Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

dee_mc wrote: »
    Don't give up!!!
    We all have crappy weeks, just keep plugging away, you might have a lovely big loss this week!
    Have you had a chat to your consultant?

It's a busy group even to catch consultants attention is not easy. Can't stay for class as I've kids with me. People can lose stones yet I struggle to lose half a stone. Have about 1.5 stones to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

muirsheen wrote: »
    It's a busy group even to catch consultants attention is not easy. Can't stay for class as I've kids with me. People can lose stones yet I struggle to lose half a stone. Have about 1.5 stones to lose

Maybe drop consultant a text and ask what would be a good time to ring? They're generally pretty helpful from what I've heard, my group is ridiculously busy but she always replies to texts during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Muirsheen Def don't give up.

Do you keep a food diary? There has to be a reason you are up and you might not realise where you have gone wrong.
    Write every single down that you eat. Count every syn and measure your healthy extras.

I was like you back in November and I was up few weeks in a row but when I did a diary I wasn't doing it to the best I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

m'lady wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea what I could use in place of the white sauce in a lasagne? Please not the one with eggs and philidelphia, I tried it before abd it's awful!

Get 1 whole bag of frozen cauliflower.
    Put it in a saucepan with some chicken stock. (Just use enough stock to cover the cauliflower)
    Cook until it's tender.
    Drain the stock into a bowl (you'll need it in a minute)
    Then blitz the cauliflower with a hand held blender. It should look like messy white gloop!
    Add a small amount of the chicken stock to the cauliflower and mix it resembles a sauce. (Add more stock if you need. Just add it in small amounts)
    Then throw in a few laughing cow light triangles (I normally throw in 3-4. It depends on how many you're making it for) and blitz til it's smooth.

It's really tasty and you're eating extra vegetables without realising!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

muirsheen wrote: »

I never like staying after being disappointed! So i facebook message my consultant asking her to call me during the week.. and she always does! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cuddlylad

Joined last week, 23st 3. have my first weight in today. only really got into it this week so im not expectiing much but will be making big effort from here on in. it really is managable and i think sticking to the free foods is easy enough and im aiming for no Syns as much as possible.
    will be posting my progress here and also so recepies as i like cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

cuddlylad wrote: »
    Joined last week, 23st 3. have my first weight in today. only really got into it this week so im not expectiing much but will be making big effort from here on in. it really is managable and i think sticking to the free foods is easy enough and im aiming for no Syns as much as possible.

Presuming you're a bloke, best of luck mate. The ladies won't like this but I think it's easier for men. We get more syns and tbh I'd suggest you use a few each day. Genuinely the weeks I do best is when I've had a couple of drinks or a takeaway. Nothing crazy but the beauty of this is that you don't have to deprive yourself of everything.

If you like meat, you'll love SW

Hi there, and good luck for your first weigh in. It can take a few weeks to get your head around the plan.

One thing I will say is Use your syns!! It wont make any difference to your loss if you don't use them. By not using your syns you will be depriving yourself, trust me.
    Are you never going to have a snack like some chocolate or crisps, an extra slice of bread, more cheese, etc etc? That's what your syns are for, so def don't go in with that attitude, as its not a good one to have.

SW is great and there are so many recipes that cater for everyones taste.

Just shout if you have any queries :)

Hi, well done on joining up, it's a big step! I'm going to echo what the others have said re syns, I tried restricting my carbs and using zero (or certainly less than 5) syns every day and my losses were so low... I got annoyed, ate some pasta or SW chips each day and ate a Cadbury's Twirl every night for a week, went for weigh-in expecting a big gain... aaaand had my biggest loss since week one! It's not about deprivation, it's about building everyday 'treat' foods into your daily diet so that you don't feel like having a crazy food and drink blowout because you've been 'so good' :D
    Use your syns and enjoy them, remember it's not a punishment exercise, it's relearning how to eat for life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭lorr27

Hi all, long time lurker but pretty new to posting. Mind if I join ye? I joined sw last week to try and lose my last 2 stone. I'm absolutely loving the diet so far. I thought it was a bit hocus pocus at the start thinking there's no way in hell I could lose weight eating so much! But I'm down 3lbs after my first week. Happy days. I've been reading this thread for the last few days and find it very motivational. Andreac I think I recognise you from a forum. Are you the rottweiler lover? :)

• Advertisement

Hi all, long time lurker but pretty new to posting. Mind if I join ye? I joined sw last week to try and lose my last 2 stone. I'm absolutely loving the diet so far. I thought it was a bit hocus pocus at the start thinking there's no way in hell I could lose weight eating so much! But I'm down 3lbs after my first week. Happy days. I've been reading this thread for the last few days and find it very motivational. Andreac I think I recognise you from another forum I used to use. Are you the rottweiler lover? :)

Yep thats me alright. 3 rotties I have now, mad house ha ha.

Just shout if we can help :-)

Thanks a million, really looking forward to shifting these last two stone. I lost three and a half doing diet drops but it really is the time to do it the healthy way. I'm just after finishing a strawberry cheesecake muller light, delicious! No doubt I'll be picking your brains for recipies and tips x

Just be careful as not all Mullerlights are syn free and I think the cheesecake ones are ones that have syns.

Edit: Just checked, the Cheesecake ones have 1 Syn.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

I am just wondering who calculates the 'syn' value on foods?

take these mullerlight options, equating to 1 'syn', they have little to no nutritional value (hence a 'syn' i guess) but contain approx 12g of sugar per pot.

Now i understand the slimming world plans can allow between 5 and 15 'syns' per day so at the minimum it is allowing 60grams of sugar per day, which is frankly outrageous.

im not here to rain on the parade but if u can see the point i'm making and its an important one.

paddywiggum thanks for the comment, i had a muller light strawberry for lunch today and taking it as free food. iam not a food scientist by any means but im presuming that "slimming world" has some sort of science behind there methods.

Today was my first post on slimming world thread, it took alot for me to take up the courage to go slimming world, my friends dont even know about as id be very embrassed to tell them, you might say ud be too embarassed to be 23 st!!!

Having read thought some of the pervious post here i found a lot of negativity and almost wasnt going to post but i hope il be able to help someone else by posting

help is what i and everybody else on a weight loss program needs, we havent all the abilty to go on low food intake diets or intensive diets or fitness programs and if the slimming world model fits im going to try to wear it(excuse the pun)

with the help of the mods(if they agree) id like to try keep this thread a positive one, where people can share there experiences, weight losses or gains, receipes, excriese habits and tips in general, not be questioning the methods behing the slimming world model.

Ditto Cuddlylad. This thread is for the help and support and advice for anyone doing or wanting to join slimming world. Most people on this thread are losing weight or have lost quite a lot of weight following their plan.

So if it is working then great. Why the need to question it? I know myself I am eating healthier than I have ever been since I joined SW. I cook everything from scratch and use fresh healthy ingredients. So I can only see this as a positive for me. I know when I get to goal weight I will still stay eating the way I am now as its healthy with lots of fresh fruit, veg etc. Im not going to stop doing that once ive lost the weight.

paddywiggum thanks for the comment, i had a muller light strawberry for lunch today and taking it as free food. iam not a food scientist by any means but im presuming that "slimming world" has some sort of science behind there methods.

Today was my first post on slimming world thread, it took alot for me to take up the courage to go slimming world, my friends dont even know about as id be very embrassed to tell them, you might say ud be too embarassed to be 23 st!!!

Having read thought some of the pervious post here i found a lot of negativity and almost wasnt going to post but i hope il be able to help someone else by posting

help is what i and everybody else on a weight loss program needs, we havent all the abilty to go on low food intake diets or intensive diets or fitness programs and if the slimming world model fits im going to try to wear it(excuse the pun)

with the help of the mods(if they agree) id like to try keep this thread a positive one, where people can share there experiences, weight losses or gains, receipes, excriese habits and tips in general, not be questioning the methods behing the slimming world model.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I know someone doing a slimming world plan and when i asked about the 'syns' i was told her consultant tells her.

So its a genuine question to see if anyone here knows the basis, scientific or otherwise for calculating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I know someone doing a slimming world plan and when i asked about the 'syns' i was told her consultant tells her.

So its a genuine question to see if anyone here knows the basis, scientific or otherwise for calculating them?

I am not a nutritionist but I am a chef. This is my thoughts regarding the syns, our bodies need fats and sugars to function along with all the proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins and water. We need these for all our bodily functions, energy, strength etc. we all have our RDA (recommended daily allowance) and that includes some fats and sugars. Anything above our RDA would then be classed as Syns with slimmimg world, other clubs call them different names umms etc,. The idea of syns (I think) is to give our bodies a little of the naughty stuff, it would be very difficult to go through life without having a slice of cake or an icecream or a drink. This plan allows us to have that, but to know our limits.

We were told before Christmas that for chocolate and crisps only, 20 calories of either would be roughly one syn.

I think this plan works because it's very high in fruit, veg, low fat and low sugar but also our bodies aren't deprived of everything.

I think they work out the syns based on the nutritional value of the food item, so many grams of fat and sugar would equate to a syn value.

I may be wrong but that's my interpretation of syns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Finally the scales is moving in the right direction after a hard month, was down 1.5 lbs today. Another 1.5 and I will reach my 2.5 stone goal. Went for a walk today, my first since injuring my feet last November, felt so good to be back out, only a 30 min walk but it's a start.

Class was great today, leader asked members to bring in a dish today of whatever free or low syn food they love. So many ideas for new dishes, it was a great encouragement for us all. I went in with nothing as I hadn't received the text :o:o but from reading this thread i have volunteered to make the half syn cake for next week. I think I may have to make 2 of them going by the interest!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I know someone doing a slimming world plan and when i asked about the 'syns' i was told her consultant tells her.

The values aren't hidden. There's a forumula. In fact on their website is a calculator where you can input the nutritional value of any food item and it can work out the syns. if you're mathematically minded, you could reverse engineer that formula easily enough.

Your friend may get her info from the consultant but all SW members get a pack with a load of pre-measured syns (both branded and generic goods) and the website has even more info.

The basic premise is that some sugar is OK, some fat is OK, some carbs are ok. A high concentrate of any of them isn't (for SW purposes). SW provides a framework for healthy eating but the fact remains that vast majority of members are overweight because of "bold" food. The syn values on food help members understand these can be taken in moderation only (if they wish to lose weight)

There is a bit of science in there too as although fruit is "free", if it is cooked it must by "synned" as cooking fruit can rob it of vitamins and acids that help speed up weight loss (or specifically that help use up carbs and sugars). Asking here won't get you the answers you're probably looking for but it's easily googled.

Dodge wrote: »
    The values aren't hidden. There's a forumula. In fact on their website is a calculator where you can input the nutritional value of any food item and it can work out the syns. if you're mathematically minded, you could reverse engineer that formula easily enough.

Your friend may get her info from the consultant but all SW members get a pack with a load of pre-measured syns (both branded and generic goods) and the website has even more info.

The basic premise is that some sugar is OK, some fat is OK, some carbs are ok. A high concentrate of any of them isn't (for SW purposes). SW provides a framework for healthy eating but the fact remains that vast majority of members are overweight because of "bold" food. The syn values on food help members understand these can be taken in moderation only (if they wish to lose weight)

There is a bit of science in there too as although fruit is "free", if it is cooked it must by "synned" as cooking fruit can rob it of vitamins and acids that help speed up weight loss (or specifically that help use up carbs and sugars). Asking here won't get you the answers you're probably looking for but it's easily googled.

Excellent thanks ill have a further look at the site.

Can anyone help me find out the syn value for a pizza I made for dinner.

Dunnes Be Free gluten free wrap (my heb I think)
    passata
    gammon ham, sweet corn, onion, red pepper
    Low Low Grated Cheese made with semiskimmed milk (30gms)

Cuddlylad my husband is doing sw with me and he is 23st too, it would be good to see both of your weightlosses, a bit of motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

lorr27 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me find out the syn value for a pizza I made for dinner.

Dunnes Be Free gluten free wrap (my heb I think)
    passata
    gammon ham, sweet corn, onion, red pepper
    Low Low Grated Cheese made with semiskimmed milk (30gms)

Cuddlylad my husband is doing sw with me and he is 23st too, it would be good to see both of your weightlosses, a bit of motivation.

Is the ham just normal cooked ham, without any glazes or anything? If you're counting the wrap as your HEB and the cheese as your HEA then it would be free. I think you can have 42g of low fat cheese as your A choice.

Thanks Teletextpear,
    I have skimmed milk as my hea but it would be easier to syn that as I can't find the syn value for the grated cheese anywhere. I had such a hungry day today. I'm stuffed after my dinner but am still thinking of what I can eat next!

Down 1.5 lbs this evening, had a belly load of beer last weekend and really only started on the plan on Sunday. Fluke or not I'm not sure!! Onwards and downwards!!!

I stayed the same this week which I'm happy with, have had a cold now for over 2 weeks and I've been indulging myself by having cheese on toast nearly every day for lunch :) ... also had dinner out one night ... and a slice of cake three days in a row ... oh and a cupcake. So I'm definitely not feeling hard done by!
    Onwards and downwards hopefully!
    Edit: Sorry cuddlylad, I stole your line there!

Well done cuddly lad. Just think how much you could lose next week if you do it the whole week.wwll done! !

I was down 1 and half too. Absol chuffed as I'm now my lightest since I joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

down half a pound, star week and i hurt my back, happy enough, leader said that i must be disappointed- i was delighted with half a pound:confused:- any way back to it for next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mimmi07

Hello all, newbie to this thread.

I joined SW last June, eventually decided I had to commit and get my weight sorted, it had crept up over 20 years. I don't think I had a bad diet before - don't eat too much junk an, but office based work, long commute and enjoying a few glasses of wine on more than a few nights a week, took their toll.

My starting weight was 14st 5lbs - I'm 5"'7", I'm aiming for 11st 3lbs as my target. I have to say I found it an easy plan to follow, as it gave me a sensible eating framework to work with. I have certainly limited my alcohol to only weekends. I also started to walk every day - my fitness has improved greatly. By early October I nearly hit my 2 stone interim target, but then I hit the dreaded plateau. Four weeks on the trot I maintained - I was gutted. I had always been good, never had one blow out and was a steady loser - 1lb or sometimes 2lbs - I really worked hard with the walking to achieve a consistent loss. Anyway, other stuff was going on in my life around the same time as my plateau and I decided not to go to class. However, I still loosely stuck to SW plan, but was more relaxed, I am sure I exceeded my 'syns' most weeks. In late November I jumped on the scales and was surprised to see I had actually broken through my plateau and had lost another 3lbs. So Christmas came and while I didn't have any major blow outs or eat to excess, just general chilling and drinking wine most days meant I put on 7lbs in two weeks. I was totally annoyed with myself, but I had always made a mental note to rejoin SW in January to lose my last stone.

So three weeks in and I have lost 8lbs, but I know this last stone isn't going to be easy. As they say 'it's not the destination but the journey'. Even if it takes me another 6 months and no doubt I will plateau again and may even gain the odd week, hopefully I am on the road to getting my eating sorted. My goal is to eventually be good 80% of the time but kick back for the remaining 20%.

I have my weigh in tomorrow, I am hoping for a pound loss. I went over my syns on Saturday with wine at a friends house but have been on EESP for 4 days, which I don/t find too difficult. To think years ago I was almost addicted to pasta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement