Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Greenduck wrote: »
    Hi ladies

Ok the rest of us will ignore your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Hi ladies - I have joined SW for the 4th time (yes I know) on Wednesday. I am a chronic weekday dieter and chronic weekend binger. I work long hours and am great at making excuses. I tried to do slimming world last in my final year of a part-time degree which I was doing while working full-time. Needless to say it didn't go very well.

I am now determined to get the 19lbs I need off (or close to) before Christmas. I am really concerned it might not work for me again and keep weighing myself every day which is driving me demented when I'm fluctuating. Could someone take a look at my food from yesterday and see if it is ok?

Breakfast - 2 baked eggs with melon
    Lunch - leftover king prawn and veg egg fried rice (melon after)
    Dinner - 2 home-made burger patties fried in fry-light with Sweet Potato chips and lettuce with Tbl Light Mayo adn one light cheese triangle
    Snack - Muller light strawberry

I think you are not having many syns there so if I was you, you should incorporate that into your plan, you will be doing well, I would probably eat more than you do though lol. Do you feel hungry?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

sm213 wrote: »
    Well that was amazing!
    Kinda like backwards apple pie the apples were crunchy and the quinoa was the soft filling.
    The yoghurt was great in it and acted like milk. Without the syrup it would be completely free healthy breakfast.
    And it would still be nice without it.
    I don't like normal porridge so was worried but its much lighter.
    Delighted now :)

I love it!! And IMO it's not a tweak - quinoa porridge is a 'thing' that non-SW people eat - not some concoction made up to cheat SW lol!! I have it weekday mornings and usually have something else at the weekends for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Ok the rest of us will ignore your post.

How embarrassing :o

Hello everbody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Hi ladies - I have joined SW for the 4th time (yes I know) on Wednesday. I am a chronic weekday dieter and chronic weekend binger. I work long hours and am great at making excuses. I tried to do slimming world last in my final year of a part-time degree which I was doing while working full-time. Needless to say it didn't go very well.

I am now determined to get the 19lbs I need off (or close to) before Christmas. I am really concerned it might not work for me again and keep weighing myself every day which is driving me demented when I'm fluctuating. Could someone take a look at my food from yesterday and see if it is ok?

Dinner - 2 home-made burger patties fried in fry-light with Sweet Potato chips and lettuce with Tbl Light Mayo adn one light cheese triangle

More snacking on fruit maybe in between this should boost your weight loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

upinthesky wrote: »
    More snacking on fruit maybe in between this should boost your weight loss

How will eating more boost weight loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Vahevala wrote: »
    I think you are not having many syns there so if I was you, you should incorporate that into your plan, you will be doing well, I would probably eat more than you do though lol. Do you feel hungry?

Yep very hungry today! wasn't too bad yesterday..
    Today I've had :

2 baked eggs and one apple
    Curried beans and 2 wholemeal bread (melon afterwards)
    2 light cheese triangles.

I am extremely hungry though :(. For my 1st week I'd like to use my syns in a healthy way just to try and break the bad habit of eating junk! I feel like I am eating more than I used to which is quite bizarre!

Because your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the weight, I have eaten quite a lot and have lost 5 stone 10 lbs in just over a year.

Yep very hungry today! wasn't too bad yesterday..
    Today I've had :

2 baked eggs and one apple
    Curried beans and 2 wholemeal bread (melon afterwards)
    2 light cheese triangles.

I am extremely hungry though :(. For my 1st week I'd like to use my syns in a healthy way just to try and break the bad habit of eating junk! I feel like I am eating more than I used to which is quite bizarre!

On Slimming World, the ethos is that you should never feel hungry, fill up on free food including speed food and you shouldn't make yourself feel that you are on a diet, it will be much more enjoyable for you.

Vahevala wrote: »
    Because your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the weight, I have eaten quite a lot and have lost 5 stone 10 lbs in just over a year.

Your body doesn't go into starvation mode unless you are starving, as in the medical definition of the term not just "I could murder a big mac". Undereating causes lethargy and can have a knock on effect in that you move less, burn less calories and so need to eat less to drop weight but you will not simply drop weight by eating more food. Its absolutely impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd be concerned that you might not be getting enough speed, and I think I'd be hungry if I was eating what you're eating (although obviously I've no idea about your portion sizes). Make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body and not going hungry. Are you getting one third speed and two thirds free at every meal? Are you using your syns? I find I lose less the weeks I use fewer syns, so don't be afraid to use them - they're the third step of the plan.

keeps your metabolism going and i find you're less likely to go at the biscuits and sweets if you snack on fruit..which helps with weight loss

keeps your metabolism going and i find you're less likely to go at the biscuits and sweets if you snack on fruit..which helps with weight loss

The last bit it very true, but the first bit is nonsense - is that something slimming world say to ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

I bought an expensive vanilla extract in the health food shop that has no sugar etc in it so its a great option.

I want my breakfast to be syn free where possible and i have more focus now and exploring all options and ways of making this possible.

Also working on lunch as i train now most lunch times and need a good feed but need to keep it rally low syn.

I always have my low fat crisps after lunch to get my savory hit.

Sounds good will try that. Although the yoghurt was free and replaced the milk one would normally use.
    If you leave the syrup out its syn free filling and yum :)

I had dyn free lunch today: layered salad sweet corn mixed leaves cucumber tomato grated carrot pasta egg and ham slices and chicken slices.
    Made a big bowl so can snack if I get peckish between now and dinner but should be OK as decent amount of protein :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Your body doesn't go into starvation mode unless you are starving, as in the medical definition of the term not just "I could murder a big mac". Undereating causes lethargy and can have a knock on effect in that you move less, burn less calories and so need to eat less to drop weight but you will not simply drop weight by eating more food. Its absolutely impossible.

I don't mean to be rude but you're wrong there. I and plenty of others on this thread have lost a significant amount of weight by changing our eating habits in such a way that we are eating much, much more than we used to - granted, eating the right things, but also using our syns rather than surviving on iron rations.
    I think you need to follow the plan to the letter, eat until you're full every single time and use your 10 to 15 syns every single day and see how it goes - I didn't trust the plan my first few weeks so I avoided using syns and ate diet sized portions and had small losses... once I started actually following the plan and eating lots I started losing the weight and feeling better and now, a year and nearly 5 stone later, I'm honestly eating more every day than I ever did before, enjoying my treats but more importantly enjoying every meal without guilt. The key for me was getting to trust the plan, and in order to trust it I had to 'test' it, so now I advise everyone starting out to follow it to the letter for a few weeks because what have you got to lose by eating lots of lovely food and just seeing what happens?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think it's more that if you fill up on fruit etc, you're less likely to snack on worse things later on. Starvation mode is a myth however and I see it repeated all the time on this forum (it's not a Slimming World thing)

dee_mc wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but you're wrong there. I and plenty of others on this thread have lost a significant amount of weight by changing our eating habits in such a way that we are eating much, much more than we used to - granted, eating the right things, but also using our syns rather than surviving on iron rations.
    I think you need to follow the plan to the letter, eat until you're full every single time and use your 10 to 15 syns every single day and see how it goes - I didn't trust the plan my first few weeks so I avoided using syns and ate diet sized portions and had small losses... once I started actually following the plan and eating lots I started losing the weight and feeling better and now, a year and nearly 5 stone later, I'm honestly eating more every day than I ever did before, enjoying my treats but more importantly enjoying every meal without guilt. The key for me was getting to trust the plan, and in order to trust it I had to 'test' it, so now I advise everyone starting out to follow it to the letter for a few weeks because what have you got to lose by eating lots of lovely food and just seeing what happens?!

Find a single study that proves what you are saying. Great that you have lost weight and all, well done etc but saying that eating more cause weight loss is absolute nonsense. The only way you can lose weight is by consuming less calories than you burn. Adding more calories will not cause weight loss, its not possible.

Everyone has their ups and downs with weight loss at least you have come back to it :)
    If you are on extra easy doesn't look like you had your full hexa or b which you need for nutritionnutrition
    I'd snack on carrot sticks and sw hummus
    But apart from that once 1/3 of your player are speed food you're doing fine
    I'm a newbie so maybe I'm missing something.

Dolbert wrote: »
    I think it's more that if you fill up on fruit etc, you're less likely to snack on worse things later on. Starvation mode is a myth however and I see it repeated all the time on this forum (it's not a Slimming World thing)

Yes I agree with what you say here, just challenging the belief that eating more causes weight loss. I think its extremely bad and careless advice to give people.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

And yet the results speak for themselves?

You can question it all you like but it won't change the fact that it works for most of the people who do follow it

• Advertisement

I don't really see the point in someone coming on to this support thread for a plan they don't believe in to tell us its wrong.
    Weight loss is weight loss, it works for people.
    I wouldn't look at your diet and tell you its wrong.
    Each to their own and all that.

Since I've started Slimming World I've eaten more food than I ever have before and I've lost nearly 2 stone. That is purely from following the plan as I have done almost no exercise.

And I don't just eat fruit and veg either. I eat plenty of pasta, rice, potatoes and other foods that other diets tell you to avoid

It's a high carb diet, you need carbs to store fat, cut out the amount of fat you eat and you lose weight..

And yet the results speak for themselves?

You can question it all you like but it won't change the fact that it works for most of the people who do follow it

Eating more food doesn't work, for anyone, except as a way to gain weight. I suspect that what is actually happening is that you are not eating more but eating less as you have less change of binging, as one poster already said
    sm213 wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in someone coming on to this support thread for a plan they don't believe in to tell us its wrong.
    Weight loss is weight loss, it works for people.
    I wouldn't look at your diet and tell you its wrong.
    Each to their own and all that.

Where did I say slimming world is wrong (though there are parts of it that are)? I challenged a statement made that is manifestly wrong. Do you think its a good idea to give new followers of the plan misinformation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,284 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's a high carb diet, you need carbs to store fat, cut out the amount of fat you eat and you lose weight..

No it's not. There's no need to eat any carbs on SW at all. Many don't.

I, myself, love them

On the "eating more". It's a bit of a fallacy. You're eating better. You might have more meals a day or have bigger portions, but you're cutting out all the ****e you used to eat. That's the key. Eating more isn't the thing that's making you lose weight. Eating less crap is

SW is pretty much about ensuring you eat enough fruit and veg each day, while limiting fatty/sugary/processed food. Anyone who thinks it isn't based on a healthy eating lifestyle hasn't looked into it enough

You absolutely do not need carbs to store fat and fat is essential for a healthy diet. Cut out fat and say bye to your hormones. For what its worth, those low fat foods tend to be absolutely laced with cheap sugars.

Dodge wrote: »
    No it's not. There's no need to eat any carbs on SW at all. Many don't.

I, myself, love them

oh yes sorry you don't need to, but that's what i do sorry..

From my (very little) understanding the plan seems to be basically eating a healthy balanced diet. Some people see that you can eat all the pasta ,rice etc you want and jump on saying that can't be possible.
    The important thing to remember is that a third of all your meals must be speed food i.e fruit and veg
    People might go a bit mad at the start but ultimately you learn to control your portions.
    Also if your fat intake is limited your body will break down it's fat to use in digestion hence weight loss.
    I've been filling up on fruit and veg and making food from scratch instead of eating endless amounts of cheese (my weakness) mindlessly snacking on crisps/chocolate and telling myself ready made jars of sauce can't be that bad.
    I have to be mindful of what I eat but I haven't yet been hungry.
    I've tried other diets like 5:2 and juice detoxs they don't work for me. I'm starving and cave and get a pizza.
    The women in my group have lost impressive amounts of weight.
    One has lost 13lbs in a month!
    It encourages a change in lifestyle that can be maintained for life.
    What's so wrong with that.
    If we are allowed eat more and it still works then what's the problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I also have never eaten as much as I do now, and have lost 2.5 stone, I really think it's unfair of people to come in here slating the plan when it's a thread for people to support one another.

Can I ask how do you make the quinoa porridge?
    Also has anyone ever tried the green tea capsules? I'd love to be able to drink the tea but I really can't!

• Advertisement

I still don't really understand what point you are trying to prove.

Most people who follow the programme lose the weight. They lose weight by having as much "free" food as they like, 2 healthy extras and between 5-25 syns a day depending on their gender and size.

They do eat more food than before they are just eating smarter. Obviously you won't lose weight if you eat chocolate morning, noon and night and nothing else but in terms of eating actual meals and snacks it's more than I ever ate before and I'm losing weight. And I can eat chocolate every day if I want. As long as it doesn't go over my syns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement