Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Just want to gauge some opinions here. How many of you actually stay for the meetings after weigh in? I've stayed every week but the last few weeks I feel like I'm getting nothing out of it. It feels like the same people saying the same thing every week and I don't feel like it's really helpful.

It's nice for people who need that extra bit of encouragement or maybe people who feel like the plan isn't working for them it might give them a boost. See with me there is an age/gender gap. I'm the only male in the group and its mostly women older than me. They are all lovely people but it's not a social thing for me. I've never said that to anyone before because I wouldn't want people to think it was coming from a mean spirited place. I was so glad to see a thread on Slimming World here on boards because everyone is so anonymous that it's like we're all in the same boat

I stay every week, I like it because I have got friendly with some of the people in group and I enjoy trying to help others.
    Mondo123 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies and Gents,

Up 2.5 this week which is a disaster for me :( stayed on plan 6 of the 7 days but had a dinner and party on sat which entailed food out of plan and a couple of proseccos \ vodkas (only about 6 altogether) :( ... I'm weary as my weight loss is so slow on average half a pound to 1 pound a week it'll take me at least 3 weeks to get back to where I was, felt like crying last night on the scales!!!

Speed soup was mentioned above... Maybe thats something I could give a try to, assume its just all speed veggies with veg stock? trying really hard to stay motivated as right now I feel like throwing in the towel but this thread is really helpful so thanks all! :(

I am so sorry to hear that, I know it can be really frustrating but the best thing you can do is try to keep focused, and go back to basics and give it your all this week. It is very frustrating especially when you have tried so hard :( Don't give up, you will get there x

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Started exercising this week for the first time in a long time. Doing a 15 min workout each day and also been using some dumbbells and leg weights. Also downloaded couch to 5k and did my first day today. Downloaded the free version and I'm going to do that for a few days to see if it's worth buying the full one.

Would love love to loose 2lb this week to get my 1 stone award but I've learned to not expect anything. Some weeks it falls off and others it's only half a lb. I've been pretty much on plan all of the time since I started 10 weeks ago very few times have I gone over my syns majorly and I've still always lost. Hoping to keep going that way even if it is slow. Trying to wean myself a little bit off the chocolate. The more I eat the more I crave. At the moment I see 15 syns as a goal and not a limit and I want to get away from that mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm due to get my free week for my Club 10 award on Thursday. Since I'll definitely have a gain, is there any way that'll disqualify me? Overall I'm still about 10lb under my Club 10 weight so I should still get the free week, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Dolbert wrote: »
    I'm due to get my free week for my Club 10 award on Thursday. Since I'll definitely have a gain, is there any way that'll disqualify me? Overall I'm still about 10lb under my Club 10 weight so I should still get the free week, right?

I think you have to either stay the same or lose for 10 weeks :(

Vahevala wrote: »
    I think you have to either stay the same or lose for 10 weeks :(

Ah FFS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Just want to gauge some opinions here. How many of you actually stay for the meetings after weigh in? I've stayed every week but the last few weeks I feel like I'm getting nothing out of it. It feels like the same people saying the same thing every week and I don't feel like it's really helpful.

Since January I've only missed 2 meetings and had weigh in every week, I find it helps me a lot, always get new ideas or find out if I've been doing anything wrong ( still can't believe about the noodles) my class has a great mix of old, young, male and female, target members, people with little weight to loose and people like me who have quite a lot to loose. I really like my consultant though, we had a sub in once or twice and I found myself feeling quite defensive with her so maybe if you can try another group you may feel more comfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I had a gain of 1.5lbs the week before I was due my free week and I got it.. I also take the money in my class and have never had to tell anyone that they have to pay cos they gained.. So I'd say you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

Mondo123 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies and Gents,

Up 2.5 this week which is a disaster for me :( stayed on plan 6 of the 7 days but had a dinner and party on sat which entailed food out of plan and a couple of proseccos \ vodkas (only about 6 altogether) :( ... I'm weary as my weight loss is so slow on average half a pound to 1 pound a week it'll take me at least 3 weeks to get back to where I was, felt like crying last night on the scales!!!

Speed soup was mentioned above... Maybe thats something I could give a try to, assume its just all speed veggies with veg stock? trying really hard to stay motivated as right now I feel like throwing in the towel but this thread is really helpful so thanks all! :(

Mondo, don't give up. Think about where you started, not what happened last week. I was a slow loser too. After first week only ever lost half to one pound, if anything. I also found that my weight loss was about a week behind weigh in. However I did eventually get to my target. If you have gained it that quickly you might lose it as quickly next week.
    You are right about speed soup, loads of variations of it online but basically its speed veg made into soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

To the best of my knowledge you will get your free week. You are told at the desk that its free before you weigh in, so as long as you weigh in under your club 10 weight you won't get charged.

Just got confirmation from my consultant that I'll get my free week, you just need to maintain or be below your Club 10 weight after 10 weeks. I thought not being allowed any gain at all in 10 weeks was a bit harsh :eek: Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

m'lady wrote: »
    Hey Dee... Your not a moan, we all get bad days/weeks and you couldn't help it that you were sick! Just go to class as normal and if you do gain/maintain you will shift it this week. It's hard when your sick, I know I go off food and inevitably have a gain, try and keep drinking the water and you could even make a speed soup? When is your weigh in?

Thanks for that!
    Weigh in is tomorrow but I may miss it because of a funeral, I'm ok anyway still motivated (but wrecked!) and my appetite is, strangely, unaffected by the fact that I can't really taste or smell anything!!
    I'm not a fan of the speed soup but must have a go at making a tomato and red pepper soup the next time I have a full day off, I used to make a fairly calorific one so will have to see about making a more SW friendly one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Had my first weigh in tonight and somehow gained half a lb :(
    The group leader was really nice took my food diary home to read and will ring tomorrow.
    Hopefully can figure out where I went wrong.
    Also she told me mallons sausages are not free so I'm off to Iceland to buy some syn free tomorrow. Got a few vouchers in group.
    Anyone doing the 12 week countdown with Xmas book free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I've always found a good, supportive group and consultant the best thing to aid my weight loss. I changed groups to one further away because of this recently and already feeling much more motivated :)

sm213 wrote: »
    Had my first weigh in tonight and somehow gained half a lb :(
    The group leader was really nice took my food diary home to read and will ring tomorrow.
    Hopefully can figure out where I went wrong.
    Also she told me mallons sausages are not free so I'm off to Iceland to buy some syn free tomorrow. Got a few vouchers in group.
    Anyone doing the 12 week countdown with Xmas book free?

Mallons aren't free??? What??? I thought they were. F*ck!!

As far as I'm aware the Mallon's low fat and gluten free sausages are free (all flavours) but the regular Mallon's sausages are synned alright. Can't find them on SW site to check syns but I didn't hear anything about a change?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

dee_mc wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the Mallon's low fat and gluten free sausages are free (all flavours) but the regular Mallon's sausages are synned alright. Can't find them on SW site to check syns but I didn't hear anything about a change?

Consultant is ringing tomorrow to talk through food diary so I'll ask again specifying low fat ones.
    I hope they are as closest Iceland is a good bit away so I'll go now and then but I wouldn't be doing weekly shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Mallons Low Fat Gluten Free sausages are free.

deisemum wrote: »
    Mallons Low Fat Gluten Free sausages are free.

Phew! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

And the Iceland ones are a bit rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Farmer C

Lift Weights :)

• Advertisement

Well it's a miracle: weighed in this evening (usually weigh in morning) and after my sicky icky week I'm down a pound!
    4 pounds from target, over the moon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

First weigh in tonight and down 3.5! Really happy I thought I was going to be up. Did no planning and don't think I ate a single speed food all week! I did keep on top of my syns for the most part though

First weigh in tonight and down 3.5! Really happy I thought I was going to be up. Did no planning and don't think I ate a single speed food all week! I did keep on top of my syns for the most part though

Wow just think how well you will do once you get on top of that speed food!

Up 4lb after 2 weeks away from group, lol. Totally deserved that in fairness. Want 2 of those gone next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I was down 4 lbs this week. I have now lost 4 stone since the end of January 2015. I look and feel so much better.
    I won't say I have always been prefect. If I have a bad day or week I put it behinde me and get back on the plan.
    In the past I would have given up when I had a bad day or week but I now cope when this happens.
    I still have more weight to lose. I have had several people tell me they have noticed my weight loss recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I got my 4 stone award today after losing 4 lbs. I have lost this weight since the end of Jan 2015. I am not alway perfect. If I have a bad day or week I get back on the plan. In the past I would have given up when I hit a bad patch.
    Several people have noticed my weight loss recently.
    I have more weight to lose.
    I hope everyone here has a good week.

okiss wrote: »
    I was down 4 lbs this week. I have now lost 4 stone since the end of January 2015. I look and feel so much better.
    I won't say I have always been prefect. If I have a bad day or week I put it behinde me and get back on the plan.
    In the past I would have given up when I had a bad day or week but I now cope when this happens.
    I still have more weight to lose. I have had several people tell me they have noticed my weight loss recently.

Isn't it lovely when people begin to notice the change in you!
    Well done on your amazing progress, don't forget to take lots of photos and make a note of your changing measurements for extra motivation and pat-on-the-back feel-good factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

First week over for me. Followed the plan to the letter, and only used a handful of syns all week, even walked several days for the first time in years. Was so disappointed though cause I only lost 2.5 pounds :( . Treated myself to a curly wurly tonight to make myself feel better. I hope things are better next week or I can see the motivation dropping. I know 2.5 is great but usually the first week on most diets you would be hoping to have that extra bit.

eimerom wrote: »
    First week over for me. Followed the plan to the letter, and only used a handful of syns all week, even walked several days for the first time in years. Was so disappointed though cause I only lost 2.5 pounds :( . Treated myself to a curly wurly tonight to make myself feel better. I hope things are better next week or I can see the motivation dropping. I know 2.5 is great but usually the first week on most diets you would be hoping to have that extra bit.

When you say only a handful of syns, did you use at least 5 a day? Because you really can afford to, I promise. Make sure you're not going further than one third speed, and make sure you're satisfied after each meal - if not, eat more. It seems counter-intuitive but it genuinely works.
    Also, 2.5 pounds is a lot. Some people (myself included) never experience big losses, and some people lose a good bit one week per month and smaller amounts the other 3 weeks. Congratulate yourself on being 2.5 pounds lighter anyway, it's a great healthy start to your weight loss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

dee_mc wrote: »
    When you say only a handful of syns, did you use at least 5 a day? Because you really can afford to, I promise. Make sure you're not going further than one third speed, and make sure you're satisfied after each meal - if not, eat more. It seems counter-intuitive but it genuinely works.
    Also, 2.5 pounds is a lot. Some people (myself included) never experience big losses, and some people lose a good bit one week per month and smaller amounts the other 3 weeks. Congratulate yourself on being 2.5 pounds lighter anyway, it's a great healthy start to your weight loss!

Thanks Dee. Haven't really used any syns all week cause was filling up fairly well on the speed and free foods and didn't feel the hunger/need. Definitely no more than 10 altogether all week. I think I will be better this week and get the hang of it a bit better and hopefully that will make a difference. Also drank a lot of water this afternoon which may have impacted on the weight too but I'll be more careful of that too next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement