Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

whelan2 wrote: »
    down 3.5lbs in my first week back, thought it would be more

3.6 lbs is brilliant! I lost 1lb on my first and second week and then lost 4lbs on my third. Slimming world is a life style change and you generally lost between 1-3 lbs a week which is a recommended amount.. I wouldn't be thinking you will lose much more, otherwise you will be possibly disappointed each week.. Look up what a 1lb loss looks like and you will be very happy with yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I shall continue my mantra of small constant gains !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,284 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

m'lady wrote: »
    I'm gonna double check with her next week though as if I thought it could help me lose more I'd reduce them!

You could do that yourself in fairness. Nothing really stopping you having your own limit of 10. 12 whatever. It's all bout your own goals and your own comfort zone

Me, as a bloke, enjoy the extras :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Dodge wrote: »
    You could do that yourself in fairness. Nothing really stopping you having your own limit of 10. 12 whatever. It's all bout your own goals and your own comfort zone

Me, as a bloke, enjoy the extras :cool:

True! I would be just interested to know if it should be 10 syns if under 10 stone.. I usually stick with around 12 a day ( I need my crunchie most nights which is 7.5 syns!).
    You enjoy your extras ( not fair!) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I find sugar in the evenings impacts my weight loss, even the so-called "free" Muller Lights. I keep hi-fi bars etc for a treat now as when I was having them every evening my weight loss totally stalled. I quite enjoy a natural Greek yoghurt now instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

About the syns discussion earlier, you get 20 syns if you're over 16 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Monife wrote: »
    About the syns discussion earlier, you get 20 syns if you're over 16 stone.

I'm not sure if that's true or not. When I started I was 18.5 stone and it was definitely only 15 syns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What is the thinking on why men get extra syns?

Men have a higher calorie allowance per day. I think it's 200cal more than women. I'd imagine that's how they factor in the extra 5 syns.

Wellyd wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's true or not. When I started I was 18.5 stone and it was definitely only 15 syns.

It's definitely true. I am over 16 stone and I have 20 syns and my leader when I joined is the one who told me.

• Advertisement

There's 5 main reasons

1) we're awesome
    2) a bonus for having to listen to star week discussions in group
    3) a bonus for every meeting mentioning chocolate
    4) we generally have bigger frames so need more calories etc to function
    5) just to annoy women

Monife wrote: »
    It's definitely true. I am over 16 stone and I have 20 syns and my leader when I joined is the one who told me.

Feck I feel robbed of all those extra syns! Just on the point of different leaders, I've been weighing in with a different group for the last few weeks. This week she did the new members talk again for everyone and she explained that if you were going out at the weekend you could use 5 syns a day and save up the other 10 and have 70 syns for the night out. Maybe I'm totally wrong but does that not go against the whole slimming world no binge approach. I know people do this and it works for them but I always thought that flexi syns were when you set a limit irregardless how high for a day an used your syns as normal the rest of the week? It really makes no difference to me but I just thought that all leaders would have to 'teach' the same.

Wellyd wrote: »
    Feck I feel robbed of all those extra syns! Just on the point of different leaders, I've been weighing in with a different group for the last few weeks. This week she did the new members talk again for everyone and she explained that if you were going out at the weekend you could use 5 syns a day and save up the other 10 and have 70 syns for the night out. Maybe I'm totally wrong but does that not go against the whole slimming world no binge approach. I know people do this and it works for them but I always thought that flexi syns were when you set a limit irregardless how high for a day an used your syns as normal the rest of the week? It really makes no difference to me but I just thought that all leaders would have to 'teach' the same.

Yep, that totally goes against normal SW practice :/ A lot of people save their syns, but you're really not meant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's a myth that you can't save syns

"4) YOU CAN'T SAVE YOUR SYNS UP FOR A NIGHT OUT AT THE WEEKEND!

Yes, you can! If you really want to – and you feel really confident that by depriving yourself of Syns for some or most of the week, you’ll be able to enjoy your night out knowing that you’ve stayed within your week’s Syns – go ahead.

If missing out all week feels difficult… and especially if you’re worried about ‘blowing it’ part way through, the alternative is to stay flexible with your Syns. Your weight loss may be a tiny bit slower, although in the long term you could actually achieve a greater weight loss because you avoid those feelings of deprivation. What’s more, with flexible Syns, you could eat healthily and happily for the rest of your life and keep your weight off for good!"

I think it depends on how people approach it

some say "you can't" when they mean "you shouldn't"

Huh, in my group it's really discouraged. Instinctively I'd always think that restricting during the week for a "blowout" at the weekend is destructive behaviour. Just a personal preference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Started back in SW 2 weeks ago. I am lost 1/2 a pound each week. I am so fed up. I haven't had a piece of bread, butter, cheese, crisp alcohol in that time.

I am weighing my HEA and HEB, making sure my left plate has 1/3 free food.

what am I doing wrong. I am so fed up.

I mean I had to choose between cheese and coffee. its like Sophie's choice.

This is yesterdays food - what am I doing wrong?
    Breakfast:
    35g Kelkin Muesli 4.5 HEB
    Nectarine S 0
    Pear S 0
    Total FF Yoghurt 0
    Coffee 0 HEA
    Pint of water 0

Snack:
    Boiled Egg 0
    Coffee 0 HEA

Lunch:
    Speed Soup S 0
    Muller Light Yoghurt 0
    Pint of water 0
    Coffee 0 HEA

Snack: Banana 0

Dinner:
    Rice 0
    Peppers S 0
    Onions S 0
    Tomatoes S 0
    Peas S 0
    Sweetcorn S 0
    Soy Sauce
    Pint of water

Snack:
    Tea 0
    Freddo 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

John Mason wrote: »
    Started back in SW 2 weeks ago. I am lost 1/2 a pound each week. I am so fed up. I haven't had a piece of bread, butter, cheese, crisp alcohol in that time.

I mean I had to choose between cheese and coffee. its like Sophie's choice

Are you using your syns John? Drinking enough water? Eating til you're full?

dee_mc wrote: »
    Are you using your syns John? Drinking enough water? Eating til you're full?

yeah

yeah

You mentioned something about having one third free food on your plate, just to double check you meant 2/3 free and 1/3 speed, yeah?

Going too far with the speed foods (i.e. having a lot more than one third speed) can impede your loss too.

I haven't done one myself but several people in my group have done an SAS Log to help them get back on track when they are disappointed with their losses. It's like a supercharged food diary. You can get the sheets from your consultant in group or find it under the 'my weight loss tools' tab on the SW website.

• Advertisement

You mentioned something about having one third free food on your plate, just to double check you meant 2/3 free and 1/3 speed, yeah?

Going too far with the speed foods (i.e. having a lot more than one third speed) can impede your loss too.

I haven't done one myself but several people in my group have done an SAS Log to help them get back on track when they are disappointed with their losses. It's like a supercharged food diary. You can get the sheets from your consultant in group or find it under the 'my weight loss tools' tab on the SW website.

yeah sorry I mean 1/3 speed

Lunch:
    Speed Soup S 0
    Muller Light Yoghurt 0
    Pint of water 0
    Coffee 0 HEA

Dinner:
    Rice 0
    Peppers S 0
    Onions S 0
    Tomatoes S 0
    Peas S 0
    Sweetcorn S 0
    Soy Sauce
    Pint of water
    You need to eat more "free food", specifically protein (meat!)

I don't see any at all on your day. Your lunch is basically all speed when it should only be 1/3rd. Your dinner is probably 2/3rd speed. Again, you've no protein there.

You need to eat more "free food", specifically protein (meat!)

I don't see any at all on your day. Your lunch is basically all speed when it should only be 1/3rd. Your dinner is probably 2/3rd speed. Again, you've no protein there.

Not everyone eats meat... But yes some form of protein is needed. Beans in the soup maybe, and tofu in the stir fry?

Dolbert wrote: »
    Not everyone eats meat... But yes some form of protein is needed. Beans in the soup maybe, and tofu in the stir fry?

There's loads of beans and lentils in the speed soup but yeah, definitely more free foods and especially protein foods needed... I would be so bad tempered and weak if I was trying to survive on that :(

Breakfast:
    35g Kelkin Muesli 4.5 HEB
    Nectarine S 0
    Pear S 0
    Total FF Yoghurt 0
    Coffee 0 HEA
    Pint of water 0

Snack:
    Boiled Egg 0
    Coffee 0 HEA

Lunch:
    Speed Soup S 0
    Muller Light Yoghurt 0
    Pint of water 0
    Coffee 0 HEA

Dinner:
    Rice 0
    Peppers S 0
    Onions S 0
    Tomatoes S 0
    Peas S 0
    Sweetcorn S 0
    Soy Sauce
    Pint of water

Snack:
    Tea 0
    Freddo 5

Just re your museli for breakfast, you shouldn't be counting your HEB as syns - so you've only used 5 syns that day, for your Freddo bar.

Just re your museli for breakfast, you shouldn't be counting your HEB as syns - so you've only used 5 syns that day, for your Freddo bar.

Plus, I found that the weeks I restrict my syns, I lose less, and the weeks where I have close to or all of my syns, I lose more. No idea why, could be that your body relaxes a bit more and allows you to lose the weight. You could give it a go, try and eat like 10 syns a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's 5 main reasons

1) we're awesome
    2) a bonus for having to listen to star week discussions in group
    3) a bonus for every meeting mentioning chocolate
    4) we generally have bigger frames so need more calories etc to function
    5) just to annoy women

I go between two groups and there's rarely mention of chocolate but alcohol seems to be the biggest challenge for most of the members :D

Ye have a lot more muscle.

Anyone else here get through to regionals for Woman of the Year? I have no idea what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had a great week dietwise but since yesterday I started to feel more bloated and I'm on a concoction of medication including strong anti-inflammatory tablets and nearly cried when I got on the scales and was up 2.5lbs.

I baked a birthday cake for my son who's 20 today before I went to class but when I got home his girlfriend had bought him a chocolate fudge cake. I had a tiny slice, 73gms but unlike past behaviour where I would have thought feck it, I may as well be hung for the sheep as for the lamb and iced my cake and had a slice or two of it, instead I'm going to freeze the sponges and save them for another time and just use one sponge at a time so have a half cake to limit potential damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

As expected after my off plan holiday, I gained 2.5 lbs, I am putting it behind me and focus on trying to get rid of that or most of it next week.

We have to live after all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement