Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Definitely not enough food AT ALL. Like another poster said, try to make your meals as balanced as possible. Breakfast could be overnight oats (50g porridge oats, sliced banana, yogurt and frozen raspberries), lunch could be a chicken salad (plenty of speed and lots of filling power) and then dinner could be fish or meat, potatoes, salad or frozen veg. Having meals that fill you and are as free as possible is the ideal. You're depending a lot on processed food and the muller yogurts are great, but they're sweetener heavy. Try to eat free fruit if you're feeling hungry- mandarins, nectarines, raspberries etc. I often eat bits of ham or even smoked salmon if I'm hungry as well. It's tough at the start, but no wonder you're starving, you poor thing. Get yourself some protein :)

Just in case it's not a typo cazzer, it's 40g of porridge oats for your healthy b- those extra 10g could add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

m'lady wrote: »
    Just in case it's not a typo cazzer, it's 40g of porridge oats for your healthy b- those extra 10g could add up!

EEEK. Yes. Definite typo. Thanks for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Week 15 down 1lbs = 34lb total , happy with that as I certainly did enjoy myself at the wedding over the weekend. Onwards and downwards

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Hi folks,

I'm new here. Lost a lot of weight on SW a few years ago (went from around 17.5 stone to 12.5).

Now I'm back heavier than ever (19.5) so need to get back to it. Going to try at home myself with what I remember from SW, glad to see this thread for inspiration!

KJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

KayJay86 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm new here. Lost a lot of weight on SW a few years ago (went from around 17.5 stone to 12.5).

Now I'm back heavier than ever (19.5) so need to get back to it. Going to try at home myself with what I remember from SW, glad to see this thread for inspiration!

KJ.

Best of luck KJ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Hi folks,

KJ.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Hi folks,

KJ.

I've recently started back myself and can definitely relate! I was so fecking close to target and now I'm 5 stone away :P well done for getting back on it and best of luck.

As said above well done for coming back! It's not an east decision to make sometimes!

I've recently started back myself and can definitely relate! I was so fecking close to target and now I'm 5 stone away :P well done for getting back on it and best of luck.

Thanks, good luck to you!

3 stone 10.5 pounds. Roll on the 4 stone. Has anyone got advice on where to stop? I was aiming for 4 stone, but I still feel like I could go another half stone. Should I stop based on the recommended weight for my height?

• Advertisement

cazzer22 wrote: »
    3 stone 10.5 pounds. Roll on the 4 stone. Has anyone got advice on where to stop? I was aiming for 4 stone, but I still feel like I could go another half stone. Should I stop based on the recommended weight for my height?

Personally I'm going to aim for somewhere mid way between the upper limit and the lower limit for the height on the BMI chart. It's a bit far off for me, but I suppose you'll know yourself what target you're comfortable with. Maybe have a chat with your consultant?

I find photos help too. Its hard to analyse shape etc. in front of the mirror so I used photos to see if I was happy with how I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Another 1.5 pounds down. I was hoping for a bigger loss but I'll take it!

Areas wrote: »
    Personally I'm going to aim for somewhere mid way between the upper limit and the lower limit for the height on the BMI chart. It's a bit far off for me, but I suppose you'll know yourself what target you're comfortable with. Maybe have a chat with your consultant?

Yeah you're right, I think I'll probably know when it's time to stop and I'm definitely gonna aim for in between the recommended weight for my height. Thanks for the suggestion :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

0.5 lb down last night, was hoping for more but cant complain too much since it's star week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Can anyone explain this?

Originally back when I did slimming world, my folks did it too. My dad never synned beer and drank every night. He lost 2- 2.5 stone in a year.

I'm back on it now 2 weeks, haven't synned beer and have lost 7lb.

Can anyone explain this?

Originally back when I did slimming world, my folks did it too. My dad never synned beer and drank every night. He lost 2- 2.5 stone in a year.

Did your father work a physical job? Was he very large (higher calorie/syn threshold)? Did he rarely hit his syn limit from eating food or non-alcoholic drinks?

If the answer yes to one of those, or even combination of those, then it's very likely that the calories in those beers did not outweigh that amount that he was burning; and that could all very well be the case for you.

Another caveat to this is a very interesting one and often works against the supposed 'science' behind SW, and it's that the human metabolism actually processes ethanol (or drinking alcohol) in a different way to how it would process food, for example.
    I'm not totally familiar with the science supporting this, but generally the calories consumed through having a drink - while numerically it might contain a certain about of calories - is not the same as consuming the same amount of calories, but in food form.

How this translates to the body is volatile but it can often mean that beer won't add as much weight as people think, but this is not always the case. Obviously moderation is involved here of course; after all, there is such a thing as a beer belly. And to be honest I avoid booze if I can because otherwise it might complicate things (as hard as that is). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

He's in construction, but more on the management side now days, than actual labouring. He started off at about 14St so not exactly big.

It will be interesting to see how it works as we get closer and closer to lower weights.

Went in for my dreaded Bank Holiday Monday weigh-in yesterday afternoon, but managed to be down 3.5lb, getting my 2 1/2 stone award in my tenth weigh-in including holidays! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Very bad the weekend - lots of bread. That time of the month so I just wanted to eat and eat. Still, compared with my "bad" six months ago it is still ok. Bad now = a few bread rolls with cheese and mayo... bad then = a couple of pizzas! Also with painkillers feel a bit of water retention so I stayed away from scales as I would lose motivation. Back on track today!

• Advertisement

Weighed in last night, 3lbs down! Really happy as I had a crap week with back pain and a cold. Maybe the cold helped as I had no appetite over the weekend! Really hoping for a 2lb loss next week for my 2.5 stone award!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Weighed in last night. Lost 2lb over the last 2 weeks which I'm very happy with. I had a horrible cold and it was birthday central in my house so was quite off-plan.

Going to try for 2lb this week. Really want it as I'll get my 1 stone award then.

Currently half way to target

Can anyone explain this?

It's a mystery! I have always refused to syn my drink and I have lost 24 pounds in five months. Though when I gloat on it my Mam reminds me my loss would have been bigger if I had syned my drink :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I'm the opposite - even if I have 1/2 drinks at the weekend I'll inevitably have a gain or a maintain- never a loss!

m'lady wrote: »
    I'm the opposite - even if I have 1/2 drinks at the weekend I'll inevitably have a gain or a maintain- never a loss!

My mam is like this too. If she has one spirit she will be up! So, I reckon all the years of drinking have made me weight immune - I'd be afraid to stop now! :P

My friend has been doing SW at another group for a few months now. She asked her consultant about doing an SP week and the consultant said that she doesn't believe in doing SP weeks. Has anyone heard this before?

Week 16 down 2lbs = 36lbs total , got my 2 and 1/2 stone cert also. Went over my syns most days as I am on holidays from work, no exercise as of yet. Onwards and downwards

Valyawl wrote: »
    Week 16 down 2lbs = 36lbs total , got my 2 and 1/2 stone cert also. Went over my syns most days as I am on holidays from work, no exercise as of yet. Onwards and downwards

wow :D That's fantastic!

I have tried every "diet " under the sun and out of them all this is the best for me. It does take being organised and prepared so it doesn't come easy.
    I am also just going through a relationship break up (together nearly 4 years, I broke up with him 3 weeks ago) so all in all it has been tough few months for me, so I must not fall into the chocolate and crisps which I could so easily do!
    I love reading everyones updates on this, thanks for reading mine. Val

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Valyawl wrote: »
    I have tried every "diet " under the sun and out of them all this is the best for me. It does take being organised and prepared so it doesn't come easy.
    I am also just going through a relationship break up (together nearly 4 years, I broke up with him 3 weeks ago) so all in all it has been tough few months for me, so I must not fall into the chocolate and crisps which I could so easily do!
    I love reading everyones updates on this, thanks for reading mine. Val

Well done on staying strong even though you're having such a tough time of it. It's funny, I'd been going on and on about my weight and "oh I'm going to lose weight" and "Oh I'm going to take up HIIT" and "I'm going to watch what I'm eating" for ages and not actually doing a thing about it. Then when things got more stressful I joined SW and just got stuck into it. I think sometimes the discipline of it and the fact that you're doing something for yourself can actually be helpful when you're stressed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement