Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mimmi07

Hello all, newbie to this thread.

I joined SW last June, eventually decided I had to commit and get my weight sorted, it had crept up over 20 years. I don't think I had a bad diet before - don't eat too much junk, but office based work, long commute and enjoying a few glasses of wine on more than a few nights a week, took their toll.

My starting weight was 14st 5lbs - I'm 5"'7", I'm aiming for 11st 3lbs as my target. I have to say I found it an easy plan to follow, as it gave me a sensible eating framework to work with. I have certainly limited my alcohol to only weekends. I also started to walk every day - my fitness has improved greatly. By early October I nearly hit my 2 stone interim target, but then I hit the dreaded plateau. Four weeks on the trot I maintained - I was gutted. I had always been good, never had one blow out and was a steady loser - 1lb or sometimes 2lbs - I really worked hard with the walking to achieve a consistent loss. Anyway, other stuff was going on in my life around the same time as my plateau and I decided not to go to class. However, I still loosely stuck to SW plan, but was more relaxed, I am sure I exceeded my 'syns' most weeks. In late November I jumped on the scales and was surprised to see I had actually broken through my plateau and had lost another 3lbs. So Christmas came and while I didn't have any major blow outs or eat to excess, just general chilling and drinking wine most days meant I put on 7lbs in two weeks. I was totally annoyed with myself, but I had always made a mental note to rejoin SW in January to lose my last stone.

So three weeks in and I have lost 8lbs, but I know this last stone isn't going to be easy. As they say 'it's not the destination but the journey'. Even if it takes me another 6 months and no doubt I will plateau again and may even gain the odd week, hopefully I am on the road to getting my eating sorted. My goal is to eventually be good 80% of the time but kick back for the remaining 20%.

I have my weigh in tomorrow, I am hoping for a pound loss. I went over my syns on Saturday with wine at a friends house but have been on EESP for 4 days, which I don/t find too difficult. To think years ago I was almost addicted to pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Wow welld, that white sauce recipe sounds delicious, I'll be definitely doing that! I love my veggie lasagne and miss it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cuddlylad

Bacon spuds and cabbage for dinner tomorrow lads. Bacon and cabbage will be fine but the spuds will be hard to manage without the butter, anyone any tips for this???

Made a stir fry tues night, finished it off tonite.

Fry some chicken in fry light, added some
    All spice, smoked paprika, garlic salt and pepper.
    All the usual veg as much as possible, some soya sauce and oyster sauce,
    Some noodles, the all spice and paprika spice it up a bit and make it more than just a plain stir fry!
    ALL ZERO SYNS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

mimmi07 wrote: »
    Hello all, newbie to this thread.

I joined SW last June, eventually decided I had to commit and get my weight sorted, it had crept up over 20 years. I don't think I had a bad diet before - don't eat too much junk, but office based work, long commute and enjoying a few glasses of wine on more than a few nights a week, took their toll.

My starting weight was 14st 5lbs - I'm 5"'7", I'm aiming for 11st 3lbs as my target. I have to say I found it an easy plan to follow, as it gave me a sensible eating framework to work with. I have certainly limited my alcohol to only weekends. I also started to walk every day - my fitness has improved greatly. By early October I nearly hit my 2 stone interim target, but then I hit the dreaded plateau. Four weeks on the trot I maintained - I was gutted. I had always been good, never had one blow out and was a steady loser - 1lb or sometimes 2lbs - I really worked hard with the walking to achieve a consistent loss. Anyway, other stuff was going on in my life around the same time as my plateau and I decided not to go to class. However, I still loosely stuck to SW plan, but was more relaxed, I am sure I exceeded my 'syns' most weeks. In late November I jumped on the scales and was surprised to see I had actually broken through my plateau and had lost another 3lbs. So Christmas came and while I didn't have any major blow outs or eat to excess, just general chilling and drinking wine most days meant I put on 7lbs in two weeks. I was totally annoyed with myself, but I had always made a mental note to rejoin SW in January to lose my last stone.

So three weeks in and I have lost 8lbs, but I know this last stone isn't going to be easy. As they say 'it's not the destination but the journey'. Even if it takes me another 6 months and no doubt I will plateau again and may even gain the odd week, hopefully I am on the road to getting my eating sorted. My goal is to eventually be good 80% of the time but kick back for the remaining 20%.

I have my weigh in tomorrow, I am hoping for a pound loss. I went over my syns on Saturday with wine at a friends house but have been on EESP for 4 days, which I don/t find too difficult. To think years ago I was almost addicted to pasta.

Welcome mimmi and congrats on your losses to date. I too have hit a plateau, weighed in on Xmas eve and was down 6lbs, then I went up 5 over two weeks of Xmas, lost some, gained, lost, maintained and today lost so hopefully back on track. It is hard to keep motivated during that time, but you have done great since joining back. Here is to hitting our targets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

cuddlylad wrote: »
    Bacon spuds and cabbage for dinner tomorrow lads. Bacon and cabbage will be fine but the spuds will be hard to manage without the butter, anyone any tips for this???

My favourite way to do them is par boil the spuds, let them cool a little, spray in frylight and pop them in a hot oven for roast potatoes. They go really crispy but are still syn free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

My favourite way to do them is par boil the spuds, let them cool a little, spray in frylight and pop them in a hot oven for roast potatoes. They go really crispy but are still syn free!

Or you can use lighter than light mayo. 1 heaped tablespoon is 1 syn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Or why not just use butter and syn it? You are better off to have what you want and syn. There's no need to go without really. Syns are there to be used esp for things like that.

I don't eat butter so I don't know if it's high in syns but you could use a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

there used to be a fry light butter spray but i havent seen it in ages, maybe they dont do it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Hello all felt inspired to post I started SW after christmas ( 23st 3lbs bloke) in hoping to get my 1stone certificate at tonights weigh in ive just 2lbs to lose. I tried sw before and lost a stone and then lost interest and stopped staying for the talk (not easy when its nearly all women!) and ultimately quit. This time is very different, every time I stay for the talk I follow up the following week with a loss, long may that continue! I need to lose 7 stone / 100lbs. Hope to have most of it done within 12 months but I plan to remain a member of sw after I reach target as this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Im walking when I can and plan to join a gym (and actually attend!! ) when I break through the 20stone barrier. At that point I will have established 3 months of good eating habits. Best of luck to you all and I will try and keep you posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hello all felt inspired to post I started SW after christmas ( 23st 3lbs bloke) in hoping to get my 1stone certificate at tonights weigh in ive just 2lbs to lose. I tried sw before and lost a stone and then lost interest and stopped staying for the talk (not easy when its nearly all women!) and ultimately quit. This time is very different, every time I stay for the talk I follow up the following week with a loss, long may that continue! I need to lose 7 stone / 100lbs. Hope to have most of it done within 12 months but I plan to remain a member of sw after I reach target as this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Im walking when I can and plan to join a gym (and actually attend!! ) when I break through the 20stone barrier. At that point I will have established 3 months of good eating habits. Best of luck to you all and I will try and keep you posted!
    welcome and I agree staying to talk is great for motivating you for the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Us men are taking over this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cuddlylad

Fair play lad, I'm facing the same challange as you. I have found in the past that Gyms never work for me, seem to loose more by cycling and walking.
    I get what yor saying about the group afterwards being all women, it is tough alrite and kinda said to myself last night that I would bother hanging around after weight in next week, but then there are little tips and ticks they you I may pick up from group.

Keeps us posted and I will do like wise, it's positive stuff like this we all need to support each other!!

Thanks for the comments, sorry about lack of paragraphs, not easy on the phone!
    will defo pop in here with updates as I go along. currently, my secret weapons are Melon and super speed soup!!
    My consultant was saying that weight loss can be achieved without excercise but i feel for mental health walking at least is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Welcome along to so many new people and best of luck to all of you! I weigh in at 7.30pm and not expecting much as I was sick all week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is there syns in diet drinks or zero drinks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Is there syns in diet drinks or zero drinks ?

Nope all free!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The new "coke life" (green bottles/cans) is less syns but not syn free. I haven't tasted it yet

Coke/Pepsi - 7 syns per can
    Coke Life - 4.5 syns per can
    Coke Zero/Pepsi Max - syn free
    Diet Coke/Pepsi - syn free

I'm a pepsi max man myself...

Welcome mimmi and congrats on your losses to date. I too have hit a plateau, weighed in on Xmas eve and was down 6lbs, then I went up 5 over two weeks of Xmas, lost some, gained, lost, maintained and today lost so hopefully back on track. It is hard to keep motivated during that time, but you have done great since joining back. Here is to hitting our targets ;)
    cuddlylad wrote: »
    Fair play lad, I'm facing the same challange as you. I have found in the past that Gyms never work for me, seem to loose more by cycling and walking.
    I get what yor saying about the group afterwards being all women, it is tough alrite and kinda said to myself last night that I would bother hanging around after weight in next week, but then there are little tips and ticks they you I may pick up from group.

Keeps us posted and I will do like wise, it's positive stuff like this we all need to support each other!!

I stay to class most weeks, it can be helpful.

Today I lost 0.5lbs :( I know it's a loss but I'd been so good for 4 days on EESP and was hoping for a pound loss. What was interesting was that in group many people reported being up or maintaining last week but had a good loss this week - what did they do? Well the answers were illuminating for me.

1) Eating plenty of FREE - just fill up on that before you eat your syns. I realised that my loss this week was hindered by not eating enough,especially Free P foods, they really satisfy me.

2) Try and cut your Syns back. I am going to aim for no more than 10. I am not one to eat bags of crisps or bars, so 10 should be OK.

3) Just try not to over think it. I think this is definitely me, I need to just relax a little.

Finally, I need to start writing things down again - it's amazing how these little things do often help.

I maintained - was a bit disappointed but upon reflection was to be expected.
    Had a bad weekend I only really had 3 good days & 4 not so good so that explains it.
    I grabbed a food diary and will definitely write everything into it that I eat this week, hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

Down .5lb. Ut at least I was down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I accidentally unsubbed from this thread and thought it was gone! Now I have PAGES to read!

Lost 1.5lb last night, after 3 weeks of a combined 0.5lb loss so am happy enough. Nice to see some SP tips. After a bad first experience on it, I might try it for a few days next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am so happy this week, 2 lbs down and got my 3 stone award with Slimming World... after last week, I felt a bit down but this has perked me right up! :D

I am now 2 lbs away from having lost 5 stone in total. So so happy! Let this be a lesson to us all, stick with it, do your best and the results will show! :cool:

Vahevala wrote: »
    I am so happy this week, 2 lbs down and got my 3 stone award with Slimming World... after last week, I felt a bit down but this has perked me right up! :D

I am now 2 lbs away from having lost 5 stone in total. So so happy! Let this be a lesson to us all, stick with it, do your best and the results will show! :cool:

Well done and congrats, that is a great achievement. I think we all hit difficult patches when our bodies start getting comfortable with our weight and what we are eating. I've learnt you still have to plug away, maybe changed things up - eat different things, try an new exercise regime and the weight will slowly come off.

Remember we are trying to change the way we eat for the long term, so being on SW shouldn't feel like an utter chore and a bore. Have a bad day, get back on the plan the next. Maintain or put on a pound onw week, stick with it and see what the next week brings. Well that's what I am trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I went to my Slimming World class this week. It was my 1st week back and I expected to have about 5 lbs down but I only lost 2 and half.
    I did not eat enough food the first week. This week I decided to eat more protein (p) as it keeps me fuller for longer.
    I decided to get out this afternoon for a walk planing to walk from a to b but once I started to walk I decided to do a 3 km walk.
    I have not done this walk for a good 4 months so I am happy I did it.

okiss wrote: »
    I went to my Slimming World class this week. It was my 1st week back and I expected to have about 5 lbs down but I only lost 2 and half.
    I did not eat enough food the first week. This week I decided to eat more protein (p) as it keeps me fuller for longer.
    I decided to get out this afternoon for a walk planing to walk from a to b but once I started to walk I decided to do a 3 km walk.
    I have not done this walk for a good 4 months so I am happy I did it.

A good few people at my group who lost 2 - 2.5lbs this week after a poor week last week said they ate more.

I always think of the fact that your body may think that it's in famine mode so holds on to energy from food and wants to store it as fat. So I try and have 5 small meals a day, as for some reason lately I am hungry after 3 hours. I think this should keep my body happy. Oh and eating protein really helps - chicken pieces and salad, omelette with ham or a really lovely yummy sweet snack but satisfying - sliced apple and a teaspoon of peanut butter - 2 Syns or 4 if you go for a level tablespoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Guys does it matter if you're slightly late to the class? Tomorrow will be my first night and I have a half day so no problems..but going forward I'm probably going to be 10-15 mins late every week coming straight from work?

I think it's ok once you get there before they close off the weigh in machine.
    My class starts at 5.30 and they weigh in until 6 then start the class then and go through stuff. Most people will come in for weigh in between 5.30 and 6. I'm rarely there before 5.50 and it's always fine. You can always weigh in at the end then when they do the new members if you don't make the cut off time at the start of the class.

That half hour is used for new members talk and the other regular members are weighing in during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 beautybrain

Hi everyone,

Thinking of joining SW with my family but unsure whether the online or group option is better.

There's three of us altogether so I reckon that will be €80 for the first week (joining fee and first week), the online option is €75 for three months - is this only geared to one person or could we all follow along? Do you get extra items in the meetings like books that you don't get online and is the Extra Easy plan online? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a total newbie!

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement