Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

Haven't posted in a while so here's my update. After 13 weeks on slimming world I've lost 22 and a half pounds. This might be slow to some people but it is what works for me. I have never felt deprived on the plan and it fits in with my busy everyday living (I have 4 kids so always on the road). My initial goal was to lose 27lbs so not far away, I think I may adjust my target after that. For the person asking about cheat days, I have a treat night once a month which is usually a Chinese. I don't see this as a cheat but rather a treat and it does help me to keep on track, it's also within my syn allowance. I'm really good all week and normally stay between 4-10 syns. Another favourite of mine is sw burgers from Iceland (syn free), sw chips and salad. Feels like a real treat and on plan. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Smash pizza is a great replacement imo. I actually prefer it now to regular pizza :o I keep my HE allowance for cheese and add another 4.5 syns worth on top. Some nice spicy homemade wedges too and a homemade syn free garlicky dip. I know smash used this way is considered a tweak, up to you. I love it though.

Is this the Smash in the pack you're talking about or is there a Smash pizza made up already? Excuse my ignorance :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I'm all for a cheat every now and then but it can't be too often especially not a dominos. You're looking at between 8 to 12.5 Syns per slice of medium pizza. I was a dominos fiend. Well used to getting a huge pizza every weekend and the odd week night. Now I have it limited to maybe 2 per year and I've always been up weight after it. Try getting the fakeaway book or looking up some of the fakeaway recipes and trying those instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wellyd wrote: »
    I'm all for a cheat every now and then but it can't be too often especially not a dominos. You're looking at between 8 to 12.5 Syns per slice of medium pizza. I was a dominos fiend. Well used to getting a huge pizza every weekend and the odd week night. Now I have it limited to maybe 2 per year and I've always been up weight after it. Try getting the fakeaway book or looking up some of the fakeaway recipes and trying those instead.

I'd agree. If you're struggling then you need to look at why you're struggling rather than have a blow out. If you want a takeaway there are healthier options too that won't blow your syns out of the water too like Dominos will. I've always had takeaway every week usually Chinese or Thai within my syns. I have pizza every now and again - I'm a target member so allowed a treat here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Is this the Smash in the pack you're talking about or is there a Smash pizza made up already? Excuse my ignorance :o

Sorry for the huge delay. I actually made and ate a smash pizza and forgot to take a pic :o I make the base myself out of the smash. Its really easy to do.

To make one pizza I mix up 90g of smash with 1tsp of mixed herbs, garlic salt and salt. I then add in about 200ml of boiling water and mix completely. I spread the smash mixture out on a greaseproof paper lined tray using a rolling pin. I spray frylight on the greaseproof first though. I bake the first side for 15 mins at 200 degrees C, then remove from the oven and carefully flip over. I cook the next side for another 15 for a thin, crispy base. My OH prefers her base to be cooked the second time for 5 minutes to be a bit softer. After the second cooking time I take the bases out and cover in tomato sauce and whatever toppings and bake for another 10 or so minutes. Delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks Jentle grenade, that's going to be my dinner tomorrow!!

I've been very quiet on this lately as have been so busy with things, I'm still in my target but thinking of changing it by maybe 3/4lbs, but I'm going to give myself a few more weeks as unsure if I have to, I'm being told by everyone that I really don't but I don't know!

In regards to cheats/treats, I think we all need one every so often but the one piece of advice is give is to make sure you get back on track after, and not to allow it to turn into a cheat week!

I love making a 'pizza' with the bagel slims, and they are so filling too.
    Also I get vegetables in black bean sauce (extra spicy!!) with boiled rice, the whole thing is 7.5 syns and is usually only eat half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Missed last week's class..so was kinda waivering with food for the whole week...weighed in yesterday and had 3 1/2 pound off..so in total ive 1stone off in 6 weeks..I'm just delighted with myself.I had aimed to have it off for my son's christening which is tomorrow...I'm half way to my final target.. but I'll have that off before I go back to work...well I hope 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Sorry for the huge delay. I actually made and ate a smash pizza and forgot to take a pic :o I make the base myself out of the smash. Its really easy to do.

To make one pizza I mix up 90g of smash with 1tsp of mixed herbs, garlic salt and salt. I then add in about 200ml of boiling water and mix completely. I spread the smash mixture out on a greaseproof paper lined tray using a rolling pin. I spray frylight on the greaseproof first though. I bake the first side for 15 mins at 200 degrees C, then remove from the oven and carefully flip over. I cook the next side for another 15 for a thin, crispy base. My OH prefers her base to be cooked the second time for 5 minutes to be a bit softer. After the second cooking time I take the bases out and cover in tomato sauce and whatever toppings and bake for another 10 or so minutes. Delicious!

Thanks for this :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Up by half a pound this week which is not bad considering how crappy I felt.
    That being said, I've been very good this weekend- eating tons of broccoli and sweet potato and drinking loads of water with lime wedges to keep hydrated. I decided to try one of the recipes on the website for dinner on Friday- the SW Chicken Tikka Masala.
    Was not expecting it to be so delicious. I'm normally not a huge curry fan but that with some wholegrain rice was very filling.
    I also had a ton of the sauce left over so I froze it in a ziplock bag for a later dinner.
    Feeling optimistic that I lost weight in the last few days. Had a few hunger pangs on Saturday but I drowned them with fizzy water and that seemed to help.
    Question: Is sparkling Deep River Rock okay to consume daily or should I be cautious? I've heard that tonic water-even the Slimline type- is full of sugar so I'm avoiding it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

McChubbin wrote: »
    Up by half a pound this week which is not bad considering how crappy I felt.
    That being said, I've been very good this weekend- eating tons of broccoli and sweet potato and drinking loads of water with lime wedges to keep hydrated. I decided to try one of the recipes on the website for dinner on Friday- the SW Chicken Tikka Masala.
    Was not expecting it to be so delicious. I'm normally not a huge curry fan but that with some wholegrain rice was very filling.
    I also had a ton of the sauce left over so I froze it in a ziplock bag for a later dinner.
    Feeling optimistic that I lost weight in the last few days. Had a few hunger pangs on Saturday but I drowned them with fizzy water and that seemed to help.
    Question: Is sparkling Deep River Rock okay to consume daily or should I be cautious? I've heard that tonic water-even the Slimline type- is full of sugar so I'm avoiding it for now.

Slimline tonic water is entirely sugar free. Carbonated waters like sparkling, slimline tonic water, soda water etc are perfectly fine to drink as much as you like, but you might experience a bit of bloating (broccoli contributes to bloating too by the way!) so if you're feeling bloated try cutting down and see if it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Stay23

Hi All, just looking for some advice. Am a target member and have gone a tiny bit out of my 3lb range so I have my weeks grace this week, Im not sure if I can get to class this week due to work and was wondering if I must be weighed this week or can I wait until next Thursday? Have heard I can wait until next week as I am a target member. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a mil :-)

Yeah you can miss a week or a couple of weeks if necessary, as long as you weigh in once in two months. If you were outside target range again next time you weighed in, you would then be back to paying until such a time as you're back in target range.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Hi guys,
    Id really love your help! I have been an on and very off member for the last 2 to 3 years.
    I mostly follow the plan but with slips here and there. For example, I never go over the 2 slices of
    wholemeal be good bread unless Im in work and then I have 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch. Therefore,
    I don't eat any potatoes or anything on these days- not a good idea I know!!

So this is where I need your help. I normally get up every morning have a banana sandwich with my 2 slices,
    a bowl of mixed fruit and 3 grilled rashers no fat. Then at lunch in work Id have a thing of pineapples and another
    banana sandwich purely because Im starving and theres no storage facilities yet or microwave. Any suggestions please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hi guys,
    Id really love your help! I have been an on and very off member for the last 2 to 3 years.
    I mostly follow the plan but with slips here and there. For example, I never go over the 2 slices of
    wholemeal be good bread unless Im in work and then I have 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch. Therefore,

So this is where I need your help. I normally get up every morning have a banana sandwich with my 2 slices,
    a bowl of mixed fruit and 3 grilled rashers no fat. Then at lunch in work Id have a thing of pineapples and another
    banana sandwich purely because Im starving and theres no storage facilities yet or microwave. Any suggestions please?

Just syn the extra slices of bread?

Lunch bag with an ice pack dropped in? I'm not always in an office with fridge facilities etc so I have one of those generic lunch bag things and I drop in an ice pack before I leave home to keep things cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Hi guys,

Could you get a thermos bag? I got one in Tesco a few years ago. It has a lunch box and a place for that and then an insulated bag bit. It keeps food quite acceptable. I'd often bring in a salad or something and leave it in that bag until lunch time and it's fine. I'd usually put some lettuce, tomatoes, gherkins, pasta, egg, spring onion and peppers into it. If I have tinned tuna I'd put that in also or instead of egg. (I don't like ham but it would be ideal in this as well) Sometimes I'd have salad potatoes instead of the pasta. I usually use balsamic vinegar as my dressing. In that way you wouldn't be using a HeB at all.
    If that doesn't work for you could you look at your breakfast and eliminate the bread from that? OH does SW also and he always has an egg for his breakfast. If you're grilling rashers, scrambling, poaching, boiling an egg wouldn't take any longer? Or baked beans? I'd often have that type of breakfast at the weekend and I find it very filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Does anyone know how many syns are in the nomadic oat cluster strawberry yoghurts? I love these :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many syns are in the nomadic oat cluster strawberry yoghurts? I love these :(

eeekkkk! 9.5 for the strawberry and 10 for the chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Gained 1lb yesterday. Expected a higher gain, so I don't mind.

My dad, being brilliant again, lost 2lbs AND won man of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

I can't play with my child anymore - I can't clean my house - things need to change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

It's frightening - I am nearing 16 stone and only 5 foot - like a little Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

pinkstars wrote: »
    I can't play with my child anymore - I can't clean my house - things need to change!
    pinkstars wrote: »
    It's frightening - I am nearing 16 stone and only 5 foot - like a little Buddha

Take the first step and join SW. I did 6 weeks ago, and I'm down a stone. I can't believe it. I'm NEVER hungry and I'm trying out loads of new recipes.

Nobody in the class will judge because everyone is there for the same reason and there's great support.

Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a god kitchen scales please. The one I have is useless for small amounts
    For some reason, the Argos website is not working for me right now so apologies for the lack of a link but I recently bought a very stylish purple digital scales from them to replace the ancient and outdated old one taking up space in my cuboard.
    It was about €14 and is from the Colour Match range. Very easy to use and can be programmed to weigh fluid ounces, metric and imperial with a simple touch of a button.

Regarding my most recent weigh-in, I'm absolutely delighted to report that much to my shock and delight, I've dropped 5 and a half pounds this week!
    It was especially surprising considering I'd weighed myself on my mother's bathroom scales yesterday and it told me I'd only lost 2lbs. As a result, I was feeling a bit disheartened as I thought progress was being infuriatingly slow.

Welp, colour me stunned.

Not only did I lose 5 and a half pounds, I was awarded Slimmer of the Week at tonight's meeting and rewarded an exclusive recipe book only available to those who achieve this particular goal. Absolutely delighted with myself! :D

I also bought a gorgeous pair of Asics sneakers today as I was in dire need of sturdy walking shoes so I'm feeling doubly groovy. Once I break them in properly and they loosen up a little on the instep, I hope to commit to walking the 4.3km to my granny's gaff from Santry every Friday and Sunday afternoon respectively. Been avoiding it due to the fact that my cheap, crappy shoes keep wearing out at an astonishing rate but now I've no excuses!

Feeling very positive right now. The goal is to lose at least another 2lbs by next week.

EDIT: Found a link to the kitchen scales on the UK Argos site. Here is the one I use.

Gained 0.5lb! Swings and roundabouts I guess. I'm going to be super speedy this week and see if I can finally make my bloody target.

Can anyone verify SP for me please! I've done it before twice but apparently I was doing it wrong. My understanding is that you have to have half speed,half protein for your 3 main meals, 1 healthy a and 2 healthy b's. With my 2 healthy b options I used 2 slices of be good bread and one on the be free wraps. Today I was told that on SP you can't eat potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. But bread is a healthy b so I'm really confused!

Can anyone verify SP for me please! I've done it before twice but apparently I was doing it wrong. My understanding is that you have to have half speed,half protein for your 3 main meals, 1 healthy a and 2 healthy b's. With my 2 healthy b options I used 2 slices of be good bread and one on the be free wraps. Today I was told that on SP you can't eat potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. But bread is a healthy b so I'm really confused!

My understanding was that you could have any of the Healthy B options, but no free carbs (your pasta and rice etc) or other free foods at all. Sounds like you're doing it right!

dee_mc wrote: »
    My understanding was that you could have any of the Healthy B options, but no free carbs (your pasta and rice etc) or other free foods at all. Sounds like you're doing it right!

Thanks dee_mc! I was kind of doubting myself even though I knew I was right! Also on another note, any tips for motivation?! I'm off on holidays in 2 weeks and I've literally been off the wagon and can't stay motivated! Lucky to have maintained my last two weigh ins but really I deserved gains. You would think with them so close I would be eager to be down as much as possible but not me!

Thanks dee_mc! I was kind of doubting myself even though I knew I was right! Also on another note, any tips for motivation?! I'm off on holidays in 2 weeks and I've literally been off the wagon and can't stay motivated! Lucky to have maintained my last two weigh ins but really I deserved gains. You would think with them so close I would be eager to be down as much as possible but not me!

Re motivation, I'm lacking it myself and seriously thinking of the old 'unflattering photo by the fridge' trick to keep me on track :D
    I'm trying pretty hard but exceeding my syns by a small bit lots of days and can't get back to target range the past few weeks - v busy with work, dehydrated and struggling with the water, bloated when ovulating, hayfever... I'm a bag of laughs lately :D

That's exactly how I work it, I usually see a loss of about 2lb when I do it. Its hard to be organised for it though, I find. I only do it when I know I'm in a certain office for work all week, home at a certain time etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

sorry more of a rant really

I've lost 3 stone 11 to date and have gone from a size 18-20 to 12-14 in the big high street shops. I have a wedding coming up shortly so went into Born clothing in Naas to try some dresses under €100 instead of a fortune I would have normally have had to spend when heavier. I picked up 2 in size 16, knowing that they would be a small fit, to try on. one barely closed and the other I easily needed to go up 2 sizes. Absolutely ridiculous the sizing differences in clothes.

Being fed up of not being able to get clothes to fit and feeling like crap was one of the reasons I joined slimming world and my motivation to keep me going. I have 3lbs to go to my target and was thinking maybe go another 7 lbs. But after that Im thinking I need to lose another 2 stone. I was just so disappointed after looking forward to getting a nice dress as a reward for losing weight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement