Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

katie21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was looking for peoples opinions on people joining SW who only have a small amount of weight to lose.

I would say my target weight would be about 1 stone lighter than I am now.
    Possibly 1.5 stone.

I already eat quite cleanly (5 days per week anyway) and most of my meals are made up of meat and veg with fruit as snacks.

I am thinking of joining SW next week and just want to make sure it is a good decision for someone with not a large amount of weight to lose.

Would love to hear from someone similar who has had success with a small weight loss requirement.

another quesion is do people sometimes save up their syns from during the week to allow a night out or meal out at the weekend as I cant see myself using too many syns during the week with my taste palate (not a sweet eater or in to sauces) I eat very plain food generally.

Hi Katie, welcome to this thread. A guy in his late 40's joined our group 2 weeks before Christmas, he had just 16 lbs to lose. He wanted to get back to his weight as he was at 20. This week he reached his target and went a pound below it. He kept at it, a pound, half a pound each week. It all adds up and is now a target member.

The plan suits all weight targets, if it's a stone or 10 stone we all want the same thing.

Give it a go, stay to class and ask questions, great ideas at class and probably make new friends, along with your cyber friends here ;);)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

katie21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was looking for peoples opinions on people joining SW who only have a small amount of weight to lose.

I would say my target weight would be about 1 stone lighter than I am now.
    Possibly 1.5 stone.

I already eat quite cleanly (5 days per week anyway) and most of my meals are made up of meat and veg with fruit as snacks.

I am thinking of joining SW next week and just want to make sure it is a good decision for someone with not a large amount of weight to lose.

Would love to hear from someone similar who has had success with a small weight loss requirement.

another quesion is do people sometimes save up their syns from during the week to allow a night out or meal out at the weekend as I cant see myself using too many syns during the week with my taste palate (not a sweet eater or in to sauces) I eat very plain food generally.

Hey Katie,

If you are thinking about it, it is a good idea!:)

Slimming World only allow you to join if you have at least 7lb to lose, and/or have a BMI of 23+. There is a minimum weight for your height so it's best to check this when you join! I originally wanted to lose just under 2st (1st11lb) but have recently decided to change my target as I feel I'd be happy with another bit to get me to 2.5st (and a definitive jeans size; I'm in between right now!) Have been with SW 19 weeks and have lost 2st0.5lb.. Same for me with the 'from-scratch' meals too- but my downfall was the snacking on chocolate bars and crisps and full fat coke :eek::eek::eek:

Good luck if you do decide to join ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Hey Katie,

If you are thinking about it, it is a good idea!:)

Slimming World only allow you to join if you have at least 7lb to lose, and/or have a BMI of 23+. There is a minimum weight for your height so it's best to check this when you join! I originally wanted to lose just under 2st (1st11lb) but have recently decided to change my target as I feel I'd be happy with another bit to get me to 2.5st (and a definitive jeans size; I'm in between right now!) Have been with SW 19 weeks and have lost 2st0.5lb.. Same for me with the 'from-scratch' meals too- but my downfall was the snacking on chocolate bars and crisps and full fat coke :eek::eek::eek:

Good luck if you do decide to join ;)

Thanks for that!
    I have a BMI of around 24 so should be ok to do it so!

I've been in touch with my local leader that I got off the SW website and I am going to go to her talk on Tuesday!
    Look forward to it!

I've been following a lot of swimming world followers on Instagram (probably where the inspiration to join has come from) and the meals that people post look amazing!
    I do think I will be increasing the amount of food I eat so I really hope it has the same affect it has had on so many others!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jeff1985

Hi ,
    I write this as a 28 year old male and I am seeking all the advice I can get about what makes Slimming World the success it is today ? I am looking to join my first class and am really apprehensive as I am tipping the scales at 25 st at 5ft 10 and want to get my mind around the task ahead and what it entails. I have been in weight watchers before and went well for about three months losing 3 stone in two months but I fell of the wagon and ended up putting on more weight .
    I was wondering how Slimming World differs from everything else I am desperately seeking a solution to this as I have children and I want to be there to see them growing up.
    All help and advice appreciated,
    Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Jeff1985 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I write this as a 28 year old male and I am seeking all the advice I can get about what makes Slimming World the success it is today ? I am looking to join my first class and am really apprehensive as I am tipping the scales at 25 st at 5ft 10 and want to get my mind around the task ahead and what it entails. I have been in weight watchers before and went well for about three months losing 3 stone in two months but I fell of the wagon and ended up putting on more weight .
    I was wondering how Slimming World differs from everything else I am desperately seeking a solution to this as I have children and I want to be there to see them growing up.
    All help and advice appreciated,
    Jeff

Hi Jeff!
    I have no experience of Weight Watchers so can't really compare and contrast, but I've had good success with Slimming World so far and feel very confident when I say 'it works' :)
    I think the beauty of Slimming World for most people is that you don't have to rely on processed food, and there's minimal weighing and measuring involved - you need to weigh your cereal (if you use it) and you need to weigh your cheese or measure your milk, but other than that you can pretty much eat 'free foods' without worrying about portion size.
    You can eat unlimited amounts of almost all fruit and veg, lean meat and poultry, most fat free dairy, rice and pasta; you must make sure each meal consists of one third 'speed foods', which is the Slimming World way of saying your plate must be 1/3 full of certain fruit and veg, the ones which will really promote your weight loss.
    Each day you should have some foods that aren't 'free', which are referred to as 'syns'. You can use your syns for sweets and chocolate, crisps, mayonnaise, ketchup, sauces, alcohol, nuts, dried fruit, whatever you like - it gives you a bit of freedom and stops you getting bored with the diet. For most people 5-15 syns per day is recommended, but I know some of the men in my group have been advised to have a few more syns.
    As a family man I can see SW working well for you - you can adapt the way you cook your meals and they'll still suit the whole family.
    Some of the tastiest meals I've cooked have been while I've been doing SW and have been totally 'free' :)
    I'd say go for it - worst case scenario is that you don't get on well with the plan, which is unlikely, and it doesn't involve a big financial commitment or anything so it's definitely worth trying!
    The groups tend to be very friendly and welcoming, the leaders know their stuff... it's a really positive way of tackling a weight problem, because of all that support.
    Fair play for taking the first step, do go along to a meeting and see how you go ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Dee ,
    Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I haven't told my partner about how I am going to embrace this new Slimming World lifestyle and how I feel about my current situation . I know that it will be a long road ahead but any help that I can get from you guys on advice and products and what you feel are the best way to start would be appreciated. I have read back on previous posts and the success and support that you all offer to each other has done nothing but inspire me! Fingers crossed it will all go well but this is the first step in the RIGHT direction roll on the Summer !!
    Thanks Jeff

PS I was wondering if there were any men on this board ( not that I dot appreciate all the ladies views but was wondering how a man goes about takeling life in Slimming World)

Hi Dee ,
    Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I haven't told my partner about how I am going to embrace this new Slimming World lifestyle and how I feel about my current situation . I know that it will be a long road ahead but any help that I can get from you guys on advice and products and what you feel are the best way to start would be appreciated. I have read back on previous posts and the success and support that you all offer to each other has done nothing but inspire me! Fingers crossed it will all go well but this is the first step in the RIGHT direction roll on the Summer !!
    Thanks Jeff

PS I was wondering if there were any men on this board ( not that I dot appreciate all the ladies views but was wondering how a man goes about takeling life in Slimming World)

There's at least one man who posts on this thread, I'm sure someone will be along to give you advice!
    Who does the bulk of the cooking in your house? I'd say if your partner usually cooks, you will need her support in terms of cooking the SW way, otherwise you'll be dealing with separate meals etc and life's just too short for that! Maybe she would go along with you to your first session so that she can hear the new members talk and get into the swing of the plan - in my opinion that's the easiest way of ensuring you don't spend all your time cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm a bloke. Lost 3 stone since about October. Can't recommend SW enough

Genuinely I haven't eaten as much food as I currently do. The difference is it's all (nearly) home made. There is no meal that's not allowed and you can have as big a portion as you want. The only 'requirement' is that one third of every meal is speed food (as outlined above)

If you or your wife love cooking it will be extremely easy for you. The syns (and you'll get 25 a day) can be used either for extra stuff at meals (say burger buns, ketchup etc) or treats (crisps, alcohol).

Best of luck. Plenty here to give tips and tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I forgot to do an update after the weigh in on Thursday.

Another somewhat frustrating week, I lost 1 lb, 2nd week in a row when I guess I was expecting a better weigh in. On the upside, I guess it was still a loss. I am heading away for a few days in April so I am desperate to drop into the 11 stone category for this trip. 5 lbs to go and only 3 weigh in's to go so I really need a decent weigh in next week :eek:

I have decided to mix my meals up a bit and working on the water as I have noticed I have got lazy and been eating the same things... so let's see if that helps! :)

Great Dodge thanks a million for your help !! Am thinking that I might focus at an online class and go from there! Managed a 5 km walk this morning no excuses and it was hard but I got there in the end ! Will have a good sit done and chat with my partner as she does all the cooking and would like to be more involved in how my meals are prepared and cooked and start going from there ! thanks again for all the insites will let you know how my first week is going !! Signing up now as we speak ! Here it goes

• Advertisement

Good luck Jeff1985! I find my group good but love being able to come online here and other forums to discuss tips and tricks with everyone, so make sure you use us now you've found us!

Had a bit of a bad weekend myself- burger from Bóbós on Friday (amazing) and carvery on Sunday. Had a dinner party Saturday night and made the Duck pancakes and the Sweet and Sour chicken from last month's mag and it was AMAZING! So proud of my recipe following skills :) Unfortunately washed it down with a nice red- but without the SW dinner it could have been much worse! Starting fresh today and going well so far :) Cauliflower pizza for dinner tonight :P

Hi all! Day 2 nearly over drinking water like its going out of fashion! have had really bad headaches because I have been going without my fizzy drinks have people experienced this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi all! Day 2 nearly over drinking water like its going out of fashion! have had really bad headaches because I have been going without my fizzy drinks have people experienced this before?

Im sure thats quite normal if you are used to having them. What about having diet drinks? Would you try those instead? They are all free so you can have those.

Thanks Andreac I am trying to cut out all things cold turkey maybe I am going about it the wrong way? Are people pro diet drinks or do you feel that they are really bad for you. I am unsure what way to go are you all drinking soft drinks or do you think that they should be excluded. Cheers Jeff

I find that diet drinks are a good way of getting some sugar and 'bold' food without being completely deprived. Obviously they are not good for you whether you're on a diet or not- but I keep buying the slabs and leaving them in the boot so if I really want a can, I have to go out to the car! If I were you I'd have a can when you feel like it, and the longer you're on plan, the more your body will crave healthier food. Then I'd cut them out (working for me anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks Andreac I am trying to cut out all things cold turkey maybe I am going about it the wrong way? Are people pro diet drinks or do you feel that they are really bad for you. I am unsure what way to go are you all drinking soft drinks or do you think that they should be excluded. Cheers Jeff

I dont drink many soft drinks, but i would have the odd one and i would have a diet coke or 7up free etc. Especially if im out for dinner and im not drinking, i would have a diet coke usually.

I think if you cut them completely it might make you crave them more, so maybe just have the odd diet one and see how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

One thing I cannot and probably will not ever give up is fizzy drinks. I now only drink 7up free or fanta zero which are free. I know that they aren't good for me but really I think if I did give them up completely that I'd want sweet things constantly. I don't smoke and I barely ever drink so I'm happy enough to have my few fizzy drinks as my vice!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I gave up diet coke last year and I'd recommend it! No more sweet cravings, fatigue, headaches etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm not doing slimming world, but I do follow this thread and it has really helped me stay on track - I have lost 3 stone since Sept. Re fizzy drinks, I managed to give them up and don't like the after taste of diet drinks but I have recently just started to have the occasional soda water with sugar free Mi-Wadi in it. Gives you the fizziness and sweetness and is probably still better for you than a diet soft drink.

I avoid diet drinks because I don't like sweeteners (they taste horrible to me, I don't know why, although I was a Diet Coke addict til relatively recently). What alot of similarly addicted people doing SW try to do is to limit the amount of diet drinks - for example, 1 or 2 cans a day. Seems to work well for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I would be lost without pepsi max. Drink close to a litre a day most days

I would give up pretty much anything to keep that little bit of fizzy

Just realise I've left the obese category and am now 'just' overweight :D

Down another pound tonight. It's starting to become a slowly slowly job at the moment but at least it's in the right direction. I'm having a few medical problems with my gallbladder and stomach so it's disheartening at the moment as I'm bloating so much that I've stopped wearing my smaller jeans so that I can be comfortable. It's hard putting on the bigger jeans and trying to be good because it seems like I'm going backwards. Hopefully the consultant can help me get it sorted so I can get back to being positive!

Thanks for all you opinions on fizzy drinks. I am going to try and cut the habit and only have the occasional one when I am out! Fizzy water with mi wadi sounds like a great option ! Will defo give that a go. Thanks

You could get one of the Robinson's Squash'd dilutes- I bring one everywhere I go! It's really handy for when you're in a pub and don't want to be so crazy as to ask if they use sugared Mi-Wadi! Syn free and portable :)squashd_packshots_3.png

Amazing mejulie what a clever idea will defo pick these up in the supermarket !

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Hi all,

Been a weird week for me. After the bizarrely massive loss of 8.5 lbs last week, I am up a whopping 6.5 lbs this week thanks to my period and a lack of drinking enough water. I was really good food wise so I was a bit disappointed that it was so much. But my period has always made my weight fluctuate massively.

I am determined to have a good week. I'm sitting here making meal plans and I'm going to do as many free meals as possible.

I have my holiday in 8 weeks and I am focusing on that for now. Small goals.

Dee, I really think you should consider becoming a SW leader when you get your goal. You give wonderful advice and come across so warm and supportive. I'd go to your class any time :)

Cheers for that Pawnee, I'm blushing!
    It's something I'm thinking about for the future, quite expensive to get set up and a bit of a risk but I'd love to give it a go!
    Don't be disheartened by period gain, it's all water - keep drinking and you'll be back on track in no time!
    In other news, I stink of garlic, still can't get the balance right with my hummus!

I'll second that Dee. Even when I've had a crap week I know that if I come on here that you'll have some great words of encouragement! The support on this thread is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

So I went ahead and joined a class tonight! I will definitely be using this thread for advice/support!

I have 1st 4pounds to my target (the weight I think I want) I will re-assess when I reach that and see if I'm happy with it!

I have in my head that I will reach target by my holidays in June but just going to take it week by week and will be happy with a half pound or pound a week.
    I don't expect any massive losses quick!
    Plan to spend a few hours tomorrow reading my book and hopefully pick up a few tips!

My plan is to have 3 SP days a week and the rest extra easy. What do people think of that for a new beginner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement