Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

katie21 wrote: »
    So I went ahead and joined a class tonight! I will definitely be using this thread for advice/support!

I have 1st 4pounds to my target (the weight I think I want) I will re-assess when I reach that and see if I'm happy with it!

I have in my head that I will reach target by my holidays in June but just going to take it week by week and will be happy with a half pound or pound a week.
    I don't expect any massive losses quick!
    Plan to spend a few hours tomorrow reading my book and hopefully pick up a few tips!

My plan is to have 3 SP days a week and the rest extra easy. What do people think of that for a new beginner?

Woohoo, you've taken the first step!
    I haven't tried SP but a few people in my group are doing it like you, a few days a week, and they're losing away :)
    Sounds like a good way to get to know both of the plans too, you'll be an expert in no time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I actually joined tonight myself

My target weight is 2 stone away. I reckon I can hit that with me cutting down the weekend binge drink and keep running my couple of kms a day along eating the slimming world way it will take me 2 months max.

I chose slimming world out of total interest after hearing about the 'unlimited foods'

Will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

Good stuff Ghogie... I'll be very interested to see how you get on considering we started the same day!

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm doing slimming world and honestly physically cannot handle eating the amount of food they recommend you eat. It's got to the stage where I'm so full, even thinking about food makes me feel ill. First week I gained 1.5 lbs - because I think my body went into shock, had a great week plan wise but ate more that week than I usually would in three weeks.
    2nd week I was down 2.5lbs and yesterday I was down 3lbs. A little disappointed as I hear people having major losses early on, but not me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm doing slimming world and honestly physically cannot handle eating the amount of food they recommend you eat. It's got to the stage where I'm so full, even thinking about food makes me feel ill. First week I gained 1.5 lbs - because I think my body went into shock, had a great week plan wise but ate more that week than I usually would in three weeks.
    2nd week I was down 2.5lbs and yesterday I was down 3lbs. A little disappointed as I hear people having major losses early on, but not me

I wouldn't be disappointed with any losses at all. If you're full, don't eat any more. Don't worry about following all the advice exactly. You have to feel comfortable doing it otherwise it feels like a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

just out of interest did you lose weight when you only ate a third of the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

My plan is to have 3 SP days a week and the rest extra easy. What do people think of that for a new beginner?

Hey Katie, congrats on joining the class! How did you find it? I did SP for a week before and was happy enough with the loss, but I don't think my body can take in that much protein (too many eggs:pac:) so I do it periodically now. I actually end up having SP days by accident some days- one of my favourite dinners are cauliflower pizza, and roasted Mediterranean veg with chicken so it can be quite easy if you're having salad for lunch and fruit for brekkie :D Just let yourself fall into place with the plan and you'll develop a natural rhythm with it that works for your body (it's slightly different for everyone!)
    ghogie91 wrote: »
    I actually joined tonight myself

My target weight is 2 stone away. I reckon I can hit that with me cutting down the weekend binge drink and keep running my couple of kms a day along eating the slimming world way it will take me 2 months max.

Good luck ghogie! I found the online account really good for this- if you weigh in every week it tells you your predicted date for reaching club 10 and target, and helps keep you on track! I personally lost 2st in 15 weeks but I'm not as much of a pavement pounder ;)

Hey Lexie- congrats on the losses! They are good losses to me- imagine you continued to lose that each week- you'll fly to your target! Maybe before SW you just weren't eating enough so that might take time to get used to, but talk to your consultant if you need to- that's what she/he is there for! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You don't have to eat loads though, you just eat enough so you are full. There's no need to stuff yourself with food and SW dont recommend that either?
    Just eat enough so you aren't hungry, that's their motto really.

andreac wrote: »
    You don't have to eat loads though, you just eat enough so you are full. There's no need to stuff yourself with food and SW dont recommend that either?
    Just eat enough so you aren't hungry, that's their motto really.

Id be full on some melon strawberry and yogurt for breakfast,
    Chivken fillet cucumber tomato and peppers for lunch
    An apple later on
    Then My dinner, which is usually a syn free recipie. I struggle with the 1/3 speeds here (unless the veg in the dinner counts which wouldnt be 1/3, maybe 1/4)

My consultant is telling me to get my healthy A and B in there (so I'll make a cheese sandwich on be good bread) and I struggle to eat it
    Then telling me to eat a min of 5 syns
    Have a snack between meals.
    I physically couldnt.

@ the poster wondering if I lost weight eating less - no I didn't. Never understood why I had weight on me because honest to God I didnt eat a lot (but would eat bad food)

Id be full on some melon strawberry and yogurt for breakfast,
    Chivken fillet cucumber tomato and peppers for lunch
    An apple later on
    Then My dinner, which is usually a syn free recipie. I struggle with the 1/3 speeds here (unless the veg in the dinner counts which wouldnt be 1/3, maybe 1/4)

My consultant is telling me to get my healthy A and B in there (so I'll make a cheese sandwich on be good bread) and I struggle to eat it
    Then telling me to eat a min of 5 syns
    Have a snack between meals.
    I physically couldnt.

@ the poster wondering if I lost weight eating less - no I didn't. Never understood why I had weight on me because honest to God I didnt eat a lot (but would eat bad food)

You dont have to have a syns if you dont want to though. Do you not have any treats during the day at all, biscuit, chocolate etc?

You have to have your Healthy A & B though as they are your fibre and calcium allowance that you need to be healthy.

Can you not switch things around to try and get your healthy a & b in?

There are lots of options for your A & B, it doesnt have to be cereal or bread, it could be 2 Hifi Bars, or 2 Benefit cereal bars from Aldi, could be nuts either, or other cereals.

You can have fruit as your 1/3 speed too. Im not a great veg eater so i would make up for it with fruit instead but still try and have veg in my dinners where possible, or make veg soup.

The plan is there to fit into your life so dont try and do things and eat things that you dont like or dont suit, but you really should make sure you get your a & b in everyday. Do you not have milk in tea or coffee at all?

• Advertisement

No I can't stand milk it creeps me out, the look of it even. Rarely drink tea or coffee but if I do, it's black. Wouldn't have any treats during the day because I find it hard to stop at 1. If I have a biscuit, or a bar, I'll want another one. If I don't have one at all I don't think about it.

Will try play around with the healthy A and B

No I can't stand milk it creeps me out, the look of it even. Rarely drink tea or coffee but if I do, it's black. Wouldn't have any treats during the day because I find it hard to stop at 1. If I have a biscuit, or a bar, I'll want another one. If I don't have one at all I don't think about it.

Will try play around with the healthy A and B

Ah right ok. Well then have a look at your book, there are loads of options for your Healthy B's anyway, i think the A's are really only Milk or cheese, so if they arent a runner maybe have a chat with your leader and see if there is something else you could try instead.

The good thing about syns though is that it allows you a few treats everyday, so maybe if you do want one or two bars or biscuits, you can do that. Say for instance, a Curly Wurly is 6 syns, so you could actually have 2 of those everyday if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No I can't stand milk it creeps me out

This made me laugh.

I don't usually have my HEA but when I do, it's light cheese singles in a sandwich or burger (homemade). You can have 3 but I usually have one/two max. I'll add parmesan (35g) to a caesar salad or bolognese too but thats it.

My breakfast is usually a muller light/aldi yoghurt, some strawberries or mandarins and 2 alpen light bars. I never used to eat breakfast so even this is a lot for me.

I use syns for sauces and dressings (light mayo, light caesar etc), burger buns (slimsters are 5 syns). If I have something like bolognese for dinner I tend to have a side salad with it for my one third. If not, I'd add a bit of fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Hmm.. my consultant told me I don't need to use my whole healthy extra allowance! Most days I would have a fraction of the milk in tea- I drink a lot of tea, just not a lot of milk! Other days I could make cauliflower pizza, etc, and stick a whole allowance of cheese on it (50g mozzarella!). Easier with the HEB's- but again not the full allowance every day. Burger buns from wholemeal rolls, Aldi benefit bars, toast from Brennans Be Good...

Don't forget- you can get your calcium in places other than dairy (only I probably eat enough Muller lights :pac:), such as Kale, sardines, almonds and oranges!

EDIT: Found this on the website

Do I have to eat all of my Healthy Extras or can I substitute them?

The foods listed in the Healthy Extras section help to ensure that you get everything that you need for a healthy balanced diet by providing a daily intake of foods rich in fibre and calcium, vitamins and minerals.

It won't affect your weight loss if you don't take all your Healthy Extra choices. By substituting a different product or not having all of your Healthy Extras you may reduce the amount of fibre, calcium and other minerals you eat that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Down 2lb last night :) Delighted. I was up 1/2 a pound last week for no reason and I didn't have a perfect week this week, used flexi syns twice so must be my deserved weight loss catching up with me :) 2lb to go to my stone :)

Well done everyone else on your fantastic results :D

Down a pound, chuffed with that as my lunches were a bit crap a few days and I had Ben and Jerry's ice cream without checking syns, appalling behavior!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Our morning weigh ins have now stopped, so only evening weigh ins from now on. Not sure how tonight will go now, been pretty good all week, just very conscious of eating today. Had a big free breakfast, think I will just wait until after 5.30 class to eat again.

Will take a week or two to adjust........

Could someone have a look at My attached screen shot of today's food so far and critique?

Many thanks,
    Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Could someone have a look at My attached screen shot of today's food so far and critique?

Many thanks,
    Gar

I don't think your eating enough. There is so much you can eat on Slimming World. I don't understand why people treat it as a diet. Eat, Eat, Eat!

More veg maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

down 4lbs, i was late to meeting and weighed in after group, would have got sotw if i had been on time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Many thanks,
    Gar
    apart from the rice theres very little filling food seems to be all fruit and veg and alot of water

Many thanks,
    Gar

You didn't have your 1/3 speed with breakfast. It does seem to be a lot of fruit without the filling stuff as someone else said.
    What about more veg or veg soup or more meat or pasta, potatoes etc?
    But it does look very healthy.

What about syns? You having any?

Many thanks,
    Gar

Very hard to critique as what's right for one person would be awful for another.
    You're not using your full A choice and you're not eating green veg (today anyway) so your diet is very likely lacking calcium.
    I'd be aiming for more veg instead of some of the fruit (sugar balance, minerals, more filling etc) but that's a personal preference thing.
    Are you using syns? Fitting some calorific stuff into the diet genuinely works - some people have greater losses when they use more syns.
    I know if that was my diet I'd be hungry, tired, bored and feel deprived. But if you're happy with it, that's all that matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Woohoo! 3lbs down last night and got my 1 stone and a half reward! :)

Thanks for the reply all.

I do agree I need more veg, but thats another battle as I have yet to grab a liking for basically any vegetable.

I ended up using 2 syns last night with the Cherry Vanilla Muller lite, I was actually aiming for no syns whatsoever.

Dee you have it right, I was very tired last night so went to bed really early and struggled to get up this morning after 9 or 10 hours in bed.

I had a 10k planned for tonight, I would normally complete in 50 mins, after an hour of astro last night after yesterdays eating, I know if I eat today like I did yesterday (I have alot more pasta included today) I wont even get through 5k as I might aswell not showed up to football last night I was so lethargic. Pulling and plugging to get things right still obviously, will get the eating in check the more I gain knowledge about it.

Thanks for the reply all.

I do agree I need more veg, but thats another battle as I have yet to grab a liking for basically any vegetable.

I ended up using 2 syns last night with the Cherry Vanilla Muller lite, I was actually aiming for no syns whatsoever.

Dee you have it right, I was very tired last night so went to bed really early and struggled to get up this morning after 9 or 10 hours in bed.

I had a 10k planned for tonight, I would normally complete in 50 mins, after an hour of astro last night after yesterdays eating, I know if I eat today like I did yesterday (I have alot more pasta included today) I wont even get through 5k as I might aswell not showed up to football last night I was so lethargic. Pulling and plugging to get things right still obviously, will get the eating in check the more I gain knowledge about it.

You should really try and have some syns everyday so you feel you are not depriving yourself. They do recommend to have between 5-15, maybe more for a man i think?

I couldnt imagine going without any syns everyday as i like my biccies with my cuppa etc.

Im like you, not great with my veg so try to make up for it with my speed fruits. What about stir frys, or veg soup? A good way to get veg in without actually eat a whole load of veg on your plate. You can use your veg soup as your 1/3 speed so thats another option.

Also, give yourself time to get your head around the plan. It can take a few weeks to fully understand it and eat things that you like and that work for you. Its all about balance and enjoying what you are eating and that its enjoyable and not a chore for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

dee_mc wrote: »
    Just realise I've left the obese category and am now 'just' overweight :D

That's absolutely great! Congratulations, you should be so proud of yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

Just seen on Instagram that this whole jar of organic ketchup from Lidl is only 10 Syns.
    Can anyone confirm this or know where I would find out?

I don't know if it's just me but I haven't been finding the syn calculator too good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Just seen on Instagram that this whole jar of organic ketchup from Lidl is only 10 Syns.
    Can anyone confirm this or know where I would find out?

I don't know if it's just me but I haven't been finding the syn calculator too good!

Having previously used it, don't. It is the ketchup what mcdonalds is to fine dining:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement