Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

First weigh in tonight. I lost 2lbs. I was aiming for more.

Walked 20 to 40 mins every day, did a bokwa class for an hour.

Then i got the dreaded phonecall from my friend to go for drinks friday night and i just couldnt refuse so im happy now as i really thought after all the drink, i would have put on weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Down a pound and a half this week. One more pound and I'm at a stone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Haven't been on here in a while. I'm doing SW online and weigh-in on a Saturday morning but not sure if I should change the day perhaps. Last week I lost a pound (in all actuality 3.5lbs) and the week before that 2.5lb (actually 3.5lbs) I'm basically behaving like a complete douche nozzle.

I'm good during the week, doing Jillian Michaels 30-day shred and finding the plan easy. Then come Friday evening I sneakily weigh-in then or else first thing Saturday morning (whichever is lightest:o) and then I go MAD over the weekend. EVERY weekend. :confused: I know the advice will get to just stop but does anyone find this? Last weekend I had prosecco on Fri, Sat and Sunday night (although out of all alcohol I don't think it's the worst). But I ate chocolate and had pizza on Saturday, lots of cheese and general boldness on Sunday and just see the weekend as one long reward for being good :o Consequently, come Monday morning I'm 2/3lbs up and spend until Wed or Thursday losing it only for me to see a small loss at final weekend.

Any advice? It's like I'm turning a cheat meal into a cheat weekend EVERY TIME. My husband knows I want to lose a few pounds and is encouraging so it's not like anyone else is sabotaging it! Should I change my weigh-in day? I actually really enjoy doing it online as there is no way of me missing a weigh-in. I've been doing it eight weeks now and am 10.5lbs down which is great but I shouldn't be making it so hard on myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Merkin wrote: »
    Haven't been on here in a while. I'm doing SW online and weigh-in on a Saturday morning but not sure if I should change the day perhaps. Last week I lost a pound (in all actuality 3.5lbs) and the week before that 2.5lb (actually 3.5lbs) I'm basically behaving like a complete douche nozzle.

I'm good during the week, doing Jillian Michaels 30-day shred and finding the plan easy. Then come Friday evening I sneakily weigh-in then or else first thing Saturday morning (whichever is lightest:o) and then I go MAD over the weekend. EVERY weekend. :confused: I know the advice will get to just stop but does anyone find this? Last weekend I had prosecco on Fri, Sat and Sunday night (although out of all alcohol I don't think it's the worst). But I ate chocolate and had pizza on Saturday, lots of cheese and general boldness on Sunday and just see the weekend as one long reward for being good :o Consequently, come Monday morning I'm 2/3lbs up and spend until Wed or Thursday losing it only for me to see a small loss at final weekend.

Any advice? It's like I'm turning a cheat meal into a cheat weekend EVERY TIME. My husband knows I want to lose a few pounds and is encouraging so it's not like anyone else is sabotaging it! Should I change my weigh-in day? I actually really enjoy doing it online as there is no way of me missing a weigh-in. I've been doing it eight weeks now and am 10.5lbs down which is great but I shouldn't be making it so hard on myself!!!

Firstly Week 8 & you are 10.5lbs going that is great loss. I have been on and off sw since October and I finally got my Stone cert which I too was delighted with. I am probably not the best to provide advice!
    Ideally I would love Saturday to be my weight day; as you can possibly treat yourself on Saturday night if you wish but get back on the plan on sunday. You can still have your syn free fry up the following morning. Do you write down your food diary as it is really an eye opener when you do.
    I think you are doing great.. I want another 11.5lbs shifted before May BH so I must get myself in gear.

dove2011 wrote: »
    Firstly Week 8 & you are 10.5lbs going that is great loss. I have been on and off sw since October and I finally got my Stone cert which I too was delighted with. I am probably not the best to provide advice!
    Ideally I would love Saturday to be my weight day; as you can possibly treat yourself on Saturday night if you wish but get back on the plan on sunday. You can still have your syn free fry up the following morning. Do you write down your food diary as it is really an eye opener when you do.
    I think you are doing great.. I want another 11.5lbs shifted before May BH so I must get myself in gear.

Thanks for your lovely reply and encouragement. I'm actually happy with my loss but just annoyed with myself for making it tougher than it should be. You actually make an excellent point. I log in my food diary vigilantly during the week but come to think of it I simply don't bother at the weekend so maybe that is something I will try this weekend. If I'm holding myself fully accountable I might not be so free with the overindulgence! Thanks for that, seems obvious now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks for your lovely reply and encouragement. I'm actually happy with my loss but just annoyed with myself for making it tougher than it should be. You actually make an excellent point. I log in my food diary vigilantly during the week but come to think of it I simply don't bother at the weekend so maybe that is something I will try this weekend. If I'm holding myself fully accountable I might not be so free with the overindulgence! Thanks for that, seems obvious now! :)

Some people have great success with 'flexi synning', where you decide in advance to allocate yourself more syns for a particular day, to keep you on track. So what if you decided this Saturday to allow yourself 30 syns - your usual 15 plus an extra 15 (I think that's right anyway!) for half a bottle of prosecco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Any advice? It's like I'm turning a cheat meal into a cheat weekend EVERY TIME.

I think having your meals planned for the weekend might help. So if you know exactly what you are going to have for breakfast (especially breakfast, it'll get you on the right track for the day),lunch & dinner on the Saturday, it will help you keep on track on the Saturday. Another suggestion is if you drink you have to offset the damage with some extra exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I found the exact same thing by weighing on a Saturday, it was a licence to go mad. Wednesday is much better for me, as by the time the weekend rolls around I'm much more mindful that weigh-in is just around the corner!

Having said that, I've been absolutely shocking the past while, just not trying at all. Up 3lb in 2 weeks. Back to it today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I always loved my Monday weigh in because it made me more aware of what I ate over the weekend because I didn't have anytime to undo any damage. I'm weighing in on a Wednesday for a few months and I'm not going to lie, it's a lot harder. Up half a pound this week not deserved at all but I may just accept that I'm gaining muscle so won't see the loss on the scales.

Thanks a MILLION for the great ideas. I see now that I don't just go off plan at the weekend but I actually don't have a plan at all! Great idea on flexi synning the Prosecco and then planning all my meals. Now that I think of it, I plan all our meals for the week to a certain extent but the weekends can be pretty fluid. Thanks so much all, really appreciate the input. Will let you know how I go! xx

PS. If anyone is looking for a great workout DVD, I can't recommend Jillian Micahel's 30-Day shred enough. It's only 20 minutes of HIIT and it's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

2lb off today, hopefully that's me back on track. Had a really stressful day yesterday and the first thing I would usually do is reach for the chocolate, well I didn't! Woke up this morning feeling very smug and had myself a nice breakfast of berries and yogurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

2lb off today, hopefully that's me back on track. Had a really stressful day yesterday and the first thing I would usually do is reach for the chocolate, well I didn't! Woke up this morning feeling very smug and had myself a nice breakfast of berries and yogurt

I laughed at this as I was down 2 pounds yesterday. I was in Dublin yesterday after my weigh in and there's a pop up doghnut shop in the window of Arnotts. They looked amazing and I would've bought a few but I kept walking!! I felt like someone should've had a gold medal ready to give me!!

I thought about not posting but I've always tried to be honest on this thread so here we go: I'm up 3 pounds! So I'm outside of my target range for the first time. Very disappointed to be honest :(
    I went over on my syns a couple of days (a couple of sneaky chocolates and eating a yogurt that was fairly low on syns thinking it was syn free a couple of days) but I'd say the main reason for my gain is that my back is very sore and inflamed for the past week or so. Oh and to put the tin hat on it altogether I'm ovulating, which is always my fattest time of the month.
    Anyway, excuses or no excuses I'm back on track now, will be counting my syns more closely and hopefully will have lost the two pounds needed to get me back in target range in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Good to see so many people doing so well.

Ran into my consultant who claimed I'd gain weight and end up back with her in the new year.

Told me I'd now lost too much weight and I must have done it by starving myself and it would catch up on me and I'd run myself into the ground. I took great joy in telling her I'm just one pound under my original target she of course insisted I must wrong and that I should back to group to gain some weight.

The woman really wants me back!

I'm not actually underweight either I just have a very bony collar bone now that gives me a bit of a skinny look whereas my bum is very full.

Your consultant makes such a difference, this woman was so useless and not supportive at all. My mum and I were going to the same group together and she's now switched to a different place and is bowled over by the difference in quality! I think they need to be a bit more diligent when they're training these consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I laughed at this as I was down 2 pounds yesterday. I was in Dublin yesterday after my weigh in and there's a pop up doghnut shop in the window of Arnotts. They looked amazing and I would've bought a few but I kept walking!! I felt like someone should've had a gold medal ready to give me!!

I had one 2 weeks ago and it actually wasn't that nice, so don't worry, you really didn't miss much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

LOL - I get a bag of freshly made mini doughnuts for my mum every week (market in the park) and always have one - 2.5 syns well spent! :p

Good on ya! I think you should have got a gold medal too, don't think I could have avoided that kind of temptation yesterday at all. Look at us all smug, glad to know I'm not the only one that does it x

ameliams wrote:
    Ran into my consultant who claimed I'd gain weight and end up back with her in the new year.

Yeah she just sounds nasty, I remember your previous posts and thinking that was a horrible thing to say to anybody. So glad you managed to run into her and show her how much better you're doing without her. Congratulations on reaching your target, I think you should be feeling smug today along with a few more of us x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Greenduck wrote: »
    After sticking to it all week I only lost a half a pound. So gutted :( It was my 1st week back properly so was expecting at least 2...I'm a sad ducky today!:(:(:(

3lbs down this week :) must have caught up on myself :) woohoo :)

:):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Up 2.5 this week.

My own fault, I ate badly almost every day.

Been super strict since before weigh in on Wednesday so hopefully I'll have it off next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Finally have all most lost my Christmas/January weight. I put on 6lb and it wouldn't budge, one more pound to go that I'm back in the 11S

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaygirl2

Sorry haven't posted in a while. Just want to say if anyone out there is following and considering whether or not to join do it ASAP. I weighed in last night my third week and have lost a stone already. Best thing I've ever done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chaz donegal

I'm considering joining our local SW class on Tuesday evening just not sure I've always done weight watchers lost a stone left group put the stone and more back on been doing this for last few years rejoining over and over . Need to loose 4 stone 😩

I'm considering joining our local SW class on Tuesday evening just not sure I've always done weight watchers lost a stone left group put the stone and more back on been doing this for last few years rejoining over and over . Need to loose 4 stone 😩

Give it a go Chaz, you'll have to forget some of the WW stuff and put your faith in the plan but it really does work.
    After a week or two it might be worth signing up for a 6 or 12 week countdown - it means you pay for 6 or 12 weeks in advance, which is cheaper but can also be a great motivator to keep going because you've already paid for it!
    Good luck with it and enjoy it :)

Up 2.5lb this week which is just bloat. I've been good this week and seemed to be making great strides but I'm ovulating at the moment and you'd swear someone had taken a bicycle pump to my tummy! So I'll try and be as good as possible this weekend and will hopefully see a nice loss next week. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaygirl2

Do it you won't regret it wish I'd done it sooner. No counting points it's great. Won't lie I have days that I get down about it all but the buzz I get when I'm down at my class makes it all worth while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I normally go to the Thursday night class but couldn't this week as I ended up working late so I'm going to the noon class today and I've had such a bad week so I'm expecting a gain. Despite having developed vertigo from fluid in my ear and feeling like everything is spinning like when you've had too much to drink but without the alcohol I still managed to connect food with my mouth. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Was up 0.5 pound this week. Weighed in Thursday still like a bitch over it and have eaten all round me since so this week is going to be awful if I don't seriously cop on. I'm going to gym twice a week with trainer and walking 5k 2/3 times a week aswell as eating properly so as I said like a bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Up half a pound but I got weighed at the noon class where as I normally go to a 7.30pm class so I've to be very strict since it's a 5 day week this week and in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Hi all,
    I'm a 27 year old male and I've started SW earlier this month. In three weeks I've lost just under 8 pounds. Most of that was in the first week so I'm averaging about 2lb a week now, which I've been told, is the optimum loss to ensure body fat AND water fat is lost in the long-term and not gained back in a few weeks due to 'sweating it out'. This is in combination with walking (in no way intensive) 20km a week, usually spread out evenly over 7 days. I know it's early days and I've a long way to go for my 88lb loss goal but I'm very confident that it can be done. I'm not depriving myself of anything and any exercise done is a result of energy gained from SW.

Anyway, this is my before-and-after lifestyle.
    THEN:
    I spent hours in-front of the TV, worked at a desk every day with inconsistent shifts, drove anywhere I needed to be even if it was 5 minutes down the road, and ate my favourite foods in large portions. The occasional take-away when I couldn't face cooking. I've never really has a sweet tooth so I've been lucky there.
    NOW:
    I've added 20-60 minutes of walking to my day (usually under 30) and replaced some ingredients in my foods with healthier versions, all SW approved/measured. There's also a daily salad but adding bacon makes it tolerable :). Other than that my routine hasn't changed. I'm still at a desk job (love it by the way) and try to go for a couple minutes walk during lunch (at best 3 days a week but 0 is not uncommon), and spend four-five hours lounging about watching TV, playing games, or just doing nothing.

I know it's early days for me yet and I have had some slip-ups: Subway as a last resort dinner, and preferring to stay in bed than get that early-morning walk. But that said I don't feel bad about it because I know it's working. My girlfriend (also on SW with near identical initial and target weight) and I are even planning on going to our favourite restaurant after we've both lost 1 or 2st.

So to sum up my experience so far, it's awesome! I can still have my favourite foods, and the occasional treat. When I say treat I don't just mean that 6syn Curly Wurly, I mean my Subway (no corners cut), fancy meal, or even pizza. The only difference now is I'm being sensible about it. I mean, it stops being a treat when it's a daily thing right? I hope this is of some help to anybody considering Slimming World.

P.S. With the fact I'm still within the first month I will come back and edit this post if the 'occasional treat' eventually goes against me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement