Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

m'lady wrote: »
    I also have never eaten as much as I do now, and have lost 2.5 stone, I really think it's unfair of people to come in here slating the plan when it's a thread for people to support one another.

Who slated the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Who slated the plan?

Questioned? Whatever word you want to use.

I still don't really understand what point you are trying to prove.

Most people who follow the programme lose the weight. They lose weight by having as much "free" food as they like, 2 healthy extras and between 5-25 syns a day depending on their gender and size.

They do eat more food than before they are just eating smarter. Obviously you won't lose weight if you eat chocolate morning, noon and night and nothing else but in terms of eating actual meals and snacks it's more than I ever ate before and I'm losing weight. And I can eat chocolate every day if I want. As long as it doesn't go over my syns.

No. Its not more, its less, thats how weight loss works.

Questioned? Whatever word you want to use.

Does the plan say to eat more foods to lose weight? I did ask this already but no-one answered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

No. Its not more, its less, thats how weight loss works.

No. The food might be less calorific than before but it's still not less food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Does the plan say to eat more foods to lose weight? I did ask this already but no-one answered me.

No, it doesn't.

It states you should 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch & dinner).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

I also have never eaten as much as I do now, and have lost 2.5 stone, I really think it's unfair of people to come in here slating the plan when it's a thread for people to support one another.

Can I ask how do you make the quinoa porridge?
    Also has anyone ever tried the green tea capsules? I'd love to be able to drink the tea but I really can't!

The o e I made today ended up being about 3 days worth :)
    1 cup quinoa
    2cups water
    1/4 tsp clove powder
    Cinamon stick(cinnamon powder is good too not sure how much though)

Pot cinnamon and clove powder in water in pot and boil.
    Add quinoa and turn down heat and simmer for 20 mins or until water is absorbed.
    Take off heat and cover pan with lid and let sit for 10 mins.
    Separate with fork.
    I then added 1/2 pot of the free aldi yoghurt coconut and vanilla flavour which made it creamy and gave lovely flavour. You could use plain yoghurt and vanilla extract if you have it.
    I then topped with thin slices of apple to completely cover it.
    I used a tbsp of maple syrup for 2 syns but it would be just as good without for a syn free breakie.

You could cook with 1/2 water 1/2 milk but I didn't want to work out how much was in a portion out of my hexa.
    Also need it for bacon double cheeseburger later ;)

I've seen somewhere where someone does it like overnight oats and can just be microwaved in morning too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I think Dodge got it spot on there, you don't more you eat better.

Its simple MORE good and LESS bad food choices.

You put thought into what you eat, without counting every calorie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

No, it encourages people to fill up on more "free" foods such as fruit and veg. When people say they're eating more, they're eating a lot of filling yet relatively low calorie food so it's still an overall reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

It seems like people are getting confused between the amount of food on the plate and the calories on the plate when they are saying you can't eat more and lose weight. Yes, you do need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. Just because they are eating more doesn't mean that they are consuming more calories. They are making more sensible choices with regards to the food they are eating which allows them to eat more. For example, if I ate a bag of Walkers Salt and Vinegar Crisps at 184 calories a 35g bag but one day decided to change my ways and opted for a small bag of carrot sticks at 35 calories a 100g bag, I would be eating an increased volume of food while lowering my calorie intake. I know slimming world doesn't focus on calories at all but that essentially is how the system works. It encourages better choices.

• Advertisement

No. The food might be less calorific than before but it's still not less food

If it is less then it is not more. The advice was to eat more. The advice was not to eat more but less calorific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

sm213 wrote: »
    The o e I made today ended up being about 3 days worth :)
    1 cup quinoa
    2cups water
    1/4 tsp clove powder
    Cinamon stick(cinnamon powder is good too not sure how much though)

Pot cinnamon and clove powder in water in pot and boil.
    Add quinoa and turn down heat and simmer for 20 mins or until water is absorbed.
    Take off heat and cover pan with lid and let sit for 10 mins.
    Separate with fork.
    I then added 1/2 pot of the free aldi yoghurt coconut and vanilla flavour which made it creamy and gave lovely flavour. You could use plain yoghurt and vanilla extract if you have it.
    I then topped with thin slices of apple to completely cover it.
    I used a tbsp of maple syrup for 2 syns but it would be just as good without for a syn free breakie.

You could cook with 1/2 water 1/2 milk but I didn't want to work out how much was in a portion out of my hexa.
    Also need it for bacon double cheeseburger later ;)

I've seen somewhere where someone does it like overnight oats and can just be microwaved in morning too. :)

Thank you Sm, I'll definitely give it a try. Trying to think of something to replace the clove powder as I don't like that flavour.. I'll have a think!

Enjoy your burger ;)

If it is less then it is not more. The advice was to eat more. The advice was not to eat more but less calorific.

Actually the advice if you want to be pedantic about it is neither. Some foods are considered free foods and you can eat as much as you want of those foods along with an allowance of dairy and bread. Some foods have syn values and you are only allowed a certain amount of syns per days. The free foods happen to be those foods with less calories. The emphasis is on preparing meals from scratch, increasing your veg and fruit intake and using substitutes to creams etc in cooking. You are encouraged to have three meals a day and to eat until full at those meals primarily using free foods to combat cravings. For some people they may need to eat a bigger volume of food (with less calories) to satisfy their hunger. You are not expressly told to eat more or to eat foods with lower calories, you are told to make better choices. Lots of women have made amazing losses by eating a higher volume of food with less calories so it clearly works for them and I don't see why it should be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

hairycakes wrote: »
    Lots of women have made amazing losses by eating a higher volume of food with less calories so it clearly works for them and I don't see why it should be questioned.

And men... :cool:

People can question it all they like, but at least understand what it is before doing so.

Correct Dodge, Apologies to all the men also making amazing losses on the plan!!

hairycakes wrote: »
    Actually the advice if you want to be pedantic about it is neither. Some foods are considered free foods and you can eat as much as you want of those foods along with an allowance of dairy and bread. Some foods have syn values and you are only allowed a certain amount of syns per days. The free foods happen to be those foods with less calories. The emphasis is on preparing meals from scratch, increasing your veg and fruit intake and using substitutes to creams etc in cooking. You are encouraged to have three meals a day and to eat until full at those meals primarily using free foods to combat cravings. For some people they may need to eat a bigger volume of food (with less calories) to satisfy their hunger. You are not expressly told to eat more or to eat foods with lower calories, you are told to make better choices. Lots of women have made amazing losses by eating a higher volume of food with less calories so it clearly works for them and I don't see why it should be questioned.

I do want to be pedantic, i would have though that was obvious :p A poster here was advised by another poster to eat more, i said that was bad advice and then people contradicted me. Its a simple as that.

If you'd like to chat about food being "free" we could be here a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Find a single study that proves what you are saying. Great that you have lost weight and all, well done etc but saying that eating more cause weight loss is absolute nonsense. The only way you can lose weight is by consuming less calories than you burn. Adding more calories will not cause weight loss, its not possible.

I'm not about to engage in an argument here but I'll make one point: I never said anything about consuming more calories, I talked about eating more food. And it works for me and for many others.

Sorry, i should have cottoned on to that I guess :) In what context was the poster told to eat more? Were they having cravings, not feeling full, tempted to cheat the plan, going over their allowed syns?

Free is just the term used for foods which can be eaten freely without affecting your syn balance for the day. I have heard of people over doing it on fruit which has raised their sugar level but in general people I know keep it pretty balanced between fruit and veg.

Thank you Sm, I'll definitely give it a try. Trying to think of something to replace the clove powder as I don't like that flavour.. I'll have a think!

Enjoy your burger ;)

I hate cloves that's why it's such a tiny amount. Original recipe said 1tsp and that was too much. Cinnamon on its own would still be yum with the apple slices.

I think you can add any flavour and fruit to the base though.
    Like could mix strawberry yogurt and fresh fruit on top.
    Some people make with almond milk.
    Definitely do what flavours you like or its pointless I think :)

Thanks I'm sure I will.
    Loving slimming world.
    Only starting and I am changing the way I look at food already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Would be lovely if longer than a week could go without arguments starting.

Back on plan after a lazy week of not touching a vegetable.

I had coffee and a salted caramel hifi bar this morning. They are my new love, absolutely delicious. And no I do not want to hear about it's full of sugar and crap and really bad for me. I like them, they're a really nice sweet treat and it's essentially instead of a chocolate bar of bag of crisps. It's just by chance that it's also a HexB I don't really do bread so it's handy not to count the syns. But I really like them so if they weren't I probably would eat them every now and again.

Also had an omelette today with peppers, spring onions, feta and cajun chicken. Really not hungry now don't know if I'll bother having dinner.

Another new love is the Heinz fajita beans, so nice and spicy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'm not about to engage in an argument here but I'll make one point: I never said anything about consuming more calories, I talked about eating more food. And it works for me and for many others.

I'm eating a lot more food now compared to what I used to eat before I started SW. My husband has lost weight without even trying as he's eating the same meals as myself and he thinks it's a great diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

is guinoa free if used with water or is it a healthy B?

upinthesky wrote: »
    is guinoa free if used with water or is it a healthy B?

It's free with water.
    It's in the book where couscous and pasta etc.
    Page 18 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Massive miscommunications happening here!

How slimming world works is very simple - it automatically puts MOST people at a calorie deficit.

Basically, most people on it eat larger quantities per gram of food, but much fewer calories per gram of food, because they are eating mainly fresh food, as opposed to frozen pizzas and chocolate and crisps.

So technically, you're eating LESS, because you're consuming less calories. Just so happens that the per gram quantity of food is higher.

Slimming world is like any other food plan that works - it's putting you at a calorie deficit. It just doesn't tell you that, because they don't really count calories, they just know that replacing processed food with fresh = deficit.

And then on SP days, you're basically cutting out refined carbs and refined sugar (no white rice, pasta, muller lights, etc). So that tends to leave you at an even bigger calorie deficit for those days.

It's very simple, but is obviously causing confusion with the "more food, less food" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

If people choose to jump on others for things they post, that isn't a thread that I want to be part of. This is meant to be a support thread for those following SW, it isn't meant to be a thread for those questioning the values that SW follow.

All I know is without finding Slimming World, I would never have achieved the weight loss that I have and for that I am so grateful.

On another note, I am finding that drinking squash as opposed to just having water has made a big difference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

sm213 wrote: »
    It's free with water.
    It's in the book where couscous and pasta etc.
    Page 18 :)

Brilliant, add fruit and it's perfect, nice to find a non syn breakfast that doesn't use your healthy extras!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all. I really want to try the overnight quinoa but I'm quite fussy. I don't like porridge so wondering if I will like this. Any recipes I've found are on the paleo type websites and the pictures look awful, really wet, grey and milky or something. I don't like meals that wet or sloppy, should I give it a go? Would love to save my heb for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Monife wrote: »
    Hi all. I really want to try the overnight quinoa but I'm quite fussy. I don't like porridge so wondering if I will like this. Any recipes I've found are on the paleo type websites and the pictures look awful, really wet, grey and milky or something. I don't like meals that wet or sloppy, should I give it a go? Would love to save my heb for lunch.

Like soak it overnight? It'd still be a but crunchy I think which I don't like at all! I soak it all day while I'm at work, cook it in a microwave rice cooker in the evening and leave it overnight to soak up any water and get it extra fluffy - I make up a weeks worth at a time. I love porridge but was having it petty much every day and no other hex b so decided to try quinoa instead a few months ago - i think started the trend here lol :p. I mix it with natural yoghurt and sweetener and sometimes add vanilla/cinnamon and add loads of speed fruit. It's not as heavy and stodgy as porridge...but if you're mixing in yoghurt/fruit it's going to be wet so you probably won't like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I've stayed on plan 100% all week and will have trained 6 days out of 7............if i'm not weight i'll punch whoever weighs me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Monife wrote: »

If you don't like wet or milky food, it may not be for you!

If you want to save your healthy B, why not make something like bacon medallions, eggs and grilled tomatoes or some fried mushrooms (with frylite) for breakfast? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement