Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Kittymama wrote: »
    Thank you, I think that is worth it, it goes realky well with strawberries at this time of year.

Aldi do a 500g pot of fat free yoghurt that free in Strawberry, Vanilla & one other on I can't think of right now.
    It's really nice & creamy ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Down 2.5, 6.5 total :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Trying to talk myself into joining tomorrow. How been threatening for several weeks, but haven't yet made it. I need a root up the bum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kittymama

dee_mc wrote: »
    Have you tried Liberte 0% fat Greek? It's yummy and free, very creamy. I have weird tastebuds though so I find all other Greek yogurts too salty!

I must get some of that. I love greek yogurt.
    I got a small tub of glenisk 0% strained greek yogurt in vanilla. It was very nice. I think its 1\2 syn. But I'll get the liberte one if that's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

If anyone is thinking of joining online, the code REVEAL2016 will save you the joining fee. Valid until tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Kittymama wrote:
    I must get some of that. I love greek yogurt. I got a small tub of glenisk 0% strained greek yogurt in vanilla. It was very nice. I think its 1\2 syn. But I'll get the liberte one if that's free.

It's on offer in Dunnes and Tesco right now, 2 instead of 3 euro for 500g. I buy a stock of it whenever it's on offer, which thankfully is often! There's a gorgeous vanilla version too, which is also on offer; it has syns, I think 7 per pot, but it's worth it - v nice alternative to custard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I haven't posted in a while. I went away on a cruise plus a stay in Venice the last week of April and early May and did the dog more so on cocktails than food came back and weighed myself on a Tuesday and was up 8.5 - 10lbs depending on where I placed the scales around the bathroom. :rolleyes:

I got straight back on plan and by Thursday night's class I had it down to 6.5lb gain and had 5.5lbs gone the following week and have been down since. I even managed to get slimmer of the month for May something I never expected being a woman in my 50's and generally a slow loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Just joined Slimming World and am struggling.. First two days and I went way over my 15 Syns. I found it so difficult to stay in my limits but I'm hoping that's just because it was the weekend.

Any tips at all to keep me on track? Also, any Syn free snacks you could recommend?! (Apart from fruit of course) Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Just joined Slimming World and am struggling.. First two days and I went way over my 15 Syns. I found it so difficult to stay in my limits but I'm hoping that's just because it was the weekend.

Any tips at all to keep me on track? Also, any Syn free snacks you could recommend?! (Apart from fruit of course) Thanks :)

If you're struggling, eat more free food! If you're full, you won't snack too much. What have you been eating (including syns)?

Syn free snacks - most Muller lights are free if you like yogurt, chicken pieces, make up batches of soups, make extra (smaller) portions of dinner for seconds, etc.

If you use your syns in a smart way, they go a long way. For example, did you know you could have a Curly Wurly and two packs of Hula Hoop Pufts every day and still have 3 syns left over?

What foods have taken you over your 15 syns, and maybe we could suggest good alternatives?
    Have your 3 main meals of the day stayed within the SW guidelines, i.e. eat til you're full, 1/3 speed foods, no or very low syns?
    If you're hungry between meals look to the meals themselves first and make sure they are good and filling - make sure you're getting enough carbs at mealtimes. In terms of snacks, try eating some free foods as well as speed fruit and veg to fill you up. Packets of ham and fat free Greek yogurt (Liberte) keep me out of trouble.
    Making a plan and a shopping list is so important too - have you planned your meals for the week or at least for the first few days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Meant to report in here: last Thursday was my first weigh in since joining and I neither gained nor lost any weight.
    Bit miffed, to be honest. It's hard going without bread- I tried switching to the Pat The Baker Slimbo yokes as a healthy substitute but even those are ladden with syns.
    Still, I'm trying my best. Found out there's only 4 Syns in a standard Twister ice lolly, so happy days!
    I also walked 4.3 km on Sunday afternoon. Took me an hour to get to Morton Stadium from my granny's gaff AND I was dragging a heavy shopping trolley with me along the way. Even so, I feel I accomplished something.
    Set myself the goal of losing at least 2lbs by my next weigh in on Thursday so wish me luck!

Mcchubbin, if you post up a day's food and drink (including syns, healthy extras, free, speed, everything!), we may be able to help.

What foods have taken you over your 15 syns, and maybe we could suggest good alternatives?
    Have your 3 main meals of the day stayed within the SW guidelines, i.e. eat til you're full, 1/3 speed foods, no or very low syns?
    If you're hungry between meals look to the meals themselves first and make sure they are good and filling - make sure you're getting enough carbs at mealtimes. In terms of snacks, try eating some free foods as well as speed fruit and veg to fill you up. Packets of ham and fat free Greek yogurt (Liberte) keep me out of trouble.
    Making a plan and a shopping list is so important too - have you planned your meals for the week or at least for the first few days?

Alot of what seems to take me over my 15 Syns is snacking on things like chocolate. I find I'm really hungry in between meals and become bored of fruit after a while :(

I did better today though, only 12 Syns, but I'm starving again and not sure what to snack on. I guess I need to prep more, snack wise? I'm really missing bread too!

Alot of what seems to take me over my 15 Syns is snacking on things like chocolate. I find I'm really hungry in between meals and become bored of fruit after a while :(

I did better today though, only 12 Syns, but I'm starving again and not sure what to snack on. I guess I need to prep more, snack wise? I'm really missing bread too!

If you're always hungry between meals, you're not eating enough! I believe people who say you should never be hungry on sw are wrong, because I'm regularly hungry, but certainly not that frequently!

You can make things like egg muffins to keep in the fridge to snack on, and chicken drumsticks (skin off), extra portions of dinner, soups, crustless quiche, etc. you obviously need something more substantial than a piece of fruit, and all of what I've listed is filling.

For chocolate, find the things that last the longest and are low in syns. 6 syns for a curly wurly, which will last ages, as opposed to 5 syns for a freddo which is gone in two bites! Options hot chocolate with 10 mini marshmallows thrown in is 2.5 syns and will cure sugar/chocolate cravings. At your next group, look at the bars! They do hifi bars. Two for healthy B or 3 syns each. chocolate orange tastes like terrys chocolate orange, and the Rocky road is lovely too.

If you're struggling with bread and chocolate, use your bread for healthy B. If you want more bread, two slices of Brennan's be good wholemeal is 5.5 syns.

So two extra slices of bread, plus 2 chocolate hifi bars (6 syns) plus an Options hot chocolate with 10 mini marshmallows (2.5) all works out at 14 syns and should easily cure cravings for chocolate and bread.

One thing that worked for me was to have 4 or 5 scheduled meals a day. 4 or 5 smaller, balanced meals rather than 3 meals plus a few snacks of fruit, which just wasn't filling enough on its own. So for breakfast I'd have had All Bran (healthy B) and low fat milk (healthy A) with a banana (free), berries (speed) and an apple or two (speed). Then 2.5 or 3 hours later I'd have a smallish salad of cous cous (free) with spices (free) and grated carrots (speed) and peppers (speed) dressed lemon juice or Worcester sauce etc. Then for lunch I might have some cooked pasta or noodles (free) cold with some ham or salmon (free) and speed veg, and some free yogrt and speed fruit (usually apples or melon). Dinner would be lean meat or fish with lots of speed veg and some SW chips or pasta and homemade tomato sauce. Then before bed I'd have more free yogurt, sometimes with fruit, sometimes not, followed by some chocolate - no syns used during the day, so if I wanted 15 syns worth of chocolate, so be it.
    Make sure you're drinking water - it really is the case that we can misinterpret thirst as hunger, particularly during warmer periods like what we're currently experiencing.
    Can you put up what you're eating, meal by meal, so that we can help you trouble-shoot and come up with some workable solutions?
    Also have a good think about why you're doing this - have you set short term goals for yourself? Dropping a jeans size, seeing collar bone, losing 7 pounds, fitting into a particular piece of clothing - you need to decide what you're working towards before you can motivate yourself to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

So I suffer with bouts of depression and right now kind of slowly coming out of am unexpected dip.. this is due to a lot of changes within my life, a lot of self discovery and working on myself a lot. I have am issue with food in that I seek comfort, company and a whole other lot of emotions that I experience through food. One of the reasons why I joined sw is because there is an element of freedom and I am sick and tired of weighing everything and counting everything. However there are bigger fish to fry at the moment and healthy eating is definitely taking the back hand. I get overwhelmed thinking about the changed I need to make in order to lose weight so I'm looking on advice or ways that I can make small regular changes that can impact Mt overall health as well as weight loss. I am working through a lot at the moment so sorry for the long post! :)

Makapakka wrote: »
    So I suffer with bouts of depression and right now kind of slowly coming out of am unexpected dip.. this is due to a lot of changes within my life, a lot of self discovery and working on myself a lot. I have am issue with food in that I seek comfort, company and a whole other lot of emotions that I experience through food. One of the reasons why I joined sw is because there is an element of freedom and I am sick and tired of weighing everything and counting everything. However there are bigger fish to fry at the moment and healthy eating is definitely taking the back hand. I get overwhelmed thinking about the changed I need to make in order to lose weight so I'm looking on advice or ways that I can make small regular changes that can impact Mt overall health as well as weight loss. I am working through a lot at the moment so sorry for the long post! :)

Welcome!
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. You're dead right to take the approach of small, regular changes towards a longterm goal - if you're feeling fragile in general, I can see how a big change all in one go could be a massive upheaval.
    What do you think would be a good place to start - maybe a week or a month of incorporating one third speed foods into every meal? Or start with a basic like having three balanced meals each day, if that's not something you normally do?
    For some members, getting into the habit of keeping an accurate, honest food diary is a big help. No guilt for the times when you're not 100% on plan, more so a written record of what works for you on the good days and where you fall down on the bad days, so that you can see patterns if they exist and tackle them one by one.
    I used to be a desperate comfort eater and emotional eater so in that respect, I feel your pain. I hope it helps you to know that I've overcome that, to the point that now I just occasionally find myself slipping into the habit of 'boredom eating' but now have the awareness to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem again!
    Changing the way you think about food is a big thing. My number one tip is, don't reward yourself with food. The idea of rewarding yourself for losing x amount of weight by having a big meal off plan or going on a session just doesn't sit right with me for an emotional or pattern eater. I went down the road of rewarding myself with a nice new piece of clothing or a small bit of jewelry or a massage etc when I reached my own milestones, and that went a long way to changing my mindset.
    Take it at your own pace and you will see great results. Some SW members lose their weight really quickly while others take 'the scenic route' - I was somewhere in between, the key is finding what works for you.
    I hope that helps some bit and I wish you lots of luck with it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Feeling that distinctive "Urgh, need to binge" mentality leading up to my second weigh in tomorrow. I ate a breakfast roll today, skipped lunch and then had pasta and chicken with a sauce made from Erin Condensed soup that I later I found out had a high Syn count. So sick of these poxy Syns. I wanted pasta in white wine sauce so I had it and stuck two fingers up to the diet.
    Part of me suspects hormones have a hand in this blow-out day and I feel lousy. Lacking in motivation to take the dog out in a bid to offset my lapse so I can only hope my hiccup is not overtly detrimental. Still, tomorrow is another day to try and get back on track so I'm going try and double up my efforts.
    Just feeling a bit crap, really. And after I was so good on Sunday walking 4.3km and feeling really accomplished...
    Will report back tomorrow after my weigh in and hope for the best...

If you're always hungry between meals, you're not eating enough! I believe people who say you should never be hungry on sw are wrong, because I'm regularly hungry, but certainly not that frequently!

You can make things like egg muffins to keep in the fridge to snack on, and chicken drumsticks (skin off), extra portions of dinner, soups, crustless quiche, etc. you obviously need something more substantial than a piece of fruit, and all of what I've listed is filling.

For chocolate, find the things that last the longest and are low in syns. 6 syns for a curly wurly, which will last ages, as opposed to 5 syns for a freddo which is gone in two bites! Options hot chocolate with 10 mini marshmallows thrown in is 2.5 syns and will cure sugar/chocolate cravings. At your next group, look at the bars! They do hifi bars. Two for healthy B or 3 syns each. chocolate orange tastes like terrys chocolate orange, and the Rocky road is lovely too.

If you're struggling with bread and chocolate, use your bread for healthy B. If you want more bread, two slices of Brennan's be good wholemeal is 5.5 syns.

So two extra slices of bread, plus 2 chocolate hifi bars (6 syns) plus an Options hot chocolate with 10 mini marshmallows (2.5) all works out at 14 syns and should easily cure cravings for chocolate and bread.

This is really helpful, thanks. :)

One thing that worked for me was to have 4 or 5 scheduled meals a day. 4 or 5 smaller, balanced meals rather than 3 meals plus a few snacks of fruit, which just wasn't filling enough on its own. So for breakfast I'd have had All Bran (healthy B) and low fat milk (healthy A) with a banana (free), berries (speed) and an apple or two (speed). Then 2.5 or 3 hours later I'd have a smallish salad of cous cous (free) with spices (free) and grated carrots (speed) and peppers (speed) dressed lemon juice or Worcester sauce etc. Then for lunch I might have some cooked pasta or noodles (free) cold with some ham or salmon (free) and speed veg, and some free yogrt and speed fruit (usually apples or melon). Dinner would be lean meat or fish with lots of speed veg and some SW chips or pasta and homemade tomato sauce. Then before bed I'd have more free yogurt, sometimes with fruit, sometimes not, followed by some chocolate - no syns used during the day, so if I wanted 15 syns worth of chocolate, so be it.
    Make sure you're drinking water - it really is the case that we can misinterpret thirst as hunger, particularly during warmer periods like what we're currently experiencing.
    Can you put up what you're eating, meal by meal, so that we can help you trouble-shoot and come up with some workable solutions?
    Also have a good think about why you're doing this - have you set short term goals for yourself? Dropping a jeans size, seeing collar bone, losing 7 pounds, fitting into a particular piece of clothing - you need to decide what you're working towards before you can motivate yourself to get there!

Thanks for that. :)

Ok, here's my meals:

Breakfast
    Scrambled eggs on toast (Healthy B)
    Coffee with milk (2, 3 cups a day with milk, using my healthy A)

Lunch
    3 Ryvitas with tuna, mayo and Tomato (Was still starving after this)

Dinner
    Chicken Tikka Masala (SW recipe) or I might have chicken veg and potato.

Then I try to have fruit too.

But in between these meals I'm starving, particularly after lunch because I usually always have bread for lunch and am stumped for what to make that will fill me, because I'm not big on salads either. So I end up eating chocolate and then having more after dinner too and cursing myself. Is there anything I can do better here?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. :)

Ok, here's my meals:

Breakfast
    Scrambled eggs on toast (Healthy B)
    Coffee with milk (2, 3 cups a day with milk, using my healthy A)

Lunch
    3 Ryvitas with tuna, mayo and Tomato (Was still starving after this)

Dinner
    Chicken Tikka Masala (SW recipe) or I might have chicken veg and potato.

Then I try to have fruit too.

But in between these meals I'm starving, particularly after lunch because I usually always have bread for lunch and am stumped for what to make that will fill me, because I'm not big on salads either. So I end up eating chocolate and then having more after dinner too and cursing myself. Is there anything I can do better here?

Dude, it's no wonder you're starving between meals!
    You need to add speed fruit and or veg at every meal - not just for vitamins, but to add bulk to your diet to keep you full. Chop a tomato or two into your scrambled eggs, fry off some mushrooms in Frylight, and there's you're one third speed at breakfast.
    Are you using all of your healthy A choice in your coffee? Dairy is filling (as well as being important for calcium etc) - make sure you use your allowance!
    The Ryvita at lunch could be seen as a waste of syns - you could have some cold pasta or rice or noodles as part of a big filling salad with your tuna and tomatoes. Are you using the lightest possible version of mayonnaise, and synning it? You could go syn-free by making a dressing from Quark, fat free fromage frais, or fat free Greek yogurt mixed with lemon juice or herbs, or stretch your mayo by mixing it with any of these. Crustless quiches are fantastic and filling, lots of protein, there's hundreds of syn-free recipes online.
    I know it's difficult this weather but could you try a hearty, syn-free soup for lunch, or a portion of last night's dinner that you could reheat?
    Are you having enough veg with your dinner, and eating a good, big dinner?
    I think you need to make a plan and a shopping list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

This is what I ate yesterday, which I would consider an OK day.

Breakfast
    1 Apple chopped, 1/4 galia Melon chopped
    2 hard boiled eggs
    2 cups of black tea

Mid morning
    1 orange, 1/2 Apple, 1/4 melon, few fresh pineapple pieces, 2 tablespoons of fromage frais
    Camomile tea

Lunch
    Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers
    4 slices of turkey, 1 35g slice of Edam (HE)
    1 tablespoon of quark mixed with a level tablespoon of sweet chilli (2syns)
    1/4 melon and a tablespoon of fromage frais

Afternoon
    2 HiFi Bars (HE)
    2 cups of black tea

Dinner
    Omelette with peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, peas, 25g goats cheese (4.5 syns)
    Air fried chips
    Sauce made of fromage frais, smoked paprika, pickles, pickle juice, tomato paste

After dinner
    Fage yoghurt with honey (4 syns)
    HiFi bar (3 syns)
    Water throughout the day

I probably ate too much fruit and didn't eat all of my syns but I wasn't hungry at any stage. You can always syn the bread at lunch time if you want it. I often syn bread, just depends on what I'm in the mood for. Especially if you feel that it fills you for longer. A cold pasta salad is a good shout in this sort of weather too. I had one the other day and it was nice and cold at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 joleen100

Hi Guys, Avid reader of this thread but never post. I did not prepare my lunch for work today and looking for best low syn options when I have to go out and get something in shop?? Any advice welcome (I'm starving already :))

Thanks J

Down 1.5lb tonight, happy enough considering I had about 35 syns on Saturday :o

My go to emergency shop lunches are a microwaveable sachet of rice/beans with some sort of a salad bowl and a rake of cold meat or a slice of HE cheese. If I've no chance of microwaving I'll just get all of the salad options in a deli in a take away tray with some chicken or ham. Not very exciting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Up 4lbs tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

can anyone recommend a god kitchen scales please. The one I have is useless for small amounts

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a god kitchen scales please. The one I have is useless for small amounts

I use a digital one from Lidl/Aldi, would never go back to a manual one!

Would having a cheat night totally derail my weight loss plan? Say if I stuck to my daily Syns rigidly and then had a dominoes on a Saturday? I'm struggling a bit and would love to have something like that to look forward to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Would having a cheat night totally derail my weight loss plan? Say if I stuck to my daily Syns rigidly and then had a dominoes on a Saturday? I'm struggling a bit and would love to have something like that to look forward to!

It's up to yourself. it's your body. Eating a pizza (with gralic bread. wedges etc) won't help you lose weight for that week.

However if you enjoy yourself on Saturday, start back on the good food on Sunday and keep going at it for another few weeks, the overall harm is neglible.

Ask yourself "why do I want to lose weight"? If you look at it as a long term thing that will lead to you having a more healthy lifestyle which will allow you to enjoy yourself more, then go for it. Loads of skinny people have a take away every now and then :D

Just don't eat pizza on Saturday and expect to see a good result when you weigh on (eg) Monday

• Advertisement

Smash pizza is a great replacement imo. I actually prefer it now to regular pizza :o I keep my HE allowance for cheese and add another 4.5 syns worth on top. Some nice spicy homemade wedges too and a homemade syn free garlicky dip. I know smash used this way is considered a tweak, up to you. I love it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement