrote: »
    Are talking about the rain jacket or the winter jacket here?

The rain jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

re: mudguards.... these clip on:confused:

they look it ... also +1 on the socks.

looking for generic cycling shoes meself but i'm bigger than size 10 so that rules out Aldi's ones.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anyone have the overshoes? Any good? I need a pair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Is the bike stand a work stand or just for storage??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Are the winter cycling trousers, actually tights? If yes, are they much different to the compression underwear? Which would be better to get ? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Khannie wrote: »

I bougtht a pair last year, I put them on and the zip broke before I even left the carpark.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Are the winter cycling trousers, actually tights? If yes, are they much different to the compression underwear? Which would be better to get ? :confused:

I was wondering the exact same thing.......Has anyone ever got these or something similar before???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was in Aldi at the weekend and I had a look at one of their little catalogues/booklets showing what was in store next week. From the photos, the winter cycling trousers seem to be a bit too baggy to be tights. They looked more like tracksuit bottoms on the model. Although it says they are padded :confused:
    So my plan is to maybe get the compression underwear and wear them over my normal bib shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm also looking for generic cycling shoes too, anyone get these ones before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just paid 10 euro last week for puncture kit and levers at West Side Cycles Ireland, arrgh
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_18470.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Are the bike stands any good for maintenance? I.e can you rotate the peddles fully on the stand? also the base looks a bit narrow to be very stable??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Khannie wrote: »

Yep, they will keep your feet warm but not dry - but they dont claim to be waterproof. If anything they are a bit loose fitting but you will pay alot more than €9 for a more snug fitting overshoe. All depends on how much you plan to use them and if you suffer from cold feet.

No, they are trousers. If you are used to wearing bibs then these might not suit. Maybe just get the leg warmers to wear with bibs. You could also wear the compression underwear with the bibs and leg warmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I bougtht a pair last year, I put them on and the zip broke before I even left the carpark.

Jaysus. That's bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm liking the look of the sports travel speaker. I think it would be good to be cycling down the quays blasting out some tunes. It has an FM receiver built in so I should be able to tune in to FM104 for some pop music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm liking the look of the sports travel speaker. I think it would be good to be cycling down the quays blasting out some tunes. It has an FM receiver built in so I should be able to tune in to FM104 for some pop music.

Is it wireless?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Anyone know if the waterproof trousers are worth getting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

eoin88 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the waterproof trousers are worth getting?

I had them before and they were really good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Thanks Captain Havoc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Quite a push on TV for this sale. Haven't seen that before for either of the German brands. I suddenly have the morning free so I might get down there after all before the 'good stuff' is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Anyone know if the cycling underwear (bottoms) could be used for running? I assume so - would doubt there's a chamois pad with them but just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Anyone know what time Aldi open tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

i think they open @ 8am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Marcin B

All stores open at 09:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Open at 9 yeh, Has anyone used their full finger Gloves, any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any opinions on the 3 stripe Velcro shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Aldi in Mullingar this morning reminded me of that scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where they are searching for the last golden ticket. The carpark was almost full at 8.58am. There was a queue at the door. When I got in there, there were about 8 ladies surrounding the cage with all the reflective jackets and the winter cycling trousers. A line of men stood back. The ladies were pushing and shoving to try to get more room. The men stood in an orderly queue. Any male that went near was snarled at with a show of teeth :D They were throwing stuff from one cage to the next in the search for sizes. I didn't think that things were so competative in the world of women's cycling clothing.

I picked up a winter cycling trousers that one had thrown and landed on the ground, my size, perfect! Its exactly what I wanted. It will keep me lovely and snug for the winter cycling. They have a nice padding in them and they fit perfect.

Was going to buy a pair of gloves, but I think I'd prefer mits instead of gloves.
    Might go back there later on, but I suspect that most of it will be sold - there was a queue to get into the carpark as I was leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I got the the yellow rain jacket, the winter jersey, and the trousers... threw in some socks and a pair of leg warmers too.
    one guy ahead of me was there with a big box and he filled it up with stuff.. he seemed to be pleased with himself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Parnell St. was mental, as usual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It was pretty mental in the Aldi on the Headford Rd. in Galway. There were about 30 people in a queue outside when the store opened. Most people were after the rain jackets and the jerseys. One particular woman had a trolley and was taking about 10 of every item! She was annoying everyone by taking so much stuff, so people started grabbing stuff out of her trolley whenever she wasn't looking! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Was calm enough in Childers Road Limerick.
    Got a few bits, but the soft shell jacket I was gonna buy had a gammy zip :rolleyes: Keep yer receipts I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 canhascheez

Much movement on the €9.99 racks or will I get one at 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fatneck

i had over shoe covers last year....did their job but not that handy for getting on and off, so u end up leaving them on and then the bottoms start to rip. but for 7 or 8 euro u cant go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

A reasonably calm herd of wildebeest at the watering hole of Aldi in Nutgrove. Brisk turnover in stock though, the popular sizes are already thin on the ground. Bagged the winter jacket and gloves, seem reasonably decent.

Plenty of pannier racks and other accessories left. The popular stuff is the clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Pretty busy up on Parnell St. Got a winter jacket and gloves for myself, and winter jersey, jacket and gloves for herself. Not many jackets left at 10am, and couldn't find any men's jerseys in size L.

• Advertisement
Advertisement