Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Good luck LP!

My biggest tip would be, don't rely too much on some of the rubbish they peddle - don't make mugshots or hi-fi bars a daily thing, instead make something you really enjoy a occasional treat.

It's great that you have a support! I also recommend making a list of goals and rewards. Like for example, my first goal was to get out of the obese categroy. I did and rewarded myself with wireless earphones for the gym. My next is to get into the 11's, then I'm going for a massage :) (So close!). Then when I get into the 10's, I'm going on holiday to Switzerland, then finally when I get out of the overweight category I'm going to take up ballet because I really want to but don't want to with the state of my thighs currently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

gubbie wrote:
    My biggest tip would be, don't rely too much on some of the rubbish they peddle - don't make mugshots or hi-fi bars a daily thing, instead make something you really enjoy a occasional treat.

Exactly! I have mugshots in the cupboard for those days when I somehow don't have anything prepped and its either I reach for one of those or a crisp sandwich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Down 2 llb this week so that's 2 stone 2 lb since January 4th, nearly at my goal which is 14 1/2 stone, had to buy new jeans yesterday.... Now that's a good feeling !
    Was also at a 40th birthday party on Friday night lots of shocked faces on folks who haven't seen me in six weeks lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I'm thinking of joining Slimming World. My local one meets every Thursday evening. My hours at work change week to week, and I'm wondering if I have to work while it's on, would I be able to go another nearby consultant to get weighed on a different day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

babynice wrote: »
    I'm thinking of joining Slimming World. My local one meets every Thursday evening. My hours at work change week to week, and I'm wondering if I have to work while it's on, would I be able to go another nearby consultant to get weighed on a different day?

Yes you can weigh in at other classes no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Had a flexi weekend. God only knows how many Syns I've had since yesterday afternoon but I don't care. I've felt disheartened at my last few weigh ins so I just felt like a bit of a blow out and then get my head back in the game tomorrow. Went and got fitted for a new bra today expecting to be down a lot of sizes and I went from a 40e to a 40d. I'm in shock I definitely thought it would be more of a change! Trust me the measuring tape must be wrong because my boobs have disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaygirl2

gubbie wrote: »
    Good luck LP!

It's great that you have a support! I also recommend making a list of goals and rewards. Like for example, my first goal was to get out of the obese categroy. I did and rewarded myself with wireless earphones for the gym. My next is to get into the 11's, then I'm going for a massage :) (So close!). Then when I get into the 10's, I'm going on holiday to Switzerland, then finally when I get out of the overweight category I'm going to take up ballet because I really want to but don't want to with the state of my thighs currently!

Hiya I usually have 1-2 hi fi bars per day as my healthy B. Is this a bad thing? Only in my 4th week so still learning. Don't like those mug shots at all ðŸ˜႒ Like ur idea of the goals and rewards list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hiya I usually have 1-2 hi fi bars per day as my healthy B. Is this a bad thing? Only in my 4th week so still learning. Don't like those mug shots at all ðŸ˜႒ Like ur idea of the goals and rewards list.

I have 2 as my healthy B most days and it's fine.

I do too, and they act as my treat with my cuppa too so i can cut down on syns by having these as my HEB.

Thanks ladies that's great. Phew.
    I love the Chocolate one. Def saves me a few syns too although some days I'd have a freddo or curly wurly too. Chocoholic :)

• Advertisement

No, I don't think they're bad, and they're definitely better than eating two chocolate bars every day! I personally just think that the over reliance in the sugar in them is what leads to big pits, so that for example when you "finish" slimming world, or have an off day, your body is so used to having two sweet bars a day that it craves two sweet bars, be it a twix and a packet of crisps of a 100g bar of chocolate!

I suppose I kinda look at is as 2 bars is 150 calories and 3 tsps of sugar vs 80 calories and 2 tsps of sugar in a freddo. Though I always end up using my healthy B for my porridge.

They're also pricey :(

Although if it works for you, then keep at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This week I've been kinder to myself, tried to eat more regularly and relax on the calorie counting while making better choices. Result: -1.5lb :)

Edit: Not SW but I have nowhere else to post this!

Just weighed in. Down 2lbs, which happily got me my 1 stone award! Very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 completely confused

First weigh in today and I'm up half a pound! I don't understand it at all. I did have a couple of drinks and a pizza on the weekend, but other then that have been good and have jogged 3 times this week? Really disappointed as I found this first week really tough and could have used some motivation.

Please say it gets easier!?

Did you follow the plan though?were you having your 1/3 speed with every meal? Did you count hour syns everyday? Did you measure your healthy extras ?
    It can take a few weeks to get your head around the plan so don't worry yet. I highly advise you to do A food diary. Write everything down, literally every bit of food and drink that you have everyday. That will help to see you where you might be going wrong.
    Have you any queries about the plan itself?

Maybe post a daily sample of what you are having so we could help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

First weigh in today and I'm up half a pound! I don't understand it at all. I did have a couple of drinks and a pizza on the weekend, but other then that have been good and have jogged 3 times this week? Really disappointed as I found this first week really tough and could have used some motivation.

Please say it gets easier!?

It does get easier! But if you fully understood and followed the plan this week a gain is very unlikely, unless you have very little weight to lose? Having said that, some people who have changed from a woejus diet to SW find that their body takes a few weeks to adjust to eating well - in which case you'd need to persevere in order to see the result in another week or two.
    So, troubleshooting - Count up the syns of the pizza and the few drinks, it's good to be aware of what it adds up to. Then see if you answer 'no' to any of these questions and you might just have your answer to what went wrong:
    Did you follow the plan 100% other than that?
    Did you have 1/3 speed fruit and or veg with every meal?
    Did you eat until you weren't hungry anymore, every time you were hungry?
    Did you drink plenty of water?
    Did you do a food diary and fill it in properly and honestly?
    Did you weigh/measure your healthy extras?
    Did you use 5-15 syns a day and double check syn values?
    Did you weigh in around the same time last week as this week?
    And a final one, if you're female, are you ovulating or on your period? Either of these can cause mental fluctuation in some women's weight!
    Oh wait, this really is the final one: why was it tough? What exactly did you find hard?
    Hope we can help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Down 1.5lb this week. I'll take that after my bold weekend!

I was down a half. Felt I deserved more but ill take a loss no matter how small.

I was down 2 this week, bringing me back within target range, just. Felt I should have been down another one or two to be honest, as I was 100% on plan all week, but I've been sick all week too so I'm happy! Hope to be down another 1 or 2 next week but as long as I'm the weight I am now or 5 pounds lighter I'm within target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Had a maintain this week, little miffed but sure it happens, still on plan that's all that matters

Down 1.5lbs last night. Bit disappointed as it's my lowest loss in the 4 weeks I've joined. Did more exercise this week too. Lost 4.5lbs last week and done no exercise as my back was killing me. Hopefully my hard work will show next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Down 1.5lbs last night. Bit disappointed as it's my lowest loss in the 4 weeks I've joined. Did more exercise this week too. Lost 4.5lbs last week and done no exercise as my back was killing me. Hopefully my hard work will show next week.

Taking up exercise makes you retain water weight and hold onto body fat for the first week or so and increase muscle mass weighs much more than fat.

Also remember a realistic healthly sustanable weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, so your weight loss of 1.5 is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Didn't weigh in this week. Have my first cold in about two years (i don't really get sick since I quit smoking) and it's a rotten one, can't breathe properly so walking to and from class wasn't an option. took a holiday and this week, rather than follow mostly SP days, I'm doing EE because it's either that or comfort eat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Does anyone else find this weird

I have a take out most weeks, and still on average loose between. 1/2 - 1lb a week, except for over Christmas where I put on 1/2 a stone, but that's gone now.

Does anyone else find this weird

I have a take out most weeks, and still on average loose between. 1/2 - 1lb a week, except for over Christmas where I put on 1/2 a stone, but that's gone now.

Don't question it!!!
    That never worked for me, I always had to be at least 95% on plan to get a loss (except for a few times I had a total total blowout and had a fluke of a loss but that was when I was still 2-5 stone overweight) but like you, there are people in my group who go off plan one night a week and come in with a loss anyway! It's a great bonus!

If you are in a calorie deficit overall you will lose weight. The odd takeaway will only affect weight loss if it pushes your weekly calories up too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dolbert wrote: »
    If you are in a calorie deficit overall you will lose weight. The odd takeaway will only affect weight loss if it pushes your weekly calories up too much.

Is a calorie deficit when you burn more than you eat, or you eat less the. You should ?

Is a calorie deficit when you burn more than you eat, or you eat less the. You should ?

Yes. Slimming World works on the basis that their "free" foods are relatively low in calories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

How many Syns in ordinary 7up? Can't find it on sw app or online. Was at a function yesterday and they had no diet drinks. Only had one can and made it last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement