Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Hi everyone, so this is my first post on this thread. Decision made....I am joining Slimming World!
    My local class is on a Thursday but unfortunately I can't make it tonight but I am definitely gonna join next Thursday. I'm thinking I'll do the 12 for 10 as you get a free cookbook which would be handy! The only thing is I am away on holidays the last 2 weeks of April, can I book these off or will they be taken off my 12 classes?
    I read about the last 50 pages of this thread and ye have been an inspiration! Ye are doing great! Hopefully I will be able to say the same soon :)
    I have tried various diets and I have lost some weight and put some back on and on my last diet I really struggled as I wasn't allowed have a carb with dinner and I love a bit of rice, pasta or potatoes!
    I will defo be keeping an eye on this thread and hopefully will get more involved once I get into the swing of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I joined on Monday and there was a space on the form for filling in when you will be on hols :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes you just book you holidays with them when you are there. You get 6 in total for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Great, thanks!
    Another question, it says on the website it's on at 7.30pm. Does that mean the meeting starts then? What time would they start weighing do ye think?

Weigh in is usually for first half hour then they do the class. New members talk is during that first half hour though and rest of members weigh in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mimmi07

1lb down this week, I'll take that as I know this last stone is going to be hard. I was good this week and tried keeping my Syns below 10, didn't always manage that, especially if I had one of those evenings when I was 'wanting' something. I don't want to be miserable and hungry, then when I feel I've done enough with SW I am back to another way of eating.
    andreac wrote: »
    Would you not be better off making your spag bol free using tins tomato, passata, beef stock etc? Its an awful waste of syns, i think, using Dolmio etc, when it can be made Syn free. You could be using your syns on nicer things like Curly Wurlys etc.

I use to buy Lloyd Grossman jars but since SW I make spag bol from scratch with herbs,onions, garlic, peppers, paprika, Worcester sauce and passata - all Free and so much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Great, thanks!
    Another question, it says on the website it's on at 7.30pm. Does that mean the meeting starts then? What time would they start weighing do ye think?

At my group the start time is when they start weighing you. That takes a half hour which the leader spend with the new joiners. Then she starts the talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Delighted tonight!! I lost 3 lbs which means I have lost 3 stone 3 1/2 lbs with Slimming World and including weight lost pre SW, I have lost 5 stone 1 lb :D:D

I wasn't expecting it really being star week and all... but delighted :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Vahevala wrote: »
    Delighted tonight!! I lost 3 lbs which means I have lost 3 stone 3 1/2 lbs with Slimming World and including weight lost pre SW, I have lost 5 stone 1 lb :D:D

I wasn't expecting it really being star week and all... but delighted :D:D

That's brilliant vahevala, you must be delighted. That's a fantastic weight loss. Well done!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Well done everyone this week! personally, after maintaining last week I didnt react well to that and fell off the plan going back to old habits and only got back on it Wednesday.
    I was up 3lbs last night. Only thing is I went to class and drew a line in the sand and heres to next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭lorr27

That's a balls rhubarb, you're right though put it behind you and i'll bet you'll have a big loss next week.
    Went to the cinema and ate and drank nothing, they had no coke zero and I hate diet coke so preferred to do without. I had a turkey salad in town and have a mushy pea curry on for dinner. Doing a hell of a lot better than what I had planned, we bought vodka and diet redbull tonight so I'll be still within my syns. I feel so good for overcoming what I anticipated would be a blow out day.

Well done on all your weightlosses guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

lorr27 wrote: »
    That's a balls rhubarb, you're right though put it behind you and i'll bet you'll have a big loss next week.
    Went to the cinema and ate and drank nothing, they had no coke zero and I hate diet coke so preferred to do without. I had a turkey salad in town and have a mushy pea curry on for dinner. Doing a hell of a lot better than what I had planned, we bought vodka and diet redbull tonight so I'll be still within my syns. I feel so good for overcoming what I anticipated would be a blow out day.

Well done on all your weightlosses guys :)

Success story :) Well done missus, have a great night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rrrachy

i am having success with SW.. lost 10lbs in a month...wondering if there is any nice alternatives to the hifi bars... to have with an evening cuppa.. what do you snack on??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

rrrachy wrote: »
    i am having success with SW.. lost 10lbs in a month...wondering if there is any nice alternatives to the hifi bars... to have with an evening cuppa.. what do you snack on??

During the week I have 2 rice cakes with dark chocolate coating. 4 syns each. Love them. Weekends I use my syns on a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We like Alpen light double choc in our house. Either 3 syns or use your HEB and have 2

Curly wurly 6 syns too. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I love salt and vinegar snack a jack rice cakes. The big rice cakes are only 2 syns each. I love a Freddo bar aswell with a cuppa they're only 5syns each. And as many other people have mentioned curly Wurlys are only 6 syns. I always keep them in the freezer then give them a wallop off the work top before I eat them. I can make one last well over an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wellyd wrote: »
    I love salt and vinegar snack a jack rice cakes. The big rice cakes are only 2 syns each. I love a Freddo bar aswell with a cuppa they're only 5syns each. And as many other people have mentioned curly Wurlys are only 6 syns. I always keep them in the freezer then give them a wallop off the work top before I eat them. I can make one last well over an hour!
    would the aldi salt and vinegar rice cakes have the same syns?

whelan2 wrote: »
    would the aldi salt and vinegar rice cakes have the same syns?

I could be wrong but I think they're only 1.5syns each for the aldi ones because they're smaller than the snack a jacks. I just don't like the aldi ones there's a burnt taste or something off them! The snack a jacks are €2.09 for the package and I think there's about 12 in it. I would be lost without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I just love Velvet Crunch Thai Chilli crisps (4.5 syns) and Meringue Nest (usually around 3 syns) with some yogurt & fruit on it. (or I have recently discovered the Muller Light Fruitopolis yogurts... (1/2 a syn) and delicious. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 rrrachy

thanks a million... shopping list sorted...great to get a few ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

Hi,

I'm joining this coming Wednesday, going to sign up for 12 weeks as you get two weeks free and a cookbook that looks pretty good too. I did SW before 2 years ago for a few months and lost 17lbs, just need the discipline of getting back into it again. I'm not terribly overweight, 20-25lbs off would probably be ideal for me, so very do-able really. I still have the books etc so should be able to do it on my own but I know I won't. Going every week and parting with my money and getting on those scales will keep me accountable and ensure my success.

Nice to have this forum for asking questions!

thanks a million... shopping list sorted...great to get a few ideas

Just to add to it of you like! I bought the multipack of cadburys animal biscuits in dealz the other day. I think there are 8 little bags for €1.49. The little fun size bag works out at 5 syns. I think these might be handy for me because I'm such a biccie lover!

Hi,

I'm joining this coming Wednesday, going to sign up for 12 weeks as you get two weeks free and a cookbook that looks pretty good too. I did SW before 2 years ago for a few months and lost 17lbs, just need the discipline of getting back into it again. I'm not terribly overweight, 20-25lbs off would probably be ideal for me, so very do-able really. I still have the books etc so should be able to do it on my own but I know I won't. Going every week and parting with my money and getting on those scales will keep me accountable and ensure my success.

Nice to have this forum for asking questions!

Welcome! You're right, the weekly weigh in is a great motivator :)
    Best of luck with it

Has anyone else had a tasting evening in group this week? Is it strictly free food only tasters? I normally make low syn cakes and desserts when there's a taster on but I don't want to make something and then have it put to waste if it's free food only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

1/2 pound off loosing my first stone in 6 weeks. Thrilled

Has anyone else had a tasting evening in group this week? Is it strictly free food only tasters? I normally make low syn cakes and desserts when there's a taster on but I don't want to make something and then have it put to waste if it's free food only!

Ours was meant to be syn free but there were definitely a few low syn things knocking around, and nothing was said!
    Someone made blancmange using Mullerlights and sugarfree jelly, tried it with fat free Greek yogurt and it's really good, I found it far too sweet and artificial tasting with the Mullerlight.
    Someone else did a breakfast thing with oats and berries and yogurt, it wasn't great (depends on your taste I suppose).
    'Breaded' chicken with oxo cubes and Smash was surprisingly good, must try with less (or maybe no) oxo as it was seriously salty but a lovely idea for a change.
    Lots of couscous and rice salads, delicious. I need to start cooking more grains and lashing on the herbs and seasoning, I usually find them too bland but tasted some great stuff on Wednesday!
    What cakes and desserts do you usually do Wellyd? Think I'm nearly due another baking session ;)

dee_mc wrote: »
    What cakes and desserts do you usually do Wellyd? Think I'm nearly due another baking session ;)

I've made the half syn cake with a variety of different flavourings and the chocolate brownies for home and the people I made them for liked them. But for the last taster I made the chocolate orange squares and the rolo chocolate cupcakes. I'm not a huge chocolate orange fan but people really liked it but the rolo cupcakes are really tasty for 2 syns each! I was thinking of making a cheesecake for tomorrow maybe raspberry or lemon. Or maybe a low syn pavlova. People in my group have a very sweet tooth so I was thinking they might like something sweet!

I've made the half syn cake with a variety of different flavourings and the chocolate brownies for home and the people I made them for liked them. But for the last taster I made the chocolate orange squares and the rolo chocolate cupcakes. I'm not a huge chocolate orange fan but people really liked it but the rolo cupcakes are really tasty for 2 syns each! I was thinking of making a cheesecake for tomorrow maybe raspberry or lemon. Or maybe a low syn pavlova. People in my group have a very sweet tooth so I was thinking they might like something sweet!

I'd say go for it and put a piece of paper beside it saying how many syns per portion, let people avoid if they want!
    Must have a look for those recipes, they sound yummy!

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'd say go for it and put a piece of paper beside it saying how many syns per portion, let people avoid if they want!
    Must have a look for those recipes, they sound yummy!

http://www.slimmingworld.ie/recipes/chocolate-orange-squares.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement