Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm joining my local slimming world class this evening. Have done ww on and off for last few years and always give up because I feel hungry. I'm nervous and excited about my new weight loss journey have around 4 stone to loose x

You certainly wont be hungry with Slimming World :)

Best of luck and just shout if you have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I'm joining my local slimming world class this evening. Have done ww on and off for last few years and always give up because I feel hungry. I'm nervous and excited about my new weight loss journey have around 4 stone to loose x

Honestly I was physically sick the day I went to my first slimming world class. I never was as nervous about anything. I got my 4.5 stone award 2 weeks ago and went on two 5k runs yesterday. I am the best version of myself because of slimming world. Good Luck, don't worry it will take you a few weeks to get in on the run of it. We are always here for help. Don't worry about the end of your journey and your target just yet, I'm still 2.5 stone from mine but I honestly believe I will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I had cake for breakfast and still managed a 4.5 loss.

Delighted, and very surprised. my clothes felt looser so I was hoping for 1-2lbs. :D

New stone bracket too. I'm lighter than I've been since I was 18-20 (I'm nearly 27). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm going to start next Tuesday. My Mam has been on it since last November and she's down a stone 8lbs. I've 2 stone to lose. She makes it look so easy. I'm vegetarian which might make it slightly more difficult but still. Devastated to find out they have recently increased the wine syn count! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

HI Guys ,

Myself and my Fiance just signed up online hoping to loose a bit before dress shopping for the wedding and all that.

Were not going to be able to make any group near us due to manic work schedules and that so just wondering.

1) How many Syns are allowed per day on Extra Easy and

2) what are the different plans and the main differences between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

A female is allowed between 5 and 15 syns per day and a male is between 5 and 20.

As far as I know Slimming World only follow the Extra Easy plan now so as long as you stick to that then you are 'on plan' so to speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

HI Guys ,

Myself and my Fiance just signed up online hoping to loose a bit before dress shopping for the wedding and all that.

Were not going to be able to make any group near us due to manic work schedules and that so just wondering.

1) How many Syns are allowed per day on Extra Easy and

2) what are the different plans and the main differences between them.

The two plans now are Extra Easy and Extra Easy SP.
    The SP plan is a low carb, high protein one. You still get the same amount of syns on SP but the range of 'free foods' is much more limited. Most people only use SP from time to time when they need to boost their weight loss. It doesn't work for everyone but for some, it results in huge losses.
    Main differences in, say, a dinner? On EE your plate should consist of 2/3 free foods (any combination of lean meat, fish, potatoes, pasta, rice, other free grains, plus free veg/fruit) and 1/3 speed foods (speed fruit and veg eg brocolli, carrots, peppers, tomatoes etc). On EE SP your plate should consist of 1/2 P foods (high protein foods) and 1/2 speed fruit/veg.
    On SP you get 2 Healthy Extra B choices (bread, cereal etc) instead of one, to make sure you get enough fibre.
    Good luck to you both!

dee_mc wrote: »
    The two plans now are Extra Easy and Extra Easy SP.
    The SP plan is a low carb, high protein one. You still get the same amount of syns on SP but the range of 'free foods' is much more limited. Most people only use SP from time to time when they need to boost their weight loss. It doesn't work for everyone but for some, it results in huge losses.
    Main differences in, say, a dinner? On EE your plate should consist of 2/3 free foods (any combination of lean meat, fish, potatoes, pasta, rice, other free grains, plus free veg/fruit) and 1/3 speed foods (speed fruit and veg eg brocolli, carrots, peppers, tomatoes etc). On EE SP your plate should consist of 1/2 P foods (high protein foods) and 1/2 speed fruit/veg.
    On SP you get 2 Healthy Extra B choices (bread, cereal etc) instead of one, to make sure you get enough fibre.
    Good luck to you both!

Thanks for that :)

We've bin kinda living off the Iceland meals, soup ,fruit ,eggs n stuff for breakfast this week until we get a run at reading the stuff at the weekend.

Hopefully we get some results this week clocking about 5 miles a day walking home from work every evening too.

Thanks for that :)

We've bin kinda living off the Iceland meals, soup ,fruit ,eggs n stuff for breakfast this week until we get a run at reading the stuff at the weekend.

Hopefully we get some results this week clocking about 5 miles a day walking home from work every evening too.

All sounds good. If you want to pop up a couple of days sample meal plans, exactly what ye have both been eating and drinking over the past days, the Slimming Worlders on this thread are usually great to give a few pointers on what ye could improve etc. One of the advantages of attending a group is that you get to submit 4 weeks food diaries to your consultant so that he or she can make sure you're following the plan properly - this thread provides a good alternative to that when ye are following the plan online.
    The walking is fantastic for general fitness but won't necessarily boost your weight loss from week to week (exercise can actually slow down your weight loss slightly, but in reality is much better in the longterm - slow and steady wins the race and all that, and toning is so important).

Cool thanks' will do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Some men (larger...) can have 25 syns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

I know you are just getting used to the plan but once you do, you are better off keeping as far away from any processed food as you can on slimming world - I would include the slimming world iceland range in that! if you start equating anything packaged with syns then you catch on quicker to the plan overall. The aim is to cook as much yourself as you can :) also have a look at "two chubby cubs" blog - FAB recipes!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know you are just getting used to the plan but once you do, you are better off keeping as far away from any processed food as you can on slimming world - I would include the slimming world iceland range in that! if you start equating anything packaged with syns then you catch on quicker to the plan overall. The aim is to cook as much yourself as you can :) also have a look at "two chubby cubs" blog - FAB recipes!!!!

Have you actually tried any of the meals? I wouldn't normally be into ready meals at all but have had them a few times and they're not bad. They're not packed full of crap like your average processed crappy meal. It's the same ingredients as making it yourself which is why they're all free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Having a great week. Stuffed every morning with my overnight oats, huge speedy lunch and dinners, smart syn usage....ended up on a mini celebration this evening after work and even had McDonalds :( Chicken nuggets and chips...I don't even know why!! Arghhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Having a great week. Stuffed every morning with my overnight oats, huge speedy lunch and dinners, smart syn usage....ended up on a mini celebration this evening after work and even had McDonalds :( Chicken nuggets and chips...I don't even know why!! Arghhhh.

The nuggets are only 1.5 syn each - a bargain I think lol!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Down 4 and half in the last 3 weeks. Delighted. At the moment im now 4 and half from target eek!!

My wedding is just over 4 months away now so im really getting stuck in. Just maintaning it might be hard but im doing lots of gym classes and weights too to help me tone and get leaner.

Have to say i wasn't overly sold at the start and wasn't really happy with doing the ready meals every evening this week due to having no time between work and college to cook, But the results were good.

I'm down 3 1/2 this week and my Fiance is down 5 , really happy with that :)

We didn't go too extreme either , used on average 12 sysns a day each and did about an hour a day walking , just home from work nothing too strenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Down 2 1/2 this week and close to going below my maintain weight, this is due to more activity I'm now cycling 3 times a week training for a 190 km cycle...looks likes needs new target ,42 lb gone since January !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

tk123 wrote: »
    Have you actually tried any of the meals? I wouldn't normally be into ready meals at all but have had them a few times and they're not bad. They're not packed full of crap like your average processed crappy meal. It's the same ingredients as making it yourself which is why they're all free.

I will be honest no I haven't, I am sure in a tight squeeze they are a better option then eating crap though. I just think one of the successes for me in the past on slimming world was the attitude change I had with food. By cooking and eating as much homemade and unprocessed as I can, I started looking at it as fuel for my body and how it is naturally - not how it has been presented to me by the food industry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

tk123 wrote: »
    The nuggets are only 1.5 syn each - a bargain I think lol!! :p

OK not so bad of a blow out so!

I actually weighed in yesterday and I'm down 3lb so I guess how we'll see how it appears on the scales next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaygirl2

Hi just wondering if there is a coeliac alternative to the hi-fi bars? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys for the replies only getting to look at them now. Was amazed to lose 7 pounds in my 1St week! Had a bit of a wobble yesterday started milling into my sons multipack of hula hoops 😢bad for both sw and trying to be gluten free. Back on track now though dying to try these overnight oats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi just wondering if there is a coeliac alternative to the hi-fi bars? Thanks.
    I'd love to know this as my consultant gave us a yummy recipe for a hi-fi muller light and a chopped banana 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 pinkdiamond2

Has anyone tried the super speed soup? Do you find it helps with losses?

Has anyone tried the super speed soup? Do you find it helps with losses?

I'm not a soup lover but my mam uses the speed soup and she loves it. She always lost weight any week she used it - her typical loss would be half a pound a week but she would lose more, maybe 1.5 to 3 pounds, any week she was having the speed soup for lunch each day. Having said that, she wouldn't usually eat lunch at all, so it could easily be the fact that she was eating that bit more that was giving her the better weight loss!
    Other people in my group have great success with it too. Some of them add curry powder and use it with chicken and rice as a curry sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I eat speed soup a LOT, like twice a day (one as a meal, one with a meal) and I mostly lose 2-4lbs a week if I'm eating it.

Lads, question. Any of you that have gone on holiday, what kind of gain do you get? I'm walking 10km a day on holiday at the moment (yes, I've calculated it!), but I don't think it's gonna make a dent because I'm eating a big fry for breakfast, a dinner in a restaurant, and 8+ drinks a day (beer, wine and cocktails). :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 pinkdiamond2

Thanks for the info :) I'm going to try eating it every day this week for a loss. Last year when I went on hols I only gained 2.5 pounds, I was eating whatever I liked and drank whatever I liked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lovely lady

Hi, just wondering has anyone made the SW free ice cream (the one with Muller Lights and fromage frais)? Tried to make it over the weekend and was stirring it every 30 mins like it said but still wasn't really solidifying. Had to leave it overnight as I had to go to bed lol and it was like a block of ice by the morning :-( Then took it out to thaw and it took ages, then tasted like eating flavoured ice! Has anyone else tried it? What am I doing wrong? I wanted to make it and leave in the freezer like normal ice cream - can you do this or do you have to eat straight away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Hi, just wondering has anyone made the SW free ice cream (the one with Muller Lights and fromage frais)? Tried to make it over the weekend and was stirring it every 30 mins like it said but still wasn't really solidifying. Had to leave it overnight as I had to go to bed lol and it was like a block of ice by the morning :-( Then took it out to thaw and it took ages, then tasted like eating flavoured ice! Has anyone else tried it? What am I doing wrong? I wanted to make it and leave in the freezer like normal ice cream - can you do this or do you have to eat straight away?

I've done it but only in an ice cream maker, cheap one out of lidl, and it really satisfied my craving, needs to be eaten when you make it though, not nice when it's been frozen a while. I freeze frubes too, 1.5 syns, few mins out of the freezer, squish them up and can almost fool myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Can the SW ready meals be bought in Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement