Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I'm signing up this week.
    I've been very overweight for a long time.
    I have no discipline at all. Have never been able stick to a diet.
    I probably need a visit to a psychologist but will try slimming world first for a few weeks!
    I feel it's make or break for me at this stage.
    Nearing 40, it will only get harder and harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I probably need a visit to a psychologist but will try slimming world first for a few weeks!

Good luck with it - if you stick with the plan, it will work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Great, good for you making the decision to sign up. The best tool I took away from Slimming World was not to dwell on the what ifs and past attempts at weightloss. You're doing it now, hold on to a positive mind-frame and push forward. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Going to my first class on Thursday this week, going with a friend who has been before and lost weight for her wedding.

Bit nervous about it because I feel like I'm one of those people who will always struggle, but I've started following my SW leader on Snapchat so that's helping me feel more optimistic.

My other concern is that I hear stories of people getting big results because their diets were full of junk and take aways to begin with. Now I'm not saying that I never have a take away, but I do already cook from scratch most nights and am always careful about overdoing oil or other high fat ingredients, so a part of me is struggling to see where the weightloss is going to come from.

Another thing is exercise - I've signed up to an 8 week challenge in work (3 HIIT classes per week) so I need to ensure I'm fueling myself adequately for this. Can my plan be adjusted for this whilst still seeing results?

My other concern is that I hear stories of people getting big results because their diets were full of junk and take aways to begin with.
    I had success with weight watchers a few years ago and my diet was never as bad, mostly made up of muller yogurts.

I'm thinking lifestyle change now rather than a fad diet.
    I hope to have decent results in the first few weeks because my diet is full of junk now. I've a very long way to go.
    I need a good start to keep motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Has anyone heard in the classes if there is free sign up offers or have I missed the deadline.? Time to get back into this

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

ja1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard in the classes if there is free sign up offers or have I missed the deadline.? Time to get back into this

I think it's half price until the 21st. I got the Bella magazine to rejoin last week for free but I think that was until the 16th. I think Best magazine has it too but I'm not sure when that is on until but I think it's longer so try that.

I had my first weigh in last night and I'm down 5.5lbs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

ja1986 wrote: »

There are definitely offers in various magazines and newspapers, I just can't think which ones.
    Checked it out there- 'Reveal' magazine has a voucher from 17th-23rd January, and 'Woman's Own' from the 24th-30th January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Oh ok, thats interesting. I wouldnt say I eat that kind of stuff non stop, but certainly I do eat some of it.

I was under the impression that it was ok to eat that type of food on SW under certain circumstances, like pasta for example if it only makes up 1/3 of your plate or certain types of bread.

I'd say I have potatoes about once or twice a week at most, usually I make wedges myself at home using a small bit of olive oil which I now plan to replace with frylight.

I think at the moment I only know bits of the SW programme from following various ppl on snapchat and also from having plenty of friends following the programme. I suppose it will all be revealed to me tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I had a good weigh in last night, down 5lbs and Slimmer of the Week to boot. Very happy with that. I'm finding it much easier now that I'm over the initial hump of starting.

Joined.
    I found the amount of info provided a bit intimidating. Won't get through it for a couple of days.

And not sure that I'll stick the group. There are some very strong personalities there and it's quite a long meeting.

But I feel positive and am actually looking forward to it.

Big recommendation today was fibre 1 bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Joined.
    I found the amount of info provided a bit intimidating. Won't get through it for a couple of days.

And not sure that I'll stick the group. There are some very strong personalities there and it's quite a long meeting.

But I feel positive and am actually looking forward to it.

Big recommendation today was fibre 1 bars.

I felt that way too. Everyone seemed to know each other and they were all quite loud and I find that a bit off putting but this week I see that they are all there on the same journey so they all get to know each other well. I find the meeting goes on way too long but I always stay for the motivation.

Give yourself a bit of time to get used to how it all works....I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Also, a friend of mine tried a few different groups before settling on the one she now regularly attends. She now attends one near her work and she just finds it works better for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

It is and I still eat bread potatoes,other processed carbs and pasta but before I was only eating that kind of food so my diet wasn't balanced, I was malnourished always hungry so because I let myself get hungry all day I'd eat too much of one type of food late at night, so I didn't start SW having to cut out take aways or sweets/crisps I was just adding in more food and controlling portions, like you said using the 1/3 rule.

Took me a while to get my head around some SW stuff too

You base your diet around speed foods

Then you have free foods pasta/meat/potatoes/bananas

1 healthy extra bread/cereal/hifi bars 1 healthy extra for calcium

Then your syns for treats/sauces/non SW friendly foods.

At the moment I usually have a SW fry for breakfast, then veg or salad with Quorn with mixed leaves or lettuce for most meals half the time I have those meals with free food carbs, when I don't I'm usually have a synned wrap or croutons so thats where my carbs balance out.

Always have my Healty Extras for a snack in the evening, usually toasted Aldi thin with cheese and milky coffee.

And then syns, well they always find their way into my diet usually carbs, salad dressing or alcohol :-)

Thanks, that falls roughly in line with what I thought so good to know :)

Almost time for my first session! Going to head home, make a start on dinner and then head to group. I also need to head to Dunnes to stock up on my Fri light selections as I only have the Olive Oil and my local Tesco only had the olive oil and sunflower one and I really want to get my paws on the Butter flavored one!

I was given a 5 digit pin to log into my online account.
    Is this on the app?
    I can only find a place to enter a 6 digit password...

Figured it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

What day does the sw week start? I really wanted to join tonight, but had no babysitter. If I go Saturday, and join up, will next Thursday be a different week if I want to weigh in? The Saturday group is a bit out of my way so couldn't go every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I somehow managed to lose my card & book :( I got a replacement/duplicate card no problem, but does anyone know if I can get a new book? My group leader was in a new member talk when I weighed in & I couldn't stay for group so I didn't get a chance to ask.

Luckily I'd only signed up in September - if I had that book for a year, I'd probably cry to lose my proof of progress! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ShazGV wrote: »
    I somehow managed to lose my card & book :( I got a replacement/duplicate card no problem, but does anyone know if I can get a new book? My group leader was in a new member talk when I weighed in & I couldn't stay for group so I didn't get a chance to ask.

Luckily I'd only signed up in September - if I had that book for a year, I'd probably cry to lose my proof of progress! :o

Say it to your consultant in case they have it... I left mine behind one week and was raging coz I was delighted with all my stickers (yes I'm a big child) I think they are 10/15 to replace but some leaders might be sound and give you a spare one.

Well I went to my first session last night. Not sure I'll be staying each and every week as it was just crazy busy, i arrived at the advertised time and was only leaving 2 hours later! I might just go for weighins for the time being, at least until all the Jan hype has died down. My consultant is quite active on social media etc and I can now join the private group for her club so hopefully that will keep me on track.

Was a bit disappointed when I stepped on the scales. I was weighed and measured by my trainer on Monday, and done two small group HIIT sessions since then and generally have been watching my diet, but was up a pound according to the SW scales. :( Am now a bit worried that I won't see a good loss in my first SW week to keep me motivated.

Well I went to my first session last night. Not sure I'll be staying each and every week as it was just crazy busy, i arrived at the advertised time and was only leaving 2 hours later! I might just go for weighins for the time being, at least until all the Jan hype has died down. My consultant is quite active on social media etc and I can now join the private group for her club so hopefully that will keep me on track.

Was a bit disappointed when I stepped on the scales. I was weighed and measured by my trainer on Monday, and done two small group HIIT sessions since then and generally have been watching my diet, but was up a pound according to the SW scales. :( Am now a bit worried that I won't see a good loss in my first SW week to keep me motivated.

It's just a busy time in Slimming World this month. I would definitely recommend staying for the meeting, it's been proven that those who stay tend to reach target compared to those that don't.
    Things will calm down over the next few weeks, but in the mean time I would dedicate the 2 hours for yourself.

Good luck with your journey, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You are better off sticking by the one set of scales

whelan2 wrote: »
    You are better off sticking by the one set of scales

Yeah, I get this in theory, but in my January enthusiasm I've signed up for both SW and this 8 weeks of HIIT sessions, so the trainer guy wanted measurements too. He won't be weighing me weekly though, just again at the end of the 8 weeks. He also took body measurements (hips, waist, thighs, etc) so I guess I'll at l at least have some idea of my body composition changing, not just the weight on the scales.

By the way, I don't even have a scales at home, so no danger of sneakily weighing myself all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Mrs Woman

I tried SW last year (not very hard I might add). Did anyone else find it all very bland?

Mrs Woman wrote: »
    I tried SW last year (not very hard I might add). Did anyone else find it all very bland?

I really don't, you can have almost everything you want if you cook it a 'slimming world' way. Chicken chow mein, vegetable curry etc. I do find the constant peeling and chopping of vegetables and having to be organised all the time a bit tiresome but that's where batch cooking helps a little.

What was it that you missed? Perhaps we could give you ideas..

So, just back from a lunchtime trip to Dunnes to stock up on some essentials.

I got Frylight in butter and coconut flavours, and 2 of the Naked Noodle pots. I also got the Mayflower Curry sauce powder in the butchers next door.

So glad I got the noodle pots because I'd had to use one already. Went to our canteen when I got back and there was nothing I wanted to eat. My real challenge is that my job provides free lunch every day but off the back of that they refuse to provide microwaves/fridges so its not ideal for bringing in food from home. Fridays are the worst (known locally as Fat Fridays) so hopefully most other days I should be able to get chicken and rice or whatever and just assume a few syns for oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Mrs Woman wrote: »

Bland? You can eat anything you want in a moderated way. It's not even like a diet, just a balanced way of eating. I'm a serious foodie and cooking nut and I can't honestly say I ever felt restricted following the idea of SW. I lost 8st 2lb in 2 years and I've "maintained" without any problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement