Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hi all,

Am considering joining slimming world as I'd love to loose 1.5- 2 stone. I'm getting married next July and am struggling to loose weight due to having an underactive thyroid so am wondering if slimming world might be the way to go. Just looking for the basic low down on what it entails eg. what happens at meetings, how it fits into your everyday life etc? I looked at the website but would love some first hand accounts of what it's like :)

Hi everyone. I'm already planning my post Christmas diet so I was thinking I'll give Slimming World a shot. The thing is I can't get to meetings, I was thinking about buying the books on eBay and going from there and doing it at home. There seems to be a starter pack for sale that has 6 small books in it.
    Would that be enough for me to get my head around it and get to grips with it? Do you need to buy the food guide tolo? Is it worth it?

I got the books online too and do it from home and am getting on fine. There's a number of Facebook groups etc online which can help provide support if you need it, and get meal ideas! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I got the books online too and do it from home and am getting on fine. There's a number of Facebook groups etc online which can help provide support if you need it, and get meal ideas! :)

That's brilliant Piratequeen, thank you!
    What books do you recommend? I see the food guide(which is expensive!) and the starter pack on ebay. Do I need more than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

jellybear wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am considering joining slimming world as I'd love to loose 1.5- 2 stone. I'm getting married next July and am struggling to loose weight due to having an underactive thyroid so am wondering if slimming world might be the way to go. Just looking for the basic low down on what it entails eg. what happens at meetings, how it fits into your everyday life etc? I looked at the website but would love some first hand accounts of what it's like :)

Hi Jellybear,
    I have an underactive thyroid and I reached my target in 8 months, after losing 3 stone and going from a size 16-18 to a 10-12, so it's achievable with an underactive thyroid, it just goes off a little bit slower!
    You have approximately 6 months to lose 1.5-2 stone, so I'd imagine you'd be well able.
    How bad is your thyroid? I'm on 200mcg of eltroxin everyday...

When you first join you have a 'newbies' meeting first with the consultant. Then you sit in with the class and she goes around everybody and has a chat with them, how they did (they never say your weight) etc.
    After that if you decide to join- you pay, get your books and get weighed. From then on in, you will arrive at the class, get weighed and then wait for the class to start!

I find it fits in pretty well with my daily life, are you talkimg about eating out etc?

Anyway sorry for the long reply!

Hi m'lady, thanks so much for the reply! I'm on 50 mcg eltroxin daily so not too high a dose although I've been fluctuating between under and over active lately so trying to find the right dose!

Can I be awfully thick and ask what happens in the class, is it just a weigh in and then chat and how long they last etc? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi m'lady, thanks so much for the reply! I'm on 50 mcg eltroxin daily so not too high a dose although I've been fluctuating between under and over active lately so trying to find the right dose!

Can I be awfully thick and ask what happens in the class, is it just a weigh in and then chat and how long they last etc? Thanks!

Yes you just get weighed and then in the class the consultant just goes around to everybody and asks how they got on, if they any questions etc. From start to finish it would last about an hour, depending on the size of the class!

Perfect! Thanks a million for the info! Will be joining this journey soon so, just need to sign up now :)

Perfect! Thanks a million for the info! Will be joining this journey soon so, just need to sign up now :)

No problem at all. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or even would like a bit of support!

That's brilliant Piratequeen, thank you!
    What books do you recommend? I see the food guide(which is expensive!) and the starter pack on ebay. Do I need more than that?

I just got the starter pack! You really only need the food optimising book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Ended up at a christening Saturday which ran into the early hours of the morning with a lot of drink drank and food ate. This month is so so hard. Weigh in tonight and not looking forward to it

It's a very hard month to follow slimming world, everything is chocolate or drink! I went food shopping there on Saturday and between Aldi having chocolates at their tills for customers and then SuperValu giving samples of Baileys I could have used up my syns in that half hour!
    I've my weigh in tonight too, and depending on how it goes I *might* be getting my diamond award... eeek!
    Anyway good luck with your weigh in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

bad two weeks at a bad time , i had flu all last week didnt eat great , literally lived of digestive bickies and cream crackers , then we were away at the weekend so eat out a good few times.

Didn make it to group last week what with being sick, sweating it now that i'll be up 4 or 5 lbs now right before christmas and we go to disney land for new years have a sinking feeling im going to be unraveling allot of good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Down 2 pounds after a very indulgent two weeks!!!! Wtf! However I had one less top than normal on me so I'm not sure if its a legit measuring haha

In the morning, same time, naked after going to the loo, is the only legit measurement.

Also it should be the average of a weeks weigh ins I.e add your weight for seven days and divide by seven

Too many things can skew a once off measurement like hydration and sodium levels

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bellabella123

Hi, I've been going to Slimming World for over 3 months now. I eventually for my 1 stone award!! But judging by my own scales, and how I feel, I'd say I've put on at least 2 pounds this weekðŸ™!! I'll weigh in at group but I'm usually right bu how I feel.

I think I need to stop eating bread as my Hex B as it doesn't help. At least I'm keeping an eye on my weight heading into Christmas!! If I could maintain over Christmas I'd be over the moon!!

I'm going to weigh in both of the groups at Christmas and New Uear as that will keep me on track. It's really good SW is open 52 weeks a year to protect our weight loss!

Good luck to everyone over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rosie Gold

Down 2 pounds after a very indulgent two weeks!!!! Wtf! However I had one less top than normal on me so I'm not sure if its a legit measuring haha

It's baffling isn't it. I was convinced I had gained last week but no. The two weeks before, I was as good as gold food wise and I exercised loads but combined I only lost the same in those 2 weeks as I did in one week last week. The group leader reckons it was the good work I put in in the good 2 weeks that helped me lose weight in my bad week last week. Who knows really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Rosie Gold wrote: »
    It's baffling isn't it. I was convinced I had gained last week but no. The two weeks before, I was as good as gold food wise and I exercised loads but combined I only lost the same in those 2 weeks as I did in one week last week. The group leader reckons it was the good work I put in in the good 2 weeks that helped me lose weight in my bad week last week. Who knows really.

Honestly this happens to me all the time! I could be exactly the same food/exercise week after week and go up or down anything from .5 to 1.5 for no reason that I can see! I'm a target member so it's not as frustrating when I'm not paying for the privilege lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rosie Gold

What exactly is a target member?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but it's basically if you have met your target and you have stayed 3 pounds either side of your target, you can go to the classes for free.

My target is a stone off so once I have the stone off, I can go for free but I'm planning to make another target then so I'm not quite sure how it'll work if I go for another target.

• Advertisement

One you get to your target weight you become a target member. Your target zone/range is 3lbs either side of the target and once you stay within that you don't have to pay. You can also have an extra hex a/b but I find it makes me gain if I have them too often so would have the extra one one or twice a week at most.

Well I got my Diamond award last night, along with a beautiful bunch of flowers!
    Was delighted, as needed to lose 0.5lb but lost 1.5lb.. happy days!

Rosie Gold wrote: »
    Others can correct me if I'm wrong but it's basically if you have met your target and you have stayed 3 pounds either side of your target, you can go to the classes for free.

My target is a stone off so once I have the stone off, I can go for free but I'm planning to make another target then so I'm not quite sure how it'll work if I go for another target.

Your correct. In regards to you, when you reach your target, don't change it until you go under it by more than 3lbs, that way you will get a week or two free or charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

m'lady wrote: »
    Your correct. In regards to you, when you reach your target, don't change it until you go under it by more than 3lbs, that way you will get a week or two free or charge!

What's the story with re-setting the target for a target member?

What's the story with re-setting the target for a target member?

You can just change it, I always thought it had to be in 7lb increments but my consultant allowed me to change mine by 3lbs last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

1 off two weeks ago, 2 off last week, 1.5 off tonight. Chuffed.

Wedding Friday and Christmas party Saturday but I'm hoping I'll get 0.5 off next week even with those events :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yeah I was away for a couple of nights, perfectly on plan the first day, very very sick that night (touch of food poisoning I think?!) and just couldn't stick to plan after that. Was just eating whatever I could face so on the whole not terrible but that did include a chocolate chip cookie the size of my head :D
    Home since last night and back on the wagon today but still don't feel right :(

Guys can anyone at target confirm... say I go out of target twice do I get a grace week the second time or do you only get that the first time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement