Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dee_mc wrote: »
    Re the lower syns if you're under 10 stone thing, now that I think of it the consultant who said it wasn't particularly good or knowledgeable :D I was a visiting member at her group and heard her saying to a new member 'as your starting weight is under 10 stone you'll have to stick to 5 to 10 syns per day'. I queried it with her and she maintained that once you hit 10 stone or under, you had to reduce syns. Thinking about it, it makes zero sense and as I say, she was the worst consultant I've ever come across so I apologise for quoting her without checking my facts!

Just curious, I'm assuming sins are like high calorie junk food kinda??
    Would it not make sense then that if you are 10st or lighter that you would need to reduce your calorie intake to maintain a deficit. Therefore reducing sins would make sense the lighter you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Just curious, I'm assuming sins are like high calorie junk food kinda??
    Would it not make sense then that if you are 10st or lighter that you would need to reduce your calorie intake to maintain a deficit. Therefore reducing sins would make sense the lighter you get?

Some people don't need to reduce syns to maintain. It depends on your target really - a few people in my group are using an extra A or B choice in order to maintain their target weight. Others are sticking to a syn limit they decided themselves to keep themselves in target.
    Syns don't have to be junk food as such - I use syns for almond butter (I need a bit of fat in my diet or my skin gets very dry), a lady in my group regularly uses 7 syns for avocado as a treat! Generally if it's higher in sugar or fat, it's counted as syns.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Some people don't need to reduce syns to maintain. It depends on your target really - a few people in my group are using an extra A or B choice in order to maintain their target weight. Others are sticking to a syn limit they decided themselves to keep themselves in target.
    Syns don't have to be junk food as such - I use syns for almond butter (I need a bit of fat in my diet or my skin gets very dry), a lady in my group regularly uses 7 syns for avocado as a treat! Generally if it's higher in sugar or fat, it's counted as syns.

Why is something as healthy as an avacado classed as a sin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Why is something as healthy as an avacado classed as a sin?

Avoocados are very high in fat. If it wasn't listed as a syn many would use it freely and it could have an effect on their weight loss.

Avoocados are very high in fat. If it wasn't listed as a syn many would use it freely and it could have an effect on their weight loss.

Yea but it's good fat that the body needs. Obviously used sensibly. It shouldn't be classed as the same fat you'd get in a bag of chips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

How many sun's in avocado

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Yea but it's good fat that the body needs. Obviously used sensibly. It shouldn't be classed as the same fat you'd get in a bag of chips.

Remember this is targeted at people who they assume have no prior knowledge of how to lose weight.

The only way to lose weight is through a calorie deficit. If you consume 2 avocados in a week extra to your regular diet (say as a snack) and you haven't had a calorie deficit you will not lose weight. It's as simple as that.

Healthy foods can also make you fat.

The idea is learning portion control and by labelling fattening foods as a 'syn' you learn to keep within that.

I don't follow slimming world yet but have a good strong basis for a healthy diet and can see the reasoning behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's not.

But basically SW advocates an "eat as much as you like" policy with their "free" foods. So because they have the "eat as much as you like" policy, the foods that are synned contain things that, although healthy (avocado, nuts, coconut oil, butter etc), are high in calories. They contain healthy fats, but because they're high in calories, they don't "fit" the ethos of eating as much as you like, so can't be part of their "free" food group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

Holy crap lads I have fallen off the wagon and hit every pot hole in the road ha! I am having a very very stressful time this week (end of college, moving house, family arguments... to name but a few) and I cannot for the life of me stick to plan. I have given myself until Friday to act the maggot and then I am dusting myself off and getting back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to be clear on this, they aren't classified the same. Each 'non free' food has a syn value. Some have low syns, others quiet high.

Everyone is allowed a certain amount of syns and they're encouraged to use them. For example everybody could eat an avocado each day and still be 100% on plan. That's the 'used sensibly' bit you mention

They could not eat a bag of chips each day and be 100% on plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Starting Slimming world on Friday after two babies in 12 months and two stone to loose...So expect me in here wrecking your heads for advice...😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Starting Slimming world on Friday after two babies in 12 months and two stone to loose...So expect me in here wrecking your heads for advice...😀

Best of Luck! I'm sure once you get your head around it all you'll fly it! And lots of the meals are family friendly and can be prepared in bulk for freezing!

My mam has lost 6stone on the plan so I have a rough idea how it works..but I just need the meetings for focus and inspiration for meals etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

How important do you think the classes are for success on SW?

I've been doing SW for a good few months now and I'm thinking about giving up the classes and just doing it at home. I have a multitude of reasons but the main thing is that I can't find a time that really suits me so I never stay for class; just weigh and go home. I commute so there isn't a time during the week that suits me and when it does come to the weekend I'm so protective of the little free time I have that sitting in class is the last thing I want to do. Changing jobs isn't an option at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Down 2lbs this week after missing class last week due to an impromptu trip to Belgium. Where I drank so much beer, ate so much waffles and chocolate and to top it off had huge fried breakfasts every morning! I know I put in a great week the week before so the damage wouldn't be too bad but still I'm delighted. The scales wobbled on 13 stone 13.5 pounds and 14 stone and I was eeking with excitement of being under 14 stone for the first time in the last 10+ years but it settled on the 14 stone but hey it's something to aim for next week!

ergonomics wrote: »

I've been doing SW for a good few months now and I'm thinking about giving up the classes and just doing it at home. I have a multitude of reasons but the main thing is that I can't find a time that really suits me so I never stay for class; just weigh and go home. I commute so there isn't a time during the week that suits me and when it does come to the weekend I'm so protective of the little free time I have that sitting in class is the last thing I want to do. Changing jobs isn't an option at the moment.

Jaysus don't change jobs for something like this!!

The neccessity for classes is purely personal. My wife helps out on the "social club" and tells me about 80 people weigh for our class. About 20 stay for the meeting. So loads must be happy to do it without the meeting.

I find them helpful but if you're happy enough doing it without them, don't worry about it. The only issue about doing it at home is will you be as disciplined as weighing once a week at the same time, or will you cheat because no one will know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

ergonomics wrote: »

I've been mostly weighing and going lately because of outside committments and my losses haven't slowed.

However, I know full well if I didn't go and weigh in around other people, i wouldn't hold myself accountable so I'd eat crap and not weigh myself!

I go purely to be held accountable. Also my consultant is very active on Facebook and helps a lot if you need to text or Facebook her, which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

Hi all, had my week 7 weigh in on wed and down 1lb, total of 13.5 so far. Hoping for my 1 stone next week. Does anyone have days where they feel bloated and just not hungry?? So far today I have had a cup of coffee and a satsuma, and this is not like me, I'm usually eating large portions. I have a head cold and sinusitis so maybe that is why and also nearly TOTM. Have spaghetti bol cooking so will try to have some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snookercues

Had my first week weigh in last night, and lost 8 lbs! Thrilled altogether :) Completely aware that I wont loose even close to that next week or any other week, but I am keeping my head down and hopefully loose maybe 1 - 2 a week going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Just joined on Wednesday, hoping to lose 2 stone or a little more.

Does anyone have a good chicken curry recipe? Thinking seeing as chicken, tinned tomatoes and spices are free might be easy enough to do a nice curry for a low syn value.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My method is usually to fry some chopped onion & garlic using fry light, add your chicken breasts, a good tablespoon or 2 of curry powder to taste, a tin of tomatoes and a chicken stock pot. Let it simmer for about 20 mins, cook your rice and add some fat free natural yoghurt towards the end for creaminess. All syn free!

Started today too had the kheema curry for dinner was delish!! Have my overnight oats in fridge for breakfast.

I'm such a sweet eater how do you satisfy the craving without being too bold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Started today too had the kheema curry for dinner was delish!! Have my overnight oats in fridge for breakfast.

I'm such a sweet eater how do you satisfy the craving without being too bold?

Fruit!
    You can use sweeteners too, and vanilla extract is a handy addition to give a sweeter kick to fat free natural yogurt etc.

Can't stop eating takeouts recently.

All I want to do is loose 10 more pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 taper jean girl

I don't even know what i'm replying to but everyone in Slimming World who loves beer need to go and get the new Heineken Light! I think they're 3.5 syns for a normal sized bottle and are 3% just.. my god! It's like a dream come true!

I don't even know what i'm replying to but everyone in Slimming World who loves beer need to go and get the new Heineken Light! I think they're 3.5 syns for a normal sized bottle and are 3% just.. my god! It's like a dream come true!

I'd keep all my syns just for beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Can't stop eating takeouts recently.

All I want to do is loose 10 more pounds.

We're in a similar boat! I have to shift a final 8lb to get to my revised target and it's been a struggle. Work has been mental so take aways and Frozen SW meals have been the norm. We were on holidays recently and I ended up losing weight (Japan is great if you want to lose weight! lols) and I put it all back on the following week :o must step up this week.

toadfly wrote: »
    Just joined on Wednesday, hoping to lose 2 stone or a little more.

Does anyone have a good chicken curry recipe? Thinking seeing as chicken, tinned tomatoes and spices are free might be easy enough to do a nice curry for a low syn value.

TIA

Mine;

In frylight, cook a large onion, a pepper, loads of mushrooms (all chopped of course) with a bit of salt and pepper. As they're browning add a tin of tomatoes, some garam masala and curry powder

coat chicken in turmeric (lightly). When the curry is starting to bubble, add in the chicken with some salt and pepper. Should take no longer than 20 minutes depending on how thick you like your sauce.

It's completely syn free and packed full of speed. You can add whatever veg you like for more. My wife adds carrots sometimes but I'm not mad about that.

You'll find your own taste by experimenting with spices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

getting a bit sick of eating beef/chicken with mushroom/oyster sauce when getting a chinese takeaway. I don't like black bean sauce

anyone have any idea how many syns in Kung po or black pepper sauce? I'm not having any luck finding it online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Anyone know if there are discount vouchers available. Joined slimming world twice before and each time I was the only one who paid full. Want to join again this week and was hoping for a discount this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement