Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

What is a 'tweak'?

A tweak is when you use a free food in a different way, like lasagne dorritos or chickpea flour for a cake, they say you have to syn it.
    Some of them I would agree with but others like mashing a banana to put on toast I think are just ridiculous.
    I'm sure near everybody in this thread has a tweak they do that slimming world wouldn't approve off but as long as its not harming your weight loss I see no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I have a book which has the syn value for most things, nearly everything else is 20cal = 1 syn

You're talking about the book you get in the pack when joining? That gives the sysn for more basic, unprocessed food, its really quite extensive. The online is more necessary for branded/processed items, or items that contain a some free foods as part of their contents.

Since joining SW I've hardly used the online calc as I've actually managed really well by cooking from scratch and just picking a few things that I know are hexA or hexB and sticking to that. Typically the odd time I've calculated the syns in a processed food, ive determined it not worth it!

You're talking about the book you get in the pack when joining? That gives the sysn for more basic, unprocessed food, its really quite extensive. The online is more necessary for branded/processed items, or items that contain a some free foods as part of their contents.

Since joining SW I've hardly used the online calc as I've actually managed really well by cooking from scratch and just picking a few things that I know are hexA or hexB and sticking to that. Typically the odd time I've calculated the syns in a processed food, ive determined it not worth it!

Yep, that's the one! I took scans of all the pages too to have on my phone when on the go :) I don't have a lot of processed food these days but the odd time I do I can usually find the syns by just googling it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

People are divided on the idea of whether you can tweak or not.

Its when you use free food as an ingredient to make crisps, batter, bread, smoothies rather than eating your free food as potatoes, quinoa or whole pieces of fruit.

My consultant said some foods are tweaks because they're less satiating and you're more likely to over eat them as bread or crisps rather than their original free food items.

But my consultant also raves about the lasange sheet doritos, so her take is that you can eat a tweak but don't over do it, but sure the scales will let you know if you do anyway :pac:

Came across this because I needed reminding, but this post explains how to balance tweaks with a balanced diet a lot better than I can, I don't think its one or the other, everything in moderation right: http://basementbakehouse.com/2016/05/to-tweak-or-not-to-tweak-that-really-is-the-question/

I understand it for making 'snack' foods like lasange crisps or using quinoa and couscous as flour, but not for just eating quinoa as porridge as you're eating the whole grain as part of a meal like you would at lunch or dinner! Someone tried to tell me roasting kale counts as a tweak too and I thought that was crazy as it's a speed food you'd have to eat bags of it to overeat it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'd rather syn a bag of Doritos and enjoy them than go to the faff of making a knock off version out of pasta ;-)‚ (Sooo having a bag tonight lol)

You're right! I never make tweaks, I knew what they were but didn't know they weren't tweaks as part of a meal.

Tweaks are confusing, its a good thing so many people are so passionate about them, even when they're kale :pac:

I just try to use my head about it, if I wouldn't eat the same amount of a food the way it's 'normally' eaten then I'd consider it a tweak, otherwise I'd go ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

My sw leader is very against porridge bread. That must be a tweak, or is it a healthy option???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My sw leader is very against porridge bread. That must be a tweak, or is it a healthy option???

I think you have to divide it up into tons of slices to get it to balance as a hex b so not worth it?

One tweak I did make recently was cheese scones - really nice and worked out at 1 syn for a huge scone.. We had them with a fry instead of spuds so I decided it wasn't a tweak after all lol

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say its due to the fact that once cooked, its hard to break it down into daily hexb portions - my SW leader generally advises to just buy hexb options or to make porridge muffins using the 40g of oats rather than making a whole loaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Hi Betsy, working out syns is not my forte so I'll leave that to the others but one thing I'd say is that its really important on SW to try to eat real foods where you can and save your syns! There are tonnes of syn free breakfast options, and then lots of others using your HexB allowance.

If you're trying to get your head around SW, then thats the first things I'd try to do - eat real, whole foods as much as possible as likely they'll be free :)

The only time I have syns for breakfast is at the weekends when I make myself a bacon and egg sandwich with by HexB bread...

But the syns are there to be used. It's as important to use your syns as it is to eat whole foods. It makes no difference if you incorporate your syns into your main meals; as long as the meals are 1/3 speed you're sorted. I could use 2/3 syns per meal easily.

But the syns are there to be used. It's as important to use your syns as it is to eat whole foods. It makes no difference if you incorporate your syns into your main meals; as long as the meals are 1/3 speed you're sorted. I could use 2/3 syns per meal easily.

True, and I gave examples of when I do use syns in my meals (which you cut from what your quoted), however I was responding to a question about a Special K granola which worked out at 8syns per 40g portion. IMO using 8 syns in that context is not the best use of them (in my opinion), as you may find yourself short/going over later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

So I finally made it to a meeting, got my books and online access etc.

Using my healthy extras on porridge and milk for breakfast, plus a bit of milk for tea too.
    I bought raspberries and blueberries to go with it, was quite surprised to see that blueberries aren't speed - I have a huge speed lunch though so it's OK.

11.5lb is my target loss.

Some of the recipes look fab, can't wait to make some big pots of yummy food in my slow cooker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi all,
    Just wanted to post here to update. I am nearly at the 3 stone mark which was my original target. I am going down another stone because I would love to get there. I'm the slimmest I've ever been, I'm keeping it off. I feel great and on my way to the all important 25 BMI. I also bought a pair of size ten jeans the other week. It's such a great plan and I know i can have my treats and get straight back on it and I'm in for a good weight loss.
    I do SP on Monday and Tues and am finding that great for speeding it up. Any other little tips? Out of interest, when getting a latte would you all syn it? I have been using skimmed milk as my healthy a but maybe am better off synning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to post here to update. I am nearly at the 3 stone mark which was my original target. I am going down another stone because I would love to get there. I'm the slimmest I've ever been, I'm keeping it off. I feel great and on my way to the all important 25 BMI. I also bought a pair of size ten jeans the other week. It's such a great plan and I know i can have my treats and get straight back on it and I'm in for a good weight loss.
    I do SP on Monday and Tues and am finding that great for speeding it up. Any other little tips? Out of interest, when getting a latte would you all syn it? I have been using skimmed milk as my healthy a but maybe am better off synning?

Well done on the 3 stone loss, that's unreal.
    I can't wait to fit into size 10 jeans!

Can I ask what an SP day is? Do you only eat Speed foods?
    I'm new to this smile.png

BetsyEllen wrote: »

SP is Speed and Protien. Its not something my consultant recommends for those of us who are still new to SW, more so something you could do if you hit a plateau to shake things up.

I think you're allowed an extra HexB on those days too, but I'm yet to try it :)

Hi all,

Thats so brilliant to hear. I'm targeting a 3 stone loss too - how long did it take you to lose it? Were you always on plan or did you make exceptions for special occasions?

I've a weekend away coming up in a months time to Bruges which I plan to go off Plan for (although hopefully I will make some decent choices) and then my main holiday for the year just after Easter to Vietnam - I'm hoping that the nature of the food over there combined with the heat will stop me from overindulging!

How do those of you who have been successful manage things like holidays/weddings/other occasions?

Hi all,
    Fair play Cazzer. I find speed soup for the days I'm not on SP great, especially for snacking on inbetween meals. It took me about six months to lose the last stone, very slow going :(. I don't think it matters if you syn the latte or take it from your allowance, I switch between the two depending on my meals for the day. Whatever you're doing now is obviously working for you!

True, and I gave examples of when I do use syns in my meals (which you cut from what your quoted), however I was responding to a question about a Special K granola which worked out at 8syns per 40g portion. IMO using 8 syns in that context is not the best use of them (in my opinion), as you may find yourself short/going over later in the day.

I know what you were referring to, I just clipped it for people reading on a mobile. I just think it's important for new members to know they can incorporate syns wherever they feel like it. I definitely felt restricted in that regard when I started SW first, and would bank syns to use on sweets or treats rather than ramping up my meals. The 40g of Special K granola with some speed fruit and a yoghurt is a great treat, 20g of weetabix minis mixed with some speed fruit and yoghurt is my own personal favourite snack for the TV.

• Advertisement

What veg do people tend to put in when making speed soup? Are there any particularly good combinations or just whatever you have to hand?

Thats so brilliant to hear. I'm targeting a 3 stone loss too - how long did it take you to lose it? Were you always on plan or did you make exceptions for special occasions?

I've a weekend away coming up in a months time to Bruges which I plan to go off Plan for (although hopefully I will make some decent choices) and then my main holiday for the year just after Easter to Vietnam - I'm hoping that the nature of the food over there combined with the heat will stop me from overindulging!

How do those of you who have been successful manage things like holidays/weddings/other occasions?

I started in Mid May and have been quite slow throughout. I have been away a few weekends and also to weddings and stuff. The way I work it is that I would never go fully off plan but I have my treats. Every Wednesday I have a treat meal after weigh in and then I go back on it on Thursday. I use most of my syns every day too.
    I find with occasions and weddings that I'll allow myself one or two bits off plan so maybe a dessert or chips or something. Try to have mostly good choice around one or two little treats. I have chocolate most evenings and have also started park run which is great and I'm really enjoying it, it's also good for keeping me on track on Fridays as I know I'll have my run on Sat morning.
    I do save my syns and I'll keep them low the day before and after a big event just to compensate. If I allowed myself free reign I'll end up back where I started and it's hard to come back from that.

BetsyEllen wrote: »

I started SP quite early into the plan and I find it excellent for a good loss. Basically it's the same plan but you're cutting out, potatoes, pasta and yogurt. You're also cutting out any foods that aren't S or P so certain fruits and veg aren't allowed on those days. You get two hex b options, one a option and your normal syns.
    Butternut squash is fab instead of potatoes or sweet potato and it's really filling. I do that twice a week before weigh in and every week I do it I lose so I think it really works. Hope that helps 😀

Got my half stone sticker today.
    If I lose the same again in the next 3 weeks, I'll be very happy.

Is it ok to make soup with frozen veg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Got my half stone sticker today.
    If I lose the same again in the next 3 weeks, I'll be very happy.

Is it ok to make soup with frozen veg?

Well done, it's a great feeling.

I often use frozen veg in soup, bulk it up with some lentils and it will be gorge

I lost 2lbs this week, this is the first week people have commented on my weight loss and I'm delighted and embarrassed in equal measure

I see frozen butternut squash in tesco and always mean to buy...
    Maybe this weekend!

I see frozen butternut squash in tesco and always mean to buy...
    Maybe this weekend!

Mmm Butternut squash soup is my favorite! Haven't made it in ages, might do this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭firiesclose

Can someone tell me what burger bun has the least amount of syns please. Only 2 weeks into sw so trying to get my head around everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I know its not an answer to your question but have you thought about putting your burger in a slimster or in one of the seeded slimbos. Thats what I do. I think its around 5 syns (or hexb if i'm not mistaken) but still quite nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭firiesclose

Iang87 wrote: »
    I know its not an answer to your question but have you thought about putting your burger in a slimster or in one of the seeded slimbos. Thats what I do. I think its around 5 syns (or hexb if i'm not mistaken) but still quite nice

Thanks for reply. I'm willing to try anything that is some bit like a burger bun but low in syns. Will I find a slimster / slimbos in the bread section. I have dunnes, tesco, super value, aldi, Lidl, centra & spar in my area so will shop anywhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement