Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sorry to hear you're upset and frustrated, Molly. If it's any consolation, I'm a size 10 in my everyday clothes but nearly always need a 12 in a fitted or waisted dress, and a 14 in anything you'd find in Born - and even at that, the styles usually look a bit 'off' on me!
    I know you were looking forward to being able to buy things without trying on, or to knowing a certain size would fit, but that's just not the case for anyone. I have clothes in every size between 6 and 16, and they all fit.
    Celebrate your transformation, you've done amazing work!
    Most of the high street places have sales on at the minute, and a lot of the independent boutiques around the country have too, with the advantage that most of them have an owner or assistant who can just squint at you and tell you what size you'll need in each individual dress, or whether it's likely to suit you at all!
    I hope you find something gorgeous and revel in your success x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

dee_mc wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're upset and frustrated, Molly. If it's any consolation, I'm a size 10 in my everyday clothes but nearly always need a 12 in a fitted or waisted dress, and a 14 in anything you'd find in Born - and even at that, the styles usually look a bit 'off' on me!
    I know you were looking forward to being able to buy things without trying on, or to knowing a certain size would fit, but that's just not the case for anyone. I have clothes in every size between 6 and 16, and they all fit.
    Celebrate your transformation, you've done amazing work!
    Most of the high street places have sales on at the minute, and a lot of the independent boutiques around the country have too, with the advantage that most of them have an owner or assistant who can just squint at you and tell you what size you'll need in each individual dress, or whether it's likely to suit you at all!
    I hope you find something gorgeous and revel in your success x

Thanks, I feel a bit better now.

Buying something from an independent boutique would be a nicer reward! The dresses in born weren't particularly nice it's just I thought I was finished with not being able to fit into anything in a shop and that horrible feeling.

Mollyd90 wrote:
    Buying something from an independent boutique would be a nicer reward! The dresses in born weren't particularly nice it's just I thought I was finished with not being able to fit into anything in a shop and that horrible feeling.

I get you, completely! I bought a dress in a little boutique a couple of months back, to wear to a wedding later in the summer, and I feel like a million dollars in it :D Bonus points for the fact that there's less chance of someone else having the same dress, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

Hi Guys,

I've decided to join Slimming group and my first meeting is tomorrow evening. I'm a bit anxious as I don't know what to expect and would kindly ask you if you could give me some details on first visit.

Do you have to introduce yourself in front of everybody? How much do you have to pay first time (is it 9, 18)? Do they accept only cash or cards also?

What material do you receive on your first visit, is it a manual, book of recipies?

Thank you kindly

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

natali1982 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've decided to join Slimming group and my first meeting is tomorrow evening. I'm a bit anxious as I don't know what to expect and would kindly ask you if you could give me some details on first visit.

Do you have to introduce yourself in front of everybody? How much do you have to pay first time (is it 9, 18)? Do they accept only cash or cards also?

What material do you receive on your first visit, is it a manual, book of recipies?

Thank you kindly

Hi :)
    First of all, well done!! Taking the first step is so so so important! Your bound to be nervous- everyone is!!

Normally when you walk into a slimming world class there is a new members area, normally a circle of seats to your right or left. This is where the whole plan will be explained to you and it does take a half an hour so try arrive at half 3, half 5 etc :) Next you'll meet your consultant and they will explain the plan to you. Then they will give you a form to fill out and you hand this back asap. You will then be given your pack. Normally this brings you up to the 4 pm mark etc so class is about to begin. You go and join the other members- doesnt matter where you sit! The class will begin and they will go around all of the members to discuss any losses or gains (most consultants dont read the gain out just the total amount that has been lost by the person).

During class normally recipes etc are discussed by members. You normally wont be spoken to as your new and have nothing to add to the class at present unless you've done the plan before or grasped it fast. Then when class is over a raffle will be done and someone will win a bag of free food. Everyone will leave and new members will be asked to come Q to pay and get weighed. Your consultant will weigh you and you will set a target- if your not sure its fine it can be changed. Yu can also tell your consultant if your not comfortable to speak during classes.

I hope this answers all your questions- good luck!! :)

EDIT-
    Sorry just read your Q's again! Its normally 9 for class, 9 to join so 18 in total. Check the
    slimming world FB page to make sure no magazines have free to join vouchers in them! :)
    You can buy a 6 week or 12 week countdown too which can help you keep motivated. Im nearly
    sure that all classes accept card and cash but bring cash just in case. You will be given your 'pack'
    which consists of your slimming world book which has everything you need to know and then other bits
    like body magic manuals, food diaries etc.

• Advertisement

Hi :)
    First of all, well done!! Taking the first step is so so so important! Your bound to be nervous- everyone is!!

Normally when you walk into a slimming world class there is a new members area, normally a circle of seats to your right or left. This is where the whole plan will be explained to you and it does take a half an hour so try arrive at half 3, half 5 etc :) Next you'll meet your consultant and they will explain the plan to you. Then they will give you a form to fill out and you hand this back asap. You will then be given your pack. Normally this brings you up to the 4 pm mark etc so class is about to begin. You go and join the other members- doesnt matter where you sit! The class will begin and they will go around all of the members to discuss any losses or gains (most consultants dont read the gain out just the total amount that has been lost by the person).

During class normally recipes etc are discussed by members. You normally wont be spoken to as your new and have nothing to add to the class at present unless you've done the plan before or grasped it fast. Then when class is over a raffle will be done and someone will win a bag of free food. Everyone will leave and new members will be asked to come Q to pay and get weighed. Your consultant will weigh you and you will set a target- if your not sure its fine it can be changed. Yu can also tell your consultant if your not comfortable to speak during classes.

I hope this answers all your questions- good luck!! :)

EDIT-
    Sorry just read your Q's again! Its normally 9 for class, 9 to join so 18 in total. Check the
    slimming world FB page to make sure no magazines have free to join vouchers in them! :)
    You can buy a 6 week or 12 week countdown too which can help you keep motivated. Im nearly
    sure that all classes accept card and cash but bring cash just in case. You will be given your 'pack'
    which consists of your slimming world book which has everything you need to know and then other bits
    like body magic manuals, food diaries etc.

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer. Have a nice evening

Welcome Natalie!
    All that IrishLoriii said above is good advice.
    Don't be nervous, remember that everyone in the room started at the same point that you're at now. You won't have to introduce yourself in front of everyone - when the consultant is going around the group chatting to everyone he or she might say something like 'Natalie, new member, welcome, how does it all sound so far, have you any questions?' etc, but equally they might say nothing to you, and the onus isn't on you to talk lots or at all!
    One other bit of advice: during the new members talk your head might be buzzing a bit, so you might not take it all in. Have a good read of your book in the car after group, make your shopping list to get you through the first few days, then head straight to the supermarket to buy what you need. Typical must-haves would be FryLight cooking oil spray, low fat or skim milk if you use milk, the appropriate bread or cereal (this will be talked through with you)... And during the first week, if you've any questions, don't be afraid to ring or text your consultant, post on your group's Facebook page (I think every group has a 'secret' or 'private' Fb page where only other members can see and answer your posts, totally confidential and separate than your friends list etc), or ask on this thread - everyone is happy to help! Don't be afraid to sit in on the new members talk again on your second or subsequent weeks, to make sure you know the plan inside out.
    Re paying with a card, it's not an option at my group or any of the groups I've visited, so bring cash or ring or text your consultant in advance to check!
    Best of luck, you've made a great decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is Woman magazine still out? I know there was a join free voucher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

How often do you have cheat meals?

Hi Guys

Would you know which stores stock Kraft Light Salad dressings please?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

too often :o

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭duedate

Good morning all, sorry for butting in on this thread. I'm currently pregnant with my first child, due late this year. Last year I lost almost 2 stone with slimming world in Galway. I would be hoping to return to SW after junior is born. I noticed on their website that the consultant who used to run my class (who I found really very good) in the Salthill hotel seems to no longer be running that class.
    Does anyone know if this lady (Majella) has ceased being a SW leader (I really hope not), or perhaps she's just on a break? Does anyone know?

duedate wrote: »
    Good morning all, sorry for butting in on this thread. I'm currently pregnant with my first child, due late this year. Last year I lost almost 2 stone with slimming world in Galway. I would be hoping to return to SW after junior is born. I noticed on their website that the consultant who used to run my class (who I found really very good) in the Salthill hotel seems to no longer be running that class.
    Does anyone know if this lady (Majella) has ceased being a SW leader (I really hope not), or perhaps she's just on a break? Does anyone know?

Check through the list of groups in your county. Her name will be there if she's a consultant:

http://www.slimmingworld.ie/joining-a-group/nearest-group.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

The idea of the programme is you don't really need cheat meals. For example, you can have pasta carbonara, and make it slimming world friendly. Same for pizza's, chips etc.

Thanks Dolbert, she seems to be gone :(

duedate wrote: »
    Thanks Dolbert, she seems to be gone :(

Is it possible she went on maternity leave? One of my local consultants had cover for a few months while she was off.

duedate wrote:
    Thanks Dolbert, she seems to be gone

Why don't you ring her?

I might wait & see and ring her in the new year when I'm ready to go back. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed between now and then though, you know how sometimes you just feel a leader really does understand? She was/is def one of the better consultants IMO.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Down 1lb which I'm thrilled with. Had a lady in group today who lost 8.5lb on a speed week! She said she ate 3 asparagus spears and a handful of kale which each meal and melon every evening along with following the general speed plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Only lost half a pound this week.
    Ehh, could be worse. To be fair, I was barely eating this week due to feeling utterly exhausted on account of thyroid problems and my iron levels possibly dipping. Won't know entirely what's up until next week when I get my bloodwork back.
    Feeling crappy lately but hopefully it'll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

I put ON weight during my first two weeks despite following the guidelines, more or less.

When I say more or less, I mean that I didn't measure my food, I estimated, but I stayed within my 15 Syns, maybe going slightly over twice or three times.

So why did I GAIN 1.5lbs? It was really disheartening. My consultant told me she felt it was probably down to not measuring properly, but considering I'd switched to sweeteners, exercised more, cut out alcohol and sugary foods and really tried my best, I was not expecting a gain. Haven't been back since because I am too disappointed.

I would say give it a couple of weeks of following it to the letter before deciding whether or not to continue.
    Are you very close to your target weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

dee_mc wrote: »
    I would say give it a couple of weeks of following it to the letter before deciding whether or not to continue.
    Are you very close to your target weight?

My target weight is to be down 1 stone, is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I found after losing most of my weight that 15 syns is too much for me :(
    To be honest if I want to lose in a week, I'd stick to 10 syns - that's why they say 5-15 syns, not a blanket 15.

It might take time to figure it out too, for your body; even though pasta and rice are free, I do better on a week with spuds and no rice/pasta. I don't eat bananas or mandarins as they don't work for me either!

Don't be disheartened, a small gain on plan is better than a big gain off it! Try keep the food diary- it's amazing the discipline it gives you :)

Yes. Just to bear in mind that losing that last stone or so is slower and often more up and down than losing a larger amount.
    Cutting back on syns (12 was my limit for a long time) and eating bigger, more filling meals worked for me. You need to give it more time and change things around until you find what works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I have had the week from hell. I would honestly skip weigh in tomorrow if I didn't need to book holidays. I am looking at a huge gain and deserve every bit of it. I don't want to go to weigh in and be up loads and put a huge dampener on my holidays. I just feel like getting sick at the thought of the scales. This is the closest I've ever came to not going to get weighed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Wellyd wrote: »
    I have had the week from hell. I would honestly skip weigh in tomorrow if I didn't need to book holidays. I am looking at a huge gain and deserve every bit of it. I don't want to go to weigh in and be up loads and put a huge dampener on my holidays. I just feel like getting sick at the thought of the scales. This is the closest I've ever came to not going to get weighed.

Please go. That's heppened me, then the following week is a disaster and I almost create an excuse the following week. So draw a line, it's over and done.
    Onwards and upwards or actually downwards in your case!! Think positive

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

Go and get weighed. Stay focused. I know what you are thinking. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Please go. That's heppened me, then the following week is a disaster and I almost create an excuse the following week. So draw a line, it's over and done.
    Onwards and upwards or actually downwards in your case!! Think positive

I know it's an excuse to drag the bad week into another week but I'm actually going on holidays for 3.5 weeks tomorrow after weigh in so I really don't want to ruin them by knowing I'm up loads. I know a terrible excuse but it's just awful. I really want to go and enjoy my holidays and not be afraid to eat something nice if I want to. I have never been in such a bad headspace with slimming world. I just haven't put my heart into for the last month and although I've maintained for those weeks which isn't too bad I just know that the last week was a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I know it's an excuse to drag the bad week into another week but I'm actually going on holidays for 3.5 weeks tomorrow after weigh in so I really don't want to ruin them by knowing I'm up loads. I know a terrible excuse but it's just awful. I really want to go and enjoy my holidays and not be afraid to eat something nice if I want to. I have never been in such a bad headspace with slimming world. I just haven't put my heart into for the last month and although I've maintained for those weeks which isn't too bad I just know that the last week was a disaster.

Actually I wouldn't blame you if you didn't go tbh.

Twice, I've known full well I was in for a massive gain, so I didn't go and worked my ass off for the next week, and thankfully came back with a loss.

I've eaten nothing but crap for two weeks. Tomorrow is going to see me having a massive gain. My own fault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement