Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hey all, thinking of joining SW after reading a few posts. I see theres one close by in The Westwood Hotel Newcastle Galway. Tried ringing the number earlier but no answer.
    Does anyone go to this one? Thanks and congrats on your successes so far!

That group is on a Tuesday evening isn't it? Just bear in mind most consultants won't answer the phone during group!
    Good luck with it, I'm a kind of lapsed member building up to getting back on the SW train, highly recommend the plan and wish you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

dee_mc wrote: »
    That group is on a Tuesday evening isn't it? Just bear in mind most consultants won't answer the phone during group!
    Good luck with it, I'm a kind of lapsed member building up to getting back on the SW train, highly recommend the plan and wish you all the best!

God you're right, silly me. Thanks a million! I'm going on holidays in two months so any loss at all would be great. I'm a bt fond of the vodka tonics so I think that's the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Busy day yesterday so I didn't get to check in! Weighed in on Monday and I was 2.5 pounds and I got a cert for slimmer of the week for the previous week (I was 4 pounds down that week). So in total I'm down 18.5 pounds. Just another 2.5 to get my 1.5 stone!
    Had a tough enough day yesterday because I was at an all day function surrounded by lovely sweets and scones and cakes. But I stuck to the fruit that wasn't covered in chocolate and had a lovely salad on the way home on the train so I'm happy with my choices. Back to working on my silver activity achievement today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

God you're right, silly me. Thanks a million! I'm going on holidays in two months so any loss at all would be great. I'm a bt fond of the vodka tonics so I think that's the hard part.

I'm a big fan of gin and tonics, but you just make sure to include them in your allocated syns and it works. I switched to slimline tonic when I started on SW.

I'm just back from a week in Spain and weighed in this morning. Down 4lbs somehow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Down 2.5lbs, got my stone and half award (21.5 total ) onwards and downwards !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi all,
    I'm a year in and almost 4 stone down. Can't believe it. As the Naked Blondie always says 'One foot in front of the other, just keep going'. It's so worth it and the best plan I've ever followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have the opportunity of starting personal training, 3 sessions a week for a month. But I've heard that over exercising can slow down and even stunt losses on the scales.
    And for my own sanity I really need to see the numbers going down each week!
    Anyone have any thoughts or experience with doing a lot of exercise/personal training while on plan? Did you still lose or was your progress stunted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I have the opportunity of starting personal training, 3 sessions a week for a month. But I've heard that over exercising can slow down and even stunt losses on the scales.
    And for my own sanity I really need to see the numbers going down each week!
    Anyone have any thoughts or experience with doing a lot of exercise/personal training while on plan? Did you still lose or was your progress stunted?

I train. I've been training the entire time I've been doing SW and have lot 26lbs net but have probably gained muscle.

Depending on what you have left to lose, yes it might stall your progress on the scales, however you will be making improvements in your body composition, so you should notice inch loss. Ask the trainer if they'll be taking your measurements.

If you drop a dress size but still weigh the same, does it matter?

Loads of people in SW don't really agree with the type of training I do, the either do nothing or do cardio, but I don't care, I want to be fitter and stronger and thats whats working for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

SozBbz wrote: »
    I train. I've been training the entire time I've been doing SW and have lot 26lbs net but have probably gained muscle.

Depending on what you have left to lose, yes it might stall your progress on the scales, however you will be making improvements in your body composition, so you should notice inch loss. Ask the trainer if they'll be taking your measurements.

If you drop a dress size but still weigh the same, does it matter?

Loads of people in SW don't really agree with the type of training I do, the either do nothing or do cardio, but I don't care, I want to be fitter and stronger and thats whats working for me.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. Can I ask how long you've been training for/on plan?

I'm nowhere near target, keep stopping and starting. Only have 2st to lose but can't seem to get into a routine, I was thinking gym would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, very helpful. Can I ask how long you've been training for/on plan?

I'm nowhere near target, keep stopping and starting. Only have 2st to lose but can't seem to get into a routine, I was thinking gym would help.

I started at a fairly moderate level back in October- December but then upped it from January onwards. I started SW in January, so only slightly after my training got more serious.

I'm much, much fitter and stronger now.

One thing to say, is that if you're training you need to do Slimming World in a way that supports that. What I mean is I eat real food, and cook from scratch as much as possible. I don't touch Mugshots, Naked Noodles, Muller Lights etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Seriously?!

Got back on the SW bandwagon tonight after a 7 week absence!! Going to give it my all this week and hopefully all my hard work will pay off next week as I know what I need to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'd just like to ask a question. If you join on the 12 week programme does it have to be 12 consecutive weeks?
    I'm asking because I'm going on holidays in 9 weeks so wouldn't be there for 2 of the last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I'd just like to ask a question. If you join on the 12 week programme does it have to be 12 consecutive weeks?
    I'm asking because I'm going on holidays in 9 weeks so wouldn't be there for 2 of the last 3 weeks.

You can book holidays so it's no problem. Think you can have 6 weeks holidays per year. So if you sign up for the 12 week program just book your 2 week holiday and you're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Just book your holidays as you buy the countdown as you won't be able to afterwards, you will lose 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Joined up tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Any tips on shifting the final few pounds!
    Delighted to have lost 18 lbs at SW all to half pound! Didn't have a huge amount to loose but it was a lot for me, was kind of hoping that I would get to my goal tonight as I had only 1.5 pounds to target, down 1lb my BMI 24
    I have noticed the BMI reducing as the weight went down. Going to a wedding tomorrow, didnt have to buy anything as I can fit very comfortably into clothes I have for years and didn't have the confidence or figure to wear them, also love to be wearing the shorts again.
    I have done all the programmes down through the years and made the same mistake each time I got target of thinking after a while I am fine now I can do this on my own, the most I put up is a stone and a half, that's with four grown up adult children.

I have made a promise to myself this time, to do something different, stick with the maintenance and with the plan and keep it off, I feel fitter, healthier, more confident, the benefits are numerous, I don't go to the gym, walking and swimming are my activities with a little bit of set dancing!
    Would appreciate any tips to get me over the line! Thanks for reading and good luck to all my fellow SW colleagues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Any tips on shifting the final few pounds!
    Delighted to have lost 18 lbs at SW all to half pound! Didn't have a huge amount to loose but it was a lot for me, was kind of hoping that I would get to my goal tonight as I had only 1.5 pounds to target, down 1lb my BMI 24
    I have noticed the BMI reducing as the weight went down. Going to a wedding tomorrow, didnt have to buy anything as I can fit very comfortably into clothes I have for years and didn't have the confidence or figure to wear them, also love to be wearing the shorts again.
    I have done all the programmes down through the years and made the same mistake each time I got target of thinking after a while I am fine now I can do this on my own, the most I put up is a stone and a half, that's with four grown up adult children.

I have made a promise to myself this time, to do something different, stick with the maintenance and with the plan and keep it off, I feel fitter, healthier, more confident, the benefits are numerous, I don't go to the gym, walking and swimming are my activities with a little bit of set dancing!
    Would appreciate any tips to get me over the line! Thanks for reading and good luck to all my fellow SW colleagues!

Hi Banoffie,
    Well done on being close to target! I've been at target over 1.5 years after losing slightly over 3 stone.

To lose the last few pounds you have a few choices - continue what you've been doing and maybe reduce your syns slightly? - Or you could try a few SP days- that might help shift it? Another option would be to change around what you've been eating, like if you *always* have porridge for your breakfasts with to fruit or whatever. One thing that did help me was to drink 2 litres of water every day- that got me over the finish line!

When you reach target the best advice I can give you is to continue to get weighed in as regularly as you can, I go every week to keep me on the straight and narrow as I know if I didn't I would go astray!
    The maintenance plan needs to be looked upon as a lifestyle not even a plan if you get me?

I'm not sure if you are on Facebook but there's a good group for target members, if your interested let me know and I'll give you the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks and now I am afraid to. Is that the most ridiculous thing ever? I just got under the stone mark and then I went on holidays and went over (by a pound). Then I was so disheartened I stopped weighing in. I've been really good food wise (and exercising a lot) but still finding it difficult to give up the drink, especially as work is completely demanding and stressful these days - so I am quick to reach for a glass of shiraz in the evening! I know I need to just get back up the scales, see where I am at and keep going. I have so much behind me already (16lb) but can only focus on what is in front (another 26lb)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Annani

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks and now I am afraid to. Is that the most ridiculous thing ever? I just got under the stone mark and then I went on holidays and went over (by a pound). Then I was so disheartened I stopped weighing in. I've been really good food wise (and exercising a lot) but still finding it difficult to give up the drink, especially as work is completely demanding and stressful these days - so I am quick to reach for a glass of shiraz in the evening! I know I need to just get back up the scales, see where I am at and keep going. I have so much behind me already (16lb) but can only focus on what is in front (another 26lb)

I know it can be so hard to get on the scales again after a gain. I was dreading weighing in this week because I maintained last week and was so annoyed!

I only lost half a pound this week but got my club 10 award so I was really glad I did weigh myself. It's great to see the progress on the chart even if at the moment my weight loss is quite slow.

Swimming world say that people who weigh each week do bettter. You've lost loads already so you can do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Was down two this week and only have 1.5 to get my stone and a half, but I'm away for the weekend and there will be drinks, and lots of them! I'm switching from beer to gin and slim which should be better than drinking pints, but would
    Doing a few SP days when I get back
    Monday save me do ye think? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Was down two this week and only have 1.5 to get my stone and a half, but I'm away for the weekend and there will be drinks, and lots of them! I'm switching from beer to gin and slim which should be better than drinking pints, but would
    Doing a few SP days when I get back
    Monday save me do ye think? :pac:
    Know the feeling, have a postponed Father's Day meal tonight and a mate's housewarming tomorrow night (where drinks will more than likely be had :pac:), so I'll be feeling the pressure to claw back any potential gains on Sunday and Monday for my weigh-in on Monday!

Doesn't help the fact I set an already unrealistic target of a 4lb loss for then. :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm wondering can someone help me. I stopped attending group a while back as I couldn't justify the weekly spend, and now I don't have access to the syn calculator anymore. Can someone check for me if the Amoy straight to wok medium noodles are free? I'm getting conflicting information online about which ones are free and which aren't :/

I've been using spirallised courgettes for ages now as a noodle substitute and I'm getting sick of them, need some actual noodles again for a while! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Annani

I'm wondering can someone help me. I stopped attending group a while back as I couldn't justify the weekly spend, and now I don't have access to the syn calculator anymore. Can someone check for me if the Amoy straight to wok medium noodles are free? I'm getting conflicting information online about which ones are free and which aren't :/

I've been using spirallised courgettes for ages now as a noodle substitute and I'm getting sick of them, need some actual noodles again for a while! :pac:

The rice ones are free but the other ones are 1.5 syns for 150g

Dried noodles are free.

The Amoy ones are yum though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Annani wrote: »

Dried noodles are free.

Thanks for that, appreciate it! 1.5 is grand for a 150 pack, good amount in those :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Annani wrote: »

Dried noodles are free.

Think the udon ones are free also.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Down another 2lb. Delighted. That's 5lb down in 2 weeks.

This is a fantastic plan. I think what makes it so workable is there's minimal weighing of food and it's just eat as much of the free foods as you like. It really is a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

Plus the group is lovely. So many friendly people and it's genuinely all shapes and sizes. The group consultant is great too. She keeps in touch and keeps egging everyone on.

Weighed in and I'm down another 5lbs! Absolutely delighted, with that I got my 2st award (needed 4lbs) and my Club 10 (needed 2), this is quite a weird and wonderful plan! I ate out twice last weekend, albeit while making sensible choices, and still managed to go beyond my target for the week.

4 more stickers to add to the back of the book (including SotW/SotM), couldn't be happier with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Down another 2 pounds last night which brings me to 1st 6.5 pounds. I'm mostly following an SP week this week (except for Friday because of a concert).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Started this morning

Any good ideas for milk storage ?

Dont want to use a small coke bottle , is there a wide neck bottle that i can get thats easy to clean out etc

• Advertisement

Started this morning

Any good ideas for milk storage ?

Dont want to use a small coke bottle , is there a wide neck bottle that i can get thats easy to clean out etc
    I don't know how to describe this to make it distinct from other glass bottles/jars, but there's a small 300/350ml glass bottle available in SuperValue at the moment in the kitchen ware/home design section that all the Irish Social Media Slimmers seem to use to measure out their daily milk allowance and use it throughout the day.

From what I remember it's a wide neck bottle also, with about an 1.5 inch opening; that should be plenty of room to jam in a scrubbing brush.
    I'd say if you look around SuperValu you'll know it when you see it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement