Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

Hi all, just joined slimming world online, paid for three months so gotta stick with it eek! Hoping I'll be able to stick with it, just wondering what most of you do with syns e.g. do you eat up to the fifteen per day? and I see that I have to use the A option for my milk, does that mean any other dairy must be syned?any tips for newbies would be great, I wanna lose one stone in the three months, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Welcome BadMoonRising.
    Have a look at the website for full list of healthy a and b choices - as you say, anything outside of that will need to be synned, with a few exceptions: fat free, unflavoured natural yogurt is free, as is fat free, unflavoured Greek yogurt, fat free quark... I'm sure there are others, maybe fromage frais also, I've just mentioned the ones I use. Lightest philadelphia is quite good 'value' synswise too.
    I use 12 to 15 syns every day - I used less in the beginning, have just got into the habit of using more lately! I make all my meals syn free - the very odd time I might have a spoonful of chilli jam with dinner, but otherwise all my syns go on chocolate or hifi bars.

Thanks Dee, your loss is so inspirational, hope I can follow in your footsteps!

Thanks Dee, your loss is so inspirational, hope I can follow in your footsteps!

Aw thanks, that's nice to hear! If I can do it anyone can - I'm still a bit of an emotional eater at times but SW has taken me a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Hi all, just joined slimming world online, paid for three months so gotta stick with it eek! Hoping I'll be able to stick with it, just wondering what most of you do with syns e.g. do you eat up to the fifteen per day? and I see that I have to use the A option for my milk, does that mean any other dairy must be syned?any tips for newbies would be great, I wanna lose one stone in the three months, wish me luck!

My biggest tip is don't be afraid to use your syns! In the last month or so I've become a chocaholic! But I still manage to get some in with my syns! Normally a freddo or the small kids size dairy milks or a frozen curly wurly! Also keep your chocolate cold! It takes longer to eat that way! And most importantly if you've a bad day just draw a line under it and start the next day well. No amount of guilt tripping will undo it so just forget about it and move on. We're only human so bad days will happen! Just don't let the rest of the week be a disaster! And always always always come on here for support! We're a nice lot!

• Advertisement

thanks so much everyone! I picked a bad time to start as I havnt gotten many sw friendly foods in the house. I had a slice of toasted brennanns wholegrain with my breakfast this morning, could I count this as my healthy B? I know its supposed to be wholemeal but how strict are ye on things like that?

thanks so much everyone! I picked a bad time to start as I havnt gotten many sw friendly foods in the house. I had a slice of toasted brennanns wholegrain with my breakfast this morning, could I count this as my healthy B? I know its supposed to be wholemeal but how strict are ye on things like that?

The Brennan's wholegrain is lower in fibre than the ones recommended for Healthy B, so it shouldn't technically be used.
    I'd only use healthy A and B options that are on the list on the website.
    Having said that, the difference isn't huge - from memory, I think it's a difference of 1.5g fibre per 100g - you could just mark it in your food diary so your consultant knows you know the difference, and in future buy the recommended one.

Also, the place I work serves veg soup which consists of carrots, leeks, potatoes and is fried in oil. It makes a huge pot with multiple servings, so how would i go about counting the oil?Id say theres around 2 tablespoons of oil but it makes around 3 litres of soup, would 200ml be free?thanks

Also, the place I work serves veg soup which consists of carrots, leeks, potatoes and is fried in oil. It makes a huge pot with multiple servings, so how would i go about counting the oil?Id say theres around 2 tablespoons of oil but it makes around 3 litres of soup, would 200ml be free?thanks

2 tablespoons oil would be 12 syns, so a 200ml serving from a 3 litre batch (i.e. 1 15th of the batch) would be just less than 1 syn (counted as 1 syn). Watch out for added milk, cream etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

So had a very bad day yesterday. Eddie rockets and sweets in the cinema
    Followed the plan every other day this week and will today and tomo before my weight in. Hoping it won't make a huge impact on my weight in. Hard to follow it all the time and after two full weeks of it and being out off for the day makes it hard to stay away from all the temptations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's my wedding anniversary today so I made 'barbecue' (grill really!) and we're getting a posh Thai meal later :) I'm impressed at how easily this all fits into real life!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Down another 2 this week. Very happy as I had a few pints on Friday and a meal out yesterday.

That's my 4 stone award too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How does everyone syn coffee!? Normally I get a light frappe in Starbucks and know the syns (7 and worth it lol) but yesterday and today we were out with the dogs and stopped at the tea rooms (you can clip the dogs to the wall and sit out :) ) and had a skinny mocha - I know I can have the milk as my hex A but what about the choc part of the mocha!? It's more coffee than chocolate if that makes sense so not sickly sweet like some you'd get so I know not loaded with hot choc but not sure what I should guesstimate!? The syns calculator takes the milk into account so not much use to me - should I maybe use dried mocha sachets as a guide!? :confused: My friend goes in for them so I haven't seen it made to suss out what the choc is and how much the put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I was feeling a bit low last night, I was thinking I am 17 lbs from target but I am still stuck in size 16 jeans. To be honest, I think I will be revising the target weight but then I thought I have come from a size 26 to 16 so that is a huge jump and I need to be patient.

I will keep going, regardless how long it takes me. I have a friend coming over from next Mon- Thurs so probably a lot of eating out... so I will expect a gain during this period! I won't let it get me down, I will just work harder the following week to get rid of it! :)

tk123 wrote: »
    How does everyone syn coffee!? Normally I get a light frappe in Starbucks and know the syns (7 and worth it lol) but yesterday and today we were out with the dogs and stopped at the tea rooms (you can clip the dogs to the wall and sit out :) ) and had a skinny mocha - I know I can have the milk as my hex A but what about the choc part of the mocha!? It's more coffee than chocolate if that makes sense so not sickly sweet like some you'd get so I know not loaded with hot choc but not sure what I should guesstimate!? The syns calculator takes the milk into account so not much use to me - should I maybe use dried mocha sachets as a guide!? :confused: My friend goes in for them so I haven't seen it made to suss out what the choc is and how much the put in.

I worked in a coffee shop years ago and we made mochas with 1 heaped tablespoon of choc powder, which added up to 60 calories. Going by the '20 calories is 1 syn' guideline, that'd be 3 syns for a quite chocolatey mocha, so probably 2 syns for yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

dee_mc wrote: »
    I worked in a coffee shop years ago and we made mochas with 1 heaped tablespoon of choc powder, which added up to 60 calories. Going by the '20 calories is 1 syn' guideline, that'd be 3 syns for a quite chocolatey mocha, so probably 2 syns for yours?

Thanks!! I was thinking 2 or 3 so not bad for a treat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

hey,

does anyone know how sushi works in terms of syns, what is the best etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

restarted today , fresh month , fresh outlook

Anyone else find finding syn values tough?had an alpen light bar because I saw somewhere that it was 3 syns, now I found out its 4.5, which put me over! I keep seeing different syn values for different plans, is sw only doing the easy one now?

Anyone else find finding syn values tough?had an alpen light bar because I saw somewhere that it was 3 syns, now I found out its 4.5, which put me over! I keep seeing different syn values for different plans, is sw only doing the easy one now?

Haven't tried them but Aldi Benefit bars are only 2.5 syns and count as half a Healthy B choice :)
    I have a number of different cereal bars on the go, so to avoid confusion I write the syn value on each one with a Sharpie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The slimming world app will give you the right syn values or the website.
    Yes they only do the extra easy plan now. Where were you sourcing your syn values from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just checked the app. Most of the alpen bars are only 3 or 2.5 . Which flavour was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

mrmorgan wrote: »
    hey,

does anyone know how sushi works in terms of syns, what is the best etc?

Sushi is very low on syns, a 100g of sushi works out at 2-4 syns. On the SW page they have all the syns for it. Have a craving now for some with loads of ginger, wasabi and soy, yummy ;)

Alpen lights are definitely only 3. (2 of them can be used for hexB). make sure it's Alpen LIGHT though as not all Alpen bars are LIGHT

Download the app and it's excellent for looking up syns now. Website will have it too.

SW are phasing out their differing plans but extra easy is the one the vast majority are using

dee_mc wrote: »
    Haven't tried them but Aldi Benefit bars are only 2.5 syns and count as half a Healthy B choice :)
    I have a number of different cereal bars on the go, so to avoid confusion I write the syn value on each one with a Sharpie :)

The Aldi bars are 2 for a healthy B, where did you get the information about being half a healthy B?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The trick is to opt for a syn free snack as often as possible. If you make your meals syn free and have plenty of lean cooked meat, fat free yoghurt and fruit to hand you won't go hungry and should have plenty left over for a treat in the evening :)

Vahevala wrote: »
    The Aldi bars are 2 for a healthy B, where did you get the information about being half a healthy B?

Maths. if 2 bars = 1 healthy B, then 1 bar = 0.5 of a healthy B

Plenty in my group mix and match their healthy B. (maybe 1 alpen light and 1 slice of Be Good Wholemeal) etc.

On snacks, I tend to try and avoid them until the evening time. I'm OK in work with breakfast and lunch. Sometimes between lunch and dinner I'll have a yoghurt or slices of cooked deli beef/ham/turkey. I find the beef most filling. An apple/banana can do a job too.

I mostly use syns for dinner (sauces, buns, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you have a snack are you supposed to have some fruit or veg with it?

Dodge wrote: »
    Maths. if 2 bars = 1 healthy B, then 1 bar = 0.5 of a healthy B

Plenty in my group mix and match their healthy B. (maybe 1 alpen light and 1 slice of Be Good Wholemeal) etc.

On snacks, I tend to try and avoid them until the evening time. I'm OK in work with breakfast and lunch. Sometimes between lunch and dinner I'll have a yoghurt or slices of cooked deli beef/ham/turkey. I find the beef most filling. An apple/banana can do a job too.

I mostly use syns for dinner (sauces, buns, etc)

Sorry I must have read that wrong, I thought the conversation was 2 bars was half :o

I don't have syns during the day, if I am hungry, I will have a piece of fruit to tide me over.

I do tend to use my syns on a meringue nest or on jacobs pink wafers (2 syns each) and a packet of velvet crunch (4.5 syns) I also use it on ketchup or mayo as I tend to cook very simple meals so I like a bit of sauce with the meat :)

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    If you have a snack are you supposed to have some fruit or veg with it?

No you don't need to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement