Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

I haven't had any coconut milk but I never used it before SW either.
    Well if you made a big curry would one tin be enough? Like would it be enough for 4 portions, at least that would only work out at 3.5 syns per portion. I'm not sure how much of it you would use so all you can really do is syn it.

Well that wouldn't be too bad so if you divide the syns between 3 or 4 meals. At least you still get to have the food that you enjoy :) Yes a low fat variety might be better. If you can't find the syns there is a syns calculator on the website where you put in all the nutritional content and it will work it out for you then.
    Yeah exactly, for me I couldn't cut out chocolate so I am happy out cos I still get to have some chocolate every evening with my tea!

• Advertisement

If you follow the plan it will definitely work :)
    What I love about it is I can still have so much normal food and don't have to cut out rice and pasta etc. I've done everything too but finally I think this is it! Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sasha I had a long reply written to your post earlier that I now realise never posted :(
    I read months ago about someone using soya milk and coconut essence in place of coconut milk in a Thai green curry. With that in mind, maybe you could satisfy your coconutty creamy craving with something similar, like using a drop of coconut essence to flavour some fat free Greek yogurt or something?
    I think even the low fat coconut milk works out at about 18 syns per can which is still very hefty as anything more than an occasional treat.
    Peanut butter and almond butter (which I now prefer because it's runnier so a smaller amount goes much further!) are much easier to fit in to the plan on a regular basis.
    Avocados I've all but given up on because every time I decide to treat myself to one it turns out not to be nice so not worth the syns! But again, they're not so ruinously high in syns that you couldn't manage to have half of one once or twice a week.
    Someone here mentioned a syn free or very low syn gravy recipe a while back, was it a chicken gravy? Can't remember but you could easily search the thread. Re sauces, the SW Little Book of Sauces is brilliant but most of the recipes are available online anyway.
    You will get there, don't try to tackle the whole plan at once. Take it day by day and week by week, get to grips with the healthy extras and try to keep your meals as low syn as possible so you have scope to fit in your treats. Feel free to throw up your daily meal plans here and we'll give you pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can someone help me syn Aldi caramel flavour rice cakes please? In the ingredient list Wholegrain brown rice is the first ingredient at 41%. So when I'm putting them.in the syn calculator should I insert rice as a free food?

Can someone help me syn Aldi caramel flavour rice cakes please? In the ingredient list Wholegrain brown rice is the first ingredient at 41%. So when I'm putting them.in the syn calculator should I insert rice as a free food?

I think a sweet rice cake would be synned the same as sweets or snacks, 20 calories per syn (no free food allowance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think a sweet rice cake would be synned the same as sweets or snacks, 20 calories per syn (no free food allowance)

Thank you. I'd a feeling that was the answer but I was hoping I was wrong!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

That's an excellent idea, I am going to add coconut essence onto my shopping list. I have been to Tesco/Aldi almost everyday this week so making a good list this weekend to avoid loads of trips.
    Has anyone tried the sweet and sour sauce using diet Fanta? Is it any good?

Sasha-I made that sweet and sour on Monday for the taster night, it went down a treat and I had a about 5 members message me asking me for the recipe before I got a chance to put it on the FB page!

Oh wow, I must give it a go so.
    I seen this recipe on the Naked Blondie's website and think I have everything I need to make it tonight, think ill give it a go!
    Ingredients
    50mls of Orange and Pineapple squash or 100mls of Diet/Zero Orange
    100mls of Passata
    1 tbsp of White wine/malt vinegar
    1 tbsp of garlic granules
    1 tsp of freshly chopped Chilli
    1 tbsp of Tomato puree
    1/4 of a chicken stock cube
    75mls of water.

Well I used the Zero orange (diet club orange has syns), I didn't add the garlic granules, used a vegetable stick cube and passata instead of the puree!

It takes a while to reduce down, It took mine about 45 mins and it first boiled. I hope you enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Finally weighed myself last night and actually cried when I saw the scales. 14 12! I cant believe it! At my best I was 11 7 and that was perfect for me (I'm 5ft10) and it steadily crept up over the last two years in college. I remember hitting 13 stone thinking I was fat, then 13 and a half. Now it's nearly 15! What the actual fck?? Devastated but once I calmed down and talked to my mam about it, I realized it was as well I did weigh myself because it was my "rock bottom" and as mam says, "you will never be that weight again". Mam lost over 2 stone on SW last year. I feel like I am standing at the bottom of a huge hill now tbh. So I have about 3 stone to lose! :( Where do you even start??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Finally weighed myself last night and actually cried when I saw the scales. 14 12! I cant believe it! At my best I was 11 7 and that was perfect for me (I'm 5ft10) and it steadily crept up over the last two years in college. I remember hitting 13 stone thinking I was fat, then 13 and a half. Now it's nearly 15! What the actual fck?? Devastated but once I calmed down and talked to my mam about it, I realized it was as well I did weigh myself because it was my "rock bottom" and as mam says, "you will never be that weight again". Mam lost over 2 stone on SW last year. I feel like I am standing at the bottom of a huge hill now tbh. So I have about 3 stone to lose! :( Where do you even start??

go to a group get on plan stick to it and youl fly.

I was in the exact same boat as u , i lost 9 stone a few years back after finishing up playing rugby was at 12 stone (which was a bit light for my liking tbh) got back to 13 and was happy but then put on almost 3 stone during a really stressful year in work last year i was back doing a masters and stuff and i was disgusted with myself for ending up back at nearly 16 stone and was feeling really low about it.

5 weeks on plan super easy to follow lost another 3lbs last nigt to take my total loss to over a stone in 5 weeks like its a great boost , the support is class and the food allowance is better than any diet ive ever been on ... im doing it with my oh and shes going for her stone and a half award next week after only 6 weeks.

Keep the head up weighing yourself that first time is a rotten feeling but if you go and do something about it its the first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

I do most of my shopping in Lidl , anyone know what bread I can buy there?

I would like to know this too only for me it's Aldi what's the best bread to get there and how much can you eat per day. Thanks

I would like to know this too only for me it's Aldi what's the best bread to get there and how much can you eat per day. Thanks

I sometimes get a pack of the Aldi Ballymore Crust Thins, they are like slimbos but they are a HexB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Sparkles27 wrote:
    I sometimes get a pack of the Aldi Ballymore Crust Thins, they are like slimbos but they are a HexB.

Thanks I'll get some of those. This is a brilliant thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cavan Bear

Does anyone know if any magazines have offers for joining? On the site it says special offer save 9 euro. Pay 9 to join and 9t for class making it a total of 18 on your first night...,is that right? I would have thought that it was 18 euro on first night anyway without a special offer?
    Join by the 29th October and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only €9 to join and €9 weekly – a total of just €18 to pay on your first night! AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our of our Festive Feasts cookbook, saving an extra €25.95! After that bring a new member and get a week free.
    Am I misunderstanding this or has the initial fee gone up from 18 euro?
    Thank you...I am very confused lol...

Guys I am down 7lbs my first week :) I know the first week is always the biggest loss but I was so delighted when I stepped on the scales. I've been really good - no drink during the week, no more junk food and also a half hour walk from work to the luas every day instead of jumping on at my usual stop.

Made a pasta dish for dinner at the weekend and it seems to be "free" but I am not sure. Basically chopped onion and garlic with some fry lite, then added a tablespoon of tomato puree, then a cup of vegetable stock, can of chick peas, can of kidney beans, can of sweetcorn and a dash of chilli. Cooked penne separately then mixed together at the end. Really filling and tasty!

Also been drinking loads of water and trying to snack on fruit.

Edit: in Tesco they have bagels now that are like "half bagels". They basically look like a bagel that has been walked on lol, but I imagine they are not as full of dough. I haven't had a chance to syn them but I might have a look later.

Guys I am down 7lbs my first week :) I know the first week is always the biggest loss but I was so delighted when I stepped on the scales. I've been really good - no drink during the week, no more junk food and also a half hour walk from work to the luas every day instead of jumping on at my usual stop.

Made a pasta dish for dinner at the weekend and it seems to be "free" but I am not sure. Basically chopped onion and garlic with some fry lite, then added a tablespoon of tomato puree, then a cup of vegetable stock, can of chick peas, can of kidney beans, can of sweetcorn and a dash of chilli. Cooked penne separately then mixed together at the end. Really filling and tasty!

Edit: in Tesco they have bagels now that are like "half bagels". They basically look like a bagel that has been walked on lol, but I imagine they are not as full of dough. I haven't had a chance to syn them but I might have a look later.

Well done on your 7lb loss, thats fantastic!! That pasta dish is free going by the list of ingredients you've given, however I'd add more speed to make it your 1/3, it sounds yummy though!

Did you get the brand of the bagels, as I'd be very careful as even ones that look innocent enough can be high in syns and not a healthy extra. I eat bagels made by 'fitzgeralds' and they are a healthy extra and are really nice.
    Again well done on your first week!

m'lady wrote: »
    Well done on your 7lb loss, thats fantastic!! That pasta dish is free going by the list of ingredients you've given, however I'd add more speed to make it your 1/3, it sounds yummy though!

Did you get the brand of the bagels, as I'd be very careful as even ones that look innocent enough can be high in syns and not a healthy extra. I eat bagels made by 'fitzgeralds' and they are a healthy extra and are really nice.
    Again well done on your first week!

Adding speed is that more veg? That makes sense alright :) I didn't get the brand to be honest. I know someone in work on SW told me before there are certain wraps that can have as many as 10 syns too, whereas I always assumed they were lower than bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

This past week probably has been one of my worst. After losing most of my holiday gain last Monday, I just never got back on track for the rest of the week. We had two bake sales at work (of course, I have to try what I bake :/), then at the weekend we went home and ate our 3 times-tried to make the best of choices but when not cooking it yourself, you don't have control as to how it's being cooked.
    Back to it now and hoping for a good week, before I have a full weekend off plan for friends visiting for the Jazz Festival. Have weigh in tonight and expecting a gain but will just have to try harder this week coming (and no baking thank god)

Adding speed is that more veg? That makes sense alright :) I didn't get the brand to be honest. I know someone in work on SW told me before there are certain wraps that can have as many as 10 syns too, whereas I always assumed they were lower than bread!

Yes, more vegetables that are under the speed list in the book. The onion you added is speed, however sweetcorn isn't. SW encourage you to eat 1/3 of speed in each meal. Yes, wraps can be very high in syns, I think there are ones called 'be free' or something like that that are a healthy extra.
    Are you going to a class or doing it from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

Well done on your 7lb loss. I joined sw in March and weighted in at 14st 6lbs, I was devastated!! I'm now 11st 9.5lbs and at target for the last month. That's a loss of 2st 10.5lbs. It's a fantastic plan and now a way of life for me. I know it's tough at the start cos you just want the weight to go. It will...it just takes time. Set yourself mini targets like 7lbs at a time and that way the mountain won't seem so high. Enjoy the journey and best of luck with it, you're off to a great start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DivineMsM

I am back.. I was here last year for a while. I joined up 2 weeks ago. Just had a disaster of a weekend. I just cant get my head into the right place at all. Anyone got any words of wisdom?? Feeling very depressed about it all.

DivineMsM wrote:
    I am back.. I was here last year for a while. I joined up 2 weeks ago. Just had a disaster of a weekend. I just cant get my head into the right place at all. Anyone got any words of wisdom?? Feeling very depressed about it all.

Welcome back!
    The day after a big weekend is really tough. Be nice to yourself, you've made the decision to get back on track and it's not a race! Take the time to plan your next few days meals and shop for them, and something hearty and comforting for dinner this evening. I had a bit of a bad weekend too, off plan for a couple of meals, so today I'm planning a big bowl of pasta w.ith steak and speedy tomato sauce and heaps of peppers. Perfectly on plan but I'm so looking forward to it, and a sprinkling of dried parmesan which works out at a fraction of a syn but adds a touch of comfort and luxury to it!
    The cold weather is a great excuse to try out some new soup and stew recipes, warming stuff that you will look forward to.
    Have you sat in on the new members talk again, read your book again, signed up for the countdown that includes a free recipe book? All of these can be great motivators.
    Also think of how well you will look and feel in a few weeks time if you bite the bullet and stick with it now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DivineMsM

Ah thanks Dee.
    I have a freezer and fridge full of SW friendly food. I know exactly what to do. My problem is just doing it!
    I still see over eating and take aways and bad choices as 'treating myself', they are the easy option.
    I know deep down that the bad choices are making me feel crap- both psychologically and physically. But I am finding it desperately difficult to stick with it for more than a few days at a time.
    I guess no-one can buy motivation, I just need to 'man up' and get on with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement