Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would advise you and the other people you know to join a class. I found that going to a class helped me do a food dairy, keeps me more aware that I have to be weighted and I also pick up tips re food and recipies that are free or low in syns.

If you buy a few copies of Womans Own on sale from Tue 10th Feb. Check it has a slimming world coupon that offers free membership worth €18.
    You will only have a pay €9 per person for the class with this. Just fill in your name and address on this before class.
    Tell the person who registers you in the slimming world class that you have this coupon and they will charge you €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

okiss wrote:
    If you buy a few copies of Womans Own on sale from Tue 10th Feb. Check it has a slimming world coupon that offers free membership worth €18. You will only have a pay €9 per person for the class with this. Just fill in your name and address on this before class. Tell the person who registers you in the slimming world class that you have this coupon and they will charge you €9.

I did this today.....think magazine was €1.50 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Making falafel and hummus for tasting day tomorrow, delicious if I say so myself! Hoping it might be a good lunch option for me once I return to work in a couple of weeks, might even wean me off my new 'cheese on toast in the afternoon' habit that I've developed in the past couple of weeks since I've had a cold - very bold!
    Totally deserve a gain tomorrow, feeling quite bloated (thanks to the toast and to the ole hormones) so if I've maintained I'll be pleased, and if I've lost so much as an ounce I'll eat the table :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

dee_mc wrote: »
    Making falafel and hummus for tasting day tomorrow, delicious if I say so myself! Hoping it might be a good lunch option for me once I return to work in a couple of weeks, might even wean me off my new 'cheese on toast in the afternoon' habit that I've developed in the past couple of weeks since I've had a cold - very bold!
    Totally deserve a gain tomorrow, feeling quite bloated (thanks to the toast and to the ole hormones) so if I've maintained I'll be pleased, and if I've lost so much as an ounce I'll eat the table :D

Any chance of the recipe for the falafel dee? And did you make your own hummus?

I found the falafel recipe on the SW page in the free food February feature; I had tried it at a previous taster day and found it too earthy and dry so I used a medium egg instead of a small one, reduced the cumin by half a teaspoon, added an extra cm of root ginger and a pinch of dried ginger, plus a third of a red chilli and a big pinch of chilli flakes instead of the chilli powder... I'm allergic to coriander leaf so used about 6 leaves of fresh basil instead of that... added a pinch of turmeric for the lovely yellow colour and mellow flavour... and yeah, they're really tasty! Still a bit dry but a lovely fresh flavour, perfect with the hummus.
    For the hummus, I blitzed a can of (drained, rinsed) chickpeas with a crushed clove of garlic and half a tub of Quark, til fairly smooth, then squeezed in the juice of half a lemon and some salt and pepper. Ended up adding a tablespoon of natural yogurt and a little more lemon juice to tone down the garlic. Next time, I'm going to try roasting the garlic (or just using a bit less) as to me it's quite overpowering, but having said that it's by far the nicest hummus I've made! The Quark gives a bit of richness without the syns associated with tahini :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Being a bit cheeky but don't suppose anyone has spare SW books lying around? Thinking of following it again, did it years ago but got pregnant and gave up after a few weeks and three out the books. Funds don't really allow me to go every week so would like to try do it by myself.

I've a friend who does weight watchers and said she has three or four books at home when she rejoined over the years so thought I'd ask on the off chance someone had the books you get when you join that they didn't need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Guys I've been so bold the last 2 weeks. I missed weigh in last week because of work and again this week because I was in hospital. I feel so awful. I'm trying to stay on plan but missing weigh in is making me be less cautious of the syns I used and I know I've had more than I should for the last 2 weeks. Does anyone know what the story will be when I go back in Monday? Will I just pay €27 for the 2 weeks I missed and next week? I really don't mind because at the beginning of the week I shove a tenner in my purse for SW so I have the last two weeks money. I need a big shake now to get to that 3 stone award.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Will I ever reach my 2 and a half stone mark?????? Down half a pound today, sweet Jesus, I don't know anymore.
    Have gone back to my walking past 3 days, downloaded an app so do 10,000 steps a day, plus I had my swimming. Maybe body is holding back. Anyway I feel fitter and more toned.

I should have done what you did Dee at the start, should have measured myself. Have noticed past week or two almost everything is much much looser.

Next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Will I ever reach my 2 and a half stone mark?????? Down half a pound today, sweet Jesus, I don't know anymore.
    Have gone back to my walking past 3 days, downloaded an app so do 10,000 steps a day, plus I had my swimming. Maybe body is holding back. Anyway I feel fitter and more toned.

I should have done what you did Dee at the start, should have measured myself. Have noticed past week or two almost everything is much much looser.

Next week....

Clappy sometimes when i hit a patch like that i try and change a few things around. SO maybe try that and it might help. Im going to do that when i get back from my hols next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

andreac wrote: »
    Clappy sometimes when i hit a patch like that i try and change a few things around. SO maybe try that and it might help. Im going to do that when i get back from my hols next week too.

Thanks Andreac, I do shake things up, dinner every night is something different, lunch is always the same, love my toasted ham cheese, onion & tomato. Breakfast I change also. Shed loads of speed fruit & veg. I have a few drinks weekend which are my syns, during the week I will eat rice cakes. Not a chocolate or crisp person.

Maybe I need to look more into it ;(

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    Being a bit cheeky but don't suppose anyone has spare SW books lying around? Thinking of following it again, did it years ago but got pregnant and gave up after a few weeks and three out the books. Funds don't really allow me to go every week so would like to try do it by myself.

I've a friend who does weight watchers and said she has three or four books at home when she rejoined over the years so thought I'd ask on the off chance someone had the books you get when you join that they didn't need?

Just to let you know, the plan changed recently so the books etc are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cuddlylad

Well lads, any updates???

Down 2.5lbs tonight, happy with that as went beering again at weekend. Got a walk in a few times in last week, would be great if could get it in everyday. Filling up on fruit as much as possible and using syns as well!!

Hope is everyone else doing well!

Yaaaaaay down a pound! I'm made up :) Think I said if I lost weight this week I'd eat the table, but I'm going to have to settle for pasta, peppers, turkey and tomato sauce, om nom nom :D
    Had a lovely taster day today, some yummy stuff. Also got a nice new book free for signing up to a 12 week plan - great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

was down 2.5lbs delighted. Was taster night, I brought sw fererro rocher

Well I was very bold this eve. Usually have my weigh in but had something on and couldn't make it and got a small pizza from pizza dog along with a kinder bueno milkshake lol.
    Will weigh in tomorrow eve at another class.

Off to new york on Fri so I'm not overly bothered if I'm down or not. Feel like I've lost inches from the gym the last few days.

Well I was very bold this eve. Usually have my weigh in but had something on and couldn't make it and got a small pizza from pizza dog along with a kinder bueno milkshake lol.
    Will weigh in tomorrow eve at another class.

Off to new york on Fri so I'm not overly bothered if I'm down or not. Feel like I've lost inches from the gym the last few days.

You'll walk the feet off yourself in New York if you're anything like me ;)
    Look out for Sunac delis while you're there, they do fabulous salads and wraps and stirfries etc, so not entirely bold but entirely delicious :)

Yeah I'm going to try and be half good. Don't want to be putting up half a Stone when I'm there. I'll Def look out for that place and try not go too mad eating crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Weigh in tonight, but as it is star week, who knows... I would love to get 2 lbs off, then I will have lost 5 stone in total (over 3 stone with SW) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭lorr27

Was down 4lbs last mon and got my 7lbs cert. I'm so happy with that but I am starving all of this week since then. I can't stop thinking of chipper food and chocolate. I've been good so far but I'm heading out tomorrow for the day and I'm already after resigning myself that I'm going to binge bigtime! It doesn't help that I'm up a lb on my own scales this morning. I'm so tired and cranky, really not in the mood for cooking dinners! Does everyone go through a phase like this and come out the other side or is it just me?

Lorr, you really shouldnt be starving on the plan. There is so much free food that's filling that you could eat? Its one im never, is hungry with SW.

What kind of meals etc are you making? What snacks do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

lorr27 wrote: »
    Does everyone go through a phase like this and come out the other side or is it just me?

Everyone does as far as I can see.

Basically goes
    1) initial enthusiasm
    2) extra energy buoyed by good results
    3) first blip
    4) I'VE A PAIN IN ME xxxxx COOKING AND CLEANING NON STOP
    5) up a pound. I'm back on it
    6) woohoo, down 3 pounds this week

and then repeat :)

I have fruit and fibre or banana and yogurt for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch (veg, potato and protein) Dinners are usually spag bol, chicken curry and rice, stew and potatoes. I'm full after I eat but an hour or two afterwards I'm craving rubbish. I usually drink loads of tea and coffee to take the edge off the cravings. I think I'm just addicted to food!

Dodge wrote: »
    Everyone does as far as I can see.

Basically goes
    1) initial enthusiasm
    2) extra energy buoyed by good results
    3) first blip
    4) I'VE A PAIN IN ME xxxxx COOKING AND CLEANING NON STOP
    5) up a pound. I'm back on it
    6) woohoo, down 3 pounds this week

and then repeat :)

^^^ This is me!!!! I'm dreading going to weigh in on Mon cause I can tell ye now I'll be up a lb or two!

I have fruit and fibre or banana and yogurt for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch (veg, potato and protein) Dinners are usually spag bol, chicken curry and rice, stew and potatoes. I'm full after I eat but an hour or two afterwards I'm craving rubbish. I usually drink loads of tea and coffee to take the edge off the cravings. I think I'm just addicted to food!

Are you using your syns for treats?

Are you using your syns for treats?

I do, mostly with my dinner. I would have mayo or ketchup with my sw chips, I would use dolmio for spag bol and count that. On the weekend I have vodka and diet red bull. I'm trying to keep clear of treats as I would only want more. The other night at my course my tutor handed out mini rolls and I couldn't stop myself from taking a second one. After losing almost 4 stone, I'm not obese anymore. I'm a size 14 now down from a 22 but I still could eat like I did back then and it terrifies me. It seems the closer I'm getting to target the hungrier I am. I've still 22lbs to go for my sw target but I can't see that happening in the next few months.

I do, mostly with my dinner. I would have mayo or ketchup with my sw chips, I would use dolmio for spag bol and count that. On the weekend I have vodka and diet red bull. I'm trying to keep clear of treats as I would only want more. The other night at my course my tutor handed out mini rolls and I couldn't stop myself from taking a second one. After losing almost 4 stone, I'm not obese anymore. I'm a size 14 now down from a 22 but I still could eat like I did back then and it terrifies me. It seems the closer I'm getting to target the hungrier I am. I've still 22lbs to go for my sw target but I can't see that happening in the next few months.

You're doing so well!
    It really sounds like you need to snack though, and maybe bulk out your meals more with extra fruit and veg. If you're hungry, then of course you're going to crave the bad stuff!
    Consider flexi syns to control the blow out, it feels good to have a plan and stick to it.

What way do flexi syns work? I didn't think we were allowed to save up syns? Is it that you have extra syns and draw a line under it and start again? Tomorrow's plan is cinema, lunch and drinks. I was thinking no food at the cinema just a coke zero, chicken salad for lunch and the drinks will use all of my syns+. Do you reckon a long walk/jog will counteract the extra syns?

What way do flexi syns work? I didn't think we were allowed to save up syns? Is it that you have extra syns and draw a line under it and start again? Tomorrow's plan is cinema, lunch and drinks. I was thinking no food at the cinema just a coke zero, chicken salad for lunch and the drinks will use all of my syns+. Do you reckon a long walk/jog will counteract the extra syns?

Yeah it's basically to set a limit for yourself and have a bit of a plan, like you've outlined there. I've heard my consultant recommend anything up to 70 syns on a flexi day (just a once in a blue moon thing) and you're supposed to just go back to normal, 5 to 15 syns, the next day. I'd be inclined to try to compensate with exercise in the following days but not by limiting food, just as you've said :)
    I don't think you could entirely counteract a day off, you'd probably be better off resigning yourself to a maintain or reduced loss next week, so make sure you enjoy it and don't put pressure on yourself!
    Everyone needs a day or even a meal 'off' every now and then, just make sure you've got good 'on plan' options ready for your hangover day!

Also lorr, if I was going to the cinema I'd probably bring a hifi bar in my bag, nice to have something to munch on in case you get peckish when others are getting stuck in to the popcorn and sweets!

• Advertisement

Would you not be better off making your spag bol free using tins tomato, passata, beef stock etc? Its an awful waste of syns, i think, using Dolmio etc, when it can be made Syn free. You could be using your syns on nicer things like Curly Wurlys etc.

Have you tried making the half syn cake? Be great for a pig out and only half a syn!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement