Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh Dolbert that's brilliant! ! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

what do people use for motivation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re motivation, looking back at old photos and Ice Bucket Challenge does it for me, I'm not going back to that.
    I like updating and checking on my graph on the SW website too.
    Haven't done it in a while but measuring myself every few weeks and adding up the total loss is a great motivational boost, especially in weeks when I feel my weight loss was lower than it could or should have been.
    Looking nice in clothes and not getting diabetes would be up there as motivators for me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

what do people use for motivation ?

I set mini targets. Nothing too specific but I'm going on a stags in 2 weeks and I wanted to be in a new stone bracket by then. Didn't look likely for a while but 6 off in the last 2 weeks leaves me needing 3.5 to make it.

Then I'll pick another event coming up and make another Mini target. I've bought some clothes that I knew were too small too and I can't wait to get into them. Again nothing major but just little things to keep me going

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Down half a pound last night. I'm kind of happy about that. I've been feeling kind of meh lately so any loss is a bonus. I think I might not be eating enough speed food. I think I might try SP for a few weeks to see if it ups my losses.

+1 for the mini targets. I find this really works. I give myself little rewards (not all food related) when I lose another half stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Was down half a pound last night. Very happy with that, had a very busy weekend, 2 holy communions, a 50th and a dinner party, it's also star week so delighted.

Even though I'm only losing a pound or half a pound each week it's all adding up, 4 and a half pounds in 4 weeks!!!

Total weight loss now with SW is 3 stone 1.5lbs :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cookie2015

i didn't really have time last night to read the books properly will do it tonight.
    For today I had porridge with semi skimmed milk for breakfast, Having wholegrain pasta, chicken, mushrooms, onion, tin of tomatoes & cajun spice for lunch.
    And probably an ham omelette for dinner tonight.
    Hope that's ok and falls into the right categories. If that looks wrong to anyone please tell me. Will be more organised with fruit and veg for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

cookie2015 wrote: »
    i didn't really have time last night to read the books properly will do it tonight.
    For today I had porridge with semi skimmed milk for breakfast, Having wholegrain pasta, chicken, mushrooms, onion, tin of tomatoes & cajun spice for lunch.
    Hope that's ok and falls into the right categories. If that looks wrong to anyone please tell me. Will be more organised with fruit and veg for the rest of the week.

Just try and have some speed with your porridge and also your omelette,you've plenty of speed in your lunch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The key to it is to have 1/3 of your 3 main meals being "speed" foods (ie veg and most fruits).

Porridge is limited to 35g a day and that's your "healthy extra B". Semi skimmed milk is limited too and that's your "healthy extra A".

It's easy enough once you get your head around it. Best of luck

Yeah as Dodge says, you have to make sure you have your 1/3 speed with every meal and make sure you measure your healthy extras too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 .silhouette.

Hey everyone,

So I joined SW online last week. First weight in yesterday and I was down 6lbs! Delighted! I have a long way to go to where I want to be put I am feeling positive that this time I'm going to succeed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Ye should be careful with the SP days, I did 4 days last week and ended up being +1lb. My consultant reckoned I was eating more speed than protein, e.g if having a steak and side salad for dinner, it should be like 2 steaks and side salad. That what she says anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cookie2015

If you have a tin of pears or peaches and drain the syrup do you still have to syn anything? if so how many syns per tin without drinking the syrup, although the fruit has no doubtely soaked some in. Thanks!

If you have a tin of pears or peaches and drain the syrup do you still have to syn anything? if so how many syns per tin without drinking the syrup, although the fruit has no doubtely soaked some in. Thanks!

You always have to syn cooked fruit - 100g cooked peaches is 1.5 syns, 100g cooked pears is 2 syns.
    100g peaches in syrup 3.5, 100g pears in syrup 3.
    So even if you're draining as much of the syrup as possible, you'd still be looking at at least 2.5 syns for 100g peaches and the same for the pears.
    I don't know how much a can of fruit weighs and how much of it is fruit and how much is syrup, you'd have to weigh as you go I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I lost 3 lbs this week and got my 4 & 1/2 stone award!!

I have now lost with SW 4 st 9 ½ lbs and 6 & 1/2 stone in total.. I am literally over the moon. Can't believe I am now 17 lbs away from target and 4 lbs away from being in the 10 stone something category. It has hit me that I am so close to doing this! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I got my 2 and half stone award. I am beginning to see the difference now in my weight loss. I have more weight to lose. I plan to set myself small intern targets and once I get there decided on what my next goal will be rather than saying I have x amount of weight to lose.

Like another poster here I found an old photo of me and I have decided I am not ever going back to looking like that. I am going to give some of my old clothes away as they are still good but there to big for me.
    I joined a gym in mid April and I have lost apox 10 inches so far along with the weight. It is mainly coming off my hips but that is where I am carrying a lot of weight.

I am feeling so much better due to eating better and losing the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I have to say to Vahevala that your an inspiration to us all here. Can you put up a before and after picture so we can get a idea of what your weight loss looks like.
    I am sure that any one who has not met you in 6 to 12 months gets a shock when they see you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

okiss wrote: »
    I have to say to Vahevala that your an inspiration to us all here. Can you put up a before and after picture so we can get a idea of what your weight loss looks like.
    I am sure that any one who has not met you in 6 to 12 months gets a shock when they see you now.

Thank you so much, so kind of you :) Yes people are shocked now! There is no going back for me. I love the SW plan and would happily live on it forever too. The second pic in August 2014 was a month before I joined SW.

2wci1sg.jpg

291l5hw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Wow Vahevala, that's some transformation! Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

Well done Vahavela. You are fantastic. The weight loss has also taken years off you. You look fabulous. What an inspiration you are to everyone trying to lose weight. Continued good luck on the rest of your weight loss journey.

• Advertisement

Wow that's amazing. You are a diff woman. You look so much younger now. Fantastic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

That is amazing Vahevala! You are an inspiration to us all, well done! You look years younger too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Was up half a lb this week, but i dont mind as i was away on holidays last week. Been super good this week, and have mini marathon on Monday so hopefully it will all help for a nice loss next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Well done Vahevla. The difference is massive. The health benefits alone must be great. It's hard work. Keep it up and congratulations.
    Does anyone eat crackers? I don't like cream crackers or ryvita. Does anyone eat any others that are low in syns?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Got a surprise when I weighed in yesterday and was down 2lb!!! Broke a stone barrier and now only 1.5lb from my revised target which was 10.5lb from my original target!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Home from my holiday and weighed myself yesterday. A gain of 0.4kg which is just under a pound. I'm delighted! We had a brilliant time and I ate so many delicious meals, mostly fish (when in Portugal...) so I'm really thrilled with being up so little.

Vahevala, you are an inspiration. You look incredible and so much younger.

Back on track this week. Have a reunion of sorts with some folk from my old job in September so that's my mini goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

i just found out a lot of the muller light yogurts are free (sounds stupis i know) im here eating the vanilla one with dark chocolate, it's delicious and absolutely free.

i will be buying these in future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hi everyone, I'm new to Slimming World, joined 2 weeks ago so still getting my head round the plan as it's different to plans I've tried in the past. I'm very happy with the results so far, I was down 7.5lbs the first week and got my star and half stone certificate, I was down 3lbs this week. I'll be switching to a nearer class this week so it's only a 5 day week for me so hope to see a good result anyway.

I've got a lot of weight to lose so it's going to take time but I'm happy so far. I've got some health issues mostly due to excess weight and age and hopefully a significant weight loss will counteract some of that and hopefully wean me off medication. This time I feel a lot more positive to sticking with a diet because earlier this year I had tests that found the root cause of my chronic sinusitis, post nasal drip and continuous cough that I had for over a decade was down to certain food intolerances and since I cut them out no more sinus related problems.

Vahevala, wow, that's some weight loss, you also look so much younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Hi all,

I am interested in joining slimming world. I have never been to any dieting classes or anything like that so I have no idea of how any of this works. Do I just show up or should I contact the leader first to let them know that I am coming?

• Advertisement

dcfc91 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am interested in joining slimming world. I have never been to any dieting classes or anything like that so I have no idea of how any of this works. Do I just show up or should I contact the leader first to let them know that I am coming?

Just turn up a couple of minutes before the scheduled start time; if there's a queue, you should skip it because there's a new members talk for the first 30-40 minutes and you don't want to miss that! There will probably be signs saying 'new members skip the queue'.
    The new members talk is great, it's a general outline of the plan and how it works. Lots of people find it helpful to sit in on this talk more than once to really get to grips with the plan.
    After the new members talk, you'll sit in on the 'image therapy' session, in which the consultant talks to existing members - congrats, you've lost 2 pounds this week, how do you feel about that? did you cook anything nice this week? how did you make that? anything you want to talk about? etc etc and gives out awards for having lost 1/2 stone/ a stone/ a stone and a half etc etc, losing 1/10th of body weight (Club 10 award), body magic awards (awards for completing exercise challenges - this is optional) etc.
    After the image therapy bit, you will be given your Slimming World card and you'll weigh in for the first time. You'll also be asked to set a target - you can set it for the weight you ultimately want to be, or you can set a target somewhere in between where you are now and where you want to be in terms of weight - targets can be changed. Your consultant will advise.
    Good luck with it and if you've any questions, shout!

Edit: forgot to mention, there's also a raffle and another award for 'slimmer of the week'!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement