Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I'm the same really PT. My dinner is 2 syns tomorrow and I wouldn't be much for chocolate or sweets anyway but I know the cheese and gin will be my issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm the same really PT. My dinner is 2 syns tomorrow and I wouldn't be much for chocolate or sweets anyway but I know the cheese and gin will be my issue!

Cheese, wine, beer and crisps will be my problem, but sure one day won't kill me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭jellybear

Well SW is starting up tomorrow with introductory offers etc and I'm really edgy about joining. Any words of wisdom for me?? I don't know what I'm afraid of, silly really because I won't know if it'll work for me until I try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi jellybear!
    I say try it. Joining slimming world is probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.
    I'm not following the plan right now because christmas and I fancied just relaxing things quite a bit, but the beauty of it is that I know I'll slip back into my good routine that works for me and lose the inevitable gain over the coming weeks.
    Go along to group, see what you think of it, give it 100% for a week and see how you go. Don't put it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Only up 2lbs today. Happy with that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lagertha

Lost 4 pounds last week but pretty sure I've gained all 4 back plus more this week. I have not stopped eating! Back on plan tomorrow (as much as I can, staying with family so I don't have a lot of choice over the main meals but I imagine stopping the 5 packs of crisps a day habit I've suddenly developed might help!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Hello all I'd a baby 9 months ago finally my weight has settled not good time to join slimming world just wondering my little boy is going through weaning so is it easy or hard to do with a baby I'll probably start at a meeting but end up doing online group as heading back to work soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

Can't wait to get back on track Wednesday after weigh in. Have been eating all around me the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Weighed in today after being off last week, and eating all of the things over the last month. Was up 5lbs, which is disappointing but actually not that bad considering. Does anybody do those extra easy SP days? How do they work? I'd really like to get back on track asap and I figure doing a week or two of the SP thing and then every other day SP might be the way to go.

Weight can vary a lot during the week- time of day, whether you've eaten recently, how much water you've drank, been to the loo, hormones etc all affect weight. For the best accuracy you should weigh yourself at the same time in the same place every week.

Weighed in today after being off last week, and eating all of the things over the last month. Was up 5lbs, which is disappointing but actually not that bad considering. Does anybody do those extra easy SP days? How do they work? I'd really like to get back on track asap and I figure doing a week or two of the SP thing and then every other day SP might be the way to go.
    I've done it for a day or two but not a full week! They're actually ok with the 2x HEBs but you need to plan your meals in advance to make it work, if I've to make a quick meal it's hard to think of something that doesn't involve pasta/rice/potatoes! I think I'd struggle to do it for a full week because I'm a veggie and would miss the carbs too much, and I cook for me and my bf and it's hard enough to get him to eat speed foods without serving him up an entire plate of them :P

What do you use for protein then on the SP days? I'm also veggie, and was thinking of lentil stews and casseroles with loads of beans etc for the SP days? I didn't realise you get an extra HexB for them though, that's very handy!

What do you use for protein then on the SP days? I'm also veggie, and was thinking of lentil stews and casseroles with loads of beans etc for the SP days? I didn't realise you get an extra HexB for them though, that's very handy!
    Yeah the extra HEB is really helpful! I even make pizza for SP days sometimes using wholemeal bread mix from Aldi :P but yeah protein is usually lots of beans, lentils, chickpeas, eggs or sometimes quorn. Chilli is a good one to make, as are omelettes and quiche. I find butternut squash is a good potato substitute too- can roast chunks of it or make chips out of it :)

Brilliant, thanks a mill! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Nice suggestions PQ. I've mostly transitioned to a veggie based diet since mid-December. My saviours are lentils, white beans and peas for protein. My favourite lunch or side dish at the moment is a modified version of SW's baked bean recipe. I've tried but I really cannot stomach quorn at all. Any time I cook with quorn it ends up being quite soggy or something.

Nice suggestions PQ. I've mostly transitioned to a veggie based diet since mid-December. My saviours are lentils, white beans and peas for protein. My favourite lunch or side dish at the moment is a modified version of SW's baked bean recipe. I've tried but I really cannot stomach quorn at all. Any time I cook with quorn it ends up being quite soggy or something.
    Yeah I mostly only use quorn out of convenience it's handy to have in the freezer for busy days. I find the mince is good to chuck into chilli or bolognaise. Tbh I could be better at incorporating beans and pulses into my diet, most days I rely on dairy for my protein! And I've been veggie half my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

i've tried but I really cannot stomach quorn at all. Any time I cook with quorn it ends up being quite soggy or something.

I'm the same! I've been veggie 20 years and I just can't stand the texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

If you look at the wonky spatula blog, she has some good meat free recipes which would be slimming world friendly! She had "mince" from blitzed cauliflower and courgetti for a veggie spag bol ☺

• Advertisement

I bought myself a nice veggie cookbook for Christmas which I haven't browsed through properly so will hopefully find some new inspiration in there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

Weighted in today and up 4 and half pounds. That's it now....fresh start. Was below target last week so it gave me a bit of room to indulge. It's amazing how quickly the weight comes back on when not eating according to the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Joined tonight, wish me luck!! Would somebody mind telling me ... I heard them talking about brogies (spelling??), what are they???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    Joined tonight, wish me luck!! Would somebody mind telling me ... I heard them talking about brogies (spelling??), what are they???

Good luck, you won't regret it, feel free to ask any questions as it can be a little confusing at the start.
    Brogies are round 'cracotte' type cracker things, they are alright, I found them a bit bland to be honest. I think they are 0.5 syn each? They can be found near the bread in the supermarkets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Just saw a warning on my SW Facebook page about syns in cough medicines and lemsips. I'm actually fuming about it. Surely your health is more important than a few syns. Obviously a packet of soothers is going to have syns but like is it not more important to take cold/flu medication if you're unwell rather than not take them to save syns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wellyd wrote: »
    Just saw a warning on my SW Facebook page about syns in cough medicines and lemsips. I'm actually fuming about it. Surely your health is more important than a few syns. Obviously a packet of soothers is going to have syns but like is it not more important to take cold/flu medication if you're unwell rather than not take them to save syns.

I know it drives me mad! Like FFS your health is more important!?!?
    I haven't weighed in 6 weeks with holidays before Christmas and then Christmas itself and don't plan on weighing until Monday week (target member and don't want to weigh and be out of target lol) so am going to be booted from my group's FB - I don't mind that much lol :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    I know it drives me mad! Like FFS your health is more important!?!?
    I haven't weighed in 6 weeks with holidays before Christmas and then Christmas itself and don't plan on weighing until Monday week (target member and don't want to weigh and be out of target lol) so am going to be booted from my group's FB - I don't mind that much lol :pac:
    Some aspects of SW like you described I don't like. While for the most part it focuses on healthy eating, I think it could educate people about nutrition better too, instead of encouraging people to eat loads of processed crap like mugshots. I think when I hit my target I'm going to try eat more healthy fats too, I miss avacadoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I joined Wednesday. I'm trying to get my head around the fact I can eat unlimited pasta and rice but a slice of brown bread is a syn. Also can't understand why normal dairy is a healthy extra but non dairy alternatives have to be syned. I'm going to try it for a week and see how it goes.

Eta: the leader said the daily syn allowance was 5-15 but didn't give me a specific number. Does that mean you can use up to 15 per day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I thought it was just a quarter or third of a plate of pasta and rice was allowed? Isn't that what food optimisng is on the SW plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Some aspects of SW like you described I don't like. While for the most part it focuses on healthy eating, I think it could educate people about nutrition better too, instead of encouraging people to eat loads of processed crap like mugshots. I think when I hit my target I'm going to try eat more healthy fats too, I miss avacadoes!

Yeah I agree! I stopped using frylight because it was wrecking everything and mullers too because they're so sugary and just didn't agree with me. That 1syn for real oil on my chips is worth it :pac: Breakfast most days for me is officially a tweak - quinoa porridge but eating a sandwich made form 2" thick slices of boxty is perfectly ok so I'll enjoy my quinoa :rolleyes:

eviltwin wrote: »
    Eta: the leader said the daily syn allowance was 5-15 but didn't give me a specific number. Does that mean you can use up to 15 per day?

Yep you can have the full 15! :)
    I thought it was just a quarter or third of a plate of pasta and rice was allowed? Isn't that what food optimisng is on the SW plan?
    No it's 1/3 officially - basing that on 1/3 speed so that leaves 1/3 each for protein and carbs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement