Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I had my period last weeks too, which I think makes it even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

For a woman, and for any person making a major change in terms of food intake and/or exercise levels, it's advisable to give it 100% for at least 4 weeks before deciding whether to go on with the plan or not.
    Your weight fluctuates from day to day and from week to week because of all sorts of things, from menstruation and ovulation to muscle gain and fat loss to medication, inflammation, water intake and/or retention... the list is endless. After a while on plan and weighing once a week, you'll be able to see your own personal pattern and it will be truly individual - the person who lost 11 pounds this week might have a small gain or a tiny loss next week and continue to have tiny losses, while the person who 'only' lost a pound or two in week one might continue to lose at that rate consistently and end up with a greater loss over the coming weeks and moths than the person who had a phenomenal loss in week one! Also, the person who loses a massive amount in week one will often become complacent very quickly because they think they can lose loads without following the plan very well, and a lot of them will lose heart and quit when the big losses don't keep happening for that reason - I've been a SW member for a few years and I've seen that happen countless times.
    Don't get disheartened by a 'poor' week one result, and certainly don't get disheartened because of what your home scales says compared to what the SW scales said on a different day - the only way you can judge whether there's a discrepancy between your own scales and the SW scales is to bring your own one along to group with you ad hop straight from one set on to the other!! For any degree of accuracy and to save your sanity, the solution is only to weigh once a week, around the same time, on the same scales. I gave up weighing myself at home very early in my SW 'journey' (still hate that term!) because it was putting me off my game.

Keep with it and good luck with the plan, it's a fantastic way to lose weight and improve your eating habits for life. I'm currently 80% on plan, trying hard to get back to 100% after falling off the wagon over Christmas, lots of drama since giving me the excuse not to focus, then a heavy cold making it hard to eat, shop and cook well over the past week. I'll get there, eventually!

I had my period last weeks too, which I think makes it even worse!
    I always gain the week of my period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I always gain the week of my period!

Oh no... mine is starting today and I've my first weighin on Thursday... what I time I picked to start SW!

dee_mc wrote: »
    For a woman, and for any person making a major change in terms of food intake and/or exercise levels, it's advisable to give it 100% for at least 4 weeks before deciding whether to go on with the plan or not.
    Thanks for all that. I do intend to keep it up. I just wished the results matched my efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks for all that. I do intend to keep it up. I just wished the results matched my efforts.

They will, just give yourself a chance!
    I used to coach myself 'it took a long time to get this big, it's not all going to come off overnight' :D

Oh no... mine is starting today and I've my first weighin on Thursday... what I time I picked to start SW!
    Don't worry, I usually just notice a bigger loss the week after! Think bloating on my period just disguises my loss that week! And you might be different to me, just it's a common enough thing to happen for many women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I've just changed over to doing it online as I've gotten into the swing of it and I don't find the group beneficial. I'm down 1.5 stone and would like to lose another stone. A few weeks in I had a gain of 4lbs and then 3 lbs despite being genuinely 100% on plan and my consultant was no help. I found reading this thread from the beginning and joining a UK facebook group to be really helpful and picked up some great tips. I started a semi low gi version while still folowing the principles of SW and I'm finding it really easy to stick to and really happy with results so far. I've also started using the website more and there are some great recipes on it. I've also stopped using syns on sweets and treats and "spending" them on olive oil and almond butter etc. and that has seriously reduced the cravings I had for sugary things. Maybe one day a week I go over on syns with a slice of cake/bun when I'm out. Anyway before this turns into even more of a dear diary post, this week I'm down 2lb which I'm delighted with as I over indulged on the vino over the weekend which I thought might throw me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I found my first group meeting last week to be very very drawn out. I'm already dreading the next one!
    I'm on day 3 (my second work day), and I'm realising how dependant I am on bread! I didn't think I ate much bread at all, but I did!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    I found my first group meeting last week to be very very drawn out. I'm already dreading the next one!
    I'm on day 3 (my second work day), and I'm realising how dependant I am on bread! I didn't think I ate much bread at all, but I did!

Yeah finding sandwich alternatives was difficult for me! Sometimes I'll have wholemeal bread for my HEB but I prefer using it on oats or weetabix or breakfast because I'm not a big cooked breakfast fan and don't have that much time in the mornings. Although today I saved my HEB to make homemade pizza from wholemeal dough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Yeah finding sandwich alternatives was difficult for me! Sometimes I'll have wholemeal bread for my HEB but I prefer using it on oats or weetabix or breakfast because I'm not a big cooked breakfast fan and don't have that much time in the mornings. Although today I saved my HEB to make homemade pizza from wholemeal dough :P

I just need to be more organised. Way more organised. I'm afraid to be using my hex a and b at breakfast, because I might regret it later in the day (I love a slice of toast at my tea break in work!), but cereal is so much handier and quicker than most other things! I had fruit and yoghurt this morning, but I was starving by 11.30! Dinner is the most manageable!

Lunch is awkward due to pass remarkable colleagues!
    What are you eating and why?!

Would you try boiled eggs for breakfast?

jlm29 wrote: »
    I just need to be more organised. Way more organised. I'm afraid to be using my hex a and b at breakfast, because I might regret it later in the day (I love a slice of toast at my tea break in work!), but cereal is so much handier and quicker than most other things! I had fruit and yoghurt this morning, but I was starving by 11.30! Dinner is the most manageable!

Yeah definitely need either cereal or protein for breakfast, fruit and yog doesn't fill me either. I love making breakfast on the weekend when I have time - oat pancakes are a new favorite!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Yeah definitely need either cereal or protein for breakfast, fruit and yog doesn't fill me either. I love making breakfast on the weekend when I have time - oat pancakes are a new favorite!

I've started making oat muffins using my HexB, same ingredients for the pancakes and half teaspoon baking powder but just bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees, they're delicious and the mixture usually makes 7 muffins so handy to snack on through the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I love an omlette, Quorn sausage, tomatoes and green leaves for a really filling breakfast but I have a real taste for food I would have never been in the mood for before.

But if eggs in the morning don't seem appetizing you could look up some pancake recipes, I've seen some before where you use eggs, milk and syn a small amount of flour (banana pancakes are also good). Oh and you can precook pancakes and reheat them in the morning if you're stuck for time :)

That's also what I had for breakfast this morning! :P

Pancakes are my all time favorite food. Crepes are my favorite but if I want low syn I make American style ones using oats, egg & yogurt

I am probably struggling with weekday breakfasts the most.

Today I had a 0% Greek Style natural youghurt with a packet of raspberries.

I find it hard to use all my HexB first thing in the morning and the I can't have anymore bread all day.

Maybe I should buy things to make those muffins because even though I'd use my HexB making them, I could eat them throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You can always just syn the bread if you want more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I am probably struggling with weekday breakfasts the most.

Today I had a 0% Greek Style natural youghurt with a packet of raspberries.

I find it hard to use all my HexB first thing in the morning and the I can't have anymore bread all day.

Maybe I should buy things to make those muffins because even though I'd use my HexB making them, I could eat them throughout the day.

Poached eggs and a snap pot of beans is my go to first thing free and full of protein , fruit and a yogurt at 11 for the morning speed

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »

Yeah I might do as I get more confident - I'm still just getting used to the plan.
    Poached eggs and a snap pot of beans is my go to first thing free and full of protein , fruit and a yogurt at 11 for the morning speed

Its at times like this I wish I liked beans - I'd go so far as to say I've a borderline phobia of them, I don't even like people eating them near me, so thats realistically not an option for me even though it would be a great option otherwise.

I made eggs on my hexB toast one of the mornings but it was a bit messy and took too long (I'm not the earliest riser!) Might try overnight oats or the muffins for easy options.

Yeah I might do as I get more confident - I'm still just getting used to the plan.

Its at times like this I wish I liked beans - I'd go so far as to say I've a borderline phobia of them, I don't even like people eating them near me, so thats realistically not an option for me even though it would be a great option otherwise.

I made eggs on my hexB toast one of the mornings but it was a bit messy and took too long (I'm not the earliest riser!) Might try overnight oats or the muffins for easy options.

the 3n1/2 syn pancakes with bacon are great too but the don reheat or travel well so more of a weekend thing i suppose

the 3n1/2 syn pancakes with bacon are great too but the don reheat or travel well so more of a weekend thing i suppose

Yeah the options for the weekend seem a lot better as I've time to cook and don't mind making a mess in the kitchen!

Overall I think its going well though, I already feel less bloated.

tk123 wrote: »

I actually find it confusing that things can be free or a healthy choice, and also syned.

Will someone post a link to a slimming world friendly breakfast muffin recipe please? I can't find one without flour.

Or is it just porridge bread in bun cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

What about spaghetti hoops?

I actually find it confusing that things can be free or a healthy choice, and also syned.

Will someone post a link to a slimming world friendly breakfast muffin recipe please? I can't find one without flour.

Or is it just porridge bread in bun cases?
    It's like you get a certain allowance per day, and after than you need to syn any extra. It's easy once you get into the swing of it :)

Here's a recipe for baked oats than can be made into muffins if you wish (instructions in the post). It does have a small syn value for the mashed banana but worth it imo!
    https://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/banana-baked-oatmeal

That blog in general is great for recipes!

m'lady wrote: »
    What about spaghetti hoops?

Nope, wouldn't be a fan either, didnt even like them as a child! Too artificial tasting for me :(

Nope, wouldn't be a fan either, didnt even like them as a child! Too artificial tasting for me :(

Do you like beans at all or just not the canned ones? You can make homemade baked beans which taste much nicer :)

weigh in tonight only 1lb last week was a bit disappointing hoping for a decent loss tonight keep the motivation up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Y
    Its at times like this I wish I liked beans - I'd go so far as to say I've a borderline phobia of them,

OMG i thought it was just me who hated beans lol! :pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement