Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Pretty much, except women's sizes are fairly BS and not standardised between shops (or even between clothes all made by the same shop).

Ditto for Men's you can be 32inch waist in some jeans/trousers in places like Dunnes or M&S, but that's 34 in Pennys ,Diesel or Jack Jones and 36 in River Island , Superdry and H&M. T-shirts the same length and with can be an issue, at my target i can wear a medium in terms of fit from most places but i'm 6'2 and have a 40inc chest/ shoulders so a medium in places Like Superdry and Riverisland ends up being to short and too narrow

Ditto for Men's you can be 32inch waist in some jeans/trousers in places like Dunnes or M&S, but that's 34 in Pennys ,Diesel or Jack Jones and 36 in River Island , Superdry and H&M. T-shirts the same length and with can be an issue, at my target i can wear a medium in terms of fit from most places but i'm 6'2 and have a 40inc chest/ shoulders so a medium in places Like Superdry and Riverisland ends up being to short and too narrow

That makes sense for S/M/L sizes that they're not standard but you'd expect clothes sized by actual measurements to be the same! Dunno why we allow shops away with this :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Went back today after my Christmas blowout and STS. I know I really reigned it in for the last week but definitely thought I would've been up a few pounds. I usually treat myself tonight but I've a big meal at the weekend so I'm saving myself for a huge dessert then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I haven't been to group since just before Christmas but I know I'm slightly up, and I've just finished booking a holiday to New York for the first week in Feb so need to get into damage limitation mode now - time to lose enough that I'm comfortable in all my clothes before going, because they will probably be tight by the time I get back! Having said that, all jokes aside, I usually lose a pound or two during a stay in the US because of all the walking, but I really need to get back on track now because the Christmas excuse is wearing thin at this stage :D

Bit the bullet and went last night , was only up 3 after Chritmas and Disneyland can't complain too much with that was beyond off plan for the last 3 weeks
    That makes sense for S/M/L sizes that they're not standard but you'd expect clothes sized by actual measurements to be the same! Dunno why we allow shops away with this :P

Its a pure head wreck if the size is an actual measurement it should conform to an actual standard. I bought 3 suits in November for interviews , a wedding i was going to and my own wedding id say my weight varied up and down by 2lbs or 3lbs tops in between buys .... but ended up with 42" Reg , 40" Reg and 38" Reg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Went last night and lost 1lb. I'm happy enough with that. One aspect of the group I didn't like was the leader going around one by one asking people how they did. If I'd gained I would have found that very embarrassing. She also heaped praise on a girl who lost 8lbs this week even though she said she ate little more than fruit and veg. I don't know if large weight losses are something to be celebrating especially if they are done by cutting out food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

This is why I stopped going to class, I stay get weighed and leave. The class was taking almost two hours to get around to everyone

I've found the classes have gotten ridiculously clique-y. I'm just weighing and going for the last 6 months because sitting and listening to the same (very loud) voices every week was of no benefit to me.

Wellyd wrote: »
    I've found the classes have gotten ridiculously clique-y. I'm just weighing and going for the last 6 months because sitting and listening to the same (very loud) voices every week was of no benefit to me.

Can be good some weeks for the odd tipp here and there but for the most part it can be a bit waffly , that said our leader is great and sets allot of great mini challanges that kinda mix it up and keep it fresh , not repetitive like. not going to stay much until mid February when the new year new me brigade are back on there takeouts 3 nights a weeks and forget all about SW , the class size was massive last night and talking to my OH after the new member talk went on for an age as well, our class only starts at half 7 was after 11 when she got in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wellyd wrote: »

I find the same. Also once you get to target it's like 'you're maintaining..' NEXT - Yes I'm maintaining but maybe I expect a loss or maybe I'm struggling a bit or maybe I was on hols and lost that 4lbs but I don't get a mention..:rolleyes: Weight and run i think on monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Very well put. Also some of us aren't going in with stones and stones to loose. My target was 1st 8.5 - no way was I ever having big losses! I've found the people who get the big losses often get frustrated when they don't keep getting them and they disappear soon after!

Yeah I've only about 6-7kg left to lose so it comes off slow. I don't go to classes for the reasons people mentioned above (and I don't have the time or money) but I'm a member of a few online groups. I think SW is the best diet programme on offer by the industry, but I do take it with a healthy dose of scepticism! I find having a structure for meal planning is helpful and saves me from weighing everything I eat which I've tried and failed on many times. But when I reach target I'm going to mix it up, reintroduce the healthy foods SW restricts!

I'm half way through a 60/70 pound weight loss so I don't mind sticking with the classes until I am done but you've touched on an important point - what you do after target.

I totally don't believe you have to stick to SW with 1 measly healthy extra, I'd snap or attend meetings or else you pile it all back on which is what my consultant said that if you don't stay as a target member you'll regain, BS because if you regain then you haven't dealt with the why of your weight gain, didn't change habits for good or didn't check in on your weight often enough. I think I'll be okay at maintaining as I will weigh myself at least once a month, at the most every 2 weeks and once I gain correct it easily, I think it makes a difference that I don't dread the scales anymore or fear gaining because that's what kept me from keeping my weight under control before.

Yeah exactly, I mean if as soon as you reach target and you leave and go back to eating takeaway every other night then yeah I expect you'll regain but if you eat roughly the same SW meals with a bit more dairy, bread/cereals and healthy fats I think you should be fine! and as long as you keep an eye on your weight regularly you can spot if you're overdoing it and reign it in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

The week starts on Monday so you're actually not missing a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't know what's wrong with me. I never stick to a diet for more than a day, horrible defeatist attitude of 'it won't work for me' or 'a bit extra won't hurt'... I joined slimming world about 3 months ago but still haven't properly started.
    I just weighed myself and almost burst into tears. The weight is going up each time yet despite my panic and fear, I give up after only a few hours.

I previously had an eating disorder (7/8 years ago) and even tho I know the plan works, it still feels like it's too much food to be on a diet and I might as well not bother and just eat junk. A diet to me is no dairy or gluten and seriously restricted calories while exercising every day.

I read this thread every time it's updated and hate myself for not having the same motivation as the posters here. I always say 'I'll start tomorrow' but it never comes. I'm so unhappy in my skin, im going to the US next month on a dream trip and I'm dreading it.

I'm a size 12- 14, have about 2 stone to lose. I have no kids, and apart from working full time I have no major commitments. This should be easy for me, compared to others. I feel hopeless :( sorry for the rant but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem and how they got over it.. I'm my own worst enemy.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I don't know what's wrong with me. I never stick to a diet for more than a day, horrible defeatist attitude of 'it won't work for me' or 'a bit extra won't hurt'... I joined slimming world about 3 months ago but still haven't properly started.
    I just weighed myself and almost burst into tears. The weight is going up each time yet despite my panic and fear, I give up after only a few hours.

I previously had an eating disorder (7/8 years ago) and even tho I know the plan works, it still feels like it's too much food to be on a diet and I might as well not bother and just eat junk. A diet to me is no dairy or gluten and seriously restricted calories while exercising every day.

I read this thread every time it's updated and hate myself for not having the same motivation as the posters here. I always say 'I'll start tomorrow' but it never comes. I'm so unhappy in my skin, im going to the US next month on a dream trip and I'm dreading it.

I'm a size 12- 14, have about 2 stone to lose. I have no kids, and apart from working full time I have no major commitments. This should be easy for me, compared to others. I feel hopeless :( sorry for the rant but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem and how they got over it.. I'm my own worst enemy.
    Size 12-14 doesn't sound that big at all...I think with your history of having an eating disorder you likely still have a difficult relationship with food and a distorted self image. Have you been to a counsellor about your food/image issues? If not I would suggest you do go to one. Are you going to the SW groups every week too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

WhiteRoses wrote: »

Think of it as 21 opportunities in a week to eat the best food you can ( Breakfast, lunch and dinner), aim for as many of those 21 chances as you can to be on plan. Don't forget to have your syns too.

One meal off plan doesn't mean you've failed, nor does 20 meals off plan. It just means instead of losing weight, you might gain weight but tomorrow is a new day and you can try again.

• Advertisement

I was out last night and had a taste of cake, about half a tablespoons worth. How on earth do I syn that???!!!. On a plus side after two weeks with no sugar it tasted horrible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

The biggest thing that I realised after I joined SW was that it's not a diet, it's actually a complete lifestyle change. Begin changing small things like a sugar in your coffee to a sweetener or instead of having white bread, switch to wholemeal or switching from low fat milk to skimmed milk. I've made lots of small changes but I won't go back to where I was. Even when I'm 'off plan' I am never going to be as bad as before.
    It's the only thing that has worked for me long term and I have my treats and can still maintain my weight and lose consistently. The thing you need to think about is that fact that it's going to take hard work, it's not going to happen overnight but it's so worth it when you look back and see old photos and realise how far you've come. I started in May and have lost 2 stone 8 pounds so far and am going for 3 but will probably adjust my target and add another stone on. It's so worth it and even on these dreary January days just make as many good choices as you can!
    I feel like a new person with so much more confidence than before, it's amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

So I probably shouldn't have but I weighed myself this morning which is half way through my first week with SW and the scales have not changed at all. Maybe I am expecting too much but everyone raves about the "fabulous first week". I have been following the plan religiously. I feel very disheartened now. Is there still hope for this week? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Am I right to believe that the free foods really are free or should I be cutting out/drastically down on pasta/rice etc? I've been having lots of speed foods and really trying my best :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

I lost 2lbs in my first week, followed the plan to a tee so was a bit disappointed as any other times I tried to diet I'd lost 6/7 lbs in the first week, but at the end of the day it's still 2lbs in the right direction.

I've tried so many other kinds of diet, lost weight & gained it back twice as quickly. I think at this stage I'd rather lose the weight slowly and keep it off.

So stick at it and don't be disheartened, you may be surprised when you step on those scales! X

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Holly1123

Hi all,

I'm getting married at the end of the year and I would like to lose between 7 and 14 pounds. I don't have much weight to lose. I was considering joining slimming world but I have heard that it would be more suited to people with more weight to lose. It seems like a great plan so I just wanted some advice!

TIA x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭jellybear

I've started recently by just follwing the slimming world recipes which are all available online and bumping up my exercise so that's always an option to consider it you can't make classes aren't sure you need them, for want of a better word :)

Winnie21 wrote: »
    So I probably shouldn't have but I weighed myself this morning which is half way through my first week with SW and the scales have not changed at all. Maybe I am expecting too much but everyone raves about the "fabulous first week". I have been following the plan religiously. I feel very disheartened now. Is there still hope for this week? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Am I right to believe that the free foods really are free or should I be cutting out/drastically down on pasta/rice etc? I've been having lots of speed foods and really trying my best :(

Don't take it as gospel. I have a home scales that I use, I was very surprised that my starting weight on the home scales was exactly the same as the SW one. I weighed myself the morning of my first weigh in and my scales showed a 6lb loss, when I weighed in at class I was only down a pound. So you just don't know. Every scales is unique like that.

Like yourself I have not done this before and I think my loss was so low because I was eating too much pasta and rice. I was having huge portions and snacking on it between meals. This week I've bulked up on veg and I'm snacking on fruit so time will tell if that helps.

Don't give up. It will take a while to get used to, 4 weeks according to my leader, but it will be worth it.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement