Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

As far as I know it's been there for at least 6 months, could be even longer. There's 2 classes. But the weighing from the 1st class almost runs in to the 2nd class. And the few Image Therapy sessions I've seen only last about 5 to 10 minutes. Last night when I got there, I counted about 30 people in front of me waiting to be weighed and by the time I got to the top of the queue there was the same again behind me. As I said I don't mind waiting for the Image Therapy but after all the effort of going, and waiting, and then no class, it's quite disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Areas wrote: »
    As far as I know it's been there for at least 6 months, could be even longer. There's 2 classes. But the weighing from the 1st class almost runs in to the 2nd class. And the few Image Therapy sessions I've seen only last about 5 to 10 minutes. Last night when I got there, I counted about 30 people in front of me waiting to be weighed and by the time I got to the top of the queue there was the same again behind me. As I said I don't mind waiting for the Image Therapy but after all the effort of going, and waiting, and then no class, it's quite disheartening.

Yeah I'd either get on to SW or vote with my feet and find another class. Most consultants run two classes back to back, but if theres that many going, she needs to ad another few. I doubt SW HQ would be happy with that set up, although that consultant is clearly making a mint.

I had a similar situation (never that the classes were actually cancelled) but just a class that was way oversubscribed in my view. I was having to queue for ages and the whole thing was just shambolic. I've started going to another class now, much quieter and much better.

Now, the consultant was lovely and asked me if I had any questions, or wanted to discuss anything. I could see that she had her material ready for the Image Therapy and it only dawned on me today that she probably could have quickly gone through that material with me.
    I didn't have anything in particular to ask but I found that during the Image Therapy I might pick up on a tip or 2 off people who were doing great, or people who were struggling had found a breakthrough etc.
    I'll contact slimming world and see what they think, I might have to move to a different location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Image therapy is seen as crucial to the whole journey. Both motivation and sharing of ideas - roughly an hour is allocated to it, so you're getting very short changed if you only get 10 mins, jaysus you'd hardly grab a cuppa in that time.

Is there any way you could get to another group as it doesn't sound as though you're getting the support you deserve and are paying for. Every consultant has a Team Developer assigned. If you drop a note through to SW Ireland, they will contact the TD who will 'call in' quietly

I should say that I'm not a consultant, but I'm married to one and a regular at group myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Started SW in May and in six weeks have lost 16 IBS which I'm thrilled with. Have another 26 IBS to go to target I set. Girl weighing me said I should maybe raise my target weigh. I set it at the top of range for my height and I thought 3 stone was achievable. Quite disheartened by her comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Started Girl weighing me said I should maybe raise my target weigh. I set it at the top of range for my height and I thought 3 stone was achievable. Quite disheartened by her comments.

Is she a target member herself? I've found the non-target member lifers are the most opinionated lol!! :p

Maybe she meant that you were doing so well, that you could be more ambitious if you wanted.

That said, she should probably keep that thought to herself until you're closer to your original target. Plenty of people rethink their targets but once once they've already gotten to the first one usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Started SW in May and in six weeks have lost 16 IBS which I'm thrilled with. Have another 26 IBS to go to target I set. Girl weighing me said I should maybe raise my target weigh. I set it at the top of range for my height and I thought 3 stone was achievable. Quite disheartened by her comments.
    Don't be, it might've came across the wrong way, but I'm sure she meant she believes you can go even further. You're obviously making great progress, and the way you're going you should achieve the target you set in no time; if you stay on trend you'd have lost your under 3 stone in 3 months!

That would be incredible going, and I'm sure she's coming from the perspective of 'Why stop there?', you're doing well as it is and to stop there while you have momentum would be a waste.

I've targeted my 'healthy-weight' threshold also, but I can see myself moving that as soon as I get there, because when I do get there I'd have already lost 4 stone, why not keep improving?

No she said raise my target by stone so I'd only 12 to lose more. Not a target member. Remember her from three years ago.

No she said raise my target by stone so I'd only 12 to lose more. Not a target member. Remember her from three years ago.

She was probably thinking about it from a short-term money-saving perspective then. :pac:

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about that, stick with your target and keep up your momentum. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Do you mean you set your target at the heaviest of your healthy weight range?
    That's the best way to do it imo.
    I know some consultants suggest setting it maybe half a stone higher than that as an initial target because some people like to reach a target, then relax for a whole before deciding whether to go further.
    You're making great progress - don't be disheartened by your consultant, she's not doubting your potential, just letting you know it can be done in stages. Sounds like she could've phrased things with a bit more tact though!l

Just read the more recent comments and realised she's not your consultant, just another member - don't mind her, it's just her opinion!
    Have a chat to your consultant about it and then decide what to do. Targets can always be changed anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'd normally not let the likes of her bother me but it was just the face on her. I set it at top of range and when I hopefully make it there I will consider another half stone. Perhaps she did mean well and meant I should aim a half stone at a time or that.
    Consultant really poor. She's a lot bigger than she was two years ago. Why don't the consultants do the weighing as no new members . Half seven in morning so few are hanging around anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lilythepinked

SozBbz wrote: »
    up 1.5lbs last night (after being away for the weekend so not entirely unexpected) but still a bit disheartening. I feel like I'm struggling to make real progress the last few months, due to various social engagements etc. I think I did well earlier on in the year simply by living my most boring life, but at the moment I feel like I've hens/weddings etc the whole time and can't have a few clear weeks where I can just focus on my diet. The weekends are a disaster and the weeks then damage limitation, and it just feels like I'm treading water :(

Just back from Holiday. Put on 4lbs!

Just back from Holiday. Put on 4lbs!

Ouch, I feel your pain. I hate feeling like I'm losing the same weight twice.

Sitting here in work at the moment, with my overnight oats made as per SW.

Gotta stay strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Annani

I've remained this week :(

Feeling disappointed.

Annani wrote: »
    I've remained this week :(

Feeling disappointed.

Keep working at it this week, stick to the plan and work towards one of the exercise achievements, it'll be worth it for next week! I know it can be disheartening to remain but think of the positive, at least it wasn't a gain :)

I started about 5 weeks ago and I've done the bronze activity award and I'm now working towards the silver. I don't know if it's recognised in the group, I'm just doing it myself and tracking it on the SW website. I started using the couch to 5k app. On week one I was just about able to run for 60 seconds and last night I manage to run for 5 minutes...twice! I hate the gym, but I go in, do my 30 minutes and leave. Maybe eventually I'll start doing classes and stuff but for now I'm very happy with what I'm doing.
    The great thing about the activity awards is that it starts out with a low time limit for the week and works it's way up and I really do feel the urge to go out and do something in the evenings now. I even found myself in the gym on the bank holiday Monday and again last Sunday!

I started about 5 weeks ago and I've done the bronze activity award and I'm now working towards the silver. I don't know if it's recognised in the group, I'm just doing it myself and tracking it on the SW website. I started using the couch to 5k app. On week one I was just about able to run for 60 seconds and last night I manage to run for 5 minutes...twice! I hate the gym, but I go in, do my 30 minutes and leave. Maybe eventually I'll start doing classes and stuff but for now I'm very happy with what I'm doing.
    The great thing about the activity awards is that it starts out with a low time limit for the week and works it's way up and I really do feel the urge to go out and do something in the evenings now. I even found myself in the gym on the bank holiday Monday and again last Sunday!

I did C25K a couple of summers ago when I was off from college and found it unreal in the progress that I made. I loved doing it at the time, but fell off the wagon when I started back and have never gotten the chance to get back into it.

Ever since I feel like I've been busy non-stop, between completing final year then going into work thereafter, which I feel has been stopping me from doing it as I'm always to tired to do it before or after work. But that's also why I'm enjoying SW so much, I can lose weight without having to commit too much energy to it. :pac:

Things are due to slow down in a couple of months however, and when that time comes I'll definitely try to get back into C25K!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

If you want the body magic awards recognised in your group you need to fill in an activity log and give it to your consultant, then you will get a certificate for them!

m'lady wrote: »
    If you want the body magic awards recognised in your group you need to fill in an activity log and give it to your consultant, then you will get a certificate for them!

I was filling them out and giving them to my consultant but she said that "they were for my eyes only".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

As I took a weeks holiday last week, I weighed in this evening, down 5lbs ( across 2 weeks) makes 19lbs total lost in 8 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Areas wrote:
    I was filling them out and giving them to my consultant but she said that "they were for my eyes only".

That's rubbish, a woman in my group has been doing it and she's got stickers for her book and wee awards too, she's working on her platinum now

That's rubbish, a woman in my group has been doing it and she's got stickers for her book and wee awards too, she's working on her platinum now

I mentioned it to my sister because she used to go to a class in Dublin and she was shocked, she thought the same thing as you, that I should be getting my stickers in class, and all that. I'm definitely considering moving to a different class now. The programme is working for me, but I kinda want my stickers! I do want to get my platinum award at the end of it as well! And I want to get my classes as well like I'm paying for. The final straw will be next week, if the class is cancelled that will make it 4 weeks in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I mentioned it to my sister because she used to go to a class in Dublin and she was shocked, she thought the same thing as you, that I should be getting my stickers in class, and all that. I'm definitely considering moving to a different class now. The programme is working for me, but I kinda want my stickers! I do want to get my platinum award at the end of it as well! And I want to get my classes as well like I'm paying for. The final straw will be next week, if the class is cancelled that will make it 4 weeks in a row.

To be honest I think your leader is a con artist if you don't mind my saying so. Weighing people en masse in order to greedily take their weekly fee and then essentially effing off with the money as she has repeatedly been letting you down. The comment above just completely confirms things. I'd phone SW and they will probably send someone along incognito to validate your concerns. None of what she is doing/not doing seems in line with what SW stands for!

First weigh in for me later.... fingers crossed! :)

And I want to get my classes as well like I'm paying for. The final straw will be next week, if the class is cancelled that will make it 4 weeks in a row.
    Sounded like the final straw was a week or two ago to be honest. If she's not giving out awards as she should, and cancelling multiple classes in a row, it's not going to get any better in my opinion.

Head elsewhere, and in the meantime try and get in touch with SW HQ/administrators and let them know what's going on in your location. Sounds like he/she's doing plenty of people out of money by not delivering what they're paying for.

Thanks guys! I've e-mailed SW and I might ring as well, just to get my point across. I'm looking in to other classes as well this morning. There's a few around which are slightly out of the way but I enjoy the programme so I think it'd be worth going to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I've been sliding (and haven't weighed myself in a week). I feel like I need to do something to kick it off again. I was doing so well (16lb in 10 weeks) and now I am hovering at the stone, sometimes up a pound, sometimes down one).

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've been sliding (and haven't weighed myself in a week). I feel like I need to do something to kick it off again. I was doing so well (16lb in 10 weeks) and now I am hovering at the stone, sometimes up a pound, sometimes down one).

Have you changed your eating habits in the past few weeks? You've done amazing so far! Just focus on what you've done so far!

OldNotWIse wrote: »

I feel you. Since I've gotten my club10, I've just been languishing a bit. Making a real effort this week so hopefully it will pay off. I think its also the time of year for me. I had a hen last weekend (ate EVERYTHING!) and then 2 weddings in the next 6 weeks, added to a week long conference in the US in between (how I'm going to prevent weight gain during that week I have no idea!) I've also booked a weekend away with himself and while that won't be OTT gluttonous, I'll still want to have a glass of wine(s!) and will be eating out.

I know these are awful first world problems but I somewhat miss the Jan/Feb/March time of year when theres nothing on and I can do my Slimming World without interruption!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Areas wrote:

Something not right there, I wouldn't even bother going back next week. I would find a new group and tell them exactly why you switched! I know they're only stickers but you deserve them and the woman in my group gets a clap and a cheer whenever she gets one. Hope you find a group that treats you how you deserve

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement