Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

What fruit does everyone usually eat?

I usually eat Melon, Apples & Clementines from Lidl and I used to buy strawberries but way too expensive here so usually buy some frozen fruit from Tesco to have with my slice of melon in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Melon/orange/grapes/fresh pineapple/apples usually. Grapes and pineapple aren't super free though . Strawberries when I see a good special. I'm not mad about the texture of frozen fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Chilli/Salted chicken - spice bag recipe

Ingredients:
    1) SW chips

2) Crispy chicken:
    2 chicken breasts
    2 eggs beaten
    Smash
    1 chicken oxo
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp garlic powder

3) Veg:
    1/2 lrg red pepper
    1/2 lrg yellow pepper
    1 lrg onion
    1 red chilli
    1 scallion

4) Dry mix:
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp chilli flakes

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven

2. Slimming world chips: par boil spuds till you can put a knife in easily without it falling apart, drain, then pop back on the heat to dry out a lil shake them up to rough up the edges then add to a baking tray spaying with frylight and add cracked black pepper and salt, bake for 30-35 mins at the highest temp of oven, after 20 mins take the chips out, turn with a fish slice and spray again with frylight and put back in the oven to crisp up

3. While the chips are in get the chicken ready

4. Crispy chicken: In 1 dish whisk the eggs and the other mix up enough smash to coat 2 chicken breasts (smash, salt, chicken oxo, garlic powder) double coat the chicken so it's egg, smash, egg and smash then onto a wire tray spray with frylight and pop into the oven with the chips they need 25 mins to become golden brown

5. Veg: While they are in the oven prepare veg slice the peppers into strips and onions into half moons, slice the chilli and scallion at an angle.

6. When everything in the oven is about 5 mins from being ready in a large saucepan or wok (I found a wok best coz you can flip everything around easier in it) spray with frylight and begin to soften the onions, peppers and chilli.

7. When the chicken and chips are ready take out the chicken first and cut into long strips and pop into the pan with the onions, pepper & chillies shake it about to mix them all together then take out your chips and throw all of them into the pan now its time for the dry mix. Shake half the mix over the pan then give a good shake to move the spices around (CAREFUL THE CAYENNE IS PUNGENT AT THIS STAGE & WILL TAKE YOU BREATH AWAY) once you’ve given it one shake add the rest of the dry minx in and shake again make sure everything has a coating of the spice dry mix. Now add the chopped scallions and serve straight away.

Syn free curry
    1 tin of mushy peas
    1 tin of baked beans blitzed
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    6 tablespoons of passata
    Splash of Worchester sauce
    Pinch of Chinese five spice
    Put all ingredients into a pot and cook for 20 minutes
    Blitz until smooth

I'm not mad about the curry sauce on it's own but it works OK with the rest of the meal.

This is different but based on the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Thanks so much, that will save me a few syns ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Vahevala wrote: »
    What fruit does everyone usually eat?

I usually eat Melon, Apples & Clementines from Lidl and I used to buy strawberries but way too expensive here so usually buy some frozen fruit from Tesco to have with my slice of melon in the morning.

My regulars are
    Bananas and blueberries (free)
    Strawberries, raspberries, passion fruit (speed)
    Lemon and lime juice (speed) on fish and instead of dressing on salads
    And this week, apricots (speed).
    Occasional mango (free), melon (speed), mandarins/satsumas (speed), apples (speed).

I buy my raspberries and blueberries in Tesco for €1.79 a pack - expensive, but not compared to Keelings! Like others have said, strawberries are only an occasional treat this time of year - looking forward to them being in season soon, they will be much cheaper and tastier.
    Would love to use frozen fruit but my freezer is always packed with fish and homemade pasta sauce!

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    My regulars are
    Occasional mango (free), melon (speed), mandarins/satsumas (speed), apples (speed).

I buy my raspberries and blueberries in Tesco for €1.79 a pack - expensive, but not compared to Keelings! Like others have said, strawberries are only an occasional treat this time of year - looking forward to them being in season soon, they will be much cheaper and tastier.
    Would love to use frozen fruit but my freezer is always packed with fish and homemade pasta sauce!

Strawberries always seem to be set at a price of 2 for 5 Euro all year around so I stay away!! lol

So I spent an hour last night clearing out my wardrobe... 6 big shopping bags of clothes for the charity shop, one big bag of bras, underwear and camis for the clothing bin, and 2 occasion dresses for sale on Adverts.ie... wardrobe's looking veeeery empty now, but at least now I can see what I need...
    I've held on to one top that I love and I'm planning to make it into a cushion cover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

So have my next weigh in tonight, been in it 4 weeks and down over a stone.

now i ma heading to portugal next week and going to go in the speed plan for next week, so i wont go off track, does anyone know how this work?

also in terms of flexi syns, could i use these in portugal and how does it work?

mrmorgan wrote: »
    So have my next weigh in tonight, been in it 4 weeks and down over a stone.

now i ma heading to portugal next week and going to go in the speed plan for next week, so i wont go off track, does anyone know how this work?

also in terms of flexi syns, could i use these in portugal and how does it work?

I haven't done the speed plan so can't advise there.
    I've never heard of anyone doing flexisyns for more than a day or two but I don't see why it wouldn't work for a week's holiday, just to keep things under control -maybe figure out your priorities, how many syns approx you'd need to allocate for a few drinks or a decadent dessert or some other treat each day etc, and try to follow the principles of SW the rest of the time?
    Main point of flexisyns is that you pick a limit and stick to it, be it 20 syns or 70, and don't compensate any other day by restricting syns. You might still have a gain but the idea is that it would be a planned and controlled gain!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I did SP for 4 days last week and to be honest i didnt find it made any difference. You could try it if you like and see how you get on.

Basically it takes a lot more planning as you cant have any free foods, like your pasta, rice, pineapple etc. Your meals are made up of 50/50 of P & S foods. You cant have syn free foods like muller lights either.

I personally didnt find it any benefit and i think if you did the normal extra easy plan and stuck to it rigidly and counted syns properly and measured everything right you will prob have a better week than doing SP, but by all means try it and see how you get on. It just wasnt for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Up a pound this week. Sickened. But I had a feeling I was. Away all weekend visiting relatives so I never got to stick to plan much. Back on the straight and narrow this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

My regulars are

I find Tesco own brand berries a bit bland and not as nice as Keelings :( So I fork out the €5.50 for 2 punnets (1 of each).

Monife wrote: »
    I find Tesco own brand berries a bit bland and not as nice as Keelings :( So I fork out the €5.50 for 2 punnets (1 of each).

The keelings ones are nicer for sure, but I just can't justify the price! I look out for them in the 'nearly out of date' section of the supermarket though :)

I did SP once before and hated it at the time and lost 1.5 lbs so decided not to do it again. Too restrictive for my liking but my consultant keeps bleating on about it which irritates me.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Vahevala wrote: »
    I did SP once before and hated it at the time and lost 1.5 lbs so decided not to do it again. Too restrictive for my liking but my consultant keeps bleating on about it which irritates me.:mad:

I'm the same- I think it's too much protein unless you're working out a lot.. Dreading tonight Val but haven't really been exercising I have something on every evening I don't know when I would exercise!

mejulie805 wrote: »
    I'm the same- I think it's too much protein unless you're working out a lot.. Dreading tonight Val but haven't really been exercising I have something on every evening I don't know when I would exercise!

Beats make me bloat so I have cut them out, I think I needed to be drinking more water than I was when I did SP but I don't want to do that again.

I have been doing the couch to 5K, finishing week 3 tomorrow and going to start week 4 on Sunday. I am enjoying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Down a pound this week. I'm happy with that as I'd say I was only 70% on track due to a few things that cropped up. I have 2.5lb to get my first stone so I'm aiming high for next week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

The keelings ones are nicer for sure, but I just can't justify the price! I look out for them in the 'nearly out of date' section of the supermarket though :)

go to the keelings shop at back of the airport

huge punnets that stay fresh for a week , unlike tescos dying after 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is the shop any cheaper? I've noticed the keeling stuff is say 2 for €5 in Dunnes yet 2 for €5.50 in Tesco!! :mad:

I lost 1lb tonight, was hoping for 1.5lb to get my award, alas not to be...hopefully next week. I will keep going with the couch to 5k (next one tomorrow morning to finish week 3) and thinking back, I think my meals have gone too small & I don't think I am eating or drinking enough, so going to mix things up & try again!

• Advertisement

I already go to the Nespresso shop every time I'm in Dublin, so why not add on a berry stop! Cheers for the tip!

tk123 wrote: »
    Is the shop any cheaper? I've noticed the keeling stuff is say 2 for €5 in Dunnes yet 2 for €5.50 in Tesco!! :mad:

€6 for a punnet of odd shaped strawberries or €8 for perfect ones

punnet is huge

1kg of strawberries for €8 :) I didn't see the €6 ones. I prefer raspberries and blueberries though but didn't see them there, only strawberries :( Not actually a massive fan of strawberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

2lb down last night- worrying for nothing! That was the loss I should have seen last week but was really sick. Hoping for 1.5lb next week to break the next stone barrier :pac:

1kg of strawberries for €8 :) I didn't see the €6 ones. I prefer raspberries and blueberries though but didn't see them there, only strawberries :( Not actually a massive fan of strawberries.

they're rasberries will be ready in a week or too , then huge punnets of them

the strawberry punnet is big tho

they're rasberries will be ready in a week or too , then huge punnets of them

the strawberry punnet is big tho

In a week or so the portacabin outside Keelings will have raspberries?

Yay :)

Yeah I ended up freezing half the punnet of strawberries, loads in it!

Where exactly is this place located near the airport? Which road do you take? Thanks

andreac wrote: »
    Where exactly is this place located near the airport? Which road do you take? Thanks

Depends where you're coming from. If you're coming from the M50, you could take this route - https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3982181,-6.3277875/Keelings+Fruits,+St.+Margarets,+Swords,+Co.+Dublin,+Dublin,+Ireland/@53.3994857,-6.3196793,13z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867122fe9f82685:0x769dac8a3c4877dd!2m2!1d-6.284561!2d53.439495!3e0

Great thanks. I have a fair idea now. Im out at Cloghran quite a bit so i can cut across that road back on to the M50 from there to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

andreac wrote: »
    I did SP for 4 days last week and to be honest i didnt find it made any difference. You could try it if you like and see how you get on.

Basically it takes a lot more planning as you cant have any free foods, like your pasta, rice, pineapple etc. Your meals are made up of 50/50 of P & S foods. You cant have syn free foods like muller lights either.

I personally didnt find it any benefit and i think if you did the normal extra easy plan and stuck to it rigidly and counted syns properly and measured everything right you will prob have a better week than doing SP, but by all means try it and see how you get on. It just wasnt for me.

I found SP great. On extra Easy I was only loosing around 1lb per week but I did 2 weeks on SP and lost 4lb both weeks. I like that you can still have 2 portions of carbs every day ie rice or pasta etc and the list of fruit and veg you can eat is huge. You also get your 15 syns so you can have a glass of wine if you want in the evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement