Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

Ya unfortunately, I missed the same day and had to pay double on Monday. Apparently it's to protect your weight loss. You have to book a holiday in advance if you know you won't be able to go, unless you work shift and can get an allowance. Now the fact the class time was changed would leave you something to argue with, as it wasn't in your control, but in general, missed class without a holiday booked will have you paying double

In fairness to SW, on the aspect of missing classes, so long as you weigh in each week, you won't be charged for missing a week.

(for example, you go on a monday at 7pm, but the class is moved to 1pm, and you can't make it, if you weigh in at any SW group in the country, at any time, in that week, then you don't get charged for missing a class, because, even though you went to a different class, you still weighed in that week).

The idea is that you'll 'face the scales' even if you don't want to, cos it's gonna cost you, either way. (rather than skipping a week where you think you'll gain, and not having a second thought about it cos it's not costing you anything). And skipping the 'hard weeks' is usually what leads into not going ever again.

So although it seems a bit money-grabbing, I can see where they're coming from with it and I actually think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I'm the exact same as you! I've joined Slimming World about 6 times, I did so well the first time about 3 years ago, lost 1.5stone and it was amazing! then I got cocky and got into the mindset of "I know what I'm doing, I don't need slimming world"... and then I put on all of the weight again!!!:rolleyes:

I'm 23 weeks back in and 8lbs down! I'm taking the pi$$, still have another stone until target and it's just so annoying because life gets in the way.. or I'm just letting it get in the way!

I'm on the instagram bandwagon too, posting everything that passes my lips (even the bad stuff) and it really helps as a virtual food diary! Would definitely recommend people to do it, you get so many tips and tricks from people! loads of great sw insta accounts out there and some UNREAL losses to keep you motivated!

I actually could of written this whole thing myself. I am a serial dieter as it is. I will have 'I'll start Monday' will be written on my headstone. I've a good stone - stone and a half to lose! Life gets in the way for me too. There's always some night out or weekend away or wedding or christening or wedding.

I just keep thinking I do not want to feel like this at Christmas so if I can get down about 7lbs between now and then I'd be delighted! Whats your insta page called and I'll give you a follow! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I didn't know about it and it was only my third week so they let me off but I had no clue I was going to have to pay and didn't have the cash with me so if they hadn't let me off it would of been embarrassing!
    Can I book missed weeks online? As I go away quiet a lot during the year. Also does the week go Mon-Sun like if I cant weigh in on a Monday and go a Saturday does that count as a different week or the same week?

If you work shift then you should mention it. The new rules are you can only book holidays in class with your card. As far as I know the week runs Monday to Sunday so you would be ok going on the Saturday, but double check that.

Ya the week runs from Monday to Sunday so you have up until Saturday to get a missed class in for that week

Ya the week runs from Monday to Sunday so you have up until Saturday to get a missed class in for that week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Good to know as I had no clue about paying if you miss or booking holidays off as I'm going away the first week in December.
    I work all bank holidays and they move the class from 7pm(the only late class)) to 1pm on bank holidays so I'll never be able to make it. Will this be deducted from my 6 weeks holiday?

Can you not go to another class? I'd imagine the fact that it's on at a different time then you could argue your case. I go to a Monday class and it's on at the usual time, but she usually is there early for those that just want to weigh and go..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

All the classes are Mon/Tues early except for the 7.30 class on Mondays which doesn't run on bank holidays but I work 10-6 everyday so cant make a different one

I usually go to the 5:30 on a Monday class. I work shifts though and the consultant is aware so if I'm working on a Monday I just let her know and go to the Tuesday morning 9:30 class instead. If I can't make the Mon or Tue I just go to another class in a different location some other day that week. There are lots around the area. There is a section on the app that lists all the clases. There is a class on somewhere almost every morning and evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you let her know in advance that you can't make classes around bank holidays because of work your consultant is very likely to find a way around making you pay for the missed session. In my experience if you are consistently attending group consultants are very amenable about the occasional missed session that's beyond your control. Chat to her about it and ye will sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Will be joining this evening after months of procrastination. Genuinely terrified I won't stick to it but I'm going to do my best. I have nothing (except weight) to lose at this stage, and frankly, I'm desperate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I joined July 2015 and reached my target 4st loss in September. There is nothing to be nervous about. Everyone is in the same boat. Stay for class, ask questions and if your consultant has a facebook group join up and share your stories. You can do it WhiteRoses because you deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Greenduck wrote: »
    I actually could of written this whole thing myself. I am a serial dieter as it is. I will have 'I'll start Monday' will be written on my headstone. I've a good stone - stone and a half to lose! Life gets in the way for me too. There's always some night out or weekend away or wedding or christening or wedding.

I just keep thinking I do not want to feel like this at Christmas so if I can get down about 7lbs between now and then I'd be delighted! Whats your insta page called and I'll give you a follow! :)

Yep that's me!! That elusive Monday never seems to come though... :D Stop, like I keep going in circles of being really annoyed with myself for going loose on nights out, meals out, putting on weight, then I tell myself that I'm going to be SO GOOD... then dinner and drinks will pop up and immediately "Treat yoself" comes into my mind! :rolleyes:

It's a constant battle of wanting to lose weight but also not miss out on anything! I know I can do both with slimming world if I make the right adjustments but I need to just get my head in the game!

my insta is swbecki (don't know if I'm allowed say it on this!) what's yours?

Yep that's me!! That elusive Monday never seems to come though... :D Stop, like I keep going in circles of being really annoyed with myself for going loose on nights out, meals out, putting on weight, then I tell myself that I'm going to be SO GOOD... then dinner and drinks will pop up and immediately "Treat yoself" comes into my mind! :rolleyes:

It's a constant battle of wanting to lose weight but also not miss out on anything! I know I can do both with slimming world if I make the right adjustments but I need to just get my head in the game!

my insta is swbecki (don't know if I'm allowed say it on this!) what's yours?

I swear to god we're the same person! I love food and eating and I've noticed that most of celebrations revolve around food. Its what me and my family do, its what me and my boyfriend and friends do! Its just everywhere. I Like the flexibility that SW gives although I think some of it is flawed to a certain extent.

It works and thats what I have to keep in mind. Just added you there! We're aiming for similar weights! :D My username is swgreenduck (so original) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Made SW pasta carbonara tonight for dinner. It's gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Greenduck wrote: »
    I swear to god we're the same person! I love food and eating and I've noticed that most of celebrations revolve around food. Its what me and my family do, its what me and my boyfriend and friends do! Its just everywhere. I Like the flexibility that SW gives although I think some of it is flawed to a certain extent.

It works and thats what I have to keep in mind. Just added you there! We're aiming for similar weights! :D My username is swgreenduck (so original) :)

I'm so glad someone else is in the same boat as me!!! Yeah I'm just greedy, I want everything - a social life without cutting anything out, 3 course meals with wine and drinks after, fab weekend brunches.. AND also losing 1-2lbs every week :D:D I wonder why I'm being let down every week:rolleyes: Fab added you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

Being following the thread for the last 3 months, its coming off slow and steady but ive fallen off the wagon the last 2 months. ive lost 11lb, any tips to get back on track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Take a little bit of time to re-read your handbook and plan your meals for a few days. Focus on getting the speed foods in. For example if you fancy a piece of fruit choose an apple instead of grapes. I reached my 4st target last month and still have the handbook going around with me. Good luck. If I can do it anyone can!

-1.5lbs down on my 1st week. Bit disappointed as I always think thats the week to get a decent loss. Hopefully it'll be better next week! :)

Sorry to be annoying but could anyone tell me how many syns I had today? Have no book, I left it at my mams house so I've just been winging it.

Breakfast:
    1 muller light smooth toffee yoghurt
    10 grapes, 6 strawberries

Lunch:
    Whole meal wrap with a spoon of pesto, Cajun chicken, mixed peppers and lettuce.
    1 glenisk small strawberry Greek yoghurt

Dinner:
    The same wrap as lunch time again.

Snacks:
    Banana, 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate

2ltr of water

I'm very new to the plan, only started last week so don't know the rules off the top of my head yet.
    Won't get a chance to collect my book till Saturday so if what I had today is easy on the syns I'll just have the same again tomorrow.

TIA for any replies :)

Hi WhiteRoses. I don't have access to the website at the moment to check syns but here's a few questions you can answer that will help work out your syn total for the day.
    What brand/size was the wrap?
    What brand was the cajun chicken or how did you make it?
    What brand/type of pesto did you use and what size of spoon (teaspoon, dessertspoon, tablespoon etc)
    Was the Glenisk full, low fat or fat free?
    What weight did the 2 squares of dark chocolate come to?
    You didn't get your healthy A choice (milk etc) and may or may not have got your healthy B (depending on the type of wrap you used)

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi WhiteRoses. I don't have access to the website at the moment to check syns but here's a few questions you can answer that will help work out your syn total for the day.
    What brand/size was the wrap?
    What brand was the cajun chicken or how did you make it?
    What brand/type of pesto did you use and what size of spoon (teaspoon, dessertspoon, tablespoon etc)
    Was the Glenisk full, low fat or fat free?
    What weight did the 2 squares of dark chocolate come to?
    You didn't get your healthy A choice (milk etc) and may or may not have got your healthy B (depending on the type of wrap you used)

Thank you so much for replying!

The wrap was a whole meal BFree one, as far as I know I can use it for healthy B.
    The pesto was the tesco own brand and I used a heaped table spoon.
    The chicken was cooked chicken breast with Cajun seasoning.
    The glenisk was fat free. No idea of the weight of the chocolate I'm afraid.
    I had 4/5 cups of tea with a drop of skimmed milk in each (no sugar) so I think I got my healthy A from that.

Should really have given more info in my OP, sorry :o

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thank you so much for replying!

The wrap was a whole meal BFree one, as far as I know I can use it for healthy B.
    The pesto was the tesco own brand and I used a heaped table spoon.
    The chicken was cooked chicken breast with Cajun seasoning.
    The glenisk was fat free. No idea of the weight of the chocolate I'm afraid.
    I had 4/5 cups of tea with a drop of skimmed milk in each (no sugar) so I think I got my healthy A from that.

Should really have given more info in my OP, sorry :o

Not to worry it's hard to get to grips with the plan, you'll get there very soon!
    Unfortunately from memory pesto (green) is 3.5 syns per level tablespoon, so you're looking at at least 6-7 syns per heaped tablespoon.
    The chicken is free assuming you used Frylight rather than regular oil.
    A square of dark choc would be in the region of 2 syns but obviously depends on the bar.
    Can't help re yogurt or wrap syns, sorry.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Not to worry it's hard to get to grips with the plan, you'll get there very soon!
    Unfortunately from memory pesto (green) is 3.5 syns per level tablespoon, so you're looking at at least 6-7 syns per heaped tablespoon.
    The chicken is free assuming you used Frylight rather than regular oil.
    A square of dark choc would be in the region of 2 syns but obviously depends on the bar.
    Can't help re yogurt or wrap syns, sorry.

Thanks so much, it was the pesto I was worried about but I was willing to take chances on the rest. Will continue with it tomorrow and aim for a syn free weekend to make up for it. Thanks so much for your help :)

• Advertisement

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thanks so much, it was the pesto I was worried about but I was willing to take chances on the rest. Will continue with it tomorrow and aim for a syn free weekend to make up for it. Thanks so much for your help :)

No worries at all, glad to help a small bit!
    Maybe you could ring your mam and ask her to read out your personal code thingy from your book, then you could set up your SW profile online and have access to the syn checker? I found it invaluable when doing the grocery shopping before I settled in to the plan.
    Good luck with it and if you've any more questions fire them up here! I'm a lapsed member hovering a few pounds over my target range but planning to rejoin in the next few weeks so will doubtless have questions of my own once I get back on track properly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement