Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bellabella123

I have lots to lose and expected a better start, but it hasn't happened with slimming world.
    I'm hoping slow and steady means I'll maintain any loss I achieve.
    I still have an issue with portion control.
    And the free carbs just don't work for me.
    Just waiting for something to hopefully 'click'.
    Down is down though!
    Any loss is better than none.

Hi,

I agree that slow and steady wins the race too, in that it it comes off slowly, it'll stay off!!

I have been food optimising so well this week, eaten spinach with every single meal!! Oh and I hear melons are soo good for speed.

Hope it'll all show a loss on Friday.

Bella

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Will someone recommend the best choice for yoghurt from Aldi please?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Will someone recommend the best choice for yoghurt from Aldi please?
    Thanks.

Saw this a few pages back:

Are Aldi Brooklea light, Greek style vanilla and coconut, or the lemon variety yoghurt free?

Lemon is free, Coconut and vanilla is 0.5 syns.

Guys, can anyone give me a recommendation for breakfast?
    I normally eat at my desk and will have cereal or get a slice of toast around 10.30; I don't have time to eat something cooked every day.

Overnight Oats are fab so I can have these sometimes but I know 100% I won't make them every single evening so there will be times I need something handy.

Are there any cereals or bars etc that I can have as an 'emergency' standby?

I haven't been along to a meeting yet (going Thursday) so I haven't been given lists of free foods, syns, healthy extras etc so I have no idea how it all works. However I would like to try and eat as SW-ish as possible until Thursday when I can get the proper info.

Thanks

Do you have a microwave at work? I often make porridge at work using the microwave :) Alpen light bars are 2x HEB as a 'standby' option, although I've only ever managed to find them in Dealz (and not reliably).

• Advertisement

Got to love the product placement on this page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

A big non-scale victory this week though; I've cleared out all my size 16 and 18 clothes, it was like going shopping in my own wardrobe being able to try on size 12 and 14 hiding out in there, even everything I was wearing before Christmas just looking better on me, things aren't tight anymore.
    That's the dream.
    Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

That must be so satisfying!

I've only been doing SW for less than 3 weeks, but at the weekend I tried on a dress that I'd bought online but didnt fit me, but I'd decided to keep as it wasn't a mile off. It now zips up no problem without me looking like a squashes sausage! Cannot wait to be able to wear the half of my wardrobe that doesnt fit :)

That must be so satisfying!

I've only been doing SW for less than 3 weeks, but at the weekend I tried on a dress that I'd bought online but didnt fit me, but I'd decided to keep as it wasn't a mile off. It now zips up no problem without me looking like a squashes sausage! Cannot wait to be able to wear the half of my wardrobe that doesnt fit :)

These kind of stories give me more motivation than anything else - it's such a great feeling but sadly it hasn't happened to me in a very long time! :o

• Advertisement

I'm currently watching 'How to get fit fast' on the telly while sitting on the couch and having a fibre 1 bar and muller light.

Girls would anyone mind working out some syns for me please?

A bowl of Special K Nourish - Hazelnuts, Almonds and Pumpkin Seeds
    40g serving 162 cal

Not sure if any more info is needed?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

BetsyEllen wrote: »

40g serving 162 cal

Thank you
    Protein, fat and carbs also needed please and I'll do it for you

Ah thanks, my original goal was to "just get a bit fitter" meaning back into my usual size 14s - I've never been smaller than that size in my life and could never see myself being it either just because every time I lost weight I went through such bad weight plateaus I gave up I honestly didn't feel like it was possible I had tried so many times!

After 6 months with Slimming World I'm now more excited and motivated than ever before because in the coming months at 25 I will get to experience so many firsts, first time weighing less than 160! first time wearing a size 10! first time having a healthy BMI!!!

I'll get there even though I'm a bad slimmer, I drink more than I should, I cut corners, I didn't have a few off plan days I had a few off plan months! But ultimately I'm only human and if it wasn't going to be a struggle I wouldn't need to join in the first place!

Fizzle sticks you are giving me such inspiration! Especially that you've not been perfect with it, but manage to go back to back on plan and keep losing :)

The bit in bold actually speaks to me because it challenges a whole heap of assumptions that I have about my shape. I'd have been a bit like you in that I probably hadnt been a size 10 since I was actually 10 years old, and I'm always telling myself that if I can just get back to size 14 being comfy, that I'll be happy with that, because I'm tall, and I can carry it, etc etc, basically that a BMI under 25 is not possible, and that I wouldnt look well at that weight - but honestly I think its because I have never been that weight in my adult life so I can't see myself like that.

Its so encouraging that you're almost there, despite sharing some of the same preconceptions! And that you've still had a life!

Protein, fat and carbs also needed please and I'll do it for you

Thank you

Protein: 4.8g
    Fat: 3.8g
    Saturated: 0.3g
    Carbs: 25g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

gaurenteed to be up again tonight , was away for the weekend over in Scotland for the Rugby, hoping for minimal dame id take 1.5lbs -2lbs up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

40g serving 162 cal

Thank you

From the app : special K Nourish Cereal with nuts and seeds - 25g - 5 syns

So 1 syn per 5g = 40/5 = 8 syns
    or 1 syn per 20cal = 162/20 = 8

40g serving 162 cal

Thank you

Hi Betsy, working out syns is not my forte so I'll leave that to the others but one thing I'd say is that its really important on SW to try to eat real foods where you can and save your syns! There are tonnes of syn free breakfast options, and then lots of others using your HexB allowance.

If you're trying to get your head around SW, then thats the first things I'd try to do - eat real, whole foods as much as possible as likely they'll be free :)

The only time I have syns for breakfast is at the weekends when I make myself a bacon and egg sandwich with by HexB bread and maybe 1-2 syns for some ballymaloe relish/ketchup. Or another one I like is the baked oats, so 1/2 syn for baking powder and my 40g of oats using my hexB.

During the week I eat a lot of 0% natural yogurt and fruit as I can bring it to work in my handbag, or I make scrambled eggs in the microwave before I leave home (super quick) and then bring fruit wtih me for speed.

Hi Betsy, working out syns is not my forte so I'll leave that to the others but one thing I'd say is that its really important on SW to try to eat real foods where you can and save your syns! There are tonnes of syn free breakfast options, and then lots of others using your HexB allowance.

If you're trying to get your head around SW, then thats the first things I'd try to do - eat real, whole foods as much as possible as likely they'll be free :)

The only time I have syns for breakfast is at the weekends when I make myself a bacon and egg sandwich with by HexB bread and maybe 1-2 syns for some ballymaloe relish/ketchup. Or another one I like is the baked oats, so 1/2 syn for baking powder and my 40g of oats using my hexB.

During the week I eat a lot of 0% natural yogurt and fruit as I can bring it to work in my handbag, or I make scrambled eggs in the microwave before I leave home (super quick) and then bring fruit wtih me for speed.

Thanks SarahMollie.

Yeah I just bought the box of cereal at the start of the week and I said I'd use it up as it's on my desk. I only have about 2 bowls left in it.
    I've been doing loads of research this morning, I have all my lists of healthy extras etc and there are tons of breakfasts I can eat syn free - it's great!

So I'm only finishing the cereal and then I'm starting 'properly' on Friday after I've been to my first meeting tomorrow night.
    Doing a shop tonight to get nice food to get me started.

I love natural yoghurt so I plan on buying tub of that for the fridge at work that I will eat in the morning with lots of fruit or I will make overnight oats as often as I can as I love them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Sorry I was too late. Completely agree with the alternative breakfast options that are syn free. I'm a big overnight oats fan. I make it in a big lunch box and have a huge portion.

I made 'rice' pudding out of quinoa last night to have for breakfast this morning as I wanted to save my HEB for lunch. Had it with raspberries and it was very tasty and filling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I made 'rice' pudding out of quinoa last night to have for breakfast this morning as I wanted to save my HEB for lunch. Had it with raspberries and it was very tasty and filling :)

I have quinoa most mornings - just be warned that it's technically a tweak :rolleyes: ... but who cares lol

tk123 wrote: »
    I have quinoa most mornings - just be warned that it's technically a tweak :rolleyes: ... but who cares lol

Is it? I don't see how it's any different from eating quinoa normally as I'd eat the same amount cooked without milk! I got the recipe from a SW recipe blog and there was no mention of it being a tweak on there!

That's one thing I don't like about SW- I don't go to a group just have the book and follow a few groups/recipe plans online but there seems to be so many conflicting opinions online about certain things being allowed or not, seems like a lot of the consultants either aren't trained the same or have their own opinions and treat these as SW canon!

Is it? I don't see how it's any different from eating quinoa normally as I'd eat the same amount cooked without milk! I got the recipe from a SW recipe blog and there was no mention of it being a tweak on there!

That's one thing I don't like about SW- I don't go to a group just have the book and follow a few groups/recipe plans online but there seems to be so many conflicting opinions online about certain things being allowed or not, seems like a lot of the consultants either aren't trained the same or have their own opinions and treat these as SW canon!

How do you work out your syns without online access?

I don't think you can accurately, but as a general rule, 20cals is 1 syn.

What is a 'tweak'?

• Advertisement

I have a book which has the syn value for most things, nearly everything else is 20cal = 1 syn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement