Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's only as bland as you want it to be. I'm really into cooking and find I can eat almost anything I want. I've eaten everything from biryani to paella, egg dishes, tagines etc all full of flavour and taste. You do need to do a bit of research alright to make SW versions of dinner but I'm finding the food really delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Mrs Woman

Bland? You can eat anything you want in a moderated way. It's not even like a diet, just a balanced way of eating. I'm a serious foodie and cooking nut and I can't honestly say I ever felt restricted following the idea of SW. I lost 8st 2lb in 2 years and I've "maintained" without any problems.

OMG!!! I am inspired! Right its back to SW for me and I'll get loads of advice on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

My OH was actually stressing me out last night when I got home (although he didnt mean to). He kept asking me questions about the plan, and when I'd say what I'd need to limit or what I'd need to swap, if it was something he was particularly partial to, like red wine for example he'd be like "ah no, surely not, I'm sure you could have more than that", so I have to constantly say that if I'm just going to make things up as I go along, I may as well not bother.

He doesn't mean to be unsupportive, but I was finding the constant questioning a little difficult to take - I'll happily give him my folder to read if he wants to know :) He's naturally slim of course :P

My OH was actually stressing me out last night when I got home (although he didnt mean to). He kept asking me questions about the plan, and when I'd say what I'd need to limit or what I'd need to swap, if it was something he was particularly partial to, like red wine for example he'd be like "ah no, surely not, I'm sure you could have more than that", so I have to constantly say that if I'm just going to make things up as I go along, I may as well not bother.

He doesn't mean to be unsupportive, but I was finding the constant questioning a little difficult to take - I'll happily give him my folder to read if he wants to know :) He's naturally slim of course :P

My bf doesn't like the plan at all, he needs to lose more weight than me but he doesn't believe you can eat unlimited pasta etc and still lose weight! Doesn't help that he doesn't like most vegetables!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

So SW is great for the support and motivation but I'm curious, how supportive are your friends/family/partners about your lifestyle change?
    My OH was/is very supportive. It definitely made the entire thing much easier. My best friend and I started the plan at the same time and her boyfriend used to goad her with pizzas and chips :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I would love if my OH would follow the plan with me.
    It would definitely make it easier for me, and he could do with dropping a good few lbs too.

I get a lot of abuse from family for my current 'stature' so the better acknowledge any improvement I make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

jlm29 wrote: »
    What day does the sw week start? I really wanted to join tonight, but had no babysitter. If I go Saturday, and join up, will next Thursday be a different week if I want to weigh in? The Saturday group is a bit out of my way so couldn't go every week

Anyone?

Anyone?

I presume it's Monday to Sunday, but I don't know.

Anyone?

You can join somewhere tomorrow and go to the other group on Thursday. It's completely up to you when your week starts and ends. Chat to the consultant or the person at the pay station and they can advise you. It's no bother, whatever suits you best.

• Advertisement

Is there any limit on free foods?
    Or in theory can I eat all day, every day, as long as it's free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

As long as you eat one third speed with it..yes
    You can't just eat free food only.

Thanks.
    I haven't got the meals down yet.
    I must read the literature.

jluv wrote: »

As long as you eat one third speed with it..yes
    You can't just eat free food only.
    On that point, I think I'm a bit unclear too.

So for example a lot of the recipes online don't necessarily have a side of speed foods, but may have quite a number of speed foods in them. Is that ok, if 1/3 of the ingredients are speed, or would I always need to add a side salad/veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

On that point, I think I'm a bit unclear too.

So for example a lot of the recipes online don't necessarily have a side of speed foods, but may have quite a number of speed foods in them. Is that ok, if 1/3 of the ingredients are speed, or would I always need to add a side salad/veg?
    As long as you feel the recipe has a third of free food included then you don't need to add extra speed..
    Example: When I have steak,SW chips,mushrooms and onions I feel I need either a side salad or fruit salad to bring the third to cover the steak and chips.

When I make chicken,broccoli and passata I don't feel the need for extra as the passata is speed.

If you have a recipe you're not sure about,put it up here and people will guide you..I learned a lot from others in the beginning..
    Good luck..

Does anyone know how to syn smash when you're tweaking it? I've made the smash cheese scones before and I'm bringing them to a SW group night out thing later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does anyone know how to syn smash when you're tweaking it? I've made the smash cheese scones before and I'm bringing them to a SW group night out thing later.

If you're tweaking then you don't syn it at all - that's why it's a tweak!

tk123 wrote: »
    If you're tweaking then you don't syn it at all - that's why it's a tweak!

Sorry! :o I meant if you're not tweaking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think the official line on it is that you should syn the Smash the same as if you'd used real flour, but that's a bit militant! I presume the reason they take such a hard line on it is to discourage people going nuts making homemade tortilla chips from lasagne sheets and counting no syns, because that way madness (and weight gain!) lies.
    I made the smash scones once and counted 2 syns each. Luckliy they were horrendous so only wasted the 2 syns in total :D

I hope your scones are lovely and that ye enjoy them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Joined this morning! Thought the Man at the Til was going to send me on my way, because I was late! I mistakenly queued up to pay instead of going to the new members corner, and he told me new people have to be there on the dot of ten- on a Saturday, I can never get anywhere on the dot of anything!!!
    I need to put my kids to bed so I can study my books! It seems complicated, but I know it's not, but I better arrive on the dot next time so I can catch up on the talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Going back this week after nearly a year off after loosing all motivation. Thankfully I haven't put all the weight back on but definitely some and it's time to do something about it.

Looking for some nice treats/snacks that I can buy in shopping that will help to keep me on the wagon. The fibre 90 bars look nice so I'm going to get a couple of those. Anyone have any other recommendations?

I'm only 5 days in, but I thought I'd have a better '1st week' to be honest.
    Have cut down a lot and cut out all junk (save for a few fibre 1 bars that were syned, and muller lights).
    Am hoping it takes the scales a couple of days to catch up.
    I know it's all relative, but I'm starting from a very high base.
    I need to see better results to keep me going.

I'm also 5 days in. I'm swinging wildly between thinking im doing great and then thinking that I won't have a loss on Thursday and it will all have been for nothing.

I had a dinner out in town on Saturday night, went for steak and salad and just a taste of my OH's creme brulee. Forgot to say dressing on the side, etc, but hadn't used any syns up to that point all day so hoping I'm ok.

Was with my parents for dinner on Sunday and my dad did chinese steamed fish and rice (+ salad) - sounds good but think there may have been a fair bit of oil involved - but had only otherwise used 2 sins with my breakfast that morning, so again I think I should be covered.

Trying my best but wouldnt say I've hit my stride just yet. Still need to try new recipes so I've more things to reach for comfortably.

I've also been working out in the gym 3x per week, so not sure how this is going to show on the scales, but hopefully will feel a difference soon in how my clothes fit.

Maybe we're not eating enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm only 5 days in, but I thought I'd have a better '1st week' to be honest.
    Have cut down a lot and cut out all junk (save for a few fibre 1 bars that were syned, and muller lights).
    Am hoping it takes the scales a couple of days to catch up.
    I know it's all relative, but I'm starting from a very high base.
    I need to see better results to keep me going.

What kind of results are you expecting after five days? Don't be disheartened. My first week was a struggle, anything new is and I didn't have a great loss. I made up for it last week though. If you follow the plan you will see results and even a small loss is a great result. It's only starting to click for me now three weeks in. Try and focus on non scales victories too. I'm sleeping better,have more energy and my skin is clearer....all of those are just as great as a weight loss.

I was expecting a lb a day.
    I'm morbidly obese, so that's realistic.
    A woman a lot smaller than me lost 11lbs last week.

Buy I do notice that my appetite is decreasing already.

I wouldnt advise weighing yourself at home between weighins, scales all differ a bit and also water weight will be up/down depending on the time of the day etc.

Weighing yourself once a week under the same conditions will give you the most accurate indication of your results

You'll just drive yourself mad otherwise. Maybe your weightloss will be better than expected by the time you go to group.

• Advertisement

I hope so!
    I'm actually on day 6!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement