Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Haven't gone in 3 weeks now as I was on holidays but going back this week. I gained 7lbs while away but I've lost 4 of those so I might be back to my pre holiday weight by weight in:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm actually nervous to weigh today. Usually I'm not. I hope that's not a bad sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I set my target last night as what I weighed. Should I have got a little booklet or something on being target member? I don't stay for class but have always gotten stickers etc when I hit milestones from the girl at scales. I didn't even get a sticker or cert. It was a little anti - climactic I have to say. I'll give my consultant a shout later anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    I set my target last night as what I weighed. Should I have got a little booklet or something on being target member? I don't stay for class but have always gotten stickers etc when I hit milestones from the girl at scales. I didn't even get a sticker or cert. It was a little anti - climactic I have to say. I'll give my consultant a shout later anyway.

Yeah you get a booklet, cert, pin and sticker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

thanks tk123

• Advertisement

Was up 5lbs this week after my holidays and missing last week. I lost 4.5 before the hols so in total it's half pound gain. So gonna look at it as starting over. 🙂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

I thought I saw a group advertised in Kilbarrack - does anyone have the details please?

I thought I saw a group advertised in Kilbarrack - does anyone have the details please?

It's in Ardscoil le Salle on Tuesdays at 7.30pm :)

It's in Ardscoil le Salle on Tuesdays at 7.30pm :)

Thanks Penny!

That's the Raheny one, not sure if it's safe to cross the tracks there :pac:

Is there a Kilbarrack one specifically? Maybe it's a new group.

• Advertisement

That's the Raheny one, not sure if it's safe to cross the tracks there :pac:

Is there a Kilbarrack one specifically? Maybe it's a new group.

Sorry, according to the sw website, that's the one for raheny/kilbarrack

You could try using their class locator on their site? I tried it and got that, but admittedly didn't look too hard

Sorry, according to the sw website, that's the one for raheny/kilbarrack

You could try using their class locator on their site? I tried it and got that, but admittedly didn't look too hard

Thanks again Penny, I might just risk the Raheny one, I can't seem to find the Kilbarrack one. Next time I'm in Centra buying loads of sweets I'll check again, I'm sure that's where I saw it.

Do you happen to know if they're really ahem about people missing sessions in Raheny? I work shift so every 4 weeks or so I'll miss a session. The previous time I tried SW I had to pay for the missed session in another venue.

Thanks again for all your help!

You have to pay for missed classes in any group, but I think if you explain you work shift, you can be allowed them off free of charge. There's also the option of other classes, like if you miss a Tuesday, you could weigh on Wednesday in coolock (4 classes there on a Wednesday, 9.30, 11.30, 17.30 and 19.30) or Harmonstown on Thursday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Does anyone know the syns of Aldi frozen chicken pieces, lime and coriander, I've found online that the red Thai ones are 5 syns per pack but it doesn't have the lime ones, also the stir fry rice and beans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Why can you use 2 slices of bread from a 400g wholemeal pan, but it an 800g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi all, I lost a pound last week so I'm down a stone and five pounds and almost at my club 10. Just had a serious sweet craving but went for slices of ham and muller lights instead. it was so hard. Has anyone got any hints for sweet cravings that are low syn and simple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Why can you use 2 slices of bread from a 400g wholemeal pan, but it an 800g

We discussed this in group the other day. It's literally the physical size of the slices, in the 800g loaf they are slightly bigger so weigh more.
    This doesn't apply to the Brennan's Be Good or the Pat the Baker 58cal bread though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Hi all, I lost a pound last week so I'm down a stone and five pounds and almost at my club 10. Just had a serious sweet craving but went for slices of ham and muller lights instead. it was so hard. Has anyone got any hints for sweet cravings that are low syn and simple?

For me brushing my teeth always helps

Does anyone have a list of what you can't have one extra easy sp? Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've asked this in the food section and come up blank, so just wondered if anyone here knows where I can get fat free fromage frais ? I tend to end up mixing quark with f/f youghurt as a substitute but would love to get the real thing as its used in so many SW recipes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Makapakka wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of what you can't have one extra easy sp? Thanks :)

Just found this link I had saved. It might be of some help

http://www.slimmingworldsurvival.com/blog/slimming-world-extra-easy-sp-7-day-meal-plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Andip wrote: »
    I've asked this in the food section and come up blank, so just wondered if anyone here knows where I can get fat free fromage frais ? I tend to end up mixing quark with f/f youghurt as a substitute but would love to get the real thing as its used in so many SW recipes

Tesco do it - part of their healthy living range. http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263279843 I'm nearly sure it's with the yogurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tesco do it - part of their healthy living range. http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263279843 I'm nearly sure it's with the yogurts

Thanks, I recognize the pot obviously didn't see the fat free ....Specsavers time 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thinking about joining SW but a little reluctant so I hope someone can help.

My issue isn't over eating, I actually probably only eat 1 meal a day and graze in between. Obviously what I'm eating isn't the healthiest, I go to restaurants and get take away often but would still probably only have the 1 meal a day.
    This combined with IBS and a bout of bulimia that lasted a couple of years means my metabolism is all over the place and very slow.

I previously did weight watchers and even though I followed the plan to a tee, I lost little to no weight because my points allowance was too large (imo).

I'm currently on a personal training program with a very strict diet and I'm totally miserable.
    I'm thinking about continuing the training but using the SW plan instead, I'm just wondering how others would find it in comparison to weight watchers?
    Is there a set amount of syns that have to be used or can I just eat my normal amount but healthier, if you get me?

TIA and congrats on all the losses, I'm at my wits end so hoping this will be something that works for me.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thinking about joining SW but a little reluctant so I hope someone can help.

My issue isn't over eating, I actually probably only eat 1 meal a day and graze in between. Obviously what I'm eating isn't the healthiest, I go to restaurants and get take away often but would still probably only have the 1 meal a day.
    This combined with IBS and a bout of bulimia that lasted a couple of years means my metabolism is all over the place and very slow.

I previously did weight watchers and even though I followed the plan to a tee, I lost little to no weight because my points allowance was too large (imo).

I'm currently on a personal training program with a very strict diet and I'm totally miserable.
    I'm thinking about continuing the training but using the SW plan instead, I'm just wondering how others would find it in comparison to weight watchers?
    Is there a set amount of syns that have to be used or can I just eat my normal amount but healthier, if you get me?

TIA and congrats on all the losses, I'm at my wits end so hoping this will be something that works for me.

Hey! I dunno if SW will be suitable for you, but here's the basics of how it works -

There are a few food groups:

Speed - the best kind. It's most fruit and vegetables. You should eat as much "speed" as you can because it fills you while being super low calorie.

Free: some higher calorie fruits and veg (parsnips, grapes, bananas etc) and also carbs like potatoes, rice and pasta. You can have as much as you like with each meal provided you follow some rules (which ill explain further down!).

Healthy extra A - your dairy allowance, so your daily allowance of cheese, milk etc.

Healthy extra B - your fibre allowance, so things like certain wholemeal breads and cereals that you should have each day.

Syns - you use these for treats! Chocolate, crisps, extra bread etc is covered by syns. Unless you're over 16 stone (in which case you get extra), you can have 5-15 syns a day. To give an example of syn values, a packet of Tayto from a newsagents is about 10-11 syns, a curly wurly is 6. So you can have one or two treats per day, or less if you choose! Syns are also used for butter, oils etc.

The rules- eat as much as you like to feel full. If you graze, graze on fruit, veg and lean meat.

Each meal should be 1/3 speed food, and then 2/3 protein and free food.

That's all there is to it really. It's very simple to follow if you're happy to cook!

If the high allowance of carbs doesn't suit you (it doesn't suit everyone), there is another plan called SP. On this plan, you get 2 healthy extra B choices, one healthy extra A choice, but NO free food, so no yogurt, rice, pasta, potatoes. On this plan, your meals have to be 1/2 speed and 1/2 protein. You can still use your syns.

It works for many people, even those with slow metabolisms. I have PCOS so weight loss is somewhat difficult but I'm doing fine on it.

Its worth a shot for a month if you're miserable with your current plan!

Up a pound this week and I'm at my wits end. Couldn't have had a more on plan week if I tried. Kept under my 15 Syns everyday and still have a gain. I'm training 4 days a week and am at the closest I've ever came to quitting. When I weighed in this morning my consultant said maybe the plan doesn't suit me. I'm like hello I've been doing this for almost 2 years and it worked then. It's so hard to keep to plan and not see results. Had my body fat measured today so hopefully that will start to reduce and I can see some kind of decrease.

Gained half last week after being good, so I got angry and ate rings around myself this week.

Somehow lost 1lb this morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Wellyd wrote: »
    Up a pound this week and I'm at my wits end. Couldn't have had a more on plan week if I tried. Kept under my 15 Syns everyday and still have a gain. I'm training 4 days a week and am at the closest I've ever came to quitting. When I weighed in this morning my consultant said maybe the plan doesn't suit me. I'm like hello I've been doing this for almost 2 years and it worked then. It's so hard to keep to plan and not see results. Had my body fat measured today so hopefully that will start to reduce and I can see some kind of decrease.

I've been ate on here for suggesting this before, but it might be time to count calories. You can still be on plan and do that.

I think counting calories is very helpful tbh in conjunction with sw. I do sw, along with calorie counting and keeping an eye on my macros. Sometimes when we lose enough, simply following sw isn't enough on its own

• Advertisement

Thanks Dolbert and Penny. My trainer is devising a half SW/half his plan for me to see if I can see results. His first mission is to get me to eat breakfast! I haven't ate breakfast since I was in school so that's going to be hard! I'm such a fussy eater that he's really going to struggle but I really need to plough on. I'm just a bit peeved with my consultant this morning surely she could have had something better to say than maybe the plan doesn't suit me. Anyway I'll keep at it for another while despite the giving out I'm doing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement