Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Wellyd wrote: »
    Thanks Dolbert and Penny. My trainer is devising a half SW/half his plan for me to see if I can see results. His first mission is to get me to eat breakfast! I haven't ate breakfast since I was in school so that's going to be hard! I'm such a fussy eater that he's really going to struggle but I really need to plough on. I'm just a bit peeved with my consultant this morning surely she could have had something better to say than maybe the plan doesn't suit me. Anyway I'll keep at it for another while despite the giving out I'm doing!

Have you always been training Wellyd or is it new?
    It's bad form of your consultant to say that, surely she should be trying to figure out why it's not working for you at the moment.
    I've started making breakfast muffins and just heat one up and have that before going to work as I never have breakfast either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I don't follow SW anymore but my leader at the time said that while the plan would probably get you most of the way there, you'd likely need something more to get to target. I admired her honesty!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thinking about joining SW but a little reluctant so I hope someone can help.

My issue isn't over eating, I actually probably only eat 1 meal a day and graze in between. Obviously what I'm eating isn't the healthiest, I go to restaurants and get take away often but would still probably only have the 1 meal a day.
    This combined with IBS and a bout of bulimia that lasted a couple of years means my metabolism is all over the place and very slow.

I previously did weight watchers and even though I followed the plan to a tee, I lost little to no weight because my points allowance was too large (imo).

I'm currently on a personal training program with a very strict diet and I'm totally miserable.
    I'm thinking about continuing the training but using the SW plan instead, I'm just wondering how others would find it in comparison to weight watchers?
    Is there a set amount of syns that have to be used or can I just eat my normal amount but healthier, if you get me?

TIA and congrats on all the losses, I'm at my wits end so hoping this will be something that works for me.

Hi whiteroses,
    Sw is a great plan to follow as you can eat pretty much everything you like (within reason). The reason your metabolism is slow might be because you're eating very little, with one meal a day you're body might think it is starving. I had very bad ibs before I joined sw but since I joined my condition has improved to almost 100%. It might be because of the reduced fat, bread, sauces ect; I'm not sure what my triggers were but I see a huge improvement which has improved my quality of life greatly. I joined in March and received my 2 and half stone award today Yipee!!! If you're willing to stick to the plan it will pay off. Good luck on your journey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Have you always been training Wellyd or is it new?
    It's bad form of your consultant to say that, surely she should be trying to figure out why it's not working for you at the moment.
    I've started making breakfast muffins and just heat one up and have that before going to work as I never have breakfast either.

I've been running since January minimum 4 days a week but about 5 weeks ago I joined the gym. I didn't expect too much muscle gain as I've been running and had already been through that phase. I've eased off on the running a good bit since I joined. I only decided to join the gym to tone a bit and improve my fitness as I knew the SW plan wasn't as effective as it was in the beginning. I really love the gym so I'm hoping that it could be just another muscle gain phase I'm going through. I'm really apprehensive of going off plan as its really helped me up to now and I think I'm afraid of the Unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thanks for the feedback. Only have roughly 1.5 stone to lose, the very maximum I'd like to lose is 2 stone so hopefully it'll work for me. It's worth a shot anyway! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

I've been running since January minimum 4 days a week but about 5 weeks ago I joined the gym. I didn't expect too much muscle gain as I've been running and had already been through that phase. I've eased off on the running a good bit since I joined. I only decided to join the gym to tone a bit and improve my fitness as I knew the SW plan wasn't as effective as it was in the beginning. I really love the gym so I'm hoping that it could be just another muscle gain phase I'm going through. I'm really apprehensive of going off plan as its really helped me up to now and I think I'm afraid of the Unknown.

Hopefully it is just muscle gain so and you will have a nice loss next week :) The gym will definitely help you tone so you are doing everything you can. I think stick to plan as much as you can still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Are there any wraps you can use as a hex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

If you aren't a SW member, but interested in finding out more about what fruits are considered 'speed' and what are considered 'free' where could you look? I eat a banana most days, and I know that it's not going to make me gain weight if everything else is in order, but if I could make small changes......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

^ Lists of speed foods can be found all over the internet. I'd look at slimmingworldsurvival.com as a good starting point.

edit: here is the website I mentioned --> Slimming World Survival.

I've been maintaining my target weight for the summer and managed to do a decent enough job (mostly sts but some +1/-1lb etc). This morning I moved my target down by another stone (currently 11st 7lb, aiming now for 10st 7lb, but my "ideal" weight according to science etc is about 10st even) so I'm back on the SW wagon :O So far I've managed to put together my food plan for the next week including syns so just need to do the shopping now. Is posting food diaries/meal plans a no-no in this thread? Might be nice to get some ideas etc.

@hollister is the WW wrap not a HEx any more? Wouldn't be the biggest fan of wraps myself so I'm not sure :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Andip wrote: »
    Thanks, I recognize the pot obviously didn't see the fat free ....Specsavers time 🙄

What I thought was fromage frais was actually cottage cheese - it's ok I didn't buy 😀 But the pot is identical. Asked in both my local superstores Mahon & Douglas and neither stock it so the search goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

^ Lists of speed foods can be found all over the internet. I'd look at slimmingworldsurvival.com as a good starting point.

edit: here is the website I mentioned --> Slimming World Survival.

I've been maintaining my target weight for the summer and managed to do a decent enough job (mostly sts but some +1/-1lb etc). This morning I moved my target down by another stone (currently 11st 7lb, aiming now for 10st 7lb, but my "ideal" weight according to science etc is about 10st even) so I'm back on the SW wagon :O So far I've managed to put together my food plan for the next week including syns so just need to do the shopping now. Is posting food diaries/meal plans a no-no in this thread? Might be nice to get some ideas etc.

@hollister is the WW wrap not a HEx any more? Wouldn't be the biggest fan of wraps myself so I'm not sure :(

I'd love to get other ideas of what people are having. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I'm a target member. I used a good few flexible syns for the last 2 nights for family functions. So now do I continue following the target plan ie 2 hex a and b per day or do I follow the standard sw plan for a few days and go back to target plan? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I'm a target member. I used a good few flexible syns for the last 2 nights for family functions. So now do I continue following the target plan ie 2 hex a and b per day or do I follow the standard sw plan for a few days and go back to target plan? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Done SW online now for a while with plenty of good results , thinking of giving the class a go there's a new one near us on a Thursday . just wondering what the meetings are like ?

do they help and what kind of things happen at them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Hi I had a liberte 0% fat Greek yoghurt with mango layer and the sw app says it's 1.5 syns but it's actually 90 calories for the pot.. anyone know how this is possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Makapakka wrote:
    Hi I had a liberte 0% fat Greek yoghurt with mango layer and the sw app says it's 1.5 syns but it's actually 90 calories for the pot.. anyone know how this is possible?

The yogurt bit is free but you are counting syns for the fruit compote. Those yogurts are gorgeous, very creamy and satisfying.

dee_mc wrote: »
    The yogurt bit is free but you are counting syns for the fruit compote. Those yogurts are gorgeous, very creamy and satisfying.

Ah very good! Forgot about the yoghurt part being free! :) and yes they are very tasty

Done SW online now for a while with plenty of good results , thinking of giving the class a go there's a new one near us on a Thursday . just wondering what the meetings are like ?

Hi Walter! Glad to hear you're having good results.
    The meetings can be great, personally I found them very motivating and it was great to be able to share recipes and get tips about little things like new food products and special offers on certain foods and stuff like that. At the most basic level, it's a chance to surround yourself with like minded people, which is great for anyone who needs a bit if support and encouragement they might not get at home or from friends for whatever reason. Going to group also gives you access to the Hifi bars which are delicious and can be used as your healthy B choice.
    Sitting in on the new members talk (at least once!) is a great way to make sure you know the plan inside out.
    In general the first half hour or so of the meeting is taken up with the new members talk which takes place in a corner of the room while existing members are paying, getting weighed, and catching up with other members. Then the new members join the rest of the group and the consultant leads the 'class' - usually this consists of her/him giving out awards (stickers and certs) to people who have met weight loss milestones (one for every half stone lost, one when you lose a tenth of your total body weight, and one when you reach your target weight) then chatting to everyone in the group in turn about their progress, for example 'Mary, a great week for you, another half pound loss this week, bringing your total loss in the past 9 weeks to 1 stone! Congratulations! Have you any tips to share with the group?' 'Paul, up 2 pounds this week, how do you feel about that? Do you know where it came from? What are you going to do to pull it back?' Etc etc. All very positive and encouraging and your actual weight is never mentioned in front of the group. This bit normally takes 30 to 45 minutes but varies by group and from week to week.
    Then at the end new members are given their pack including the SW book, they pay and get weighed. You have the option of setting a final target weight, which can be changed pretty much any time.
    I'd encourage anyone to give group a go if it's convenient and fairly local - it can be a bit cringey at times but in general it's such an excellent support and if you get to know people there, seeing them meet their milestones can become nearly ad good as reaching your own. Taster days are v popular too (although I'm not a big fan personally! ) as an opportunity to pick up new recipe ideas and eat a free lunch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

4lbs down this week after a 3lbs loss last week. Thrilled!

Hi Walter! Glad to hear you're having good results.
    The meetings can be great, personally I found them very motivating and it was great to be able to share recipes and get tips about little things like new food products and special offers on certain foods and stuff like that. At the most basic level, it's a chance to surround yourself with like minded people, which is great for anyone who needs a bit if support and encouragement they might not get at home or from friends for whatever reason. Going to group also gives you access to the Hifi bars which are delicious and can be used as your healthy B choice.
    Sitting in on the new members talk (at least once!) is a great way to make sure you know the plan inside out.
    In general the first half hour or so of the meeting is taken up with the new members talk which takes place in a corner of the room while existing members are paying, getting weighed, and catching up with other members. Then the new members join the rest of the group and the consultant leads the 'class' - usually this consists of her/him giving out awards (stickers and certs) to people who have met weight loss milestones (one for every half stone lost, one when you lose a tenth of your total body weight, and one when you reach your target weight) then chatting to everyone in the group in turn about their progress, for example 'Mary, a great week for you, another half pound loss this week, bringing your total loss in the past 9 weeks to 1 stone! Congratulations! Have you any tips to share with the group?' 'Paul, up 2 pounds this week, how do you feel about that? Do you know where it came from? What are you going to do to pull it back?' Etc etc. All very positive and encouraging and your actual weight is never mentioned in front of the group. This bit normally takes 30 to 45 minutes but varies by group and from week to week.
    Then at the end new members are given their pack including the SW book, they pay and get weighed. You have the option of setting a final target weight, which can be changed pretty much any time.
    I'd encourage anyone to give group a go if it's convenient and fairly local - it can be a bit cringey at times but in general it's such an excellent support and if you get to know people there, seeing them meet their milestones can become nearly ad good as reaching your own. Taster days are v popular too (although I'm not a big fan personally! ) as an opportunity to pick up new recipe ideas and eat a free lunch :D

Cool thanks really appreciate the insight , will be going tonight now anyway and sure will see how we get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Up 1.5lbs this week. I'm actually devastated. This is soul destroying at this stage.

Up 1.5lbs this week. I'm actually devastated. This is soul destroying at this stage.

Head up Wellyd, I had what I thought was the perfect week this week after setting a new target and it looks like I'm gonna be up 2lb :eek: My only downfall this week is possibly not drinking enough water, but otherwise I was on plan the rest of the week :rolleyes:

First class last night went well , was down another 2.5 lbs this week just following the online plan since we got back from holidays , set myself a 3 stone target and got the new curry book looks like some good stuff in there.

Hey, I'm treating myself to a lovely salad today for lunch. I'm going to use it as a treat because the meat is already in sauces and there is pasta with cheese filling. Does anyone attempt to syn these or just try and limit the amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Down my first stone this week, delighted!!

Makapakka wrote: »
    Hey, I'm treating myself to a lovely salad today for lunch. I'm going to use it as a treat because the meat is already in sauces and there is pasta with cheese filling. Does anyone attempt to syn these or just try and limit the amount?

I always try to syn everything, keeps me on track. I've found in the past that leaving things slip in without syning is a sure way of pushing me down a very slippery slope :o

Makapakka wrote:

I'd try to ballpark syn in and be pessimistic about the likely syn content. Even if you're doing a flexi day it's good to keep the numbers in mind!
    If it's a branded one like M&S it's usually easy enough to find syn values online. I often only use half the dressing or even less and that cuts a couple if syns as they tend to be oily.

I'd try to ballpark syn in and be pessimistic about the likely syn content. Even if you're doing a flexi day it's good to keep the numbers in mind!
    If it's a branded one like M&S it's usually easy enough to find syn values online. I often only use half the dressing or even less and that cuts a couple if syns as they tend to be oily.

I'm the same. "oh there's olive oil in this salad? Better count six syns!" :pac:

Has anyone found any supermarket/butchers doing the 5% fat pork mince in Cork? I''ve had my local butcher grind up some pork with visible fat removed but its always been a bit of an ordeal. My mother is fairly adamant O'Crualaoi do it but it'll be the weekend before I'm near one. One of our go-to dinners with leftovers is Scotch eggs but its expensive to keep using packs of the Mallons synless sausages to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Just joined SW last week & had my first weigh in last night - down 4 pounds in my first week, delighted :)

I love the fact that I'm learning to cook more meals for myself, and I'm genuinely enjoying cooking.

• Advertisement

Well done Shaz :)

I weighed in today and I'm down 2lb, delighted! Spent the rest of the morning making batches of scotch eggs, meatballs, pasta bake and some sauces. Next week is going to be carnage time-wise so I'm trying to be as prepped as possible. Does anyone chop vegetables and freeze them? Today I chopped up rakes of carrots, peppers, onions, courgettes and celery and froze them in freezer bags. I'm hoping I'll be able to cook them from frozen during the week without the ordeal of chopping. Does this even work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement