Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm just two months in SW and in recent days I've found myself using no syns without even trying.

Breakfast usually porridge and fruit or Special K granola and fruit. Usually have a cold meat and egg salad for lunch and a meat, veg, potato type of dinner or pasta. Drink a lot of water and a few teas and coffees throughout the day. Snack on lots of fruit throughout the day too.

God, I miss crisps though! :)

Why are you going without syns if you miss crisps so much? You could afford to have a pack of low syn ones every day or a couple of times a week at least without effecting your weight loss negatively - in fact, in my first few months with Slimming World, I lost more the weeks I used 5-15 syns than I did the weeks I restricted myself!
    If you want to make your eating plan sustainable for life, and keep the weight off, you might be better off allowing yourself the odd treat (God I hate the word 'treat', makes me feel like a dog or a toddler!) a couple of times a week, otherwise you could be much more likely to have a blowout and find it hard to get back on plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

Down 4lbs this week! That's 10.5 gone so far.

... 68.5lb to go.

Out of curiosity, how long would one give themselves to lose such weight? Could it be done in a year? Less? More?
    Obviously it's individual but, from experience or anecdotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

dee_mc wrote: »
    Why are you going without syns if you miss crisps so much? You could afford to have a pack of low syn ones every day or a couple of times a week at least without effecting your weight loss negatively - in fact, in my first few months with Slimming World, I lost more the weeks I used 5-15 syns than I did the weeks I restricted myself!
    If you want to make your eating plan sustainable for life, and keep the weight off, you might be better off allowing yourself the odd treat (God I hate the word 'treat', makes me feel like a dog or a toddler!) a couple of times a week, otherwise you could be much more likely to have a blowout and find it hard to get back on plan?

I know what you're saying and I 100% agree. It's just that if I have a 6 pack of crisps in the house, I'm not going to eat one of them. All 6 are goners!

Like I said, I'm not deliberately avoiding using syns - it's just that some days I haven't used them. I love my hi-fi bars! And the odd pint of Guinness at the weekend is my "treat"! :D

I know what you're saying and I 100% agree. It's just that if I have a 6 pack of crisps in the house, I'm not going to eat one of them. All 6 are goners!

Like I said, I'm not deliberately avoiding using syns - it's just that some days I haven't used them. I love my hi-fi bars! And the odd pint of Guinness at the weekend is my "treat"! :D

Fair play, but give yourself some credit too, because when you think about it, you're saying you've no self control and can't be trusted with a multi-pack of crisps in the house... but look at how well you are doing! If I were you I would test the waters, buy a pack or two and prove to yourself that your self control now has progressed so much from what it was.
    Also, some of the people in my group build their daily or 'couple of times a week'ly treat into a walk or cycle for exactly the reason you've outlined, so they have the benefit of their 'treat' and a bit of exercise all rolled in to one :)
    Well done again, you're doing great ;)

... 68.5lb to go.

Out of curiosity, how long would one give themselves to lose such weight? Could it be done in a year? Less? More?

It took me roughly 15 months to lose just over 5 stone. It took another lady in my group exactly half that time to lose 5 stone (she has since lost another 4+ and is nearly at target), and another lady I know has lost around 5 stone in a couple of weeks shy of 2 years (she has another couple of stone to go).
    Give yourself as much time as you need, and be nice to yourself - don't try to lose it all as quickly as possible, just follow the plan and enjoy it and learn from it and you will get there and stay there!
    Well done on your 4 pound loss, that's incredible. When you're doing the shopping pick up 2 bags of sugar or 4 pounds of butter and just think about how much lighter you are in one little week, it's such an achievement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

... 68.5lb to go.

I've been arsing around for the last few months with my weight loss but I've almost 5 stone down in 21 months. I thought I'd be at target by now but I'm not and I'm not too devastated by that. My target is to lose 7 altogether ao I've another while at it but I'll get there in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

... 68.5lb to go.

It'll take as long as it takes. Putting a time-frame on it creates unnecessary pressure, you didn't put it on overnight so you won't lose it that way either.

I'm back from a few days holidays today, we enjoyed very good food and drink, not remotely on plan but didn't have much junk either (hard to sneak any when you're sharing a room with a grabby toddler!) Back to normality now, hoping to pull it back in time for next Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I just found a 500ml bottle of Fanta zero in my local dunnes today and got way too excited. I actually wrote to Coca Cola last year (yes I am that sad) complaining that the airport was the only place in Ireland you could get contour bottles of Fanta zero! I'm not a huge 7up free fan and I never ever drink coke because I was 100% addicted to it for years so I'm like a child now with my small bottle of Fanta zero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was up 1.5lbs last night and was shocked to have a gain after sticking to plan all week. The leader went through everything and thinks it's down to fasting for over 15 hours the day before for medical reasons, I hadn't a drink either in that time and I'm still feeling a bit dehydrated 2 days later. I'm hoping the gain is down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nopenopenope

Hi all :)

I have just joined slimming world (yesterday) and I am soooo nervous about it. I decided to join the online version, but there doesn't seem to be any forum on there to talk to like-minded slimmers!! So I found one here by the looks of it :)
    What I am struggling with is, if I am allowed to eat all this "free" food, and eat more food than I would eat generally, how am I going to actually lose weight? Im finding it hard to get my head around it! :)

I am an ex smoker of 2.5 years and gained about 2 stone after I quit. Food suddenly became a glorious and mysterious friend of mine and to put it mildly, I could easily be eating 2 dinners a day not to mention the snacks - pastries, sweets, cakes, fizzy drinks etc. I'm also less active (out of laziness) than I have ever been in my life. So, in the interest of not losing the benefits of quitting smoking, I've decided I need to start consciously making better food choices so my health isn't effected by my weight gain. Its only took me two and a half years but the struggle was real when I first gave up the smokes :) Any advice would be most appreciated, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hi all :)

I have just joined slimming world (yesterday) and I am soooo nervous about it. I decided to join the online version, but there doesn't seem to be any forum on there to talk to like-minded slimmers!! So I found one here by the looks of it :)
    What I am struggling with is, if I am allowed to eat all this "free" food, and eat more food than I would eat generally, how am I going to actually lose weight? Im finding it hard to get my head around it! :)

I am an ex smoker of 2.5 years and gained about 2 stone after I quit. Food suddenly became a glorious and mysterious friend of mine and to put it mildly, I could easily be eating 2 dinners a day not to mention the snacks - pastries, sweets, cakes, fizzy drinks etc. I'm also less active (out of laziness) than I have ever been in my life. So, in the interest of not losing the benefits of quitting smoking, I've decided I need to start consciously making better food choices so my health isn't effected by my weight gain. Its only took me two and a half years but the struggle was real when I first gave up the smokes :) Any advice would be most appreciated, cheers :)

Hi there!
    First of all well done on giving up the cigarettes, that's a fantastic achievement!

I've been in slimming world the past year and a bit, I lost just over 3 stone and reached my target in about 8 months.
    The idea is that your filling yourself up with all these 'free' or 'speed' foods , and reducing the 'baddies'.. Though you still can have a treat out of your 15 syns.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, I'll try and help as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nopenopenope

m'lady wrote: »
    Hi there!
    First of all well done on giving up the cigarettes, that's a fantastic achievement!

I've been in slimming world the past year and a bit, I lost just over 3 stone and reached my target in about 8 months.
    The idea is that your filling yourself up with all these 'free' or 'speed' foods , and reducing the 'baddies'.. Though you still can have a treat out of your 15 syns.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, I'll try and help as best I can.

Thanks a million m'lady (that sounds hilarious out loud - great name) 😂 Incredible weightloss by you, you must be so proud of yourself, great achievement!!!! Are you at your end target now??? Did you find it hard?? I think wine will be a big killer for me, I either have to save all my sins for the week so I can use them at the weekend or else give up alcohol entirely while Im trying to lose. Any tips on that??? 😊

Ya I suppose thats fair to say, the free foods are quite healthy, not sure why I hadnt thought of just loading up on those things before when 5-a-day has been advised for years - how obvious!!! The thing I love is meat and fish, they are the best free foods ever, I love it!!! Not a big pasta eater (unless its with a ridicously fattening & creamy sause) but rice I love, especially in a bowl mixed with tuna!!! I do love potatoes but sadly not without loads of butter!! 😂 Today, I used 6 syns on this white chocolate with strawberry bar by Free'ist - really yummy & sugar/gluten free. The bar is big though, so I had a 3rd of it (6 squares). I made home made soup as well for lunch and an omolette for breakfast! If anything, its really making me get into cooking, some of the healthy alternatives are amazing!!!! xox

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Anyone have a low syn chocolate indulgence? Craving it tonight but don't have enough syns for a full chocolate bar (and I wouldn't be able to only eat few squares!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Makapakka wrote:
    Anyone have a low syn chocolate indulgence? Craving it tonight but don't have enough syns for a full chocolate bar (and I wouldn't be able to only eat few squares!!!)

Whenever I need a real chocolate kick I have 1 square of the darkest chocolate I can find, just a nibble at a time and let it melt on my tongue. Its too strong to chow my way through it so I can't overeat it but it hits the spot when I'm craving. One square is 3.5 syns

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jo33

Seems everyone making good progress - well done! Went to SW on Friday v reluctantly as ate rings around myself last week. Down 2lb! Thrilled! That's 8.5lbs in 5 weeks. Delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Makapakka wrote: »

A Freddo bar or a small thin dairy milk bar are only 5 syns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Anyone else not a big eater of fruit and veg and finding it hard to eat a lot of speed foods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks a million m'lady (that sounds hilarious out loud - great name) 😂 Incredible weightloss by you, you must be so proud of yourself, great achievement!!!! Are you at your end target now??? Did you find it hard?? I think wine will be a big killer for me, I either have to save all my sins for the week so I can use them at the weekend or else give up alcohol entirely while Im trying to lose. Any tips on that??? 😊

Ya I suppose thats fair to say, the free foods are quite healthy, not sure why I hadnt thought of just loading up on those things before when 5-a-day has been advised for years - how obvious!!! The thing I love is meat and fish, they are the best free foods ever, I love it!!! Not a big pasta eater (unless its with a ridicously fattening & creamy sause) but rice I love, especially in a bowl mixed with tuna!!! I do love potatoes but sadly not without loads of butter!! 😂 Today, I used 6 syns on this white chocolate with strawberry bar by Free'ist - really yummy & sugar/gluten free. The bar is big though, so I had a 3rd of it (6 squares). I made home made soup as well for lunch and an omolette for breakfast! If anything, its really making me get into cooking, some of the healthy alternatives are amazing!!!! xox

Thanks Nope, yes I'm very proud, gone from a size 16/18 to 10/12, so happy!!
    I honestly didn't find it too hard, I just got stuck in and got on with it, I have an underactive thyroid so it did take a while to shift the 3 stone, but was well worth it! Yes I'm at my final target now, couldn't lose much more without looking ill ( I never thought I'd say that!!).
    I was on holiday last week so am at the top end of my target so want to shift that 2lbs this week.
    Alcohol- I am not a major drinker unless I'm on a night out or on holidays so I'm probably not the best to advise you on that, I did probably cut down a fair bit when I was just starting SW though.. There is a wine that is much lower in syns, I'll get the name of it if you like?

You really get into cooking,and you should try a different recipe each week, as I find you can end up eating the same stuff out of handiness/laziness!

That was me I the beginning. I just over ate the couple of fruit and veg I didn't despise, then gradually added in new stuff as I got bored and I found my tastes changed completely. I love celery and tenderstem brocolli now, and so many other things.
    So keep trying things and keep an open mind.
    Also try sneaking veg into yourself by grating a carrot into your bolognese or making a great soup, you'll likely get the hang of it quickly.
    In the meantime just tell yourself it's necessary and try something new every week - take a few highlighters and mark off the list of speed stuff in the SW book, a different colour each for ones you detest, ones you don't mind, ones you actually like and ones you've ever tried. Make it your mission to try at least half the ones you've never eaten and to like at least one of the ones you currently hate 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Just bought a Slow Cooker on Amazon. Dam Amazon Prime makes it so easy :(

Looking forward to the meats though. Every week in group, someone mentions how they made something in a slow cooker and it was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

gubbie wrote: »
    Just bought a Slow Cooker on Amazon. Dam Amazon Prime makes it so easy :(

Looking forward to the meats though. Every week in group, someone mentions how they made something in a slow cooker and it was amazing.

I made SW's coq au vin in my slow cooker this week instead of on the hob and it was just as delicous and so tender. I put it on overnight and there was a lovely aroma in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Campfire stew is also delicious and so easy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Campfire stew is also delicious and so easy..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Thinking of joining a gym - still 16 stone and not following SW. So today I join a gym and go back to Slimming World :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

pinkstars wrote: »
    Thinking of joining a gym - still 16 stone and not following SW. So today I join a gym and go back to Slimming World :D

I noticed a difference in my weight loss when i joined a gym, it makes such a difference. And even if you don't notice weight loss, you could loose fat and gain muscle so at least you will feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Hey guys, does anyone know what the story is with restarting your progress and can this be done in the middle of a countdown? So basically I had lost a fair bit of weight and put most of it back on but am still going to SW but just haven't been following the plan at all. I am feeling a lot more motivated and focused at the moment so I'm thinking if I went back to 0 and got a new Food Optimising book (so I don't have to see the awards I had) it might help me. Does anyone know how much I would have to pay for the book and is it possible to restart my weight loss cos I still have a few weeks left in my countdown?

Down 4.5lb last night!

Got my 1 stone award! :D:D

Cannot see differences physically yet, however :/

Also, would recommend increasing calcium intake. Was reading some papers on their link to weight loss. i know the likes of almond milk has less calories but apparently skim milk is linked to increased BMR and thus in the long run, you lose more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jo33

Good job Longford - a stone! Over how long? I'm down another 1/2lb - 9lb so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Down 1 stone 1 pound so far (lost 1/2 a pound last week) I have found the hi fi bars really good for a light snack and has started to reduce tea intake and have a herbal tea instead. Went for brunch today and got this mushroom and egg salad on brioche and decided not to have to brioche at all to cut out unnecessary syns. Really amazed at how much my attitude to food has changed. Can't speak highly enough of SW- it's fab!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement