Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

andreac wrote: »
    I made the half syn cake tonight. Been dying to make it for ages and it turned out fab!! Will be munching on it all night tonight.

Made this last night and I was really impressed with it! So much so that this morning- there's none left! Although I did leave half of it with my OH when I went to bed :P

Quark as a filling however is not great. Going to do them next time in bun cases and use a bit of aerosol cream and HM lemon curd as a filling for butterfly cakes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I didn't use much of the quark as the filling. I mixed a small bit into a mullerlight and used that along with the strawberries and it was lovely.

Sounds much nicer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Weighed in today, and was down 4LBS! Absolutely delighted with myself, but wasn't that great last week so am feeling I don't really 'deserve' it?!

Can someone give me the recipe for this half syn cake? I've looked but can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

m'lady wrote: »
    Weighed in today, and was down 4LBS! Absolutely delighted with myself, but wasn't that great last week so am feeling I don't really 'deserve' it?!

Can someone give me the recipe for this half syn cake? I've looked but can't seem to find it.

Course you deserve it! Have another look at what you did this week, maybe you weren't as bold as you think! A big loss like that is fantastic, enjoy it and give yourself a pat on the back ;)

• Advertisement

Half syn cake https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=231407260248859&id=164594460263473
    Is this the same recipe you guys use? Thinking of making it this evening, any tips or tweaks gratefully accepted!

Yep that's the one I used! I thought it was fine, although as discussed above, quark not the greatest filling! I did read somewhere though if you mix a sachet of Options White Hot Choc in with quark it can make it taste like cream?? Or also found someone say they did this- Quark, toffee muller, splenda, and cadbury highlights 11g = 2 syns.. Sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Had a bad weekend food wise and stayed the same.
    Kind of relieved

I wouldn't use too much quark for the filling. I used a whole strawberry muller light with little bit of quark mixed in.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Course you deserve it! Have another look at what you did this week, maybe you weren't as bold as you think! A big loss like that is fantastic, enjoy it and give yourself a pat on the back ;)

Ah thanks dee_mc, I appreciate that, I really do. I suppose there was slight improvements, eating breakfast being one of them, but boy I went a bit crazy yesterday! Thanks though, I'm patting myself on the back as we speak!

• Advertisement

So I made the half syn cake this evening, very simple to make, baked for 23 minutes until it was unbelievably tall and glossy and golden brown...
    http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/library/Half%20Syn%20Cake
    Aaaaaand I just looked in the kitchen, and it's now completely sunk - it's about an inch tall!
    Smells a bit eggy, maybe it's a bit underdone (hard to know) but looking forward to tarting it up with some quark mixed with an Options sachet!

Half syn cake update: won't be making that again! Vanilla flavoured omelette/scrambled eggs would about sum up the flavour... quark with Belgian chocolate Options was pretty nice though!

Yuk won't be making that so, I'd prefer a small meringue with fruit and a muller lite yogurt! I think meringues are 3 syns, but need to look it up..

Yuk won't be making that so, I'd prefer a small meringue with fruit and a muller lite yogurt! I think meringues are 3 syns, but need to look it up..

Maybe I did something wrong, some people absolutely rave about it! Hope Fintan the cat likes it better than we did :D

To be honest it's better laid out like a Swiss roll so it's flatter. Then spread the filling on it and roll it up then.

Did you add vanilla extract and sweetener to the egg yoke?

Yours was prob too thick and didn't cook all the way through if you are saying it's still eggy. Should be like that at all. It's better if you do it on a Swiss roll tin and have it flat. It does rise but then goes flat.

20150131_194551.jpg
    My finished cake.

To be honest it's better laid out like a Swiss roll so it's flatter. Then spread the filling on it and roll it up then.

Did you add vanilla extract and sweetener to the egg yoke?

I did, followed the recipe to the letter!
    I might try it as a swiss roll, good idea, it's far too dense :)
    How would you describe the texture when it's done right?

It's exactly like sponge. Just remember to use greaseproof paper and lots of fry light before you put the mixture on it so it doesn't stick. Mine came away from the paper really easy then.

Think I'll make it again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can get small meringues in Tesco (they come in a bucket!) and they're 1 syn each. We've used them with fruit and yoghurt and works well

• Advertisement

Hmmm I changed my mind lol..that cake looks nice, think I'll have to give it a bash! My friend and I are trying to do SW together at home and I'm calling to her for coffee tomorrow, might make it and bring it around!

Do give it a go, m'lady, it really doesnt take long to make! If you don't like it, it'll just be the loss of 4 eggs...

I split my mix into 2 sandwich tins, going to do a swiss roll next time!

Your looks lovely mejulie! I will definitely give it a try, just need to get a Swiss roll tin!

Does anyone have an idea what I could use in place of the white sauce in a lasagne? Please not the one with eggs and philidelphia, I tried it before abd it's awful!

Wow Mejulie, yours looks fab. Im not a baker at all so was lucky to get it to turn out the way it did ha ha.

Haha I tried to posh it up with a bit on the top too! Have to say it was pretty delish but going to make another in a few days (maybe as a pig out after weigh in on Thursday!) and will put something more exciting in it!

m'lady, I tried cottage cheese and egg and it made me retch! I use either
    1.Quark on its own
    2. Quark with an egg
    3. Natural Yogurt with an egg

These all turn out pretty well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

My current thought at the moment is to change my SW group. The one I go to is very local but so it is handy and that is the only reason that I have stuck to it. I am beginning to feel that the group is full of cliques (who I mainly don't really connect to) and the fb page is getting so bitchy and I feel my posts are getting ignored (in between all the bloody posting of whatever is on their plate *yawn*) :(

The worst bit is that I feel I don't get that much support from the consultant... :( I guess you would need to message her in order for her to take an interest in what you are going through

Where are you based? I go to a fab group in meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Where are you based? I go to a fab group in meath.

I am based in Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

up 1.5 pounds.

Feel like giving up now, dont know where I went wrong:mad:

• Advertisement

muirsheen wrote: »
    up 1.5 pounds.

Feel like giving up now, dont know where I went wrong:mad:

Don't give up!!!
    We all have crappy weeks, just keep plugging away, you might have a lovely big loss this week!
    Have you had a chat to your consultant?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement