Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Thanks dee_mac! Just a big change :( I found the talk through quiet rushed and it's a big change of eating habits so I definitely struggled this week (I joined on Tuesday ). I think I have the basic understanding of it but I find myself struggling as I was on shift work and just ate cereal or deli sandwich all the time. I never ate dinners ! So it seems like a lot of food to eat in a day !

Ah OK! Well you just need to get organised really, write down your options for stuff you can eat that'll keep you full and satisfied without using up too many syns (keep them for the stuff you really want). A lot of people who do shift work use MugShots (instant pasta and noodle cups, not all are syn free but most are) as a basis for a meal, along with some extra protein and speed fruit/veg. I tend to do a big salad or a soup and have it with some cooked meat or smoked salmon and a Ryvita or two if I'm not organised enough to make some pasta, rice, cous cous or noodles for a bit of carbs.
    One thing you'll probably find after a few weeks of following SW properly, is that you'll get hungry at regular intervals and actually eat more.
    Check up the recipes on the website, there's some great ones for dinners that can be batch cooked and frozen.
    I make vats of tomato sauce for pasta, that's my saviour after a long day at work - just cook off some steak, turkey breast or salmon and saute some veg and you have a lovely filling meal in less that 10 minutes.

Also meant to say, have a good read of the book, ask any questions you have on this thread, fill in your food diaries for the first few weeks (be totally honest, nothing to lose except your weight!) and stay for the new members talk again as many times as it takes until you are entirely confident that you know and understand the plan. Don't be afraid to give your consultant a text or a ring too, they're usually super happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I'm thinking organisation could seriously help me here! I have one quick question are eggs super food or free food? I only see the p symbol beside it!? I stopped shift work a while ago but still eat like I'm on shift ! It was the main factor motivating me to join sw in the first place. :o

I may need to adjust my expectations with my success on sw for the moment. But the leader of my group kept saying how much of a difference you can make between now and christmas and I'm wondering anyone who has recently joined or been at it a while, did you have weight loss success from the first week or did it take a while to get the hang of it ?

I'm thinking organisation could seriously help me here! I have one quick question are eggs super food or free food? I only see the p symbol beside it!? I stopped shift work a while ago but still eat like I'm on shift ! It was the main factor motivating me to join sw in the first place. :o

I may need to adjust my expectations with my success on sw for the moment. But the leader of my group kept saying how much of a difference you can make between now and christmas and I'm wondering anyone who has recently joined or been at it a while, did you have weight loss success from the first week or did it take a while to get the hang of it ?

Eggs are free, and they are a high protein food (P) which would make up half your plate if you were following the SP plan rather than the Extra Easy plan (other half speed (S) foods).
    I had a good first week (4.5 pounds loss, but I was very heavy starting out) but I slowed down after that because I was restricting food and not using my syns. So I was losing half a pound or a pound per week. Once I settled in to the plan I started losing about 2 pounds a week. Some people lose a lot more than that every week, some people lose a stone their first week, some people never lose more than half a pound at a time. It'll vary depending on your hormones etc too. I have never been able to say 'I'm aiming to lose x number of pounds this week', I think you just have to do your best and go with the flow!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Eggs are free, and they are a high protein food (P) which would make up half your plate if you were following the SP plan rather than the Extra Easy plan (other half speed (S) foods).
    I had a good first week (4.5 pounds loss, but I was very heavy starting out) but I slowed down after that because I was restricting food and not using my syns. So I was losing half a pound or a pound per week. Once I settled in to the plan I started losing about 2 pounds a week. Some people lose a lot more than that every week, some people lose a stone their first week, some people never lose more than half a pound at a time. It'll vary depending on your hormones etc too. I have never been able to say 'I'm aiming to lose x number of pounds this week', I think you just have to do your best and go with the flow!

I'm on the extra easy plan so yea free eggs! Love eggs :)
    Omg 4.5 lbs your first week :o Ill be impressed if I maintained my start weight this week never mind actually lost anything ! I ate a lot this week and I'm thinking some of it was more trial by error :pac:
    I would love to lose a stone or a dress size (which ever comes first !) by christmas :o ... that may not happen !

• Advertisement

I'm on the extra easy plan so yea free eggs! Love eggs :)
    Omg 4.5 lbs your first week :o Ill be impressed if I maintained my start weight this week never mind actually lost anything ! I ate a lot this week and I'm thinking some of it was more trial by error :pac:
    I would love to lose a stone or a dress size (which ever comes first !) by christmas :o ... that may not happen !

A lot of people say '10 pounds is a dress size', I think I lost about 15 pounds before I went down a size whereas others in my group have dropped a size after losing half a stone.
    Eating alot is great, just make sure it's all on plan :D
    And by the way, I'm down nearly 5 stone now (within 3 pounds of my target) and I'm still eating like a horse and using all my syns practically every day - I would rarely if ever use less than 12 syns in a day. So, restriction genuinely doesn't work!

A lot of people say '10 pounds is a dress size', I think I lost about 15 pounds before I went down a size whereas others in my group have dropped a size after losing half a stone.
    Eating alot is great, just make sure it's all on plan :D
    And by the way, I'm down nearly 5 stone now (within 3 pounds of my target) and I'm still eating like a horse and using all my syns practically every day - I would rarely if ever use less than 12 syns in a day. So, restriction genuinely doesn't work!

Omg that's fantasitic! I would love to lose 5 stone ! But for now I'd be happy with one. I think I need to try again and re evaluate the food /meal plans especially the syns! I'd be so worried though if I had 2 biscuits thar I wouldn't stop there and id nibble through the whole packet without even realising while watching emmerdale. Definitely need to work on not restricting so!

Do you mind me asking did it take you long to lose 5 stone ? Or when you got the hang of it does staying on plan feel more natural and not as confusing /planned ? Congrats on that weight loss btw! :D

Thanks! I joined in the first week of September last year, and hope to reach target by Christmas. I don't lose weight every week now, partly because I'm now very close to my 'natural weight' and partly because my routine has been all over the place the past couple of months so I'm maintaining a lot of weeks or only losing half a pound.
    Another lady in my group, who would have more to lose, has lost the same amount in half the time - she is unbelievably well motivated, I'm in awe of her!
    Staying on plan feels normal to me now - I rarely suffer from temptation, and I'm perfectly ok with eating a measured portion of cake or whatever and just leaving it at that now. Whereas before I could've eaten my way through a family sized bar of chocolate and still gone looking for more. I just wouldn't do that now, wouldn't want to and wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it. I don't attach guilt to food now either, which is lovely. I enjoy my food so much more now. I'd say I turned that corner after 3 or 4 months on plan.
    Simple things help keep you on track - when you buy a packet of biscuits divide them up into portions in food bags and write the syn value on the outside. Don't sit down with a pack of biscuits if you think you'll be tempted to eat too many!
    Try the HiFi light bars too, they are very satisfying IMO and individually wrapped so easier to stop at one.

Thank you so much dee_mac.it really has helped already taking to someone about it . Your so positive ! :) I was half thinking today ah here its not for me when this thread popped up on boards (i know if ever i was going to get an obv sign about something there it is! ) but ill go again Tues and try again if I need to! Delighted i joined this thread now :) I have a wardrobe full of clothes that have been calling me for years so hopefully this will make it happen. Won't lie I seriously struggle with not having a bowl of coco pops or krispies with the kids in the morn !

That is a fantastic tip about the sandwich bags too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

I haven't been on here in ages. I have lost my motivation and came back to read some posts and get some ideas. I wasn't at weigh in last week, but two weeks ago my total weight loss was 2 stone 4 and a half pounds since the start of June. Between the stressors of life, having a million assignments to hand in and just having a crappy couple of weeks I lost all motivation. Back on the wagon the last couple of days, hopefully, I won't be up to much this week at weigh in but if I am I am, I'll just put it behind me.

Have ordered some new things to try to change up my diet a bit and trying to get back into being organised again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I found it took a few weeks to get into the SW plan. I had done WW before and the SW plan is completely different and the first week I kept thinking I was doing it wrong and was giving out at home about parts of it as they didn't make sense as I couldn't get over all I could eat. First week I lost 7.5lbs and couldn't believe it. I really like the plan and love that I'm never hungry on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Welcome Glitzgirl, this is a great thread for chat & motivation. Best of luck for weigh in. I have been doing SP since Friday, going to plod on with it till Wednesday evening and see where that takes me when I weigh in on Thursday.

Praying I get my 6 stone certificate (been so long coming) and make a dent in the 6 lbs I have left to get to target...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Welcome Glitzgirl!
    As some else mentioned it does take a while to get familiar with the plan, but you will! Read, read and read your handbook, and carry it with you!

I agree with dee_mc, the 10kbs is a dress size didn't apply to me either, I've lost 2 stone 9 lbs and I've gone down 2 dress sizes, I've reached my target but lowered it again by 4lbs.
    If you don't have a 'big' loss don't be disheartened, my first and second weigh in I lost 1lb, but stuck with it the big loss came in the third week with 4.5lbs.
    I never had massive losses after that but I chipped away at it and now I'm 4 pounds away from my final target. Yay!
    The plan does work, but you need to have plenty of speed!

Vahevala wrote: »
    Welcome Glitzgirl, this is a great thread for chat & motivation. Best of luck for weigh in. I have been doing SP since Friday, going to plod on with it till Wednesday evening and see where that takes me when I weigh in on Thursday.

Praying I get my 6 stone certificate (been so long coming) and make a dent in the 6 lbs I have left to get to target...:)

Good luck with your weigh in on Wednesday Vahevala!

m'lady wrote: »
    Good luck with your weigh in on Wednesday Vahevala!

Thank you, weigh in is on Thursday but will keep you all posted :D

Hello !

Thanks to all for your warm welcome ! Woke up this morning like a woman on a mission going to make up my meal plan and get the leader to check it out see how I'm doing. I'm hoping it will take me a week or two to get used to the change but any weight loss at all will keep me motivated to keep me going! Wishing everyone good luck for their weigh ins this week ! :)

Vahevala wrote: »
    Thank you, weigh in is on Thursday but will keep you all posted :D

Sorry I thought it was Wednesday! Good luck anyway! I've my weigh in tonight and hoping to have lost at least 1lb but it's 'star' week so a bit nervous. I want to get to my last and final target!

Hello !

Thanks to all for your warm welcome ! Woke up this morning like a woman on a mission going to make up my meal plan and get the leader to check it out see how I'm doing. I'm hoping it will take me a week or two to get used to the change but any weight loss at all will keep me motivated to keep me going! Wishing everyone good luck for their weigh ins this week ! :)

The consultants usually say for you to leave your food diary in from the previous week on your weigh in day so bring that with you, they get back to you and let you know how your doing.

The consultants usually say for you to leave your food diary in from the previous week on your weigh in day so bring that with you, they get back to you and let you know how your doing.

I think I'm just jinxed or have really bad timing ! I joined last Tuesday and the consultant told me it was her last week she's heavily preg and this week mu second week she is introducing her replacement. :o feels like I'll never get to grips with something solid for the moment !

• Advertisement

I think I'm just jinxed or have really bad timing ! I joined last Tuesday and the consultant told me it was her last week she's heavily preg and this week mu second week she is introducing her replacement. :o feels like I'll never get to grips with something solid for the moment !

Don't be worrying about that, you can still concentrate on your journey. Still bring in the food diary and ask where to put it. If your really not happy with the class perhaps you could consider going to a different one? I tried 2 before settling on my 3rd one, the leader does make a difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,284 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not jsut the leader, but the group as a whole. If you can't feel comfortable, and don't feel like you get any support, then it's not worth it

As for the consultant being overweight, that doesn't bother me. They have to be current SW members and have lost a certain amount of weight before becoming consultants. If she's a little overweight, it probably means she's having the same issues as you, so I wouldn't see that as a bad thing

Don't be worrying about that, you can still concentrate on your journey. Still bring in the food diary and ask where to put it. If your really not happy with the class perhaps you could consider going to a different one? I tried 2 before settling on my 3rd one, the leader does make a difference..

I hadnt considered this ! Interesting point do ! I may give it a few weeks to see if I feel a click so to speak ! Do peopLe resist the urge to weigh themselves at home for a sneak peak every week ?!?

I never weigh myself, I stick to once a week, at the same time, on the same SW scales, that way I know it can be trusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,284 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I hadnt considered this ! Interesting point do ! I may give it a few weeks to see if I feel a click so to speak ! Do peopLe resist the urge to weigh themselves at home for a sneak peak every week ?!?

This is genuinely one of the worst things you can do. Body fluctuates so much that it's only over time that gives you a true reflection.

Even weekly isn't a great indicator. You have people here who'll lose 2lbs one week, then 2lbs the next, the a pound then maintain. rather than enjoy being 5 lbs down in 4 weeks, they'll focus on the one week that wasn't a loss.

Just do the right things and tbh, your weight won't matter at all. It'll come down, but you'll notice it more with clothes sizes and energy some weeks. All good though

Thanks for the advice dodge ! Dreading tomorrow ha but ill take this week as a learning curve and try again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've had a horrendous cold for days now and haven't been on plan all weekend, just not in the form. I'm doing a few SP days ahead of group on Wednesday as damage limitation, can't hurt anyway.

Hi all :( well had my first weigh in today, my first week over and I have gained 2.5 lbs. Slightly devestated bit not surprised weekend was a bit crazy had food out with the family when we went to see santa arrive and I pretty much made every mistake possible my first week !

But I'm not going to let me down. :) All you ladies have had such inspirational stories about weight loss so I went shopping after speaking to my group leader and am 100% determined to stick to it this week ! Hope everyone else had a better result this week ! :p

Hi all :( well had my first weigh in today, my first week over and I have gained 2.5 lbs. Slightly devestated bit not surprised weekend was a bit crazy had food out with the family when we went to see santa arrive and I pretty much made every mistake possible my first week !

But I'm not going to let me down. :) All you ladies have had such inspirational stories about weight loss so I went shopping after speaking to my group leader and am 100% determined to stick to it this week ! Hope everyone else had a better result this week ! :p

You'll learn from this week and have a great result next week!
    Enjoy it :)

• Advertisement

You'll learn from this week and have a great result next week!
    Enjoy it :)

Thanks dee_mc ! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement