Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Shelga wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I went to my first Slimming World class with a friend this week and I have to say, I'm quite confused! The leader seemed to spend the whole class going on on and on about ideas to use up your syns, but in terms of actual real food, what are you supposed to eat all day?! Am I right in thinking it's basically a low fat diet?

I am not knocking it at all, seems to work extremely well for a large number of people, I just don't understand the meal structure? I need someone to say- "Here's what you can have for breakfast, lunch, dinner", etc. What really throws me is that some things only have syns if you're eating them in addition to your main food intake for the day??

Could someone shed light on how you structure your meals?

Also I wasn't mad keen on the fact that she was talking about Flumps as a treat for about 10 minutes, rather than focussing on everything in moderation... :-/

Look at all your free foods - that's what you can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    Sometimes the groups seem to focus more on syns, but that's misleading - the beauty of slimming world is the massive variety of free foods which help you to vary your diet from day to day.
    There are great recipes in the SW magazine and on the website but once you get to grips with synning you can adapt most recipes to suit the plan.
    Speed soup is great as it's filling, cheap and easy to make.
    Is it basically a low fat diet? Not really - you're also limiting high sugar foods and focusing on the types of food that keep you full for longer.

Have a good read of the book, it's a handy resource, and if you've any questions throw them up on this thread - people are really helpful :)

Here's what I ate today - not that it's brilliant but might help as an example:
    40g All Bran (B choice for fibre) with 200ml low fat milk (A choice for calcium etc) and a banana (superfree)
    Muller Light (free) and grapes (superfree)
    Coffee (free) with a big splash of low fat milk (1 syn) and sweetener (free)
    Turkey breast (free) and yellow peppers (superfree) stirfried in Frylight (free) with homemade tomato sauce (free/mostly superfree) and pasta (free)
    Homemade slimming world brownie (2 syns) with quark (free), sweetener (free), vanilla extract (free) and strawberries (superfree)
    I didn't have a proper lunch today because I slept late but the proportions are right - one third superfree with every meal etc. 3 syns so far (I may have a bit of chocolate later!). Usually I would pack a few more portions of fruit and veg in but I didn't have much of an appetite (for once)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

dee_mc wrote: »
    40g All Bran (B choice for fibre) with 200ml low fat milk

I have 250ml low fat milk, I wasn't sure if what I am drinking is semi skimmed so I treat it as such!

My menu so far is:

Breakfast: 2 Weetabix (Healthy B) and 250ml Milk (Healthy A) with Melon and frozen fruit

Lunch: Salad (Tomatoes, Lettuce, turkey, eggs) and I had an apple & Clementine as a snack.

Dinner: Chicken breast with Broccoli & Carrots

Syns: Ketchup - 2 syns, WW salad cream (1 syn) and Meringue Nest - 3.5

I struggle sometimes knowing what to use the syns on because I feel sometimes I don't need them lol :D

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have 250ml low fat milk, I wasn't sure if what I am drinking is semi skimmed so I treat it as such!

My menu so far is:

Breakfast: 2 Weetabix (Healthy B) and 250ml Milk (Healthy A) with Melon and frozen fruit

Lunch: Salad (Tomatoes, Lettuce, turkey, eggs) and I had an apple & Clementine as a snack.

Dinner: Chicken breast with Broccoli & Carrots

Syns: Ketchup - 2 syns, WW salad cream (1 syn) and Meringue Nest - 3.5

I struggle sometimes knowing what to use the syns on because I feel sometimes I don't need them lol :D

I know what you mean about the syns!
    I don't measure the milk anymore to be honest - I use a little less than the allowance on my cereal but seeing as I don't measure it I punish myself by synning the milk I take in coffee :D Bloody ridiculous now I see it written down but hey ho!

Hadn't measured myself in a few weeks, did it last night and I've lost a total of 42.4 inches in the 3 months. That's over a metre! The areas I measure are my shoulders at short sleeve level, my bust above and at bra line, tummy at navel, one upper arm, one thigh, one wrist and one ankle above the bone.
    I can't recommend measuring as well as weighing highly enough: it's a brilliant motivation to keep going when you have a wobble :)

I know what you mean about the syns!
    I don't measure the milk anymore to be honest - I use a little less than the allowance on my cereal but seeing as I don't measure it I punish myself by synning the milk I take in coffee :D Bloody ridiculous now I see it written down but hey ho!

Hadn't measured myself in a few weeks, did it last night and I've lost a total of 42.4 inches in the 3 months. That's over a metre! The areas I measure are my shoulders at short sleeve level, my bust above and at bra line, tummy at navel, one upper arm, one thigh, one wrist and one ankle above the bone.
    I can't recommend measuring as well as weighing highly enough: it's a brilliant motivation to keep going when you have a wobble :)

That is amazing! You are doing so well. :) I have never really measured myself I must admit :o

I actually amazed myself tonight, I would have a shower but when I was using a bath towel, I was never able to close it around my body and have it cover me (they are cheap Argos bath towels :o) but I noticed today, I can close it around my body. :D It gave me such a huge encouragement! :D

Vahevala wrote: »
    That is amazing! You are doing so well. :) I have never really measured myself I must admit :o

I actually amazed myself tonight, I would have a shower but when I was using a bath towel, I was never able to close it around my body and have it cover me (they are cheap Argos bath towels :o) but I noticed today, I can close it around my body. :D It gave me such a huge encouragement! :D

Yay good on ya! I'm delighted today because I picked up a dress which I thought by 'eyeballing' would fit in a few weeks... just tried it on and it fits without even opening the zip :D
    It really is the small triumphs that keep us going :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 thatgirl1

Hi ladies and gents, I was thinking of joining my local slimming world on Tuesday evening, but I'm feeling a bit wary of it as every diet I've had before has caused me to put on more weight in the long run!

I now need to lose about 4 stone (hopefully a good portion of that within six months) as I'm getting married, would you recommend sw to someone like me?

thatgirl1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies and gents, I was thinking of joining my local slimming world on Tuesday evening, but I'm feeling a bit wary of it as every diet I've had before has caused me to put on more weight in the long run!

I now need to lose about 4 stone (hopefully a good portion of that within six months) as I'm getting married, would you recommend sw to someone like me?

A thousand times yes.
    Throw out every preconceived notion you have about dieting and commit to SW, you will see great results.
    It just works, simple as.
    Have a read of this thread and see the amazing results people are achieving - it really really works :)

Thanks! Am really thinking of going for it as a few people I know have had success with it. I'm also willing to try anything at this stage as I've put on over a stone since I tried on my wedding dress in the shop in April and I'm terrified that it won't fit me when it comes in :-(.

My big downfall is chocolate...are there any good simple recipes for people with sweet tooths? I think that's where I fell down in other groups!

Thanks! Am really thinking of going for it as a few people I know have had success with it. I'm also willing to try anything at this stage as I've put on over a stone since I tried on my wedding dress in the shop in April and I'm terrified that it won't fit me when it comes in :-(.

My big downfall is chocolate...are there any good simple recipes for people with sweet tooths? I think that's where I fell down in other groups!

Search this thread or my posts for slimming world brownies recipe, they're lovely and less than 2 syns. Made some as little cupcakes yesterday, got 12 little cakes from half the recipe making them even less synful (ooh, must copyright that!) but still give a nice chocolatey hit.
    If you want chocolate you can have it every day if you like and still lose the weight, I have a bit nearly every day, just not in massive quantities anymore (and I enjoy it more now too).
    Muller Light yogurts are great for a sweet treat and they are 'free' meaning you can technically eat as many of them as you want.
    HiFi bars are the business too, you can buy them at group and they're very satisfying.
    Once you've signed up you will have access to the SW website which has loads of recipes.

Wow that's brilliant! You've definitely convinced me to give it a go! Hoping to get along as well as everyone else here seems to be doing!

• Advertisement

Wow that's brilliant! You've definitely convinced me to give it a go! Hoping to get along as well as everyone else here seems to be doing!

If it wasn't for this thread I think I would've caved and eaten my (original) weight in chocolate at times: great place to come when you need some motivation and encouragement :)

SW definitely works and I am really enjoying the plan. I did calorie counting prior to this and I hated it, I was starving all the time (which I never am on SW) - it is a brilliant plan and I am seeing results every week. I used to crave takeaways all the time before but now I live my life happily without them (that is a personal thing) but nothing is denied in this plan.

So far 10 weeks in, I have lost every week (hope I don't jinx myself now!) but it simply works, follow the plan and you will do it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Give it a go, I was always so sceptical of these weight loss clubs, but after meeting my friend in Scotland during the summer who has lost over 4 stone in 18 months she convinced me.

It takes a while to get your head around the fact that you can still eat so much and lose weight.

Pop down tomorrow night to your club, don't put it off, you can still have a great Christmas on this plan and will be so happy afterwards when you lose weight over the festive season instead of gaining it. Best of luck!!!

I was hoping to hit the 2 stone loss this week, but I damaged my instep on Thursday night playing football, still can't walk properly. Had miss a match yesterday, really disappointed as I was loving the walking and football. Still staying on the plan but I feel for me the exercise with the plan is my thing. Fingers crossed for a full recovery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

How much exercise do you guys do on this plan? I've bought some Jillian Michaels dvds as I want to tone as well as losing weight. I love the plan its just I miss working with my kettlebells :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I was hoping to hit the 2 stone loss this week, but I damaged my instep on Thursday night playing football, still can't walk properly. Had miss a match yesterday, really disappointed as I was loving the walking and football. Still staying on the plan but I feel for me the exercise with the plan is my thing. Fingers crossed for a full recovery!!

I find that exercise doesnt make a huge difference to my weight loss.

If you are worried then up your superfree and superspeed to help to boost your loss.

Hopefully all goes well for you.

I don't do much exercise if I am honest, I tried to do keepfit videos and I ended up only losing 1/2 lb but I plan to try to start to do a bit of walking... I find I lose without the exercise.

I know the plan works with food only, but I just can't get my head around that if don't exercise I'll lose weight. I love the walking and the football was more a social meeting weekly to get me out of the house and meet new people. Was at doc this evening, have torn the ligaments in my foot, so no exercise for 6 weeks.

Hope the anti inflamatories don't affect the weight loss too much? :(

Got my half stone award and slimmer of the week last night ^_^ Never felt as good as I did last night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Last week my second week I only lost half a pound I was so angry at how little I was expecting more, so I fell totally off the plan that week. I had chinese twice, pub grub twice, breakfast out, frys and pizza and not to forget the wine and beers. Weighed today and was the same. I'm actually happier this week than last week cause I thought I'd be up. This week is after motivating me more than the half pound lose! Anyway just goes to show the diet works even if it is little losses. Just bought the fakeaway book, looking forward to the weekend already!

• Advertisement

Just a heads up, my auntie made the SW Christmas pudding from this year's Christmas book and it is, to quote her (she's in her sixties) 'epic'. I tasted a bit and it's one of the nicest puds I've tried. So if anyone wants the recipe just let me know and I'll pop it up on this thread :)

Just a heads up, my auntie made the SW Christmas pudding from this year's Christmas book and it is, to quote her (she's in her sixties) 'epic'. I tasted a bit and it's one of the nicest puds I've tried. So if anyone wants the recipe just let me know and I'll pop it up on this thread :)

I'd love the recipe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I'd really love to make burgers tonight- what do people use for burger buns that's a reasonable syn value?

Christmas Pudding - serves 10
    Each serving is 7 syns on extra easy, green and original.
    Suitable for vegetarians

Ingredients
    225g dried mixed fruit
    1 tbsp brandy
    50g self raising flour
    85g white bread, crumbed
    50g dark brown sugar
    170g carrots, peeled and finely grated
    1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    a pinch of ground cinnamon
    grated zest of 1 orange
    grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
    3 large eggs, beaten
    75 ml Guinness or stout
    to decorate - cranberries, mint sprig, 1 level tsp icing sugar (to dust)

Method
    Put the dried fruit in a bowl with the brandy, mix well and leave to soak for several hours or overnight if time permits.
    Add all the other ingredients to the dried fruit and brandy (remembering to make a wish!) and mix thoroughly.
    Tip the mixture into a 1.2 litre pudding basin. Cover with a double thickness of baking parchment and then a piece of foil and tie securely with string.
    Place the pudding on top of a steamer above gently simmering water. Cover with a lid and steam gently for 5 hours, topping up the water in the bottom of the steamer if necessary.
    When the pudding is cold, replace the covers with clean ones and store in a cool, dry place until Christmas Day (it can be stored for up to 3 months).
    Reheat on Christmas morning by steaming gently for 3 hours. Alternatively, remove the covers, place cling film over the basin and microwave on high for 6 minutes. Turn out on to a serving dish, decorate with cranberries and a mint sprig and dust with icing sugar to serve.

My two cents on reheating it - what we've always done is to slice the pudding before reheating and only heat the bits that will be used straight away. We pop the slices on a microwave proof plate, arranged in the pudding shape but with a space in the middle for a shot glass full of cold water. Cover with a larger pudding basin or bowl and microwave on high until it's steamy and fabulous (probably 5-6 minutes, depending on number of servings) - keeps it really moist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

mejulie805 wrote: »
    I'd really love to make burgers tonight- what do people use for burger buns that's a reasonable syn value?

We use Slimsters. I think they're 5 syns but totally worth it.

SW chips are free
    home made burgers are free
    nice bit of side salad
    maybe cheese as your HEA if you like

boom

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Yum! Slimsters sound like a great one- thanks!

Christmas Pudding - serves 10
    Each serving is 7 syns on extra easy, green and original.
    Suitable for vegetarians

Ingredients
    225g dried mixed fruit
    1 tbsp brandy
    50g self raising flour
    85g white bread, crumbed
    50g dark brown sugar
    170g carrots, peeled and finely grated
    1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    a pinch of ground cinnamon
    grated zest of 1 orange
    grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
    3 large eggs, beaten
    75 ml Guinness or stout
    to decorate - cranberries, mint sprig, 1 level tsp icing sugar (to dust)

Method
    Put the dried fruit in a bowl with the brandy, mix well and leave to soak for several hours or overnight if time permits.
    Add all the other ingredients to the dried fruit and brandy (remembering to make a wish!) and mix thoroughly.
    Tip the mixture into a 1.2 litre pudding basin. Cover with a double thickness of baking parchment and then a piece of foil and tie securely with string.
    Place the pudding on top of a steamer above gently simmering water. Cover with a lid and steam gently for 5 hours, topping up the water in the bottom of the steamer if necessary.
    When the pudding is cold, replace the covers with clean ones and store in a cool, dry place until Christmas Day (it can be stored for up to 3 months).
    Reheat on Christmas morning by steaming gently for 3 hours. Alternatively, remove the covers, place cling film over the basin and microwave on high for 6 minutes. Turn out on to a serving dish, decorate with cranberries and a mint sprig and dust with icing sugar to serve.

My two cents on reheating it - what we've always done is to slice the pudding before reheating and only heat the bits that will be used straight away. We pop the slices on a microwave proof plate, arranged in the pudding shape but with a space in the middle for a shot glass full of cold water. Cover with a larger pudding basin or bowl and microwave on high until it's steamy and fabulous (probably 5-6 minutes, depending on number of servings) - keeps it really moist :)

Looks fab, thanks dee, another thing to add to my cooking list tomorrow!!

Looks fab, thanks dee, another thing to add to my cooking list tomorrow!!

I'm buying the ingredients for ours tomorrow :)
    I've 4 fruit cakes to make for a wedding and just finished a batch of chilli jam, next is cranberry sauce and then I will wire into dinner... with Slimming World chips, naturally!
    Hmm, now I just have to decide whether to try coming up with a low syn alternative to my evil brandy sauce, or just blow the syns and go with it!

I'm buying the ingredients for ours tomorrow :)
    I've 4 fruit cakes to make for a wedding and just finished a batch of chilli jam, next is cranberry sauce and then I will wire into dinner... with Slimming World chips, naturally!
    Hmm, now I just have to decide whether to try coming up with a low syn alternative to my evil brandy sauce, or just blow the syns and go with it!

Meet your sister, I have the chilli jam made, yesterday I made my red onion marmalade, today its lemon curd and going to make your pudding. For neighbours and friends we don't do gifts as such, so I usually just give them 3 jars of my homemade stuff and a bottle of wine. It works well as others will give us plum chutney, cranberry sauce, spiced beef, sloe gin etc.

Plus I just love making big batches of stuff. Did you make the SW chilli jam or the regular one? I always make nigellas recipe. But I won't be eating it as much as previous years!!

• Advertisement

Had my weigh in this morning and was down a half, considering I'm on anti inflammatories and can't maintain my exercise I was happy enough. Need a pound next week to get my 2 stone down award! Fingers crossed.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement