Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

tk123 wrote: »
    I was really fed up this evening - 2lbs up and out of target after what I thought was a good week! TMI but I had to go to the loo a few times during group so asked if I could weigh again.. I'd pee'd the 2lbs away lol!!! :pac::pac: :pac:

Lol! Yeah I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the loo & just before hopping into the shower - at my lightest xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

tk123 wrote: »
    I was really fed up this evening - 2lbs up and out of target after what I thought was a good week! TMI but I had to go to the loo a few times during group so asked if I could weigh again.. I'd pee'd the 2lbs away lol!!! :pac::pac: :pac:

i allways stop into the boys room on the way into weigh in , if your drinking a load of water and stuff that carries weight like hahahahaha ... fair play on the Target maintain btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i allways stop into the boys room on the way into weigh in , if your drinking a load of water and stuff that carries weight like hahahahaha ... fair play on the Target maintain btw

I'd already gone twice before I weighed! Glad I stayed to group and didn't storm off. I'd said the other week that i didn't think group was for me any more but I did enjoy it last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Hi all

I'm thinking of joining Slimming World - I just want to know if it's easy enough to decipher it all?
    I follow a few people on Instagram that follow it and they go on about syns, things called hexa and hexb which sounds really confusing.

If something is too tricky and I have to work out loads of points and stuff before I eat, I'm unlikely to stick to it.

Is it worth me joining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm thinking of joining Slimming World - I just want to know if it's easy enough to decipher it all?
    I follow a few people on Instagram that follow it and they go on about syns, things called hexa and hexb which sounds really confusing.

If something is too tricky and I have to work out loads of points and stuff before I eat, I'm unlikely to stick to it.

Is it worth me joining?

Hi BetsyEllen!
    It's actually really simple - most of what you eat is 'free food' which means it doesn't have to be weighed and measured, you can eat it freely. Free foods include lean meat and skinless poultry, pasta, rice, potatoes, all fruit and veg except avocadoes, most fat free yogurts... it's a long list!
    1/3 of each meal should be made up of 'speed' foods - 'speed' fruit and veg are supposed to speed up your weight loss. For example, carrots, berries, apples and broccoli are speed foods; potatoes and parsnips are not. Full list provided in SW book.
    'Syn' foods are ones that are higher in fat and/or sugar - junk food, oils, butter etc, bread, cereals, sauces etc. You're allowed 15 syns per day. You have to weigh or measure these foods to keep track and ensure you're within your 15 syn limit, which can be a bit tricky for the first few days but you get the hang of it quickly. You can check syns of basic foods and popular branded foods in the SW book you're given when you sign up, and you'll also have access to the SW website which has a searchable master list of syn values for thousands of foods. For junk food, there's a general rule of 20 calories = 1 syn.
    HEXA and HEXB sounds like some mental code but actually refers to the calcium and fibre allowance - you're encouraged to have a portion of fibre rich food like wholemeal bread or cereal and a portion of calcium rich food like milk or cheese daily. These are foods that would normally be syns, but because they are needed for good nutrition you get to include 1 each per day without counting the syns.
    For me, my HEX (healthy extras) are usually 40g All Bran (HEXB) with 250ml low fat milk (HEXA) with a punnet of blueberries (free) and a punnet of raspberries (speed) and a couple of apples (speed) for breakfast.
    A digital scales is a very handy thing to have for weighing your cereal if you use it, much more accurate than a regular scales, and a decent measuring jug for your milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hi all

Is it worth me joining?

I joined at the start of the year and its been easy enough to get my head around. The first week did take a bit of getting used to but I'm flying now and not having to weigh my food or point it is a huge part of that. It's the first plan I've followed where I don't feel hungry or like I'm on a diet. I'd really recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi BetsyEllen!
    It's actually really simple - most of what you eat is 'free food' which means it doesn't have to be weighed and measured, you can eat it freely. Free foods include lean meat and skinless poultry, pasta, rice, potatoes, all fruit and veg except avocadoes, most fat free yogurts... it's a long list!
    1/3 of each meal should be made up of 'speed' foods - 'speed' fruit and veg are supposed to speed up your weight loss. For example, carrots, berries, apples and broccoli are speed foods; potatoes and parsnips are not. Full list provided in SW book.
    'Syn' foods are ones that are higher in fat and/or sugar - junk food, oils, butter etc, bread, cereals, sauces etc. You're allowed 15 syns per day. You have to weigh or measure these foods to keep track and ensure you're within your 15 syn limit, which can be a bit tricky for the first few days but you get the hang of it quickly. You can check syns of basic foods and popular branded foods in the SW book you're given when you sign up, and you'll also have access to the SW website which has a searchable master list of syn values for thousands of foods. For junk food, there's a general rule of 20 calories = 1 syn.
    HEXA and HEXB sounds like some mental code but actually refers to the calcium and fibre allowance - you're encouraged to have a portion of fibre rich food like wholemeal bread or cereal and a portion of calcium rich food like milk or cheese daily. These are foods that would normally be syns, but because they are needed for good nutrition you get to include 1 each per day without counting the syns.
    For me, my HEX (healthy extras) are usually 40g All Bran (HEXB) with 250ml low fat milk (HEXA) with a punnet of blueberries (free) and a punnet of raspberries (speed) and a couple of apples (speed) for breakfast.
    A digital scales is a very handy thing to have for weighing your cereal if you use it, much more accurate than a regular scales, and a decent measuring jug for your milk.

That's so helpful, thank you. It sounds far more simple than I thought it would be!

Another question - I know the groups are helpful in terms of support but the ones near me don't meet at times that suit.
    If I just went along to the first meeting, would I be given enough info to keep me going to do it alone without the meetings?
    I may be able to go to the odd one but definitely not every week.

You could follow SW without signing up at all, but the question is will you?. I find the accountability of someone else weighing me in person keeps me on track and the meetings always give me a motivational boost, getting a big round of applause every time you get a half stone award and even the silly little shiny sticker keeps me going.

If you go to your first meeting you pay to sign up and the meeting, however, if you miss a meeting you pay a charge the following week you turn up unless you prebook a week off with the consultant. (I always buy the 12 week countdowns so I don't know much about the charge if you miss a class so if anyone could fill me in that would be great).

If you can't get to a meeting there is SW online also.

100% agree i did it online with my OH for a few months before we joined didnt really loose or gain anything , joined the group dropped a stone each in 5 weeks , since then shes down 2 , i'm loosing allot slower because if less to loose and i was a bit bauld over the Christmas still down 1 and a 1/2 overall since November

• Advertisement

You could follow SW without signing up at all, but the question is will you?. I find the accountability of someone else weighing me in person keeps me on track and the meetings always give me a motivational boost, getting a big round of applause every time you get a half stone award and even the silly little shiny sticker keeps me going.

If you go to your first meeting you pay to sign up and the meeting, however, if you miss a meeting you pay a charge the following week you turn up unless you prebook a week off with the consultant. (I always buy the 12 week countdowns so I don't know much about the charge if you miss a class so if anyone could fill me in that would be great).

If you can't get to a meeting there is SW online also.

I don't know if I will or not but it's not really an option for me to go every week unfortunately.
    How would I follow it without signing up at all? I wouldn't have access to the info on syns etc - I did look at the online option but it's €75 upfront which I can't afford this month frown.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi Betsy,

Is there a meeting close to where you work that you could drop into each week? You can chop and change between meetings depending on your schedule that week, so you're not tied to one day/time, you just need to get to one meeting per week.

I've not been great at staying for the class so far but I am comitted to at least weighing in each week a I need that accountability.

I also was a bit skeptical before I joined, thinking I was basically doing ok myself because I do cook a lot and try to make healthy things, but I just wasnt losing weight. I've only had 1 weighin so far but I lost 4.5lbs and people are already starting to comment.

I just wasn't getting results doing my own approximation of SW by myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yeah if you can join a group and make it clear you work shifts so might have to miss group some weeks and might only be able to weigh and go some weeks (i.e. not stay to group) your consultant will at least be there for support, and you can keep track of your own progress on the website and have access to the syn checker and all the recipes and your personal weight loss graph.
    Whatever it is about standing on a scales in a public room, it always makes me more accountable and like others above, I always lose more when I know I'll be attending group even if it's only for part of the meeting or just to hop on the scales and make a run for it!

If I sign up to a class in one town where I live, but there is a class in another town where I work, can I move between them?

Or do I need to stick to the same one each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

If I sign up to a class in one town where I live, but there is a class in another town where I work, can I move between them?

You don't have to stick to the same group at all, you can go anywhere you want. You can always weigh and go the weeks you don't have time to stay to group.

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    You don't have to stick to the same group at all, you can go anywhere you want. You can always weigh and go the weeks you don't have time to stay to group.

Oh great that makes it easier then! I just thought I had to go to the same leader all the time, I didn't realise I could swap around.

Thanks

totally fine to swap i have weighed in in Cork and Bermingham when traveling for work in the last few months though i go to a group in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I'm going to a different one tonight and its only my 3rd week! Afaik its really no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

You can go to any class you like ladies/gentlemen, as long as your in a new week.

• Advertisement

I don't go to group, have the book and follow from home. Basically have very erratic working hours & tight finances (postgrad science student wahey :rolleyes:)

I'm managing fine on my own because I have all the info & understand the plan now. I've decent willpower so I'm able to motivate myself but I also don't have that much to lose so I don't mind as much if it takes a while to come off. You probably know yourself what your motivation is like and whether you're likely to stick to the plan without anyone keeping an eye on you. I'm a member of a SW facebook group which helps with motivation too.

The only thing I think would be really helpful for me if I were a member would be having access to the syns directory, although the book and Google is fine most of the time for calculating syns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can I ask for help please?
    I've rejoined after Christmas and determined to reach goal! I'm making a roast chicken dinner tomorrow. If I use salt, pepper, garlic and fry light on my chicken and two slices of wholemeal brown bread as my HXB for my stuffing do I syn any of that? I'll be eating the chicken with carrots, brocoli and sprouts. If I make roast potatoes in the same juices and oil from the chicken do I syn them? I will be using flour in the gravy so I will be using syns for that.

Can I ask for help please?
    I've rejoined after Christmas and determined to reach goal! I'm making a roast chicken dinner tomorrow. If I use salt, pepper, garlic and fry light on my chicken and two slices of wholemeal brown bread as my HXB for my stuffing do I syn any of that? I'll be eating the chicken with carrots, brocoli and sprouts. If I make roast potatoes in the same juices and oil from the chicken do I syn them? I will be using flour in the gravy so I will be using syns for that.

Sounds free to me, I think using the oil from the chicken would be ok because you'd eat it anyway in the chicken but I'm a vegetarian so I wouldn't be sure, I've never tried to syn meat before!

Could anyone help me with syns too? :P planning on going to Boojum tomorrow and getting a burrito bowl. As said I'm a veggie so main ingredients, rice, beans, vegetables and salad are free. Would use cheese as my HEA (I know I can't measure it myself but they don't use much so I'd say it would be about right, and I didn't have my HEA today anyway :P). I'd add salsa and ideally guacamole as it's not the same without it to me!

I've roughly calculated it to be 10 syns- 6 for guacamole (again can't measure it but 6 syns is over half an avocado?) and 4 to account for any oil used in cooking & salsa. Does that sound about right? Would love sour cream too but that's probably going overboard :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Going back to group tomorrow after a good 6 months off, and I have every single pound back on! Looking forward to structure again just have get over the fear of weighing in....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Could someone syn this for me please? Don't have access to the calculator, would really appreciate it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/harvest-morn-aldi-apple-cinnamon-crisp-203993569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

dcfc91 wrote: »
    Could someone syn this for me please? Don't have access to the calculator, would really appreciate it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/harvest-morn-aldi-apple-cinnamon-crisp-203993569

30g serving is 6.5 syns according to the app. As a general rule it's 20 cals = 1 syn.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Scraggs wrote: »
    30g serving is 6.5 syns according to the app. As a general rule it's 20 cals = 1 syn.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Down, by a negligible amount.
    But every little counts!
    I'm going to give the sp diet a go this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If I make roast potatoes in the same juices and oil from the chicken do I syn them? I will be using flour in the gravy so I will be using syns for that.

Roast potatoes cooked with frylight are free, but cooked in the chicken juice are syn'd as though they are cooked in oil, 4 syns per 100g. Also the roast chicken is free with the skin off, roast chicken skin on is 4 1/2 syns per 100g.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement