Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi cycling stuff 29th September

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I got me a new rain jacket for on the motorbike (over leathers), the rack, a compression top to try out and another towel for work. At Fonthill where business was brisk at 0900.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skuldintape

I was in Aldi on Headford road in Galway. I was about halfway up the queue. You would definitely need to have been there early for the ladies stuff - there wasn't much, particularly of the smaller sizes. I had some men's small trousers in my hand, and I was looking through the stuff for small ladies, while a lady stood next to me talking to her friend about how there wasn't much ladies stuff. I found a ladies medium, and she just took it straight out of my hand! I said 'Would you mind if I just looked at the sizing on that?' and she said 'Oh right, yeah....' so I took it back and walked away. Such ignorance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Anyone been in Navan? Busy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I was in Aldi on Headford road in Galway. I was about halfway up the queue. You would definitely need to have been there early for the ladies stuff - there wasn't much, particularly of the smaller sizes. I had some men's small trousers in my hand, and I was looking through the stuff for small ladies, while a lady stood next to me talking to her friend about how there wasn't much ladies stuff. I found a ladies medium, and she just took it straight out of my hand! I said 'Would you mind if I just looked at the sizing on that?' and she said 'Oh right, yeah....' so I took it back and walked away. Such ignorance!
    I was going to nip down there at lunch for reflective bands and the cycling trousers. Sounds like I might be too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ciotog wrote: »
    I was going to nip down there at lunch for reflective bands and the cycling trousers. Sounds like I might be too late

You might be too late for the trousers but there didn't seem to be a huge uptake on the reflective bands when I was there earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Nutgrove had loads of stuff left @11.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skuldintape

ciotog wrote: »

There was still quite a bit of stuff there when I left - but you might be limited to the choice of sizes available. Reflective bands should definitely still be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I went to the one in Rathmines. Only 3 pairs of shoes left, none in my size. Got the last 2 pairs of 7-11 size socks, waterproof trousers, winter jacket and reflective bands.
    Not much left tbh, unless you're looking for drinks bottles and/or reflective bands. There was one bike stand left. Arm/leg warmers were thin on the ground, and only small/medium sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Santry / Ballymun was very busy this morning. Stopped in on my way to work. Delighted with the gloves. Star buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Aldi Celbridge still had quite a lot of gear as of Midday. Winter jackets in Large may have been running out.

Tried on the medium Winter jacket and it was a bit of tight fit (put on weight so not surprised) but felt good quality. I got the long sleeve jersey wihich would do as a jacket of sorts with a base layer, plus socks and arm warmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Still some decent stuff left at Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Carpenter wrote: »
    Nutgrove had loads of stuff left @11.30am

Hope thats still the case at 7.00pm...doubtful though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Loads of stuff in Portlaoise, I got the red jacket, 3 pairs of socks and the Lycra pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Calmly picked up a red jacket, gloves, 4 pairs of socks and the stand in Mayfield. A lad in front of me had 4 pairs of shoes and several pairs of the pants, 3 different people in the queue picked fights with him. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Bought a rain jacket, didn't need or really want it but just got caught up in the general cycle goodies spending spree mayhem. :)

• Advertisement

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    3 different people in the queue picked fights with him. Madness.

:confused:

Khannie wrote: »
    :confused:

'Why are you buying so many' etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Aldi Fonthill is running short on most stuff but I got most of what I wanted, unfortunately I dropped into Wheelworx while I was there......one new pair of Mavic Zxellium road shoes later and the budget is shot to pieces:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    'Why are you buying so many' etc.

Would they ask him the same question or fight with him if they were tins of beans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭g0g

Stopped by Finglas earlier (12:30) and picked up a winter jacket and some socks. Most jerseys gone at that stage. 2 stands left and LOADS of bottles! Looked a bit of a mess so I'd say there were masses in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Would they ask him the same question or fight with him if they were tins of beans?

There's always enough beans for everyone. I would be pretty angry too if I turned up to buy something but a person who got there 30sec ahead of me bought twelve of them, leaving none left.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

happytramp wrote: »
    There's always enough beans for everyone. I would be pretty angry too if I turned up to buy something but a person who got there 30sec ahead of me bought twelve of them, leaving none left.
    I'm told that Aldi/Lidl specials sometimes end up on the market for more than the list price. Aldi has actually had notices up before now saying that they took this very seriously. It's an empty threat, of course. There's sod all they can do about it once the product is sold.

If they were really serious, they would impose a 2 per customer limit. I honestly don't know why they don't do this. Maybe they like the scrum, in the same way that Ryanair delights in treating you like cattle. You're a cheapskate and don't you forget it - see you next time, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I just got home and found that the compression top I got is actually a small leggings that someone had switched into the box. What are Aldi like for getting refunds or preferably a replacement, I still have my receipt of course.

happytramp wrote:

I had no problem with him buying the waterproof pants, times are tough and there were some good offers for commuters/hobbyists.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

jinkypolly wrote: »
    I just got home and found that the compression top I got is actually a small leggings that someone had switched into the box. What are Aldi like for getting refunds or preferably a replacement, I still have my receipt of course.
    As far as i know they are fairly good with returns..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I got a few things including the panniers, that was a rash decision, they felt heavy so I got them. €50+ in the end.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

some scrum in Ballincollig at 9.00, apologies to anyone I rucked out.
    jacket and jersey seem fine, not sure about the pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

sure about the pants.

I tested the trousers this evening. They are a great fit (Mine are xl, and xl sometimes is a bit tight on me - I'm no spring chicken)
    They have great coolmax padding which is very comfy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

The Long sleeve compression top is super comfy and the high neck is snug. I can see that being perfect for winter.

Hmmm. I hope the cheapo ones I ordered from sportsdirect are as good. I held off on getting one today because I have two coming from SD. Slightly sorry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Took a trip to Ashbourne at about 6pm. Loads of jackets, shirts & socks left. In fact there was loads of everything left. Only thing they had nothing left of though was the shoes. Are the prices more expensive than last years stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Advice from an expert please.
    I bought the shoes, it says "The outer sole can be adapted to the SPD system from Shimano". I now want to buy pedals and cleats. Checked wiggle, but they have tonnes of different styles, can anyone tell me exactly which ones to get. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Actually, would these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/#more
    and these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-mtb-cleats/
    Work??

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Made it into Nutgrove just before closing.Nada left cept for Large ladies or Small men:mad: Drinking bottles are nice enough so grabbed one of them but that was bout it! Do they restock overnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Advice from an expert please.
    I bought the shoes, it says "The outer sole can be adapted to the SPD system from Shimano". I now want to buy pedals and cleats. Checked wiggle, but they have tonnes of different styles, can anyone tell me exactly which ones to get. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Actually, would these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/#more
    and these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-mtb-cleats/
    Work??

Those pedals and cleats should work fine with the aldi shoes. The pedals come with a set of cleats so you shouldn't have to buy a second set unless you have more than one set of shoes that you want to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ElectraX wrote: »
    Made it into Nutgrove just before closing.Nada left cept for Large ladies or Small men:mad: Drinking bottles are nice enough so grabbed one of them but that was bout it! Do they restock overnight?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

ElectraX wrote: »

The drinking bottles aren't much good for biking as they are not flexible and you cannot squeeze the fluid out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had a look in Long Mile Road and Fonthill Aldis late last night.

LMR has very little of anything left, a few raintrousers, that's about it.

Fonthill still had some Mens winter jackets in S,M, and XL, and a good few Ladies Winter jackets. They had a few of the bike stands. There were some lights , a couple of jerseys, lots of winter gloves, rain trousers. There were loads of the bottles and the rubbish locks, but you should avoid these.

I stuck my nose into Wheelworx as well and found no softshell type jackets, just shortsleeve jerseys for the most part, which I found odd given the time of year. Maybe the burst of good weather in Dublin this week has meant that winter has been cancelled in some shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

The Long sleeve compression top is super comfy and the high neck is snug. I can see that being perfect for winter.

Bought one yesterday and tried it last night ..... went back to Tallaght and bought two more this morning! Really comfortable! Socks are great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

The drinking bottles aren't much good for biking as they are not flexible and you cannot squeeze the fluid out of them.

As was said by someone last year: "You can, but only once"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭deandean

Very happy with the Winter cycling trousers, broke 'em in lasnight. Also got the socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

God i spent over 50 quid alright..

Hit back to Gort shop early that Thursday. they didn't have the compression top and bottoms. I picked up the lights/arm warmers/socks/light arm bands..

arm bands come in handy when running aswell

hit loughrea then for the compression stuff.. happy out in the end.. keep warm and visable for winter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Wheelworx have most of the clothing upstairs now.
    check_six wrote: »
    Had a look in Long Mile Road and Fonthill Aldis late last night.

LMR has very little of anything left, a few raintrousers, that's about it.

Fonthill still had some Mens winter jackets in S,M, and XL, and a good few Ladies Winter jackets. They had a few of the bike stands. There were some lights , a couple of jerseys, lots of winter gloves, rain trousers. There were loads of the bottles and the rubbish locks, but you should avoid these.

I stuck my nose into Wheelworx as well and found no softshell type jackets, just shortsleeve jerseys for the most part, which I found odd given the time of year. Maybe the burst of good weather in Dublin this week has meant that winter has been cancelled in some shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

'tis ponchos and cleated wellies we need in Cork ye jammy east coast louches

Advertisement