Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Hi Guys, want to start following SW today, but am so disorganized so I had no time to prepare anything last night for today's lunch. I know if I don't start today it will go on for another week! So I am wondering, for someone stuck in town and with no pre-prepared lunch, are there any SW lunch ideas?

Is there a subway near you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

m'lady wrote: »
    Is there a subway near you?

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that I am veggie also.

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that I am veggie also.

I don't eat red meat or fish and very little chicken.. I usually get a salad bowl with sweet onion dressing (1.5 syns), it's very filling and for only 1.5 syns it's handy! You could even pick up the good for you bread and have that with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

m'lady wrote: »
    I don't eat red meat or fish and very little chicken.. I usually get a salad bowl with sweet onion dressing (1.5 syns), it's very filling and for only 1.5 syns it's handy! You could even pick up the good for you bread and have that with it?

That sounds good, thanks! So do they just throw everything into it?

That sounds good, thanks! So do they just throw everything into it?

Yes.. You just ask for a salad bowl, and pick whatever you like. I usually get lettuce, tomato, red onion, sweet corn, cucumber and jalapeño with the sweet onion dressing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

aldi do a salad bowl chicken and mango one is 1 syn.
    hex b and a crackers/bread/ and cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I've done a few days of sp. I've worked out calories of what I've eaten those days and they are the same as ordinary slimming world days. I can't really see how you lose extra weight from doing the sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Well after joining Weight Watchers this week as I was feeling confused about Slimming World, now I am even more confused. It's like I am running round for a quick fix and I know I can't get it anywhere - the hard work has to be put in. So it's back to Slimming World for me - I don't think I could deal with counting points at the moment - my life is busy enough without that! So I think I'm glad to be going back to Slimming World - it really does seem to suit me better, the only thing was I thought I could have more treats while on the WW points system, and I feel a bit restricted with Syns.

How is everyone getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I missed group yesterday after a week 100% on plan, weighed on my own scales just to get an idea and I'm so disillusioned now because it looks like I've lost little or nothing! I should have fuc&ed that thing out the window a long time ago, I felt thinner all week but all I can focus on now is what the bloody scales says!!

dee_mc wrote: »
    I missed group yesterday after a week 100% on plan, weighed on my own scales just to get an idea and I'm so disillusioned now because it looks like I've lost little or nothing! I should have fuc&ed that thing out the window a long time ago, I felt thinner all week but all I can focus on now is what the bloody scales says!!

Why don't you try get to a different class this week and see if you have lost?

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »

If you weighed in group I'd say you might have lost more than it says on your own scale because I know with my scale if I placed it in different places in the house I'd get a different weight each time - a difference of a few lbs :P so it's in storage now ha I just weigh in boots every now and then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Down a half pound this week! Happy with that as I was more off-plan than on.

weight.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

1lb off today, had a night with zero sleep so surprised I didn't put on!

pinkstars wrote: »
    Why don't you try get to a different class this week and see if you have lost?

My only other option was this morning and I was working. Maybe I will find a Saturday group and build a day out around weigh-in!

If you weighed in group I'd say you might have lost more than it says on your own scale because I know with my scale if I placed it in different places in the house I'd get a different weight each time - a difference of a few lbs :P so it's in storage now ha I just weigh in boots every now and then

Thanks but in the case of my home scales it's the opposite!
    I'm grand about it now really, I just needed to vent a bit! Hopefully I will see a result when I weigh next week, fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Lost a pound and a half this week, bringing my total loss so far up to 10 and a half pounds.
    Shocked! I honestly thought that due to a mixture of hormones and pigging out on Asian food I'd be up by at least 2 lbs this week!
    Delighted. I'm going on a short trip down the country tomorrow and I've just purchased the Fakeaways recipe book to keep myself on the straight and narrow. That Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is the stuff of legends. Only tried it once but jaysus, it was nicer than anything out of Indie Spice! :D

Well I put on Going back to slimming world I was up 4 pounds last night I am shocked stunned disheartened - it's brought me up to the 16 stone range being 5 feet I can't carry this weight and I seem to be so overwhelmed I just don't know where or how to start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Pinkstars, start with the first half stone. Focus only on that and when it's gone, focus on the next one and so on. I overheard a girl at my class saying she was only looking at every half stone from now on as looking at the overall picture was too depressing!
    My take on it is slightly different. We all focus on a number we think we should be. I look back on photos over the years and think I was fine then - and I'd be at least a stone over what would be considered my ideal weight! This time I intend to get to a place I'm comfortable with maintaining and if my BMI still says overweight I'm not going to get too stressed about that - and I'm going to work off theory that being 10 lbs overweight is far better than bounding back up to 4 or 5 stone by setting myself a target I can't get to or stay at.

Now, how do you start? Get through one day and then the next and soon you'll start to feel better. Do you know what your weaknesses are? Mine are that minute I walk in the door after work - so I make sure there is something for me to snack on. My others are chocolate, biscuits and wine! I can't eat one square of choc or one biscuit or even 2! So I need to do a cold turkey on them. With wine once I have a glass or two I start craving all kinds of other stuff and haven't the willpower to resist. Try and identify what those triggers/weaknesses are for you.

Try to have a good breakfast. I have porridge on work days as I can get into me fast! (And I love it). I use some syns to add a spoon of honey to it as I can't eat without it and I make it half milk, half water.
    I bring fruit and yoghurt with me to work and have them near me and often graze away on them as I work. Sometimes I'm not even hungry but need something.

Lunch. Not sure what your work situation is and if you have access to microwave etc. I tend to bring in leftovers from dinner the previous evening. It's a good bulky lunch which suits me. Yesterday I didn't have any leftovers so I had salmon (Aldi ones), boiled egg, some tomatoes and a few salad potatoes and it was very filling and substantial - could have done with some more veg but I hadn't it and I always work on principle of I'm better doing this 75% right rather than not at all!
    My OH also does this and he takes soup or salad and a sandwich with him for lunch (he has eggs for his breakfast)

Dinner. We make up enough to have leftovers - either for a 2nd dinner or lunches. This week we had chicken curry on Monday, steak, veg and chips on Tues, chilli on Wednesday, chicken, veg, pasta last night. I made up a batch of chilli on Sunday which did a few lunches as well as a dinner. This evening will be burger and chips. OH will make burgers but the Aldi 5% ones are gorgeous.

Snacks. I've recently discovered quark with sweet chilli sauce and dip carrot sticks into it - yummy, filling and you can't too much of it!

Weekends I have eggs and beans for breakfast.

Have things like 5% mince, chicken, fish in fridge, peppers and onions and mushrooms and potatoes in your veg box, passata and herbs, pasta and rice in the press. With these you'll get some dinner every night and fast! Make up big batches and throw extra into freezer or have for lunch or next night.

Don't be hungry. Eat until you're satisfied and you'll be surprised at how much you lose.

Plan your meals for next few days and use that plan to build a shopping list and off you go.

think about how you feel right now (or last night) and remember it if you're struggling. However bad a week I have I realise I don't want to get back there. I don't want to not want to go places as I've nothing to wear. I don't want to have to wear same few things all the time. I don't want to have one pair of jeans that fit! I don't want to dread seeing photos of myself. I don't want to be embarrassed when I meet people.

I'm not much taller than you and I was heavier than that when i started. I lost over 3 stone, put back a little of it lately as have had horrendous weeks but have pulled myself out of it and back on track again - I still have a way to go, but will stop and call target when I can get into a particular pair of jeans (comfortably!)

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Down 3.5lbs last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Started back today after being away for ages and defo not sticking to plan..and I'm down 1 1/2 pound..think the scales must have been wrong.esp as I had a hoodie and Jean on..delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Evek

Hi everyone,
    I've been doing sw for about 2 years now, and have lost almost 1.5 stone. I started following the plan on my own at home as we had no class anywhere near me back then :D My starting weight was 15st, and at a height of only 5ft 1, was way too heavy, I hated looking at myself in photos, felt fat and unattractive and was ashamed to even get undressed in front of my hubby :( Time for action, so I bought the plan books from ebay, read everything I could about the plans, joined a support group for coeliac slimming worlders, as I'm gluten intolerant, and away I went.
    I've never lost a huge amount, always half or a pound a week if I was lucky, but I stuck with it and the weight came down, VERY slowly. I am now stuck between 13.5 and 14 stone, I keep yo yoing between these 2 weights, very disheartening.
    I found out, after having a total hysterectomy, that my B12 gets low and I feel very tired and basically can't be a**ed to do anything, and I think that's the point I'm at again :/
    I'm toying with the idea of following the red day or original plan for a while, see how that affects my losses, if any, as following the EE plan has been very slow and labourious. Does anyone else do the original plan, and can advise me on whats what with the plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 pinkdiamond2

Does anyone know if you have to syn mild curry powder spices from lidl? Also does anyone know any low syn curry sauces other than the mayflower curry powder (can't find it in Limerick) Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does anyone know if you have to syn mild curry powder spices from lidl? Also does anyone know any low syn curry sauces other than the mayflower curry powder (can't find it in Limerick) Thanks :)

You need to check the ingredients for the curry powders - some are a 'blend' and have oil, sugar etc in them so would have syns.. but if it's just spice they're free. I think I saw a pic of a new SW curry sauce coming out?

Yeah it's with all the spices in lidl, was just wondering if there was any other sauces with low syns too :) I heard the knorr chip shop sachets were 2.5 syns per portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cavan Bear

Yeah it's with all the spices in lidl, was just wondering if there was any other sauces with low syns too :) I heard the knorr chip shop sachets were 2.5 syns per portion.

Knorr Mild Curry Sauce Mix. Made up as directed, dried 38g sachet is 8 syns.
    Erin Instant Curry Sauce 28g sachet is 5.5 syns
    Erin Curry Sauce made up as directed per 100 ml is 5 syns.
    Aldi Asia specialities Chinese Curry Sauce Mix, made up as directed dried per 100g is 3 syns.

I found these on the Slimming World App, I couldn't find the Knorr chip shop sachets but other brands seem to be 6 syns and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi all, I have just discovered this thread. I have to say that I am SO glad I joined. I joined at the end of May and I'm now down 13.5 lbs and am weighing in on Wednesday after a semi- good week. My target is three stone but it may need to be more. I find the support of going to the group and hearing tips from others really helpful. If you don't have the app, it's really worth getting. How is everyone else getting on?
    This is the first 'lifestyle change' (not going to call it a diet) that I have been on where I really feel different. I can still have my treats and as long as I count them in and factor them into the syns, you can still lose weight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've made some syn free or very low syn curry sauces from SW's website. Iceland sell a syn free tikka masala sauce.

Cavan Bear wrote: »
    Knorr Mild Curry Sauce Mix. Made up as directed, dried 38g sachet is 8 syns.
    Erin Instant Curry Sauce 28g sachet is 5.5 syns
    Erin Curry Sauce made up as directed per 100 ml is 5 syns.
    Aldi Asia specialities Chinese Curry Sauce Mix, made up as directed dried per 100g is 3 syns.

I found these on the Slimming World App, I couldn't find the Knorr chip shop sachets but other brands seem to be 6 syns and upwards.

Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

Hey all!

I've just joined slimming world again and had my first week over- with a weight loss of 6lbs.

The first time i joined I lost 10lbs on the first week and I really thought that this time I did much better- ate healthier, exercised loads etc etc.

I find the result really depressing, simply because I'm comparing it to the last time I was there. But also, I'm 21 y/o and 17 stone. I really think that 6lbs isn't a great loss, but maybe I'm wrong. i feel really depressed with this result and i really want to just give up now...

Has this happened to anyone before? why does this happen? how can i resolve it?

Hopeless Slimmer xo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You lost 6lb in a week and you're...upset that it's not enough? Are you serious? I've only ever lost that much once, it was my biggest ever loss in a week and I was delighted!

As for giving up, well where exactly do you want to be in 6 months time? A year? 'Cos if you give up now you'll be in exactly the same place. Up to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement