Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

dee_mc wrote: »
    I, like you, like my weight loss drama- and humiliation - free.

I actually haven't really broadcast to many people that I joined slimming world as I like to keep myself to myself if you know what I mean. But since I've seen that horrible programme tonight I went on a Facebook rant about the unhealthy attitude to weight loss on it and said that I joined SW and how I've been getting on. In the last hour 3 people have private messaged me asking which group I attended and how it all works. One even asked would I mind if they sat with me at it if they joined next week because they're afraid to go on their own. If me, a completely insignificant nobody on Facebook, can encourage one more person to get healthy it just makes the evenings where I want chips but eat fruit instead worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Wellyd wrote: »
    I actually haven't really broadcast to many people that I joined slimming world as I like to keep myself to myself if you know what I mean. But since I've seen that horrible programme tonight I went on a Facebook rant about the unhealthy attitude to weight loss on it and said that I joined SW and how I've been getting on. In the last hour 3 people have private messaged me asking which group I attended and how it all works. One even asked would I mind if they sat with me at it if they joined next week because they're afraid to go on their own. If me, a completely insignificant nobody on Facebook, can encourage one more person to get healthy it just makes the evenings where I want chips but eat fruit instead worth it!

I actually got asked privately by someone who used to publicly slate SW as being a fad diet along with her brother, both of whom are very overweight and go through bouts of fitness frenzy where they eat nothing but spinach and turkey burgers, lose loads of weight, then cram it all back on with snickers bars! When she found out I had shifted 14.5lbs in 7 weeks she asked what the secret was since I couldn't really be losing weight when I eat as much as "they let on you can".
    Think she, and a lot of others, are shocked and intrigued when they finally realise it's actually just a mixture of a calorie-controlled diet and healthy snacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dodge wrote: »
    Its to replicate KFC so I'm not sure what you're expecting... :)

No, seriously. Each of those gel things has 4g of salt (a portion, which they count as a quarter of a gel thingie, contains 1g of salt). Weigh that out to get a visual. I'd imagine Oxo cubes are pretty bad too, all stock cubes are. You'd probably be talking the guts of 15g of salt in the full thing of prepared gravy, that's horrendous. All you'd be able to taste is salt. KFC gravy would be nowhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wellyd wrote: »

I didn't broadcast it either but now that the weight loss is really showing I have loads of people asking 'go on, how are you doing it?', looking disappointed when I tell them I didn't get a tapeworm or hypnotism or some faddy method, then say something like 'bet you can't wait til you're finished and you can get stuck in to the mars bars!' :D:D:D
    But equally, lots of my family and friends have joined now too and are finding it great, so I'm happy to recommend it to people!
    Oh yeah, and you're far from insignificant, take a look at what you've achieved ;) pat on the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    No, seriously. Each of those gel things has 4g of salt (a portion, which they count as a quarter of a gel thingie, contains 1g of salt). Weigh that out to get a visual. I'd imagine Oxo cubes are pretty bad too, all stock cubes are. You'd probably be talking the guts of 15g of salt in the full thing of prepared gravy, that's horrendous. All you'd be able to taste is salt. KFC gravy would be nowhere near that.
    There's nothjng as salty as KFC in my experience; and the gravy we make is lovely. Its hard to argue taste if we both haven't tasted the same thing though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've heard lots of people saying painkillers, particularly antiinflammatories, cause you to retain water. Ladies in my group have had gains of a couple of pounds for that reason, so a maintain sounds like quite a good result to me - try not to get disillusioned, you're doing so well!

Thanks dee, since Christmas eve it's been hard going, no real change. Hope it's better next week. Off the meds now so hopefully will we a loss, although next week is star week it never ends :(:(:(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I had been thinking of going back to Slimming World for a while. I previously lost over 4 stone in sw and found it great. I went though a while were things were not great for me so once again I started to eat a lot of crisps, chocolate, sweets and takeaways.

In the past few days I went back and found out I was not as heavy as I though.
    I was glad to hear this.
    I bought fruit, yougerts and my chocolate fix of curly worlies ( 6 syns) as I need some chocolate each day.

I have to lose 5lbs to get into the next stone zone. I plan to lose 5 stone and see what I look like then as it has been a long time since I was that weight.
    I would like to hear from people here who have lost 4 stone plus, what you did, how long it took ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I maintained this week which was a little disappointing, but i weighed myself the next day and i was actually down 2 lbs, so maybe it was just taking a little longer for the weight to come off this week.

Hopefully will be 2 or 3 off next week then.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Maintained this week too, so have only lost 0.5lb in the past three weeks. I feel so stuck! Trying not to let it get to me today but I'm in the worst of form! Going to try success express (legacy I know) because I've done EE and SP over the past 3 weeks and no point in expecting different results from the same action!

Mejulie, sometimes when i get a bit stuck i change a few things around. Maybe have a diff breakfast or change your syns etc, or eat more speed foods. Just one or two changes might just boost your system a little.

• Advertisement

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Maintained this week too, so have only lost 0.5lb in the past three weeks. I feel so stuck! Trying not to let it get to me today but I'm in the worst of form! Going to try success express (legacy I know) because I've done EE and SP over the past 3 weeks and no point in expecting different results from the same action!

Maybe try a food diary too? Great way to get focused, and if it still didn't show results you could ask your group leader to run through diary with you and see if they have any ideas. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Thanks dee, did that last week and she said it was perfect, only to shake it up a bit because I was kind of having set breakfasts and lunches. Did that, something different every day, and nothing! One last big push this week before I try a different approach altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Does anyone know if pancakes made with slimline milk( from HA), eggs and flour are free ?? Thanks ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

shivers27 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if pancakes made with slimline milk( from HA), eggs and flour are free ?? Thanks ��

I doubt it as the flour would have to be synned. There is syn free recipes if you Google them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Gee_G wrote: »
    I doubt it as the flour would have to be synned. There is syn free recipes if you Google them :)

God , I didn't know there were so many synns in flour !!!! Found a recipe using porridge oats. I'm gonna try them over the weekend. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

shivers27 wrote: »
    God , I didn't know there were so many synns in flour !!!! Found a recipe using porridge oats. I'm gonna try them over the weekend. Thanks.

Yeah they can be free when you use the oats as your healthy b, enjoy :)

Porridge oats are yummy. Soak your 35g porridge which is your healthy b, with a muller light overnight. The mix in 2 eggs next morn and it makes roughly 3 pancakes.

Gorgeous with fruit and more yoghurt over them.

Pancakes made with a banana, 2 eggs and a bit of vanilla extract are delicious. Blitz, fry in frylight, yum. Works best as little pancakes. Not free but you only have to syn the banana (because it's cooked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I ate so much bloody fruit this week, tried to up the veg, cut back my syns to 10 or so and lost 1/2 lb... I know my water is much lower but not much I can do about that. I was close to walking out after weigh in.. I guess I just have to try to plod on... I know it is better than a gain or maintain but I just feel so frustrated.

The week before I had only lost 1 lb so the last two weeks have been crappy and I have been diagnosed with Tonsillitis so I haven't really been eating or drinking (been too painful to do either) so I am expecting a gain next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carolx x

Hi all just joined sw last Monday and I have already fell off the wagon :-( was doing so good all week and today I think I've had about 60 syns :-( weigh in Monday so new day 2moro..just wondering if anyone is feeling a bit crap and has done the same

X x

• Advertisement

Carol try not to worry. Just get straight back on plan. Try and increase your speed foods if you can until weigh in.
    We all have had days or weeks when we go mad but try not to worry.
    I've had losses on weeks where I prob should have had a gain and I've had gains on weeks where I was sure I was down so just do the best you can.
    Good luck with weigh in ☺

I made the half syn cake tonight. Been dying to make it for ages and it turned out fab!! Will be munching on it all night tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carolx x

Hi andreac thanks for the support I'm new to this so hopefully next week will be better..I'm not a fan of veg I try eat some but not a lot I'd be more a fruit person..everyones stories are great to read keeps you motivated

X x

I'm the same carol. Hardly ever eat veg but would have some in maybe stir frys and bolognese etc. Have you made the speed soup yet? That's a good way of getting the veg in if you eat it that way. Or maybe a minestrone soup either. I'm going to make that tomorrow.

If you aren't sure of something just shout as it can take a few weeks to get your head around the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

Hi all I'm getting on well with SW so far. Weighed in on Thursday and am down 13lbs in 4 weeks. I have been exercising a bit as well tho. Looking forward to my stone sticker next week.

I find that you can eat a lot. The hardest thing for me is the sauces. But the recipes that you can get on the SW website are great.

Well done corkchick. A stone nearly in a month. That's brilliant.

What kind of sauces do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

andreac wrote: »
    Well done corkchick. A stone nearly in a month. That's brilliant.

What kind of sauces do you mean?

Thank you.... delighted so far. I want to lose another 3 stone so early days yet.
    for example when your making a pasta bake etc you need to be careful with what sauces you use and watch the syns

You make the sauces by using tins tomatoes, passata etc which are all free.
    Any packets or jars of sauces are all very high in syns. Since I joined the plan nearly 3 years ago I haven't used a jar of sauce since. Everything is made from scratch. But all those type of recipes usually give the Ingredients for the sauce too.
    or if you look up recipes for sw sauces there are loads on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Am trying to do a few days of SP to get me motivated- only gained 2 lbs over the three week Xmas period but have had two maintains for the past two weeks after only half heartedly sticking to plan. Fell off the wagon big time both weekends so was happy the maintains weren't gains but still.....

Anyway, whenever I decide to switch to EE SP I end up giving in and having pasta or potatoes with my dinner or reach for a banana or yogurt out of habit so have always ended up saying today will be an EE day instead ( but having had an extra HEXB it isn't really.....). So today having been SP all the way I got a butternut squash I had intended to make soup with and chopped up about a quarter of it with two carrots and roasted them in a baking dish with some garlic and a few sprays of Frylight. I was making a roast pork and the usual veg and potatoes for everyone else so I put my roast veggies on my plate where the potatoes would normally go and then some green veg and beans along with the pork. I'm not a veg person at all, choose fruit instead if I can, have to remind myself with the kids to eat my veg so thought this would be a dull dinner but the squash felt filling like potatoes normally would and was really tastier... may manage this SP day after all!

• Advertisement

RH149 wrote: »
    Am trying to do a few days of SP to get me motivated- only gained 2 lbs over the three week Xmas period but have had two maintains for the past two weeks after only half heartedly sticking to plan. Fell off the wagon big time both weekends so was happy the maintains weren't gains but still.....

Anyway, whenever I decide to switch to EE SP I end up giving in and having pasta or potatoes with my dinner or reach for a banana or yogurt out of habit so have always ended up saying today will be an EE day instead ( but having had an extra HEXB it isn't really.....). So today having been SP all the way I got a butternut squash I had intended to make soup with and chopped up about a quarter of it with two carrots and roasted them in a baking dish with some garlic and a few sprays of Frylight. I was making a roast pork and the usual veg and potatoes for everyone else so I put my roast veggies on my plate where the potatoes would normally go and then some green veg and beans along with the pork. I'm not a veg person at all, choose fruit instead if I can, have to remind myself with the kids to eat my veg so thought this would be a dull dinner but the squash felt filling like potatoes normally would and was really tastier... may manage this SP day after all!

There's some lovely recipes for veg on the SW site this week, saw one for roasted butternut squash with bolognese served in the cavity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement