Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Something not right there, I wouldn't even bother going back next week. I would find a new group and tell them exactly why you switched! I know they're only stickers but you deserve them and the woman in my group gets a clap and a cheer whenever she gets one. Hope you find a group that treats you how you deserve

+1. I felt mine wasn't for me anymore and it really demotivated me? As it stands now I've gone the 8 weeks without weighing in because I just couldn't get to class so I'll lose access to the app/website. I don't know if I get them back once I do get to group again or if that's it!
    I never got a sticker for being a target member for over a year either - target members were ignored in our group so again no motivation for me to ever stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Sorry to hear that! I'm going to go to Monday, tell her why I'm changing and where I'm going to. I feel like she should know that I'm leaving because I'm not happy, and not because I've given up on the programme.
    Would you be able to find any other classes around tk123?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Areas wrote: »
    Would you be able to find any other classes around tk123?

They don't suit me time wise. Unless I have a day off and go in the morning! I'm doing ok on my own for now anyways so not in too much of a panic.. yet! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Absolutely thrilled, lost 3.5lbs! :)

Got some good news today, there's a new class starting up in the hotel across the road, some time in July, I'm going to call over during lunch and see if they have a start date. That's where i go to the gym so I'm delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Have you changed your eating habits in the past few weeks? You've done amazing so far! Just focus on what you've done so far!

To be honest I think the first stone to 16lbs was the result of "easy wins" such as giving up eating entire cheese pizzas by myself or having four toasted cheese sandwiches for supper, chocolate every day etc. So now that that is gone, I need to ramp it up a gear. I tend to have the same thing every day - an omelet on whole meal toast for breakfast, a home made veggie stew with brown rice or a baked potato for lunch (which is actually a dinner portion) and then at dinner time just a salad. I also eat a lot of fruit and drink lots of water during the day. The demon..... is the drink, which I have not synned and this is really what is slowing things down if I am honest!

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The demon..... is the drink, which I have not synned and this is really what is slowing things down if I am honest!

What do you usually drink? I was out a few weeks ago and stuck to the vodka and soda water and lime (I'd usually go for diet 7up but my sister was drinking that and it was easier to order the same drink!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

To be honest I think the first stone to 16lbs was the result of "easy wins" such as giving up eating entire cheese pizzas by myself or having four toasted cheese sandwiches for supper, chocolate every day etc. So now that that is gone, I need to ramp it up a gear. I tend to have the same thing every day - an omelet on whole meal toast for breakfast, a home made veggie stew with brown rice or a baked potato for lunch (which is actually a dinner portion) and then at dinner time just a salad. I also eat a lot of fruit and drink lots of water during the day. The demon..... is the drink, which I have not synned and this is really what is slowing things down if I am honest!

Humm... yeah drink is really going to get in your way. I'm not saying I never go over my syns with it, but I know when I'm doing so that I'm likely not going to see much loss that week. Whats your tipple of choice? If its wine/beer, could you switch of a spirit/slim mixer?

Your diet sounds quite repetitive and hard to stick to in the long run. Are you a vegetarian by any chance? I didnt notice any fish/meat in what you listed. I'm not a veggie, but I do like to cook from the Happy Pear cookbook a bit, their stuff is very adaptable to be SW friendly.

What do you usually drink? I was out a few weeks ago and stuck to the vodka and soda water and lime (I'd usually go for diet 7up but my sister was drinking that and it was easier to order the same drink!).

I wouldn't think much of putting away a bottle of shiraz of an evening to be honest. If I am out, I stick with beer which I know is the worst but I find pub measures and prices of spirits and mixers boarders on extortion! If I wanted a spirit at the weekend I would have a vodka (or sometimes a gin) with slimline tonic which is very refreshing especially as you say with lime.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Humm... yeah drink is really going to get in your way. I'm not saying I never go over my syns with it, but I know when I'm doing so that I'm likely not going to see much loss that week. Whats your tipple of choice? If its wine/beer, could you switch of a spirit/slim mixer?

Your diet sounds quite repetitive and hard to stick to in the long run. Are you a vegetarian by any chance? I didnt notice any fish/meat in what you listed. I'm not a veggie, but I do like to cook from the Happy Pear cookbook a bit, their stuff is very adaptable to be SW friendly.

Yes I'm veggie. Actually I could eat the stew every day, it's amazing - if anyone wants the recipe! And it's cheap, low fat and high in protein. If I was out, I would vary my meal and try to get curries with tofu etc and salads with "good" fats such as feta, olives, avocado etc. I know these are synned high but I don't get any saturated fat from meat so I would be a little more free and easy with these products. I find eggs are really a life-saver. They are so filling. At the weekend, there is nothing nicer than scrambling up 3 or 4 of them and having that with rye bread and a big mug of tea :)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think much of putting away a bottle of shiraz of an evening to be honest. If I am out, I stick with beer which I know is the worst but I find pub measures and prices of spirits and mixers boarders on extortion! If I wanted a spirit at the weekend I would have a vodka (or sometimes a gin) with slimline tonic which is very refreshing especially as you say with lime.

So i don't really like slimline tonic, the only one I drink is Fever Tree Naturally Light, whcih I can't always get when out, so then I just have a vodka, soda and fresh lime.

At home tho, I love making myself a nice G&T. I've 6/7 different gins in the house and my latest thing is to use a slice of orange instead of lime, its delicious, especially with a botanical gin. And then I eat the orange when Im done!

I know pub prices are a nonsense but maybe had water on one round to make it average out? Wine and beer are both just so bad for weightloss.

Yes I'm veggie. Actually I could eat the stew every day, it's amazing - if anyone wants the recipe! And it's cheap, low fat and high in protein. If I was out, I would vary my meal and try to get curries with tofu etc and salads with "good" fats such as feta, olives, avocado etc. I know these are synned high but I don't get any saturated fat from meat so I would be a little more free and easy with these products. I find eggs are really a life-saver. They are so filling. At the weekend, there is nothing nicer than scrambling up 3 or 4 of them and having that with rye bread and a big mug of tea :)

All recipies welcome :)

I'd really recommend the Happy Pear red lental dahl - says it serves 4 but I get even more out of it, and like you said above, its super low in fat but high in protein and fiber and full of veg. Might make a nice change :)

I'd really recommend the Happy Pear red lental dahl - says it serves 4 but I get even more out of it, and like you said above, its super low in fat but high in protein and fiber and full of veg. Might make a nice change :)

Sweet Paprika Veggie "Curry"

In a large pot, fry some finely chopped onion. Add black pepper, white pepper, chilli powder and sweet paprika powder. Stir in half a tube of tomato paste and then add in a chopped sweet red pepper,two cans of rinsed kidney beans, 1 can of rinsed chickpeas, a can of drained sweetcorn, a can of chopped tomatoes, a mug of red lentils and a mug of vegetable stock. optional: Add in one or two par boiled diced sweet potatoes. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat. Add in 3/4 carton of sweetened soy milk. Add a good dash of sweet paprika.Cook on low heat for about 30 minutes.

Serve with brown rice or over a baked potato. It is so filling!

I discovered that the soy milk is a great way to make a very creamy dish without using dairy and without using higher fat coconut milk. Soy is really low fat and you wouldn't believe how creamy it makes the dish. Coupled with the sweet paprika, the taste really is amazing. :) And all of the ingredients can be bought in Lidl for less than a tenner - and it makes about 5 or 6 servings.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I'm on day 5 of the first week. I feel like I've lost weight (if that's possible). Weigh in on Monday. Fingers crossed. I kinda miss bread at this stage. I'm doing an extra easy SP day today and tomorrow so hopefully it'll pay offf.

I made this today and it was really good! Thanks for the recipe! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi Everyone :) Just thought I'd pop in here, did slimming world before and didn't click with it, but went back again 8 weeks ago and I don't know why I found it difficult before because it's really working now!I'm already down 1st3lbs :D I've not has the best of weekends drinks wise, and am going out for fathers day dinner to make things worse, so I was thinking of trying some SP days next week to put me back on track. I think I've got the basic concept - half speed, half protein, no free foods, 1xHEa 2xHEb and your normal syns, but say for breakfast, could I still have weetabix and fruit or is this a no because there's no protein? Thanks :D

Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind if I pick your brains a little. Still trying to get my head around it a little.

Pasta and potatoes and rice noodles are all free foods on the Extra Easy plan. Why are koka noodles 6.5 syns? I don't understand, I can eat loads of pasta syn free but a single pack of noodles is 6.5 syns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind if I pick your brains a little. Still trying to get my head around it a little.

Pasta and potatoes and rice noodles are all free foods on the Extra Easy plan. Why are koka noodles 6.5 syns? I don't understand, I can eat loads of pasta syn free but a single pack of noodles is 6.5 syns?

I think it is because they are coated with oil and contain additives etc. The normal dry noodles that you boil and then fry are free.

m'lady wrote: »
    I think it is because they are coated with oil and contain additives etc. The normal dry noodles that you boil and then fry are free.

ah okay. These aren't the ones in the styrofoam pot like, they're just the ones from the orange plastic pack that you boil in a pot on the cooker. Wasn't aware they were coated in oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Would anyone know the syns in Fitzgerald's Wholemeal Bagels? The normal ones, not the slims!

• Advertisement

48g are 5.5 and the 85g ones are 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

ShazGV wrote: »
    Would anyone know the syns in Fitzgerald's Wholemeal Bagels? The normal ones, not the slims!

Fitzgeralds Family Bakery Deli Style Bagels, Hi Fibre Wholemeal (85g each) is 11 syns.

Ooooooooh boy. Thank you both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

My first week I didn't pay attention and was eating those bagels as my HexB. Did 2 SP days and would eat 2 of them! I was sickened when I saw the size of the slims that I was expected to eat!!!

First weigh in. Down 3lb. Kinda happy with that, just need to keep it up.

Aiming to just maintain my weight as I've exams all this week and want to focus on those, not on losing weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Had my weigh-in last night, down 4lbs!
    Very happy with that, got SotW and my stone and a half award + 3lbs off on top of that. Was aiming to get for 4lbs off this week as well, as it brought me down to a nice round figure of 'X'st 0lbs, but I didn't think I'd get it to be honest.

I've one more weigh-in before I head on holidays so I really have to make these weeks count. I'll aim high again for another 4lbs, which should bring me down to my 2 stone award.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Nailz wrote: »
    Had my weigh-in last night, down 4lbs!
    Very happy with that, got SotW and my stone and a half award + 3lbs off on top of that. Was aiming to get for 4lbs off this week as well, as it brought me down to a nice round figure of 'X'st 0lbs, but I didn't think I'd get it to be honest.

I've one more weigh-in before I head on holidays so I really have to make these weeks count. I'll aim high again for another 4lbs, which should bring me down to my 2 stone award.

Well done. Any tips. I'm playing around with same pound up and down for last few weeks.

My first week I didn't pay attention and was eating those bagels as my HexB. Did 2 SP days and would eat 2 of them! I was sickened when I saw the size of the slims that I was expected to eat!!!

I knew the normal ones weren't HexB but I didn't think they'd be quite that bad! There goes me pretending I'm still being good by eating wholemeal instead of a normal one. :D

Back to the slims I go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well done. Any tips. I'm playing around with same pound up and down for last few weeks.
    Thanks Mary! One thing that I've been doing a lot of the past number of weeks is having about 2/3 SP days over the course of the week; i.e. days with no free foods, but twice your HExB, as well as having as much speed and protein foods as you like while keeping within your regular syn limit.

These work a charm for me, as I love meat and I can use my veggie speed foods to compliment them nicely. I just eat fruit and smoked salmon to keep me going between meals. I like my potatoes, noodles, pasta, and rice as much as the next person, but I honestly can give or take them depending on the meal. But this is where a lot of people would fall down on SP days however, as I know many folks who couldn't go without a potato or chips with their big meals.

But personally speaking, if I was to have a burger, steak, chicken salad, or a meaty breakfast, I could go without those kind of speed foods. The extra HExB helps out in this regard too, and expands your options in terms of the choice of meals you can make on SP days.

That's what I find helps me boost my weight loss anyway, I hope that help you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Hey all, thinking of joining SW after reading a few posts. I see theres one close by in The Westwood Hotel Newcastle Galway. Tried ringing the number earlier but no answer.
    Does anyone go to this one? Thanks and congrats on your successes so far!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement