Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hoping someone can help, bought a tomato soup today, it's 100 calories for 400g of soup. Can anyone syn this for me please? Looking like a good alternative to cooking my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You'll need to use the syn checker on the website White Roses, because it'll have quite a big free food allowance so syns won't be at all as high as they would be for junk food (the 20 cals=1 syn rule).
    I can't access the syn checker right now because I haven't attended group in a bit but I'm sure if you provide the nutritional info on thread someone will do it for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

If you give me the brand of the soup I'll check the app for you whiteroses.

m'lady wrote: »
    If you give me the brand of the soup I'll check the app for you whiteroses.

Your a star! It's the avonmore feel good tomato soup. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

WhiteRoses wrote: »

WhiteRoses the Avonmore Feel Good Tomato & Basil soup is 4.5 syns for the 400g carton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Ms2011 wrote: »
    First weigh in tomorrow. Have this dread of being the only one who doesn't lose anything in their first week!!
    I know I didn't keep to my syns the first day cos I hadn't gone shopping so didn't have the proper food in, the second day I miscounted the syns in a roll I had.
    Tomorrow will tell if it was all worthwhile :-)

I had this exact same dread in week one (aka last week) and I lost 4.5lbs :)

Bit nervous this week as I've to go to the UK on Thursday (usual weigh-in day) so the only other group I can make is Tuesday, 2 whole days early!

WhiteRoses wrote: »

Sorry I didn't see this until now. Is that soup nice? Not bad in syns if you were stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

m'lady wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't see this until now. Is that soup nice? Not bad in syns if you were stuck.

I was thinking the same thing m'lady. I wouldn't mind using 4.5 syns if it's nice. The regular soup is 9 syns which I don't think is worth it for soup.

I think it's lovely and well worth the spend of 4.5syns for convenience, the 400g carton is a huge portion as well. I'd recommend it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Going into week 2 of "star week"/time of the month and still half a pound away from my 2 stone award, frustrating or what, maybe I'll get it tomorrow fingers crossed, I've been busting my ass off all month for it.

If you don't already, drink loads of water today!

So I've only just copped on to what Star Week is.... Does anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that SW felt the need to come up with a euphemism for something thats just a normal part of life?

Also, is there any point to calling it star week? Like should your plan change in specific ways just because you're on your period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

'Star week' came about because people used put an asterisk or star symbol on their food diary on the week of their period or the week they ovulate just to keep track of whether their weight loss was effected by the hormonal stuff etc
    In some groups people would be embarrassed to say the word 'period' maybe in front of male members but having said that, in my group I've heard people saying period from hell, yokes, bits, munster playing at home, monthlies etc so I think it depends on the person/group!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

dee_mc wrote: »
    'Star week' came about because people used put an asterisk or star symbol on their food diary on the week of their period or the week they ovulate just to keep track of whether their weight loss was effected by the hormonal stuff etc
    In some groups people would be embarrassed to say the word 'period' maybe in front of male members but having said that, in my group I've heard people saying period from hell, yokes, bits, munster playing at home, monthlies etc so I think it depends on the person/group!

one lad in our group didn't fully understand what it meant at all , had never been explained like he thought it was a week where you had stuck to plan but just had lost much. anyway long story short he had a week where he only lost a 1/2 lb our leader cam to him in image therapy and he said , look i did everything right guess it was just a star week . needless to say everyone nearly died laughing our leader included, poor chap was beyond confussed.

one lad in our group didn't fully understand what it meant at all , had never been explained like he thought it was a week where you had stuck to plan but just had lost much. anyway long story short he had a week where he only lost a 1/2 lb our leader cam to him in image therapy and he said , look i did everything right guess it was just a star week . needless to say everyone nearly died laughing our leader included, poor chap was beyond confussed.

Oh the poor fella - kinda hilarious all the same, but still....see, this is why people should be just grown up enough to say period!

Anyway, question for you experienced SW folk.

I'm trying my best to food optimize but with some meals I'm struggling to make sure I have the speed, mostly at breakfast.

For example, this morning I made the baked oats recipe for the first time. For those who are unfamiliar, its basically your 40g oats (HexB), 2 eggs, a 175ml muller light of your choice (I also added some baking powder for half a syn and some vanilla essence, free)

Anyhoo, it was huge meal and really hot so took me an age to eat. By the time I'd finished I basically had to run out the door for work, so I grabbed a punnet of strawberries to have as my speed, but didnt eat them until I got to work, so probably 45mins later.

How bad is this? I've found this a few times, that I've eaten my speed either before or after (usually not 45mins - this morning was particularly bad!) but since we can't cook fruit without synning it, I tend to eat it either before or after my meal, rather than necessarily incorporating it.

Thoughts?

Oh the poor fella - kinda hilarious all the same, but still....see, this is why people should be just grown up enough to say period!

Anyway, question for you experienced SW folk.

I'm trying my best to food optimize but with some meals I'm struggling to make sure I have the speed, mostly at breakfast.

For example, this morning I made the baked oats recipe for the first time. For those who are unfamiliar, its basically your 40g oats (HexB), 2 eggs, a 175ml muller light of your choice (I also added some baking powder for half a syn and some vanilla essence, free)

Anyhoo, it was huge meal and really hot so took me an age to eat. By the time I'd finished I basically had to run out the door for work, so I grabbed a punnet of strawberries to have as my speed, but didnt eat them until I got to work, so probably 45mins later.

How bad is this? I've found this a few times, that I've eaten my speed either before or after (usually not 45mins - this morning was particularly bad!) but since we can't cook fruit without synning it, I tend to eat it either before or after my meal, rather than necessarily incorporating it.

Thoughts?

that's totally fine , i split my breakfast in two every morning , have beans and eggs when i get in 0 speed then i have a muller light with a load of fruit around 11 , if it was all one meal it would be comfortably a 3rd.

Our leader said 7 portions of speed a day should be the aim , you should try include them as meals but if not replace a snack with fruit or whatever , i find its really easy to do speed with lunch and dinner but breakfast not so much so splitting it works well.

I do that every day and on my best weeks i can still drop 4lbs plus

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

So is that the crux of slimming world-that a third of every meal should be speed?

Another frustrating week for me. 1 out of plan meal over the weekend and I'm up 3lbs!!! WTF.

I had decent sized meals of free, speed and protein, and calculated and kept within the syns for anything out of plan.
    I don't know where I'm going so wrong.

So is that the crux of slimming world-that a third of every meal should be speed?

Another frustrating week for me. 1 out of plan meal over the weekend and I'm up 3lbs!!! WTF.

I had decent sized meals of free, speed and protein, and calculated and kept within the syns for anything out of plan.
    I don't know where I'm going so wrong.

thats the aim its should be easy enough because loads of things are speed e.g in a homemade bolonaigse the pasata , canned tomatoes , onion in the sauce are all speed i usually add some spinach and that. 1 bad meal shouldn't have you up 3lbs i was up that much after 5 days in Disneyland.

I'd say give a 777 a shot , have 7 servings of speed a day and only allow yourself 7 syns for a week i've always had great weeks doing that .

• Advertisement

thats the aim its should be easy enough because loads of things are speed e.g in a homemade bolonaigse the pasata , canned tomatoes , onion in the sauce are all speed i usually add some spinach and that. 1 bad meal shouldn't have you up 3lbs i was up that much after 5 days in Disneyland.

I'd say give a 777 a shot , have 7 servings of speed a day and only allow yourself 7 syns for a week i've always had great weeks doing that .

Thanks for the reply.
    I snack on speed.
    Only meal I don't have speed with directly is breakfast. Would have speed fruit soon after though.

I'm literally going to have to start measuring stuff with a ruler!

I guess I'm still a bit of a cynic regarding the whole group element, (and the one time I went to group did nothing to change my mind!)

I know a good few people who've lost weight on SW so I figure its worth a shot and so far I've found it decent, although I miss wine very badly! I do like the focus on real foods rather that WW where I felt I was eating a lot of diet size snacks and sometimes my meals were not that satisfying.

That said, all the words and phrases (such as star week, body magic etc) are a bit twee/cringe for my taste.

I'm following my consultant and a few others on various social media platforms so I find that helpful as it keeps it always on my mind. Meetings though.... I don't know if its just the meeting I go to but it seems phenomenally over subscribed and full of loud mouths, but maybe that will ease off after Jan so I may give it another go.

Thanks for the reply.
    I snack on speed.
    Only meal I don't have speed with directly is breakfast. Would have speed fruit soon after though.

I'm literally going to have to start measuring stuff with a ruler!

Have you spoken to your SW consultant or maybe even your GP? I'd try the consultant first to make sure that you're not overlooking something obvious, and if not the GP.

Have you spoken to your SW consultant or maybe even your GP? I'd try the consultant first to make sure that you're not overlooking something obvious, and if not the GP.
    Maybe it's my expectations that are wide off the mark, but people who are half my size are doing better than me.
    My GP weighs me every time I get a prescription.
    The consultant isn't very proactive.
    Up until the new year, my diet consisted entirely of rubbish, take aways and meals out.
    Even if I wasn't managing the 1/3 speed, by just cutting out the rubbish, it should make a difference.

Maybe my body is in shock!
    I'll keep trying anyways.

Ha, I nearly wish my group was a bit more dreary! Its just so huge, including the consultant there are 5 people working the meeting and its still manic. Obviously not everyone stays, but the time I went I was there for 2 hours. I sympathise with the consultant but to an extent I think she just needs to open another group because its madness at the moment (imagine herding a bag of cats), lots of people talking over each other, any it just takes ages for her to cover whatever content was wants to cover.

The January crowd generally has thinned out (no pun intended) by mid-Feb.
    You're safe enough then until after Easter, bit of a surge then, and it gets busier again around May for people thinking of Summer holidays and bikini bodies and all that rubbish :D
    I like my group, it's a busy one but the consultant manages it well - I tend to time it so that I get there around 30 minutes after group opens and then it's about a 30-45 minute meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was really fed up this evening - 2lbs up and out of target after what I thought was a good week! TMI but I had to go to the loo a few times during group so asked if I could weigh again.. I'd pee'd the 2lbs away lol!!! :pac::pac: :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement