Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

So, went for my 3rd weigh in last night and down 1lb.

Bit disappointed to be honest because it had been 9 days since my last weigh in and I hadn't touched a drop of alcohol all weekend. I did have a take away with friends last Friday but I went for beef in black bean sauce, cooked extra veg and only had half a portion of rice, so thought I was within my syns that day. I also had 2 trips to the UK with work during that time, but I did my best on those trips too, eating things from Pret which had the syns listed on the app.

I'm also working out a decent amount (3x per week, although i missed one session last week due to travel) so I'm trying to keep it in perspective for now and stick to the plan!

Having friends over tomorrow instead of going out so am going to make SW chips, tuna steak and mango salsa (homemade) with extra salad. I've also brought my lunch with me to work today (we have a free canteen but the food is a disaster on a Friday - known locally as Fat Friday, so basically everything with chips!)

Doing my best for a better result next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

So, went for my 3rd weigh in last night and down 1lb.

Bit disappointed to be honest because it had been 9 days since my last weigh in and I hadn't touched a drop of alcohol all weekend. I did have a take away with friends last Friday but I went for beef in black bean sauce, cooked extra veg and only had half a portion of rice, so thought I was within my syns that day. I also had 2 trips to the UK with work during that time, but I did my best on those trips too, eating things from Pret which had the syns listed on the app.

I'm also working out a decent amount (3x per week, although i missed one session last week due to travel) so I'm trying to keep it in perspective for now and stick to the plan!

Having friends over tomorrow instead of going out so am going to make SW chips, tuna steak and mango salsa (homemade) with extra salad. I've also brought my lunch with me to work today (we have a free canteen but the food is a disaster on a Friday - known locally as Fat Friday, so basically everything with chips!)

Doing my best for a better result next week!

Stay positive SM - It's not all about the scales - think of how good you have been to your health in general by having no alcohol, a healthy choice takeway, working out etc.
    Little things add up to big things and 1lb is a lot of weight :)
    Imagine holding it in your hand, it would feel heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Thanks FizzleSticks :) Its funny, that even though I know all that it still helps to hear it from somebody else.

I started doing 2 sessions per week through October-December, (then did nothing over Christmas!) but have upped it in Jan, to 3 sessions per week, and more of a focus on lifting weights, so I know I am building muscle. My Jan programme began about a week before I started SW.

My trainer took my measurements at my first session but I havent had an update on them as yet. I think the plan may be to do one soon and then again in another 4 weeks. A few people have commented that I'm looking slimmer, so thats what matters really!

In terms of motivation, mine is fairly specific. I opted for a bridesmaids dress for my friends wedding in November which currently doesnt fit me and doesnt have much/if any scope to be let out, so basically it has to fit me! I've only tried it on once since I started SW and there was an improvement but still more to lose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

okay so my friend joined SW recently and lost half stone in 2 weeks!!
    I need to lose 4 stone .....
    I hate my body and it's really affecting me however I'm not in a position to be able to go to meetings, my friend has given me practically all of the info to start but could I ask a cpl of questions?
    How long roughly does it take to lose 4 stone if you stick to the plan?
    also when they say this recipe etc is free is that only if it's used as a meal! for instance the last few days I practically lived on eggs, tomatoes, onions, lean trimmed ham and a little mozzarella, but no bread, I think in 4 days I've had 4 baby potatoes! no bread no butter etc and as a rule I feel full but last night and this morning I felt really hungry! so today I made brown pasta with a tim of tomatoes and a little mozzarella and that helped. my diet used to consist of mostly carbs! I ate healthy always fruit veg and salad but quite a bit choc and bread butter potatoes lol so I miss the carbs! what meals are the most filling and free?
    any tips? greatly appreciated?

• Advertisement

jewels0606 wrote: »
    okay so my friend joined SW recently and lost half stone in 2 weeks!!
    I need to lose 4 stone .....
    I hate my body and it's really affecting me however I'm not in a position to be able to go to meetings, my friend has given me practically all of the info to start but could I ask a cpl of questions?
    How long roughly does it take to lose 4 stone if you stick to the plan?
    also when they say this recipe etc is free is that only if it's used as a meal! for instance the last few days I practically lived on eggs, tomatoes, onions, lean trimmed ham and a little mozzarella, but no bread, I think in 4 days I've had 4 baby potatoes! no bread no butter etc and as a rule I feel full but last night and this morning I felt really hungry! so today I made brown pasta with a tim of tomatoes and a little mozzarella and that helped. my diet used to consist of mostly carbs! I ate healthy always fruit veg and salad but quite a bit choc and bread butter potatoes lol so I miss the carbs! what meals are the most filling and free?
    any tips? greatly appreciated?

I would suggest you try and go to just one meeting - pay the join up fee, get the access to the website, get the books etc and have it all explained to you.

You never have to go back again but you will have a better understanding of how it works.
    I'm not sure how long you'll have access to the website if you don't go back to meetings but even if you get a week out of it, plenty of time to do a good bit of research!

There's absolutely no reason for you at all to be missing carbs; pasta, rice and potatoes are all free on SW- you can eat chips every night if you like once you make them yourself with Fry-Light spray.
    You can also have 2 slices of brown bread every day as your healthy extra B or count it as syns if you use that on something else.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I would suggest you try and go to just one meeting - pay the join up fee, get the access to the website, get the books etc and have it all explained to you.

You never have to go back again but you will have a better understanding of how it works.
    I'm not sure how long you'll have access to the website if you don't go back to meetings but even if you get a week out of it, plenty of time to do a good bit of research!

There's absolutely no reason for you at all to be missing carbs; pasta, rice and potatoes are all free on SW- you can eat chips every night if you like once you make them yourself with Fry-Light spray.
    You can also have 2 slices of brown bread every day as your healthy extra B or count it as syns if you use that on something else.

Exactly this - if you're really serious about losing the weight, the invest the time in yourself and go to at least one meeting. Is there really nothing in your life that you could deprioritize in order to go, even just for a while until you understand the plan?

What you're eating above sounds really restrictive and repetitive and not at all what SW is actually like. You can eat pretty much anything within reason, but thats all based on the premise that you're balancing your carbs with "speed veg" and keeping your protein lean. There are also allowances for fiber and dairy products, but the book is the easiest way to understand these as there are multiple options.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

will try make time next week
    I just have one of those lives where i work but seem to have so many bloody apts and my work roster changes weekly it can seem hard to juggle everything, but I will go to 1 meeting and get proper info then :-)
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

jewels0606 wrote:
    will try make time next week I just have one of those lives where i work but seem to have so many bloody apts and my work roster changes weekly it can seem hard to juggle everything, but I will go to 1 meeting and get proper info then :-) thanks

Not sure where you live / work but some consultants run 7:30 am classes, if you happen to be in Dublin there's one in the city centre. Or there's also an online programme but I don't have any experience of that, I find I need to have the fear factor of somebody weighing me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

It is definitely worth going and staying for the meeting.
    The public accountability definitely acts as an encouragement.
    Also, easy access to the website is very helpful, to start anyways.
    I have A LOT to lose and have lost 7 lbs over the last three weeks.
    I was disappointed with my results initially, but if I can keep that average up, I'll lose 2 stone in 3 months in a way I'll be able to manage and maintain.
    If I reach 4 stone by my birthday, I will be elated.
    If I lose 6 stone, I will streak at a public event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Can someone tell me what burger bun has the least amount of syns please. Only 2 weeks into sw so trying to get my head around everything

Aldi and other supermarkets sell these wholemeal thins and I think they can used as your hex b. You could also use wholemeal bread (2 from a 400g loaf/1 from a 800g loaf is your hex b) as a burger bun? I tend to go without the bun tbh and just have a burger in a bowl. Make sure you're using lean burgers or if making your own it's -5% fat mince. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It is definitely worth going and staying for the meeting.
    The public accountability definitely acts as an encouragement.
    Also, easy access to the website is very helpful, to start anyways.
    I have A LOT to lose and have lost 7 lbs over the last three weeks.
    I was disappointed with my results initially, but if I can keep that average up, I'll lose 2 stone in 3 months in a way I'll be able to manage and maintain.
    If I reach 4 stone by my birthday, I will be elated.
    If I lose 6 stone, I will streak at a public event.

I'm a slow looser too and I've made peace with that. As amazing as it must be to get great figures every week I'm happy see any loss no matter how small. I have had to adjust my thinking a bit, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change and I'm more likely to adopt that for life the longer I do it so taking the long way round has its benefits :) My goal is half a stone a month, if I.can achieve that I will be very happy, anything more is a bonus.

Just picked up the new SW magazine (I like collecting recipes!) and there's a full page ad for the new 500g tubs of the Muller light 'Greek style' yogurts. The ad said that it was syn free, but I've always seen the regular sized pots synned at 0.5 each- anyone know if this is still the case? I've lots in my fridge and not many syns left for the weekend :eek:

They've been out a while.
    I love the lemon flavour.
    Was told in class they're free.
    They better be! I'm eating loads of them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Are there any joining vouchers at the mo? I really need a boost. Been loosing slowly and steadily since last summer myself along SW principles but I'm really struggling the last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Just picked up the new SW magazine (I like collecting recipes!) and there's a full page ad for the new 500g tubs of the Muller light 'Greek style' yogurts. The ad said that it was syn free, but I've always seen the regular sized pots synned at 0.5 each- anyone know if this is still the case? I've lots in my fridge and not many syns left for the weekend :eek:
    It depends on the flavour, many of them are free! I try to only have once or twice a week as they're very high in sugar. They're also nice frozen for 2-3 hours as an icecream type treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Originally they had a syn value, but in the last few weeks they changed their ingredients so now they are free..

Are there any joining vouchers at the mo?
    I think you've missed the new year offers.

Can all soup be frozen?
    How do you freeze them? In bags or containers?
    I'm making the slimming world butternut squash soup tomorrow to have during the week.
    Does it keep long in the fridge?
    TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I think you've missed the new year offers.

Can all soup be frozen?
    How do you freeze them? In bags or containers?
    I'm making the slimming world butternut squash soup tomorrow to have during the week.
    Does it keep long in the fridge?
    TIA

The soup will last about 4 days in the fridge. It can be frozen in lunch boxes or takeaway boxes in the freezer. Don't forget to put a sticker on it or write on it.

Scraggs wrote: »
    It depends on the flavour, many of them are free! I try to only have once or twice a week as they're very high in sugar. They're also nice frozen for 2-3 hours as an icecream type treat

I don't have em too often either, only buy when they're on offer. Must stick one in the freezer and see what it's like!

• Advertisement

The soup will last about 4 days in the fridge. It can be frozen in lunch boxes or takeaway boxes in the freezer. Don't forget to put a sticker on it or write on it.

Great. I can make it Sunday and it will last 'til Wednesday without freezing.

I must cut down on yoghurts.
    I'm still eating too much free stuff.

And will start the porridge and yoghurt top.

It's all about planning!

Ladies, how will I count a cappuccino?
    I had no sugar so I wonder if I can count it as a black coffee with HEXA for the milk?

I'm happy to syn it but don't know how many - instant cappuccino sachets are 3 syns - so will I put it at 3? It was out of a machine so wasn't powdered milk like you'd get in a sachet.

Are there any joining vouchers at the mo? I really need a boost. Been loosing slowly and steadily since last summer myself along SW principles but I'm really struggling the last month

It's half price to join until Feb 25th so first meeting cost me €18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It's half price to join until Feb 25th so first meeting cost me €18

Is 18 not enough for the first meeting? Wow!

Anyways I sucked it up and got there this morning. I've been following SW principles for about 5 months and lost a stone on my own. This morning I realised how much I had slipped for January (albeit that I'm on steroids and TOM). Been on track today and every single morsel has been logged/synned

Is 18 not enough for the first meeting? Wow!

Anyways I sucked it up and got there this morning. I've been following SW principles for about 5 months and lost a stone on my own. This morning I realised how much I had slipped for January (albeit that I'm on steroids and TOM). Been on track today and every single morsel has been logged/synned

I know, it's so expensive! And €9 per week but only £4.95 in the U.K. - not fair :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I know, it's so expensive! And €9 per week but only £4.95 in the U.K. - not fair :mad:

When I moved to doing it online it was during an offer and I ended up paying £30 for 3 months which is a massive difference! I think if there was a group that suited my working hours/members my age I'd prefer to go but at €9 a week it's pricy if you're not getting the benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

So I just did the so week, weighed my self this morning and I'm 2lbs heavier than thr ast time I weighed my self.

Wtf is going on there????!!!!

Because SW say eat as much free food as you like
    ...until you feel full.
    Portion control is important.
    Carbs don't suit my diet at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Ladies, how will I count a cappuccino?
    I had no sugar so I wonder if I can count it as a black coffee with HEXA for the milk?

I'm happy to syn it but don't know how many - instant cappuccino sachets are 3 syns - so will I put it at 3? It was out of a machine so wasn't powdered milk like you'd get in a sachet.

Try to get a barista to make it if you can and then you'll know what milk they're using. I would generally count a small- medium latte or cappuccino (with skimmed or semi-skimmed) as my hex a. I would avoid machines that make it because you don't know what they're using for milk (unless it's stated) and it's hard to actually tell. Sachets that you can buy in the shop are 3 so I would nearly use your hex a and 2-3 syns just to be safe. If it's a particularly big latte in a restaurant/coffee shop I would give myself 4-5 syns plus hex a (always better to be safe than sorry)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement