Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

My pan is non-stick too but I find the trick is to spray the pan first, then turn on the heat. If you do it that way, it normally doesn't stick as badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Weigh in today after a short week (got weighed last Wednesday) I'm dreading it! Had my first gain last week and I'm terrified there's going to be another one this week even though I've been good. Trying to be positive is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭lorr27

I bet you'll lose WellyD. You know yourself if you've been good or not. My pots and pans are ruined with the frylite. I only use it on one pot now, trying to keep the others good! I've to leave my sw group tomorrow morning as I'm starting a new job and also doing a course by night so its practically impossible for me to get to group. I was thinking of setting tomorrow's weight as my target and that way I can still be a member and get to use my online account. Does anyone know if this would work? I reckon I might be able to weigh in monthly or every six weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I have a feeling I won't be losing my half pound this week! Was away for the weekend and while I wasn't particularly 'bold' I wasn't fully on plan either, and even skipped lunch yesterday which is never a good thing... Hopefully M&S Count on Us meals aren't tooooo synful... but I'm not gonna check them with the syn calculator just in case... had an Asian chicken and noodle salad yesterday (amazing) and a pasta salad today (yummy but feta and sundried tomatoes are surely a no-no!) oops... Ah well, it was worth it at the time and I walked the legs off myself!
    Good luck to all with the weigh-ins!

Down a pound. Better than nothing! Still 2.5lbs away from the elusive 3 stone award! Back to my regular group after 5 weeks all over the place and have to say I missed the ladies and was nice to see that they'd been missing me too! Back to normal from today though so hopefully my normal routine can help me keep moving in the right direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Down 1lb so 2 more to go for my first 1/2 stone! :) What's the deal with tweaking? Some people say it's ok and others don't. Last night our leader was saying if you were hungry you could make free chips... What's the difference in me taking the same amount of potato and making crisps from it? I get that you could eat more potato in "crisp form" and it won't fill you as much but if it's the same amount of spuds and I'm happy to not be as full and sensible about it is it not the same thing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

tk123 wrote: »
    What's the deal with tweaking? Some people say it's ok and others don't.

It's up to yourself and how comfortable you feel on the plan.

For SW the idea is to eat healthily with a control on the amount of bad food/treats you eat. So if you're finding ways to eat more bad food/treats, then you're really not looking to change how you eat. That's what the leaders will say

However if you're sticking to free food and speed food and losing weight at the pace you want, then it's up to you how you do that. My opinion is that if your crisp treats are made with free food then it's better than going out and buying a tube of pringles.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Dodge wrote: »
    It's up to yourself and how comfortable you feel on the plan.

For SW the idea is to eat healthily with a control on the amount of bad food/treats you eat. So if you're finding ways to eat more bad food/treats, then you're really not looking to change how you eat. That's what the leaders will say

However if you're sticking to free food and speed food and losing weight at the pace you want, then it's up to you how you do that. My opinion is that if your crisp treats are made with free food then it's better than going out and buying a tube of pringles.

Agreed! But there are some tweaks that I personally wouldn't be comfortable with! Like Smash base pizza and cous cous cake- that's definitely an over indulgence of what you're tweaking.

Any more than 2 potatoes for crisps is too much in my opinion, but it all depends! I would make them some nights if I had a carb-free dinner, but it's very rare!

Sure the 1/2 syn cake is now considered a tweak. Having none of it. If anythig, 1/2 syn cake is even compatible on SP :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Are you using it on a ceramic/non stick pan? If so, it will burn on it! If its for taste only, I would spray during cooking, but it's not necessary to coat if it's non stick
    Have you any experience of ceramic pans? I have spent fortunes on non stick, mainly Tefal, sooner or later they start sticking . Is there a good alternative? I have seen ceramic pans priced from under €20, to over 10 times that amount, is there any difference and are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Any cooking oil with 1 calorie or less per spray is free... In Ireland that basically means Frylight or nothing. The calorie count of 100% oils will be much higher, but again you could syn them if you choose to avoid Frylight because of the emulsifiers etc.[/quote]

I find that doesn't compute, here's why:

Fry Light is 519 calories per 100 ml, versus 820 calories per 100ml for sunflower oil, (because Fry Light is only 53% oil) it would seem that if you use about two thirds as much sunflower as you would Fry Light, you will be consuming exactly the same amount of sunflower oil, but no emulsifiers, lecithin, flavorings or gum.

• Advertisement

hbonbr wrote: »
    Have you any experience of ceramic pans? I have spent fortunes on non stick, mainly Tefal, sooner or later they start sticking . Is there a good alternative? I have seen ceramic pans priced from under €20, to over 10 times that amount, is there any difference and are they worth it?

I was all set to get one from homestore (their pans are half price atm) but did some googling and apparently the non-stick wears off after a while so didn't bother because I didn't really need a new pan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My birthday today so hubby and kids brought me out for a meal, had mussels to start with no sauce, chicken fajitas for main course with rice instead of the wrap. My birthday cake was a pink lady apple with a Candle in it!!! Did have a glass of wine thoug, hope weigh in will be ok in the morning. Tried to be good!!

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Agreed! But there are some tweaks that I personally wouldn't be comfortable with! Like Smash base pizza and cous cous cake- that's definitely an over indulgence of what you're tweaking.

Any more than 2 potatoes for crisps is too much in my opinion, but it all depends! I would make them some nights if I had a carb-free dinner, but it's very rare!

Sure the 1/2 syn cake is now considered a tweak. Having none of it. If anythig, 1/2 syn cake is even compatible on SP :pac::pac::pac:

I read on FB that somebody was having loads of cakes to get them through the week though lol!! I wouldn't be mad into crisps anyways but just wanted to see if they did actually taste like crisps...and to test out my new slicer! :p I was going to do a small baked potato with tuna etc for lunch and saved the potato to make crisps. They were lovely so might make them again. How do you syn potatoes thou!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

hbonbr wrote: »

Tefal do wear over time and big tip is not to use metal implements on your non stick pans!

Down a pound today, delighted. Considering I was out twice this week and had a few drinks. That's a total of 2 stone 8 and a half pounds.

3 stone award :)
    Only lost half a pound, just enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just after making low-syn scones after we spent group crying about how much we miss the real thing. Very delicious, even if they are quite small!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I last posted here at the end of Jan. I had gone back to Slimming World a few days before this. I have not always been good but when I fell of the wagon so to speak I got back on track the next day.

I lost 3 Lbs this week and my weight loss is now 1 stone and 1 and half pounds.
    I am starting to notice this is clothes and I find I am feeling better.
    Hope you all have a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I maintained this week but I don't mind aa I had such a big loss last week and had a funny weekend too.

I'm going to just aim for an overall monthly loss really and be happy with that and not get too down if I don't lose every week.

Slow and steady for me will do now even if it's a half a lb or a lb a week ill be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My friend just started Slimming World. I was thinking of getting her a cookbook as a present, my local bookshop sells a few of them but just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for which ones are good?

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    My friend just started Slimming World. I was thinking of getting her a cookbook as a present, my local bookshop sells a few of them but just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for which ones are good?

The Little Book of Light Bites is nice. It has a falafel recipe that I've adapted a bit. I also like the Christmas one (not so much for this time of year though I suppose!) and everyone raves about the Fakeaways book especially the curries. If she likes comfort food (shepherd's pie and stew and stuff like that) there's a new book, Food Glorious Food - it's not really my cup of tea but it's all popular 'pub grub' and traditional dinners and desserts type stuff.
    I bought the desserts book, lots of cheesecake recipes and and ice cream and lemon meringue pie and stuff, haven't tried anything yet but they all look great.

Buying her a cookbook is a lovely idea btw, very thoughtful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

dee_mc wrote: »

Buying her a cookbook is a lovely idea btw, very thoughtful :)

Thanks. Will have a look out in the bookshop for those and see what I can get.
    Wasn't quite sure that buying someone a dieting book as a present would be a good idea but hopefully she'll take it the right way, lol.

dee_mc wrote: »
    3 stone award :)
    Only lost half a pound, just enough.

Ah brilliant dee, delighted for you, well done!!

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thanks. Will have a look out in the bookshop for those and see what I can get.
    Wasn't quite sure that buying someone a dieting book as a present would be a good idea but hopefully she'll take it the right way, lol.

I'd say if she has shared the fact that she joined, she'll welcome the gesture :)

This gave me a giggle - I've lost 42 pounds, so out of interest I had a quick Google to see what weighs about the same amount... an average human leg or a 15 foot canoe :D

http://ilostwhat.com/

This is a great little site for that.

Dodge wrote: »
    http://ilostwhat.com/

This is a great little site for that.

I've lost the same as .... a Chihuahua ... As the owner of 2 Golden Retrievers I'm unimpressed lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive lost the equivalent of a car tyre lol. (20lbs)

Moose antlers here...

• Advertisement

A wheaten terrier! (39.5lbs)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement